[GUIDE] USB Fix El Capitan 10.11

830 posts in this topic

Rehabman, I did some research, found your post about bluetooth firmware upload, and it looks like my GMYLE USB Bluetooth is by CSR not Broadcom. It seems to work ok when it's in a USB 3.0 port, just acts a little funny on USB 2.0.

I'm not familiar with that BT hardware (using Broadcom here), but not surprising given the USB drivers are all new...

Do i need to fix USB for 1st gen Motherboard??

my spec are in my Signature

getting this in console

11/4/15 5:36:09.000 AM kernel[0]: 000001.032817 AppleUSBLegacyRoot@: AppleUSBLegacyRoot::init: enabling legacy matching
11/4/15 5:38:54.000 AM kernel[0]: 000017.532545 PC Camera@1d120000: AppleUSBDevice::waitForInterfacesGated: timeout waiting for _interfacesMatched

Does anyone using a FL1100 card have the speed and current information visible in System Profiler? I've been working a little on my card, trying to get rid of some console errors.[/quote

Hello Riley. Were you able to view the speed for your card? I just installed a FL1100 card and I have the same situation. I know that there have been a lot of issues related to the new USB kexts in 10.11, but I was hoping to get normal after installing this card.

Hello Riley. Were you able to view the speed for your card? I just installed a FL1100 card and I have the same situation. I know that there have been a lot of issues related to the new USB kexts in 10.11, but I was hoping to get normal after installing this card.

Nothing new to report on this yet. If someone could run DarwinDumper on a nMP running 10.11 that might provide some clues.

@Riley - strange. i have a FL1100 PCIexpress card in my laptop. i am not seeing anything weird in the logs. it is using the stock/unmoddified USB kexts. i am traveling the next fews days without the card tho. so i cant provide any more info until friday. but it just shows up as USB 3  in system info ...  but here isn't any speed or current info list (as compared to the built-in USB2 ports.)

Nothing new to report on this yet. If someone could run DarwinDumper on a nMP running 10.11 that might provide some clues.

The USB 3 devices connected to the Inateck FL1100 card are recognized and work well, and when connected prior to booting don't generate KPs. The only strange thing is the missing speed information. I tried testing speed using Black Magic and AJA system test tools under both Yosemite and Capitan noting no difference under both OS versions in the results for both ext HDDs connected to the card. What would be an acceptance test result in terms of speed? Is there a better tool that can be used to test speed in these ports?

I haven't had any KPs with devices on the FL1100 card. The issues I'm having in 10.11 are purely cosmetic. I'd like to see how devices plugged into a 10.11 nMP show up in System Profiler just to see if they display the speed and current information. The lack of that info here might be a bug with the new USB stack or it may be due to the ports being on a PCIe card.

As for speed testing, those two programs you used are the most common so I'd trust what they say.

Hey everyone, got my USB3 working very well in my Hackintosh....

But..........

Does anybody has an idea how to get my NEC USB3 PCIe card working on my MacPro3,1?

I tried some stuff and got it working with a dummy kext, only problem... works on USB1 speed.... How to get it work on USB3 speed

I was looking around the iMac 17,1 firmware update that came with the last 10.11.2 beta and extracted the DSDT and XHCI tables. Just posting them here in case they might be of any help.

@schot: I don't think there's a way to get third-party USB3 chipsets working in El Capitan yet. Maybe as the drivers mature or the source code is released for the new USB stack.

171.zip

Why exactly shouldn't I just use the USBInjectAll kext?

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all/downloads

I read it enables all ports and then you are supposed to use it to know what ports your system has, but I installed the kext and all ports just work, so why even bother with the second part?

Why exactly shouldn't I just use the USBInjectAll kext?

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all/downloads

I read it enables all ports and then you are supposed to use it to know what ports your system has, but I installed the kext and all ports just work, so why even bother with the second part?

It really depends a lot on the specific hardware you have. Using the port limit patch is probably not a good idea, except for short-term use.

Not sure what you mean by "the second part".

It really depends a lot on the specific hardware you have. Using the port limit patch is probably not a good idea, except for short-term use.

Not sure what you mean by "the second part".

Why isn't it a good idea? Will it break with future updates?

The second part = configuring and using the injectors.

Why isn't it a good idea? Will it break with future updates?

The posts following the related link provided in the USBInjectAll README explain.

The second part = configuring and using the injectors.

Advantages:

- eliminate ports not used

- avoid port limit patch

- power savings due to unused ports being shutdown (mostly a laptop concern)

- customizing UsbConnector value to match the hardware

The posts following the related link provided in the USBInjectAll README explain.

Advantages:

- eliminate ports not used

- avoid port limit patch

- power savings due to unused ports being shutdown (mostly a laptop concern)

- customizing UsbConnector value to match the hardware

I don't understand the "port limits". My computer has only six physical ports and all of them work with that patch. I also don't have any USB 3.0 devices so I don't care if my USB 3.0 ports are throttled somehow. It's a desktop so I don't care about energy (not being able to sleep because I use an ATI is worse, to be honest). So I guess I can disregard this...

I don't understand the "port limits". My computer has only six physical ports and all of them work with that patch. I also don't have any USB 3.0 devices so I don't care if my USB 3.0 ports are throttled somehow. It's a desktop so I don't care about energy (not being able to sleep because I use an ATI is worse, to be honest). So I guess I can disregard this...

According to your profile, you have 9-series. USBInjectAll will inject 20 ports. Your 6 USB3 ports are actually 12 (USB2 pins + USB3 pins in each USB3 port).

With only 12 ports, you can certainly create an injector that includes only the 12 necessary.

You can do what you want... it is your computer, your risk.

I'm using the limit remove patch for few weeks now and it works flawlessly. Don't see why I should go for injector/acpi solution.

There were unproved assumptions by Rehabman and others (which I respect) regarding problems that may rise due to internal tables limit. There is no evidence that there is a basis for this "fear".

I'm using the limit remove patch for few weeks now and it works flawlessly. Don't see why I should go for injector/acpi solution.

There were unproved assumptions by Rehabman and others (which I respect) regarding problems that may rise due to internal tables limit. There is no evidence that there is a basis for this "fear".

Hello WinstonAce

Where can I find the limit remove patch?

Problem is: pretty much impossible to prove the patch is safe without source code. Since patch is not necessary at all, best practice is to avoid.

I was looking around the iMac 17,1 firmware update that came with the last 10.11.2 beta and extracted the DSDT and XHCI tables. Just posting them here in case they might be of any help.

@schot: I don't think there's a way to get third-party USB3 chipsets working in El Capitan yet. Maybe as the drivers mature or the source code is released for the new USB stack.

I believe developers are waiting for the source code to see if there's a way to enable 3rd party chipsets. Currently Apple has not released this information yet. Eventually Apple will but not sure when.

The port needs to be marked as correct type... Clearly one is marked as an external port the other internal (UsbConnector=255 is internal).

sorry i didn't explain it very well.  i have a usb key 16gb ... connected in one hub  in disk utility is internal usb ( Wrong ) an in the other hub is external usb drive ( right )

and the most annoying is the reset of all usb after wake up ..  all usb storage will unmounted .... :angry:

sorry i didn't explain it very well.  i have a usb key 16gb ... connected in one hub  in disk utility is internal usb ( Wrong ) an in the other hub is external usb drive ( right )

A hub is not a "drive".  Not sure what you're asking.  A hub is a hub.  A USB stick is a storage device... they are different things, and have different drivers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one hub in disk utility". Disk Utility does not list USB hubs.

and the most annoying is the reset of all usb after wake up ..  all usb storage will unmounted .... :angry:

It is a very common hack problem. There are some scripts around that will unmount/re-mount across sleep (using SleepWatcher).

A hub is not a "drive".  Not sure what you're asking.  A hub is a hub.  A USB stick is a storage device... they are different things, and have different drivers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one hub in disk utility". Disk Utility does not list USB hubs.

It is a very common hack problem. There are some scripts around that will unmount/re-mount across sleep (using SleepWatcher).

sorry I'm italian .... anyway  

i have 6 usb port  if i connect a usb 16gb key in the first 4 usb port the key will be showed in disk utility like and internal drive  if i connect it in the 5 or 6 usb port will show up like an external drive like it must be.

a.pngb.pngd.pngc.png

sorry I'm italian .... anyway  

i have 6 usb port  if i connect a usb 16gb key in the first 4 usb port the key will be showed in disk utility like and internal drive  if i connect it in the 5 or 6 usb port will show up like an external drive like it must be.

a.pngb.pngd.pngc.png

You need to look at ioreg to see what port it is connected to. It sounds like you have the first 4 ports you mention marked as internal (255), and the 5/6 ports marked as normal USB ports (likely either 0 or 3).

If your ports are defined incorrectly, you can correct them in the port injector.