Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

So the problem is that OS X can't understand how to connect to your LVDS

Thanks and yes I guess you are correct. It does connect and we have display with 0mb or 7mb of vram but it see the display as external 30inch display and not builtin LVDS. Any idea how to start fixing this?

Thanks and yes I guess you are correct. It does connect and we have display with 0mb or 7mb of vram but it see the display as external 30inch display and not builtin LVDS. Any idea how to start fixing this?

uncheck inject nVidia con config.plist

sometime need inject _DSM nvidia into DSDT.

I screwed up. I changed a setting in the BIOS to the graphics card and now there is nothing on the screen.

Oh I'm truely sorry for that. I would advice you to post the problem into the BIOS mod thread (where you downloaded the modded BIOS) and hopefully they would help you.

I removed the CMOS battery but has NOT rebooted BIOS. It has a jumper or something?

I have no idea .. I hope someone can give you a hint. I still recommend taht you post the problem on the BIOS mod thread as the feedback will be greater there. You are welcome to post anywhere you like though so don't get me wrong.

Hello!

You can try to reset the bios to default settings by flying blind with the help of other users, which tell you the keys you have to press in the row for this. I have done this on an Edge 330, which had no screen output because of a by Lenovo misprogramed Bios. Hope this helps.

Have fun.

I removed the CMOS battery but has NOT rebooted BIOS. It has a jumper or something?

Try the blind method: blindly go into the bios, reset the bios to default using hotkey ( should be F10 or something like that ), save and reboot. I modded the Dell Vostro 5560A's bios and also in the same situation, the blind method works fine

@Ahmed_ais is the sleep preoblem is fixed for USB cause its sometime annoying to Reboot when it is not able to wakeup after rebooting

Can you describe that problem more? I don't recall having problems with sleep/USB.

Edit:

I just plugged in my USB mouse and Xbox 360 Controller (with the driver installed on OS X so it is active) and put the system to sleep. When I woke it up it was OK and everything in order.

I screwed up. I changed a setting in the BIOS to the graphics card and now there is nothing on the screen.

There is something called "Secondary BIOS". You can definitely use it to flash a new BIOS. I don't remember how to boot into that. But you have to make a new flashable BIOS usb stick first. Steps to boot into Secondary BIOS are given in the BIOS mod thread. Go to the BIOS mod thread and search for it (afair it's in the last 10 pages). 

EDIT: Just saw that you already made it to the BIOS mod thread. Ask "Lizzo" how he recovered. AFAIK he's the only one who recovered from this.

Just a late announcement for those who don't know yet. EMlyDinEsH (OSXLatitude Forum) has updated his Keyboard and Touchpad kext (SmartTouchPad) a few days ago and this is the release change log:

Version v4.4.5 : Released

• Improved support for Synaptics touchpads (Clickpad working fine now)
  • Updated support for new ELAN touchpads
  • Improved edge swipes
  • Fixed a bug with Karabiner app to allow mapping
  • Several bug fixes and optimizations

I have been a beta-tester for this version for a while and was the only one with Synaptics Clickpad. Therefor, I can confidently say this version is amazing for Y510p with Synaptics as it was for those with Elan. I recommend every one with Synaptics to give it a try then use either this or VoodooPS2Controller (which is very good BTW but limited in features.

Notes: to have brightness keys work while using SmartTouchPad:

1. Rehabman's OS-X-ACPI-Keyboard kext should be installed (link in downloads section). This kext was not needed with VoodooPS2Controller because the required functionality from it was already built in VoodooPS2Controller.kext.
  2. A different DSDT patch is needed. For now, we can use intruder16 Auto-Patcher and select ELAN for touchpad when prompted even though we have Synaptics so the proper DSDT patch is applied.

@intruder16, kindly update your Auto-Patcher to support SmartTouchPad for Synaptics users when you have time.-

... and also if brightness fix for ELAN works for both ELAN and Synaptics in new driver.

While using SmartTouchPad, the brightness fix (patch) is the same for both assuming OS-X-ACPI-Keyboard is installed. I don't have ELAN to test but the ELAN patch in your repo (which is proved working for ELAN) works fine for Synaptics on my machine.

Both patches are here. Tell me which one to edit ...

None of them to edit. Actually, it's the main script that should be edited to support the new kext for Synaptics. For example, you could make the choices depend on the touchpad kext to be used so this question:

Which touchpad do you have? Synaptics (Default) or ELAN? (Synaptics[s]/ELAN[e])

Turns to:

Which touchpad kext will you use? VoodooPS2Controller (Default) or SmartTouchPad? (VoodooPS2Controller[v]/SmartTouchPad[s])

Or whatever you think is more appropriate, convenient, or easier to implement it's totally up to you.

Any success with El Capitan?

Did Apple release the final build already? I've already tested with one of the early builds and reported partial success (as with most Hackintoshs back that time) in post #513 here in this thread. I believe the most problematic things have solutions by now and this machine will run El Capitan as good as it run Yosemite. I will not attempt any installation, though, until Apple release the final build which does not happen yet AFAIK.

Hi,

I was able to install using the step you provided in the post. 

The only problem which I'm currently facing is that I'm not able to use my touchpad and keyboard. So, without keyboard I'm not able to create a new account to log in. 

Below are the required details of my EFI folder:

Kindly review and let me know if you need more details. 

Hi,

I was able to install using the step you provided in the post. 

The only problem which I'm currently facing is that I'm not able to use my touchpad and keyboard. So, without keyboard I'm not able to create a new account to log in. 

Below are the required details of my EFI folder:

Kindly review and let me know if you need more details. 

Hi,

I see you are using VoodooPS2Controller.kext .. are you sure you have Synaptics Touchpad?

I have Synaptics Touchpad. I'm able to use external mouse, but not laptops Touchpad or Keyboard. 

Something is wrong. Try to boot using the USB installer and use Terminal to push VoodooPS2Controller.kext into /S/L/E and clear cache. If you are unable to do that because of keyboard not working then I suggest downloading VoodooPS2Controller.kext again and put it in place of the one you have or even remove EFI folder from the USB and re-install clover on it again.

I tried the guide with OS X 10.11 Golden Master. All works fine except AppStore login. If someone can help me with that it would be great!!

That's good news. I will look into all issues once the final version is released (i.e. available in Yosemite AppStore).

Thanks for the awesome guide.

You are welcome

• Like 1

The complete procedure is too long. Its not possible for me to write it all up. You can refer to other guide on the internet (search for "AppleHDA patching guide"). Now, i'll share the tough part thats needed to make it work perfectly so that if anybody ever want to patch it themselves they can do it.

Note: This is not a complete guide! I'm just sharing the trickiest part from the guide. (And its only for Realtek ALC282 - Codec ID - 0x10ec0282).

Please read the complete guide "here" before attempting THIS.

1. Codec-Pin Info :

Codec             :        Realtek ALC282

Address          :        0

Vendor ID       :        0x10ec0282 (HEX),   283902594 (Decimal)

Node           Pin Default             Description

0x12 (18)  :  0x90a60940  :  [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A

0x14 (20)  :  0x90170110  :  [Fixed] Speaker at Int N/A  [EAPD]

0x18 (24)  :  0x04a11830  :  [Jack] Mic at Ext Right {External Mic Jack}

0x21 (33)  :  0x04211050  :  [Jack] HP Out at Ext Right 

Check this info from codec_dump first.

2. Verbs Info :

There are two ways to do it. Both mentioned in the guide i linked above. I used the manual one.

01271C40 01271D00 01271EA0 01271F90 01471C10 01471D00 01471E17 01471F90 01871C30 01871D10 01871E81 01871F00 01E71C20 01E71D10 01E71E44 01E71F00 02171C50 02171D10 02171E21 02171F00 01470C02 

Note that this is the complete verb info after all the calculations and just need to be put in

"AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Info.plist->IOKitPersonalities->HDA Hardware Config Resource->HDAConfigDefault->Item 0->ConfigData"  

(Note: only put this in the "item" number where you have defined your "codec id" in decimals).

HqqwlZb.jpg

3. Path Map :

PathMaps for the Output and Input Devices of ALC282:

Pin Complex->Audio Mixer->Audio Output (Hex values)

Speaker : 20 -> 12 -> 2   (0x14 -> 0x0c -> 0x02)
HeadPhone : 33 -> 13 -> 3 (0x21 -> 0x0d -> 0x03)

Pin Complex->Audio Selector/Mixer->Audio Input(Hex values)

Internal Mic (0x12) : 18 -> 17 (0x12 -> 0x11)
External Mic (0x18) : 24 -> 34 -> 9 (0x18 -> 0x22 -> 0x09)

This all data goes under "Platforms.xml.zlib" file which is too long and can be confusing.

And thus you can take a look at my "Platforms.xml" (Inflated & Attached). I removed all the unnecessary code (almost 80%). 

Also attached is "Layout.xml"

Happy Hacking. Hope this helps. If anybody has a question feel free to ask here

Hello, thanks for your ALC282 kext, but I couldn't get the audio to work.

I am using Acer R7-572 with ALC 282 codec and intel Lync Point or something audio controller. It has a combo mic+headphone port (4 contacts), and 4 channel speakers (2 left, 2 right), and dual internal mic.

Here is the screenshot for the device id of the audio controller

0b10c9aa4d.png

I tried both methods on that page but still couldn't get it to work. I use clover to inject the audio layout ID, and when I check on ioreg, layout-id is 3 under HDEF. However there is still no audio device. I already restored to the vanilla AppleHDA after trying the first method, and installed EAPDFix and DummyHDA with kext helper which rebuilds the cache and repairs permission. I also placed the patches under kext section of config, and when I checked it with clover configurator it is there.

Do you have any idea how can I make this work?

Thanks.

Hello, thanks for your ALC282 kext, but I couldn't get the audio to work.

I am using Acer R7-572 with ALC 282 codec and intel Lync Point or something audio controller. It has a combo mic+headphone port (4 contacts), and 4 channel speakers (2 left, 2 right), and dual internal mic.

Here is the screenshot for the device id of the audio controller

0b10c9aa4d.png

I tried both methods on that page but still couldn't get it to work. I use clover to inject the audio layout ID, and when I check on ioreg, layout-id is 3 under HDEF. However there is still no audio device. I already restored to the vanilla AppleHDA after trying the first method, and installed EAPDFix and DummyHDA with kext helper which rebuilds the cache and repairs permission. I also placed the patches under kext section of config, and when I checked it with clover configurator it is there.

Do you have any idea how can I make this work?

Thanks.

Having the same codec model, ALC282, in your laptop (Acer R7-572) as in Lenovo Y510p does not mean the same kext would work. Many audio devices can exist with the same codec model but with different configurations. So both methods did not work for you? that's not unexpected. You will need to patch the kext for your specific configuration. 

This is from AppleHDA Patch Requests thread by Mirone (one of the most experienced members here):

7 - Even Codec Model / Different Pinconfigs And Pathmaps:

Examples Vs Solution:

1 - Internal Microphone do not work or Headphones.

2 - Read this GUIDE so that you can fix yourself

Note: I'm not going to correct the variations of the same codec model

an example is ALC269, there are several versions if any of them does

not work for you you must follow the GUIDE above and correct yourself.

Therefore, I believe you will need to follow Mirone's guide to patch the kext to comply with your audio device. The post you quoted by intruder16 is a summary for the process but more details on Mirone's guide.

One more thing, I read many comments by Mirone that combo-jacks are not supported and will not work so don't get high hopes for that (although the other audio ports can work).

I installed El Capitan and here's my installation review ..

Most of the steps in this guide for installing Yosemite will work for El Capitan. Post installation is where the challenge start for some devices. Nothing additional is required for Graphics, Keyboard & Touchpad, Sleep, Ethernet, WiFi (for those who have BCM4352), CPU Power Management, Battery, and Brightness. The problems I found are for Audio, Bluetooth, and maybe USB-3 would be problematic too but I'm not sure yet.

Audio:

Apple have updated AppleHDA.kext to 272.50 in 10.11 and for those who use VoodooHDA they should have no problems (while being OK with VoodooHDA general limitations). For the others who use native AppleHDA, however, the current methods provided and maintained by intruder16 are not working. Obviously, the first method to use a patched kext was not available for me at install time as intruder have not updated the kexts yet. The other method which relied on a separate kext for the codecs (DummyHDA) in addition to the native untouched AppleHDA kext is not working too and I could not get 10.11 to load DummyHDA at all as I always get this error after installing and clearing cache:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/DummyHDA.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

As a workaround, I patched AppleHDA myself to include the codecs required (attached for anyone who need it). I also found that 10.11 requires additional binary patch to AppleHDA which should be included in config.plist:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>AppleHDA Replace Apple Codec patch (4 of 4)</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>
	gxnUEQ==
	</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleHDA</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAA==
	</data>
</dict> 

So now there should be four patches for AppleHDA in config.plist (as shown using PlistEdit Pro):

bf308431f8e52923.png

And now audio is working fine. One more thing, we needed EAPDFix.kext as mentioned in the guide to fix audio after sleep/wake but now this kext is not working at least in my case. Once installed, system panics and refuse to boot until this kext is removed. For now, CodecCommander is a good alternative that does the job without kernel panics.

Bluetooth:

Many things have changed in 10.11 for USB and therefore, the usual method to fix bluetooth are not working as good as in 10.10.*. For BCM4352 users (and broadcom in general) no need for firmware uploading anymore but only injector kext to load Apple BT kext. There are couple of injectors for that purpose as of now (BrcmBluetoothInjector and BluetoothDevInfoInjector) and both works. However, bluetooth is broken once system goes to sleep/wake and I'm waiting for newer versions to try them.

USB:

The hackintosh community is flooded with topics about USB issues under 10.11 so I don't expect smooth experience here anyway. I have not made any tests yet, however, all USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) are working as usual for USB 2.0 devices. I'm not sure though about USB 3.0 devices on USB 3.0 ports as I don't have any to test with. So please anyone if you find a problem related to USB (especially USB 3.0 device) post it here so we can look for a solution.

AppleHDA.kext.zip