HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

chatdeau

1,131 posts in this topic

******************************************************************************************************************************

IF YOU WANT A RAW COPY (THAT INCLUDES ACTUAL FORMATTING) OF THIS UNFINISHED GUIDE, ASK ME THROUGH PRIVATE MESSAGE, THEN MODIFY IT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME THROUGH PRIVATE MESSAGE, IT'LL BE A PLEASURE TO UPDATE IT, BUT I'M NOT ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE -- ALSO, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HAVE THIS THREAD'S OWNERSHIP CHANGED AND WANT TO OWN IT, LET ME KNOW HOW TO PROCEED AS I DO NOT WISH TO KEEP IT FOR ME, THANKS!

******************************************************************************************************************************

Hi,

I'm starting this new topic in the hope to, progessively, create a guide for a vanilla (as much as possible) OS X Installation on Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations. I invite you to participate in the comments so that this topic becomes an easy-to-follow guide. The idea of doing this emerged from information exchanged with other members (proteinshake, MacPeet, zhangtemplar, MacUser2525, nitelava & apav) in topic titled "Fix my HP! Just a few random DSDT-edits to improve your HacMac experience." originally created by proteinshake.

Main goals of this guide

• Explain manual procedures;
  • Avoid "magical" utilities, but don't ignore them (they can sometimes be time/life savers);
  • Make you become independent & aware of the inner mechanics of creating a functional Hackintosh, so that you can repeat & adapt those procedures for future hackintosh projects.

*** AS THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS TOPIC, I WILL NEED SOME HELP TO GATHER ACCURATE INFORMATION ***

HELP NEEDED, PLEASE READ THIS SECTION, THANKS!

As I only own a Z400 Workstation, I'd need you (those who own Z600 and Z800 Workstations) to send me your lspci output. To do so, you have 2 options:

1. Boot with a Linux LiveCD (see the Tools/Utilities/kexts or other useful links section at the bottom of this post);
  2. If you already have an OSX version installed, you'll need to install lspci (see the Tools/Utilities/kexts or other useful links section at the bottom of this post).

Type the following command :

lspci -nnvv >~/Desktop/lspci-nnvv_output.txt

If you are using Linux, please also type this command (before creating the following, make sure you updated your BIOS to v03.57) :

sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT >~/Desktop/DSDT.aml

OR:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt >~/Desktop/DSDT.aml

(whichever works for you)

Copy those files to a USB flash drive, send them to yourself by email or whatever other method you want. Then, reply to this topic mentionning which workstation you have, and attach the file(s) created above.

ALSO, if you got Clover to boot your Z400 / Z600 / Z800 Worktation, PLEASE send us your config.plist so that we can have a starting point. I'm trying to switch from Chameleon to Clover, but I'm still unable to fix a Kernel Panic I have; I will report it with a screenshot soon in the comments, maybe some of you might know why I get it.

Requirements

1. Another Mac or Hackintosh machine;
  2. 8GB+ USB flash drive;
  3. BIOS updated to latest version (v03.57, 2013-09-20 release, found HERE);
    1. This is mandatory for 2 reasons :
      1. patched DSDT files included in this guide will not work (properly) if you use a different BIOS version;
      2. that latest BIOS version fixes possible erratic behaviours with Xeon 3600 & 5600 CPU series.
  4. Z400/Z600/Z800 specific files (see Z400/Z600/Z800 specific information sections further below).

BIOS setup instructions (eventually, there will be screenshots)

1. You must set your hard drive controller to AHCI+RAID mode, else you won't be able to use your SATA devices.
  2. ...

Generic instructions (for all downloads/credits, see Tools/Utilities/kexts or other useful links & All attached files sections at the bottom of this post)

1. Get a copy of Yosemite Installer from the AppStore;
  2. Create a Yosemite boot DVD or USB (USB recommended);
    1. Partition & format the USB Flash Drive :
      1. Put your USB Flash Drive in a USB port;
      2. Open Disk Utility;
      3. Select your USB Flash Drive disk in the left pane;
      4. Click on the "Partition" tab in the right pane;
      5. Change "Partition Scheme" to 1;
      6. Click on "Options" at the bottom;
      7. Make sur you select GUID (first one) and click on OK;
      8. Give it a name, let's say Yosemite-Installer for the sake of this guide;
      9. Change "Format" to "Extended Mac OS (journaled)" (AFTER THIS STEP, YOU'LL ERASE YOUR USB Flash Drive, so make a backup first if you have important data on it!);
      10. Click on "Apply"; 
    2. Create a USB Flash Drive with Yosemite Installer on it;
      1. Open Terminal;
      2. Copy/Paste the following command (make sure to verify the path names as they might differ slightly on your setup) - it will ask for your user password to elevate the command at root permission level :
        sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/YosemiteInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

3. Wait until it's completed (takes about 20 minutes, depending on your setup and USB speed);
  3. Into your volume's /System/Library/Extensions folder, copy the following kernel extensions (kext) :
    1. AHCIPortInjector_v1.0.0_Micky1979.kext.zip & IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector_v1.0.0_Micky1979.kext.zip - Those extensions make OS X detect your SATA controller. You'll get the "Waiting for root device..." message if you don't install those. (Couldn't yet find official page nor original thread for those, please let me know if you found it - credits seem to go to Micky1979);
    2. FakeSMC_v6.16.1372_netkas.kext.zip - emulates Apple's SMC chip found on Apple motherboards;
    3. NullCPUPowerManagement_v1.0.0d2_tgwbd.kext.zip - prevents kernel panic of genuine Apple Power Management;
    4. (optional for the install disk, this is to get sound working) VoodooHDA_v2.87.kext.zip (autumnrain, slice2009) - The file attached here is version 2.87 with a tweaked Info.plist to fix noise & volume issues for our workstations. According to my tests, HDADisabler kext is not needed (probably because original unpatched AppleHDA won't detect our Realtek ALC262 chipset).
  4. Now, let's rebuild that target volume's kernel cache with the following command :
    1. kextcache -f -update-volume /Volumes/YosemiteInstall

5. Create the Extra folder on your Yosemite's install disk :
    1. mkdir -p /Volumes/YosemiteInstaller/Extra
  6. Install a bootloader
    1. Chameleon
      1. ...
    2. Clover
      1. ...
  7. ...

Z400 specific information

Instructions

Files

Known problems

• Unable to find a working AppleHDA patch for Realtek ALC262 (sound is working using VoodooHDA with tweaked Info.plist, see Generic instructions section above);
  • USB Mass Storage devices are ejected upon wake (PLEASE let us know if you know who to fix this!);
  • Impossible to boot without -f flag in Chameleon, unless ALL kexts are in /System/Library/Extensions (which is not really a problem);

Links

Z600 specific information

Instructions

Files

Known problems

Links

Z800 specific information

Instructions

Files

Known problems

Links

Processor specific information

Files

Links

Tools/Utilities/kexts or other useful links (not always OSx86 specific)

• Kernel Extensions (kexts) :
    • AppleUSBXHCI.kext [patched] - "This is used for none-Intel chipset USB3.0 controllers. The AppleUSBXHCI.kext is based on Zenith432's patch.";
    • GenericUSBXHCI (Zenith432) - "Open Source USB 3.0 xHC driver for OS X 10.7.5 - 10.10";
    • HWSensors [includes FakeSMC.kext] (blusseau, kozlek, slice2009) - "HWSensors is a software bundle that includes drivers and applications that allow you to access information from hardware sensors available on your Mac.";
    • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (tgwbd) - "[Plays] a couple of tricks with the IOKit service registration process to ensure it takes over the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement match category on its IOResources provider nub";
    • VoodooHDA (autumnrain, slice2009) - "VoodooHDA is an open source audio driver for devices compliant with the Intel High Definition Audio specification. It is intended as a replacement for AppleHDA on Mac OS X with support for a wide range of audio controllers and codecs.";
  • Kext tools :
  • Bootloaders :
  • Audio / HDA :
    • Apple Hardware Dumps (tea blog) - Dumps of system information from original Apple computers (ioreg, acpi, lspci, audio codec dump, etc.);
    • HDA Wizard for Mountain Lion (janek202) - Tool that helps you patch AppleHDA (apparently works with Yosemite); it was not yet possible to use this to successfully patch AppleHDA for Z400/Z600/Z800 Realtek ALC262 chipset (using VoodooHDA for now, see attachments in the Generic instructions section).
  • Power Management :
    • Intel Power Gadget (Jun De Vega @ Intel) - "Intel® Power Gadget is a software-based power usage monitoring tool enabled for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors or later.". [Note : This won't work with Nehalem processors. I use (and prefer) HWSensors' HWMonitor].
  • DSDT / SSDT / binary patching :
    • Apple Hardware Dumps (tea blog) - Dumps of system information from original Apple computers (ioreg, acpi, lspci, audio codec dump, etc.);
    • ACPICA iASL & Intel ACPI Tools 20150619 / github repository (ACPICA) - "The ACPI Component Architecture (ACPICA) project provides an operating system (OS)-independent reference implementation of the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification (ACPI).";
    • HexPatcher (EvOSX86) - Universal / generic hex patcher for any kind of Mac OS X binary;
    • MaciASL (phpdev32) - "A native AML compiler and IDE for OS X, with syntax coloring, tree navigation, automated patching, online patch file repositories, and iASL binary updates.";
    • ssdtPRGen.sh Beta (Piker-Alpha) - "Script to generate a SSDT for Power Management".
  • Hardware / system information :
    • DPCIManager (phpdev32) - "DPCIManager lists all of the PCI devices attached to your machine, along with their PCI IDs, vendor name, and device name. It will also retrieve the kext loaded for that device, important when troubleshooting.";
    • lspci v1.1 (EvOSX86) - "lspci is a command on Unix-like operating systems that prints ("lists") detailed information about all PCI buses and devices in the system. It is based on a common portable library libpci which offers access to the PCI configuration space on a variety of operating systems".
  • Misc :

All attached files (oldest is first, newest is last)

... more to come!

- chatdeau

• Like 7

Hi chateau,

This topic is great!  Thank you for your contribution.

Edit: Tried reinstalling Yosemite now working 100% with Nvidia Quadro 2000 and GraphicsEnabler. I'm not sure what the issue was.

Unfortunately I am not able to get my Quadro 2000 video card working correctly is Yosemite and I had to revert back to Mavericks which is working 100%. Is see

you have a GTX Quadro 580.  Is anyone running a Quadro 2000 in Yosemite?  I tried multiple suggestions including CUDA drivers, Nvidia Web drivers, and 

PCIRootUID=0 without success.  I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I will have to stay on Mavericks.

-

I'm Curious as to what others Geekbench scores are as well.  I was a little dissapointed - 4 cores @ 2.66MHZ = 7300 in 32 bit mode.

Chateau, I do not have permission to download your attached files at the bottom of your post.

Thanks again

apav

Hi chateau,

This topic is great!  Thank you for your contribution.

Unfortunately I am not able to get my Quadro 2000 video card working correctly is Yosemite and I had to revert back to Mavericks which is working 100%. Is see

you have a GTX Quadro 580.  Is anyone running a Quadro 2000 in Yosemite?  I tried multiple suggestions including CUDA drivers, Nvidia Web drivers, and 

PCIRootUID=0 without success.  I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I will have to stay on Mavericks.

-

I'm Curious as to what others Geekbench scores are as well.  I was a little dissapointed - 4 cores @ 2.66MHZ = 7300 in 32 bit mode.

Chateau, I do not have permission to download your attached files at the bottom of your post.

Thanks again

apav

Seems reasonable on the Geekbench I get a rock solid 16500 anytime I run it with 8x2.66 64bit which is always that few extra percent higher than 32. For the Quadro had a 1700 in mine for few days all that was needed was GraphicsEnabler=yes but that is Mavericks no clue on Yosemite I will never be using anything newer can't stand the look, tried for few days just cannot build a bridge and get over it.

Hi

I have an Z400 6 ram slot one

From factory, it come with W3565, but I'm change it for an X5679

Put it  24gb Ram 1333 and a Radeon HD6870

I use this equipment for live video produccion

At first, I did install 10.8.5, with a couple of kexts, it works solid as a rock, Radeon HD6870 4 screens, wifi with an Dlink DWA 110 (Ralink RT73 driver) , Bluetooth with a Dlink DBT 122 (OOB)

Audio ALC262 with VoodooHDA.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext and VoodooHDA 2.8.5

Here my extra for 10.8.5

Extra.zip

Now, I'm on 10.10.4, with an insanely not supported tool (the LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext is very import, put it on inside of the installer and the Yosemite)

No DSDT

All is working fine, HD6870 is showing as HD68xx, but still having 4 outputs OOB

Wifi, with the same 10.8.5 driver

BT OOB

Audio with the same 10.8.5 drivers and VoodooHDA 2.8.7

Extra 10.10.4.zipZ400 ussefull files.zip

• Like 1

hi apav the  Wifi Card is Dualband-PCI-Express-WLAN-Adapter  TL-WDN4800 OOB

BLUETOOTH Mini Bluetooth® V4.0 USB Adapter OOB

Do you need to unplug and replug the bluetooth adapter in when waking from sleep?

hi guys i want to ask all of u how is ur graphics performance  i have really bad 

I'm not sure what you mean

I have a Radeon HD6870 (same as you, I guess) and I'm able to run 4 full HD professional cameras with a Blackmagic PCI capture cards, without issues at all.

At same time, I'm able to run 4 HD monitors.

Great value for money-card

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Please, take a look at the actual state of my guide (don't forget to Follow this thread!). If you can provide some help (I'm quite specific already at the beginning of the guide, written in red), it would help me a lot. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions, as it helps me to make it well structured.

As mentionned in that red section of my guide, I'm having issues migrating from Chameleon to Clover (I've created a duplicate installation so that I can provide Clover instructions as well as Chameleon one).

For now, here's my config.plist.zip (be aware that I've set it up for a W3690 CPU, so before using it yourself, please change CPU values to yours), but I'm getting a kernel panic with this message :

"Unable to find driver for this platform"

See this picture (sorry, cell camera sucks) : post-249762-0-98693400-1436814610_thumb.jpg

If you have any clues or advices as to how to avoid that KP, please let me/us know.

Thanks,

- chatdeau

hi chatdeau

did u try the kernel patch option in clover and put orignal AppleACPIPlatform.kext and try to boot

I never had to use a patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext as I've always installed OS X the vanilla way (never wanted to use "magical" installers), so it's already the original.

Normally, I shouldn't have to use a patched kernel neither, as I didn't have to patch it when using Chameleon.

I've just received some advices. Will try those and report if there's anything successful.

- chatdeau

I have a old 2006 core 2 duo imac, with snow leopard..

A few months ago, I was doing some maintenance inside it, and I was curious and put the imac hard drive inside of the Z400, and believe it or not, boot fine!

The z400 main harddrive has chameleon

• Like 1

so ok if the first method not work u can use these two kext in clover folder i have also attached my config.plist if it can help

and best of luck

Thanks for that, I'll give this a try (of course, adapting it to my setup). Will report really soon.

- chatdeau

hi chateau can u tell us ar u trying to install El capitan or yosemite

According to the title of this thread, it's Yosemite ;-)

I'll first complete this guide for Yosemite. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll probably try pretty much the same with El Captain (and most probably create another guide).

- chatdeau

Good news guys,

I finally managed to boot Yosemite using Clover. It's really faster than with Chameleon. Thanks to Rockey12, I've got some inspiration for my new config.plist :)

But hold on, because I pretty much have to redo all relevant DSDT patches manually, as my former dsdt.aml won't work with Clover.

-chatdeau

EDIT : @Rockey12 - Note that I did not use any of your modified kext, so you should be able to boot as well with original ones.

What are the advantages to using clover in the HP z400 / 600 / 800 vs chameleon?

-apav

It's a bit early to mention all the benefits in the specific case of Z400, but for now I can say the boot time is reduced quite a lot.

I've just tried a DSDT file I just patched tho, but I get a black screen. I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with my patches or if it has something to do with my version of iasl to recompile it.

Investigating ...

- chatdeau

Try to add ur Device ID in to

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

in clover config.plist inject ur graphics card

I might try that eventually, but as clover works fine without my former dsdt.aml with no issue graphics, I don't think it's pertinent to do so now.

Could you tell me what version of clover you are using please? the version I have boots fine, but won't have USB working at all, whatever settings I use (with/without patches/injection/custom dsdt.aml).

Thanks,

- chatdeau

yes it is as 68xx but u can patch ur AMD6000Controller.kext  

I have a weird problem

All works fine form me, I use 4 monitors outputs:

1 dp (active adaptor to DVI)

1 dp (active adaptor to DVI)

1 HDMI

1 DVI (pasive adaptor do HDMI)

With the HDMI and DVI (pasive adaptor do HDMI), the monitors randomly gets darker..

I mean, no black at all, but get about 30% of brightness

If I turn the GraphicsEnabler=yes, I lost monitor outputs..

(EDIT: turned GraphicsEnabler=yes, it is recognized as HD6870, no monitor outputs lost, but same issue)

Any clue?

Hi guys,

Just a quick message to let you know that I have many personnal stuff to workaround at the moment and I should be able to come back to help you and add more info to this guide within about a week or so. I also plan to make at least 2 other guides for 2 additionnal hackintosh setups.

For those trying to install Yosemite with Clover, I'd try the same version that Rockey12 said is using (2 replies before this one), as the recent versions seem to be somehow problematic with our Workstations (at least with my Z400).

See you soon.

- chatdeau

Hi!

Anybody have dsdt.yml for HP Z800?

Here is the one I am using the naming reflects all the changes made, I have version 3.57 of the BIOS installed on a generation three board you would want similar to use this file.

DSDT-lpc-esb2_sata_audio_layout_id1_sbusMP5,1_serialized_usb-wak_no-fdc-com-lpt-ecp-kbd-ps2m_timr_dmac_pwrb-cid.aml.zip

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i was in the process of installing Yosemite in a Z600, i had an usb installer made it with #####, i had to put LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext in the usb to see the drives.

I ended the installation with Chameleon wizard to install Chamaleon and edit extra files and KextWizard to install five kext mentioned in the first post of Chatdeau. 

I had problems with USBs (do not work at all and solved deleting AppleHPET.kext from extension folder.

Chatdeau i have lspci-nnvv_output and dsdt extracted with Chameleon wizard but i don´t knot how to upload from here, How can i send them to you?

In days i will be doing the same with a Z400, do you need something from it?

Edit to attach files (i was using reduced editor  :( )

REMARK This dsdt is direct from ChameleonWizard not touched

Z600 lspci.zip

Ok Rockey12, i edited my post to attach files, i was using the reduced editor not full one.

I don´t want help right now, my system is ready, only i mention Tonymac because i was in middle of the process and the usb installer was running perfect so i did not redo it. I think TonyMac installer do not put anything on the drive until you modified with the magical tool, or  am i wrong??

Ok Rockey12, i edited my post to attach files, i was using the reduced editor not full one.

I don´t want help right now, my system is ready, only i mention Tonymac because i was in middle of the process and the usb installer was running perfect so i did not redo it. I think TonyMac installer do not put anything on the drive until you modified with the magical tool, or  am i wrong??

You are correct the installer is nothing but that an installer which in the long run is all that matters something to get the files needed onto the box, if you do not use any others tools from there you have done the same as if you did an installer method from here.

• Like 2