[GUIDE] USB Fix El Capitan 10.11

830 posts in this topic

Hi,

i cant get usb 2.0 to work after el capitan upgrade. I dont need usb 3.0 to work, just usb 2.  I can't make any sense of this guide. I tried to understand it the best i could but its too advanced for me.

I can't get into the os x installation obviously because USB doesnt work so no mouse or kb.

I can edit files and the config playlist in the efi partition from my windows 10 installation using wordpad.  

Anything i can try with wordpad? 

@angeluszero - you may want to provide more details on your platform, motherboard etc, chipset....

presuming your USB is intel etc.  a quick fix may be to use RehabMan's OS-X-USB-Inject-All with some minor dsdt edits. 

I made a post here. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309918-usb-and-video-after-el-capitan-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=2198239

Here's my HW

HP Z420 desktop

CPU: xeon e5-1620 v2

RAM: 16 GB 1600 mhz

Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD

VIdeo: Nvidia Quadro K4200 HP version (works fine with Nvidia web drivers)

Clover boot flags needed. npci=0x3000, nvda_drv=1 and kext-dev-mode=1  are the only ones i need to boot.

From what i understand i have an intel c600 chipset for usb

I also just tried this guide without success....

That said, try this (for any 7/8/9-series boards -- not 5x or 6x or Skylake):

1. Remove any USB fixes you've already tried
  2. Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext from the latest distribution here. Put them in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/... on your USB or system boot drive. If you're using the numbered directories (as [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] does), make sure to put them in both 10.10/ and 10.11/ ! (Or if you've previously removed numbered directories, put them in Other/ with any other kexts.) Reboot and...
  3. Profit!
  4. Oh, um, if that doesn't work, please report back. Our expectation is that you should only need additional fixes if using one of these SMBIOS system definitions: MacBookPro8,1 MacBookPro9,1 iMac13,1 iMac13,2 iMac13,3 MacPro6,1
  5. If it doesn't work the next step is (with those kexts in place) to add these two patches to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist on the same boot drive in ACPI/DSDT/Patches:
    Code:
        <key>ACPI</key>

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<dict>

<key>Patches</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>RUhDMQ==</data>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>RUgwMQ==</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>RUhDMg==</data>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>RUgwMg==</data>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

6. Then reboot and try again.

the DSDT patch edits are on the right track. the kexts you just tried are more about USB3... XHCI devices. so i would focus on getting your usb2 ports working. can you disable usb3 in bios?  if so then use those DSDT patches plus USB_ Inject all kext - might be enough.

so i am guessing the C600 chipset means a series 7 or series 8 intel USB? which means you have a good chance on getting it work - with the right patches etc.

running a command like dspci (or DPCIManager.app)  (presuming you have say a working Yosemite) to list out the PCI specifics details might be worth doing.

the DSDT patch edits are on the right track. the kexts you just tried are more about USB3... XHCI devices. so i would focus on getting your usb2 ports working. can you disable usb3 in bios?  if so then use those DSDT patches plus USB_ Inject all kext - might be enough.

so i am guessing the C600 chipset means a series 7 or series 8 intel USB? which means you have a good chance on getting it work - with the right patches etc.

running a command like dspci (or DPCIManager.app)  (presuming you have say a working Yosemite) to list out the PCI specifics details might be worth doing.

i copied the kext file to the efi clover partition under kext 10.11 and left the edit to my config.plist file but still no usb 2.0. i guess usb isnt compatible with my board and 10.11 then?

here's a link to my config file for clover, maybe i edited it wrong.  https://mega.nz/#!d0UmVDJC 

After install 10.11.3 and install GenericUSBXHCI.kext all "NEC" USB 3.0 ports start working in full speed (but not showing in "About this mac")

link to kext:

https://copy.com/fhGu1ko1dgt9xw8b

Works at least from 10.11.2 onwards. Details to be found in that other thread about how to fix ASMedia USB3 (Or wait for RehabMan to reappear in this thread)

Nothing seems to work in my case. Looks like the USB controller is an Intel c600/x79 chipset. It worked just fine in Yosemite without any tweaks. I even tried the Kext in the post above and no luck.

Would it help if I was able to update to 10.11.2? Is there a way to update without entering the os?

After install 10.11.3 and install GenericUSBXHCI.kext all "NEC" USB 3.0 ports start working in full speed (but not showing in "About this mac")

link to kext:

https://copy.com/fhGu1ko1dgt9xw8b

Ok so using chrome remote desktop i was able to get into os x and update to 10.11.2. Now USB 3.0 works with GenericUSBXHCI kext but USB 2.0 still doesn't work. I can live without 2.0 i guess but would be nice to make it work. Any idea what else i can try?

Ok so using chrome remote desktop i was able to get into os x and update to 10.11.2. Now USB 3.0 works with GenericUSBXHCI kext but USB 2.0 still doesn't work. I can live without 2.0 i guess but would be nice to make it work. Any idea what else i can try?

Try this https://copy.com/3EBDo1ANpMloHdbW

It work for my x79 MSI MainBoard with MacPro 6,1 bios

With GenericUSBXHCI , it works flawless , it is not recognized at boot , but once your are in El Captain (I'm on 10.11.2) it works. It won't show up in System Info but in finder yes

It's not the same card. Inateck make a range of USB 3.0 cards and the KT4005 you got uses a NEC chipset. You're supposed to get one with a FL1100 chipset to have native support (like my KT4006).

However, GenericUSBXHCI seems to work ok in 10.11.2, although the ports (and attached devices) won't show up in System Profiler.

Currently using the KT4006 right here which is natively supported on Mac OS X. I can report I have no more issues.

UOT9X2Ml.jpg

Hi Guys, I have motherboard Z170X Gaming 7

I just re-update to El Capitan 10.11.3 Beta Build 15D9c, and i have no working Super Speed Port (SS01-SS10), but before update i just back up my "IOUSBHostFamily.kext". Then i compare both of this kext. And i found different info.plist structure of AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext. Take a look at screenshot.

I have 2 USB 3.0 Bus (Devices) with different different device id.
1. 0xa12f8086 (all USB Port 3.0)

2. 0x15b68086 (for Keyboard and mouse at upper back panel)

At El Capitan 10.11.2, 0xa12f8086 is related to Host Controller Driver "AppleUSBXHCISPT" and 0x15b68086 is related to Host Controller Driver "AppleUSBXHCIPCI" but if you update to beta 10.11.3 then both of them will be related to Host Controller Driver "AppleUSBXHCIPCI". I don't know, maybe because of this my SS01-SS10 had not work afterall. So i just need to install "IOUSBHostFamily.kext" from 10.11.2 Build 15C50 to El Capitan 15D9c and My SS01-SS10 are work again  :thumbsup_anim: .

I don't know,, why apple remove iMac17,1 Profile at "AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kexts's info.plist at 10.11.3   :surprised: 

So for SkyLake user, if you want updating to El Capitan 10.11.3 then reinstall "IOUSBHostFamily.kext" again from El Capitan 10.11.2 Build 15C50. But you still need to follow instructions of this topic to activate your XHC Ports  :yes: 

Sorry for my Bad English

post-1311960-0-14337800-1450821132_thumb.jpg

post-1311960-0-75542100-1450821161_thumb.png

post-1311960-0-55538500-1450821173_thumb.png

They forgot to leave it in it seems (17,1)

Did you try editing the AppleUSBXHCIPCI info.plist in IOKitPersonalities and adding 17,1 items?

For those who don't know: These are missing from the latest 10.11.3 beta AppleUSBXHCIPCI kext;-

AAPLJ951,1-XHCI (new mac pro 7,1?)

Piker alpha mentioned about this in the past here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/first-signs-of-new-macpro71-found-in-el-capitan/

AppleUSBXHCISPT1, AppleUSBXHCISPT2 and of course, iMac17,1-XHCI are also omitted.

I'm going to wait to see the ssdt that Piker Alpha puts up soon (see here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/my-initial-elcapitan-usb-workaround/)

having  trouble getting my usb 2.0 back .they are listed as c600/x79...while on 10.10.5  they were working all 14 ports ,the other 4 ports that are non Intel usb 3.0 are the only ones working as (usb2.0)  with  GenericUSBXHCI.kext,

in 10.11.2. no usb ports will work without this kext,infact I had to add it to flash drive installer to get it to boot 10,11.2 to do a fresh install, I can  wait for the updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext for El capitan to regain 3.0 ,but right now I'm looking to get my usb 2.0 back,when i try to edit MaciAsl in 10.11.2 created from clover i get compile error. so I made fresh  dsdt from yosemite,I was hopeful that with  DSDT edits patched clover , I can regain my  usb 2.o  I uploaded my files for help i'm using Mac mini smbios cause I use  x79pluginplatform.kext to patch  for turbo throttle i7LGA2011, without nullIntelPowerCPU.kext.my,, specs:

Intel DX79SR mainboard  x79 chipset not sure what  all usb chips are but I do know the usb 3.0 blue  are  Renseas uPD720200 & uPD720200A  

DSDT.aml.zip

Drone4zone Mac mini-10.11.2.zip

Please someone could help me, sorry my english is not so good.

Im trying install El Capitan 10.11 and my usb ports need a correct configuration, because usb install stop on missing ...transporter.

So sorry for im not could understand how to edit DSDT.

My IOregistry and DSDT in zip atachment.

Greate for help !!!

My mobo is Intel BP67BG i7 Core, LGA 1155, Sandy Brigde.

Im wait for your precious help!!

Happy New Year!!!

dsdt.aml.zip

IORegistry-Max.zip

post-411738-0-05392600-1451578334_thumb.jpg

Tks @tluck, im really need help for someone that know how to edit DSDT, because im not know how to start. Im read many tutorials [guide], im try, but i cant. Im understand but not how change or compile DSDT with base on my file. Thanks for help, this site is amazing, im love my hack, but if im not can help me, im just wait for more easy solutions, for not advanced users like me.

If someone have some files that same dsdt, please, post here. Thank you!!! :)