Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Sorry about that, I mistakenly put the wrong link. I updated the post above with the correct link.

I have downloaded the file after a long day in the office, and am starting to re-partition the drive and install.  I'll post my results once it's ready.  Thanks for sharing.

I have downloaded the file after a long day in the office, and am starting to re-partition the drive and install.  I'll post my results once it's ready.  Thanks for sharing.

I have the system boot up at last.  But the strange thing is that networking is not working at the get go.  I'll probably can only debug this tomorrow.  It's approaching midnight here, so I'm just gonna turn in for the night now.

Thank you very much.  The mac osx is now installed.  I just have to start running the post-install stuff.

I have the system boot up at last.  But the strange thing is that networking is not working at the get go.  I'll probably can only debug this tomorrow.  It's approaching midnight here, so I'm just gonna turn in for the night now.

Thank you very much.  The mac osx is now installed.  I just have to start running the post-install stuff.

It's not strange that networking is not working out of the box. I would not put a section for both Ethernet and WiFi in the guide if they were working. Anyway, glad you have insalled OS X .. Enjoy it :)

I cant seem to get my system running, the config.plist_bak works because it uses 0x04168086 as fakeID instead of 0x04128086. your attached config.plist do's not work at all.

I have no idea what i am doing wrong because i have tried everything and read the guide over and over...

I zipped my clover directory:

https://mega.nz/#!akwxGRoK

Hi ...

A bit of background:

Intel HD4600 Desktop (supported by OS X) have ID of: 0x04128086

Intel HD4600 Mobile (NOT supported by OS X) have ID of: 0x04168086

The Ideapad Y510p have Intel HD4600 Mobile inside which means the Intel GPU is NOT supported out of the box. To get proper graphics we use FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext in addition to setting FakeID=0x04128086 in Clover (or SSDT) to fake OS X by pretending that we have Desktop version that is supported and not the Mobile version which isn't.

Setting FakeID=0x4168086 is useless as it is the real ID for the Intel GPU inside. It is wrong and should be corrected to 0x04128086. Now that you can't boot or have a problem is another thing but don't assume it is related to FakeID value. Give more details on the problem you are having as it may be other thing you are not expecting .. oh and read again :)

• Like 1

The problem is that if i boot in verbose it do's not give a kernal panic or a sign of not working, it just do's not go any further

- I followed the guid of the dark void, i made a backup of libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib and deleted it from the directory

- I did not change anything to the AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.

- I tried a clean config.plist with platformID 0x0a260006 and once i put 0x04128086 it will not boot.

- i tried you'r config.plist not working

- i tried with and without ssdt + dsdt. not working

- i tried with and without 9mb fix not working

The problem is that if i boot in verbose it do's not give a kernal panic or a sign of not working, it just do's not go any further

- I followed the guid of the dark void, i made a backup of libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib and deleted it from the directory

- I did not change anything to the AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.

- I tried a clean config.plist with platformID 0x0a260006 and once i put 0x04128086 it will not boot.

- i tried you'r config.plist not working

- i tried with and without ssdt + dsdt. not working

- i tried with and without 9mb fix not working

I will assume you have successfully installed OS X but you are struggling at post installation steps. You should also let me know which version of OS X have you installed. In addition, grab a screenshot of the verbose where it stuck using a phone for example. Assuming the problem is graphics related then this what you need to do:

1. Make sure all OS X original files are not altered (a clean install is a good thing)
  2. Use AutoPatcher to patch your original DSDT and SSDTs (there is a needed fix to Intel GPU)
  3. Install both FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext in /S/L/E
  4. Set FakeID=0x04128086 and platformID=0x0a260006 in config.plist
  5. Clear cache correctly and reboot once or twice.

Notes:

1. The 9mb cursor patch fixes a glitch but it is not required to get QE/CI
  2. The method of patching libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib and AppleIntelHD5000Graphics is deprecated and the current method is using FakePCIID instead.
  3. My config.plist is the one I'm currently using to boot my properly configured OS X so it should be OK. If, however, you think it is evil or you don't like it for whatever reason, just prepare a new one following the guide and ignore mine. It is just a guideline for people but not a must-use.

After the installation, do I still have to stick to r2999 of clover or it is reasonable to run the latest version of clover?

No you don't need to stick to it. Actually, r2999 does not have any advantage over the following releases and you may have opted to chose a later version. The reason why I recommended this release (at that time) because it was the last release that did not have commenting (using #). I was worried that some people get confused about the hash key (#) and miss-configure their config.plist which did happen many times for those who said why not?? but if you are taking care and understand what you are doing it is totally reasonable to update. Even I don't use r2999 anymore ..  

• Install Clover almost the same why you did while creating the USB installer but with small changes to be made:
  • Tick “Install all RC scripts on target volume”.
  • Tick “Install Clover Preference Pane”.
  • Also edit config.plist to reflect these:
    • ACPI > SSDT > SortedOrder > List the order of the SSDT's (normally they should be SSDT.aml, SSDT-6.aml, SSDT-7.aml to match the tables names in BIOS. The AutoPatcher will return different names but rename the files accordingly)
    • Boot > Arguments > dart=0 darkwake=10 kext-dev-mode=1
    • Devices > FakeID > IntelGFX > 0x04128086
    • SMBIOS >
      • iMac14,2 should be OK but it is usually for desktops
      • MacBookPro 11,1 without issues (in the past this SMBIOS used to be problematic with Firefox-flash but not anymore).
      • MacBookPro 11,2 will generally work nice but with few-seconds delay for touchpad upon booting for those who have Synaptics touchpad. If you have Synaptics touchpad try to avoid this SMBIOS and use any one of the other two but if you have ELAN touchpad there is no problem reported.
  • Restart and boot from USB, select “Clover Boot Options”, and choose “Add Clover boot options for all entries”.
  • Restart without USB and Clover will boot off the EFI partition and you can boot straight into MacOSX

In this section above, 

"Install Clover almost the same why you did while creating the USB installer"  indicates installing clover on the new machine HDD or on the USB drive?

Does it mean I also tick the same options when creating the USB installer?  Do I have to use the r2999 Clover?

I'm sorry about being so pedantic, but I'm not quite confident of the installation at the moment.

In this section above, 

"Install Clover almost the same why you did while creating the USB installer"  indicates installing clover on the new machine HDD or on the USB drive?

Does it mean I also tick the same options when creating the USB installer?  Do I have to use the r2999 Clover?

I'm sorry about being so pedantic, but I'm not quite confident of the installation at the moment.

I thought it was obvious that you install Clover this time on the HDD so you can boot from it without the need for the USB. By saying "Almost the same way ..", I meant to follow the same procedure that is to run Clover installer, add/remove drivers (*.efi), configure with PlistEdit Pro, set the same settings unless stated otherwise (in which case I listed the changes that have to be set).

I believe I already replied to you about the Clover r2999 in post #786. I checked the guide and I found no mention for any specific Clover release so just get over it. It only appeared in posts to help others and was a good advice "at that time". For now, no advantage for using r2999 over any other recent release neither for USB installer nor for the actual system. Use whatever version you can configure correctly (mine is r3264).

And I'm not sure what are you not confident about? is your setup working or not?

Hi ahmed,

My y510p laptop is finally working. Thank you for the help all along the way

With the config.plist I had used to boot up with on the USB, I was finally able to narrow down the cause of my earlier failures.  Clover Configuration tool was adding flags and the such to the config.plist causing the boot to fail.  Even if you were to take the one you had working, and just did the change to SMBIOS on it, the boot will fail.

That really took me a long time to figure out, and my remediation was to do a diff of the files, generated vs shared by u, which finally got me to where I have the working laptop today.

I'll try to troubleshoot it further again when I have the time, to make sure I know which flags were causing my system to fail booting.

Cheers

Swee Tat Lim

With the config.plist I had used to boot up with on the USB, I was finally able to narrow down the cause of my earlier failures.  Clover Configuration tool was adding flags and the such to the config.plist causing the boot to fail.  Even if you were to take the one you had working, and just did the change to SMBIOS on it, the boot will fail.

Yea, it have been reported many times here of problems generates from using Clover Configurator. Even I had a problem with long ago but I stopped using it unless I need to generate SMBIOS. For that specific purpose I save the generated config.plist as a separate file and I copy the SMBIOS section only to my config.plist so I am confident the Configurator won't mess with any thing.

Glad you have it working finally ...

Good day, guys. Sorry for may be a silly question. I've just create a bootable usb with capitan, but when i try to boot up from it i always getting the same screen with circle and slash inside. I founded this on apple support site:

5c47e61e47530104233b336cb513e672.png

I tried both variants for creating: one from this brilliant guide and one with createinstallmedia from terminal. no luck. Did anyone ever face with the same problem?

Good day, guys. Sorry for may be a silly question. I've just create a bootable usb with capitan, but when i try to boot up from it i always getting the same screen with circle and slash inside. I founded this on apple support site:

5c47e61e47530104233b336cb513e672.png

I tried both variants for creating: one from this brilliant guide and one with createinstallmedia from terminal. no luck. Did anyone ever face with the same problem?

Create the USB as instructed in this guide and refer to post #775 to configure Clover for the USB and it will boot correctly.

• Like 1

i just installed el capitan on my ssd,

now i have andother problem that is bootin up from hdd.

apple logo and bar appears, its fully filled but the os does not start.

i just used ur 10.11 c..plist and I add kext-dev-mode=1 on boot arguments. rest is already come from ur file.

then i 

• Restart and boot from USB, select “Clover Boot Options”, and choose “Add Clover boot options for all entries”.

but last 10 mins there was no response

Btw i can still boot from usb  :drool:

i just installed el capitan on my ssd,

now i have andother problem that is bootin up from hdd.

apple logo and bar appears, its fully filled but the os does not start.

i just used ur 10.11 c..plist and I add kext-dev-mode=1 on boot arguments. rest is already come from ur file.

kext-dev-mode=1 is not needed anymore. What you are explaining may be a problem with your Clover setup. Boot in verbose mode and see where the boot stuck .. try to attach a screenshot as it will help.

then i 

but last 10 mins there was no response

And nothing special visually should happen. What this step do is to add entry in BIOS UEFI for Clover that you installed in EFI partition. After doing that step all you need to do is to restart without the USB and Clover should appear then you can use it to boot and no need to use the USB anymore.

Please don't delete your posts as long as there is nothing wrong with them. The posts that explain a problem should be kept for reference as someone else may have the same problem and find your post with the subsequent replies helpful. 

Firstly i want to thank u for that awesome guide  :thumbsup_anim:

i was able to multi boot el capitan / win 8.1

my problem is fixing the computer components...

i just able to install ethernet kext by using easykext (cuz system does not gives me a permition to copy unsigned kext in to the s/l/e )

at this point i was stucked...

and i try to use 

DSDT/SSDT Auto-Patcher for Lenovo Y510p Ideapad,

still cannot do anything. i run the script then copied the file refi/clover/acpi/patched and still 7mb :)

i just upload a screenshot from devices. intel hd 4600 tab it says no kext installed

and sorry for editing previous entry and my english (with is not my native language)

edit 1: i used script like

./Y510p.sh -t $HOME/desktop/songoku/y510p(foldername)

post-119055-0-14532000-1446661502_thumb.png

... my problem is fixing the computer components...

i just able to install ethernet kext by using easykext (cuz system does not gives me a permition to copy unsigned kext in to the s/l/e )

at this point i was stucked...

You don't need to copy the kexts manually to /S/L/E as they will have incorrect permissions anyway and OS X will complain about them. It is a good move to use easykext and I do use this app too.

To get graphics fixed you need ALL of the following:

1. Properly patched DSDT and SSDT
  2. Properly configured config.plist
  3. Kexts mentioned in the guide installed correctly

Drop a single item of these and graphics will break. Please refer to the guide and read how to do them as all the steps are there. There are issues with Auto-Patcher as the developer is away for long and I will fork the project and fix it when I have enough time (further info on post #742 and #743).

Thank u very much, now I'm going to read all about dsdt and ssdt patching. Need to understand that concept, then i try to fix the problem... if I have some problem I'm going to ask u again on this topic 

Best Regards

Erinç  :thumbsup_anim:

Create the USB as instructed in this guide and refer to post #775 to configure Clover for the USB and it will boot correctly.

First of all, thank you very much for your help. I successfully performed clean install of capitan. Everything works perfect instead of 2 things:

1. Brightness control (It works perfect in yosemite btw with auto-patcher). P.S. I've chosen elan touchpad option in auto-patcher, 'cause i have elan one. Anyway it's not so important for me, brightness is about 100% and it's OK.

2. Audio (it's very strange, because your patcher executed successfully (it seems to me). I see AppleHDA282.kext in SLE. I've updated config.plist properly with kext patches and audio layout, but no luck)