Released final version OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

75 posts in this topic

As you can imagine I am very wary now and really must do some work before, that restoration took over two hours alone. Maybe I only use the delta next time, right

So someone else can play the guinea pig for now ... if it was only the issue Joe mentioned it would be not as bad as I thought at least.

Almost looks like with 6,1 SMBIOS - and I have that - OS X 10.10.3 is now expecting two GPUs, and gets confused when not - so I have hope that also the stock driver continue to work then.

Again, a clover patch would be greatly appreciated, so it works directly after updating.

Does the recovery update work OK for you, esp for those who have dual boot partition setups? As I have a rather complex partition layout, I am a bit wary of that update.

I applied the recovery update and found my recovery partition updated with:

com.apple.recovery.boot

com.apple.boot.P

System

Booting into it lead me to my standards installation, but not the recovery.

I then removed System and com.apple.boot.P, left only com.apple.recovery.boot

It then started as it should, re-created System but seems to work fine without com.apple.boot.P.

I haven't tried to copy it back yet, though.

However, I found another entry in the clover now, besides the "correct" recovery symbol, also a "usual" boot option which seems to just do the same.

I wonder how I could hide this unwanted additional one? (Anyone who can help?)

Beside this, update to 10.10.3 worked fine just using the update option form app store.

Killed my trim, but could just be re-activated by trim-enabler app.

Patched sound survived the update, too.

• Like 1

sailor, thanks for the Headup!

Apart from the issue you detected, did you notice any changes in your partition layout?

As for the Clover entry, you might try to hide the unwanted entry in your config.plist. Also not sure if the additional entry is due to changes in the partition layout, so if anybody notices a change it would be really helpful to know about!

• Like 1

Apart from the issue you detected, did you notice any changes in your partition layout?

Not any which would have had any effect on my dual boot setup.

I'm using a fusion drive setup (disk0 and disk2 => disk3) plus 2 additional drives for time machine backup (disk1) and for windows (disk4).

The EFI partitions other than on disk0 are all empty.

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         127.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Backup                  999.9 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         999.3 GB   disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.1 MB   disk2s3
/dev/disk3
   0:                  Apple_HFS OS X                   *1.1 TB     disk3
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk2s2
                                 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                 Unencrypted Fusion Drive
/dev/disk4
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk4
   1:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk4s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 500.0 GB   disk4s2

Ah since you have your OSes on separate drives you are much more one the safer side. In contrast I have all partitions on one drive and my system(s) drive looks like this:

/dev/disk1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X                    699.3 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             1.2 GB     disk1s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk1s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 298.8 GB   disk1s5
   6: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC               367.0 MB   disk1s6

So you can imagine a broken layout with this would not be very funny.

Since the recovery HD has the correct params I actually do not expect the update to mess with partitions, but hey with Apple you never know ....

Maybe - if nobody has done it meanwhile - I might mess with a Clover plist patch later on, but with the recovery HD update I will wait for more guinea pigs I guess ;) too risky for me right now.

Btw: anyone knows if (and how) it is possible to backup (and restore) a complete drive, including partition layout and all partitions? That would be really helpful before trying it.

• Like 1

X79-UD5, GTX 670, SMBIOS MacPro 6.1 and a black screen too. Each attempt with the combo update.

I've tried uninstalling the nvidia driver prior to the update but had the same results.

Maybe we should move this to another thread?

By the way, if you're stuck with the nvda_drv=1 entry it's coming from your nvram file, nvram.plist, which is hidden in the root of your system drive. Try deleting it, but as I stated, I got the black screen without the nvidia driver entirely.

Frankiee, I was getting similar screen corruption with the nvidia driver just when the system reached the desktop, but it always went away. In 10.10.2 I seemed to get better results with the native driver.

yeah I am still struggling with that clover patch, before that does not work I will not try and go all through this mess again.

My current efforts are described here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2126638

The worst thing is that for me the only way to get to desktop was to set "nv_disable" in NVRAM (while being booted from another drive, gladly I have "native" NVRAM). Setting it from the clover prompt as an boot arg had no effect. Also still waiting for a confirmation that this patch will actually solve this problem.

I used SuperDuper  first and I'm doing this "experiment" on a clone drive. Using screen sharing I can access the machine, the video card is recognized, but no picture. With screen sharing I can see that the computer does not recognize any of the three displays I have plugged in and working under 10.10.2.

I'll keep plugging away at this, but I may just go back to Mavericks again. The graphics drivers under Yosemite have been an abomination. (Strangely though my audio still works after the update, that's unusual.)

From what I've read at RampageDev's site is that patch is to get 4K resolutions working, beyond that I don't know what it does. I've had no problems till now without it.

EDIT: frankiee, try the patch you referred to again and make sure you've reset your boot arguments. I just tried it and I'm back up and running again on 10.10.3

For 10.10.3 (14D131) in Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual with both Intel HD 4600 and Nvidia GTX 980 need the following steps to update:

1. After updated from Apple Store the first boot need -x

2. After complete installation need patching IO80211Family.kext & IOBluetoothFamily.kext to activate WiFi & BT 4.0

3. Need rollback AppleHDA.kext, otherwise it will interfere Intel HD4600 display function

4. Need new Nvidia Web Driver to activate GTX 980

These methods also work for 10.10.3 in Asus Z97 Deluxe with both Intel HD 4600 and AMD Radeon 7950.

Edited by jsl
  • Like 1

Hi,

update to 10.10.3 went fine, just needed to update Nvidia Driver after update and it booted like a charm. BUUUT ... I realized several random freezes in 10.10.3. So I went back to 10.10.2 where I never hat freezes. Don´t know why, anyone suffering same thing?

Well this update is driving me mad. OK I tried everything again, but now with applying the patch Joe75 mentioned.

But still, exact the same symptoms like before, and despite the latest NVIDIA web drivers, I again stare at a black screen ....

What now? Growing desparate, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: Finally, I was able to get to desktop with GPU drivers. Seems like I also had to "sudo touch Extension" to the updated Boot drive from my alternate Boot drive. Of course I was aware of that, but instead tried to boot from clover without caches, but for some reason that did not work? Also seems like I cannot boot into safe mode anymore.

I also can confirm that the stock GPU drivers still work with the GK110 based Titan, so I can avoid that dreaded 19RPM fan bug. (But I am 99% sure this is only a cosmetic issue, just verfied with Unigine Heaven, temps and fan behavior is as expected even with the NVIDIA driver, ie fans definetly spinning like they should)

What is strange though, that I now have _two_ loading bars when booting OS X. One like expected, but then also a second one in the lower left corner of my screen (and Apple Logo vanished). Whats up with that?

Well quite an unpleasant experience overall, and I absolutely do not trust this stinking update. Let's see how stable it actually is.

Also if someone has made the Recovery Update with Win 8 dual boot (on the same drive!) please let me know if that worked.

Ah and another thing I saw with the stock driver:

NVIDIA Chip Model 128 MB

hmmm?

With NVIDIA drivers it reads:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6143 MB

Any ideas?

btw Shazeal, uptime of one day is actually nothing ;) With 10.9.5 I got uptimes of up to three weeks, before needing to boot due to a software update.

Also if someone has made the Recovery Update with Win 8 dual boot (on the same drive!) please let me know if that worked.

No problems with 10.10.3 or recovery update here. 

Yosemite 10.10.3, Windows 10 TP and Mint 17.1 all on disk1...

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            119.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk1s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 815.4 GB   disk1s5
   6: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4               21.5 GB    disk1s6
   7: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4               38.7 GB    disk1s7
   8:                 Linux Swap                         4.3 GB     disk1s8
  • Like 1

HWMonitor no longer on top bar but if I click on an area where I know it is, it opens.   Both of my Laptops G750JX with Nvidia GTX 770M and G51JX with Nvidia GTX 360M.  Have not updated any Desktops yet.

Two issues in App Store.  I was able to do the 10.10.3 update but unable to download the full version after on my Asus G750JX with iMac14,2 as system definition.  Xcode will not update either, I just see the spinning cog.  I was able to download the full version of 10.10.3 on another laptop with System Definition iMac12,2 if System Definition has anything at all to do with this issue?

Anyone else having some issues similar to this?

Edited:

Forget about Xcode I had to open the Xcode that was already installed and install tools.  It now shows as updated in App Store but I was still not able to download the full version of OS X on my iMac14,2 system.

Edited:

Solved two posts below.

you have to delete the old installer and remove it from trash to download it again

Thanks I had a OS X installer 10.10.2 as on one of the my drives partition.  Nothing in Trash or in Applications though.  Anyhow I removed it and was able to download the full version.