Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Wooohooooo! My sound and brightness both works now! 

Although I'd like to point is that my hackintosh was stuck in a bootloop with the config shared by ahmed. By bruteforce I found out that I had to enable "Kernel LAPIC" and "kernelPm" in kernel and kext patches section in clover config.

If any one in future is stuck at this, then this is the solution.

Cheers guys for making this work! I can now work on making sleep work. Yay!

Wooohooooo! My sound and brightness both works now! 

Although I'd like to point is that my hackintosh was stuck in a bootloop with the config shared by ahmed. By bruteforce I found out that I had to enable "Kernel LAPIC" and "kernelPm" in kernel and kext patches section in clover config.

If any one in future is stuck at this, then this is the solution.

Cheers guys for making this work! I can now work on making sleep work. Yay!

Congratulations !! Way to go!

I would disagree about the need for enabling "KernelLapic" and "kernelPm" in clover. Reading into Clover wiki:

ba200b142b5f8efc.PNG

We don't have HP notebook here.

2bdb1c1a4b539efc.PNG

We don't have locked MSRS nor do we attempt installing 10.8.5 or 10.9.

You may have had other problem and something you did fixed it but certainly not those patches. I told you this several times and here is one more time: READ :)

Congratulations !! Way to go!

I would disagree about the need for enabling "KernelLapic" and "kernelPm" in clover. Reading into Clover wiki:

ba200b142b5f8efc.PNG

We don't have HP notebook here.

2bdb1c1a4b539efc.PNG

We don't have locked MSRS nor do we attempt installing 10.8.5 or 10.9.

You may have had other problem and something you did fixed it but certainly not those patches. I told you this several times and here is one more time: READ :)

well, I did read everything and tbh I really wanted to know what all patches, flags stands for but I couldn't. So here I had my config which was working with full hd support and I had your config.plist which was giving a kernel panic. My pc was restarting as soon as I selected my hdd in clover.

Now I'm using your config file with these two options checked so don't really know what else it could have been. I'll come back to this later. But I have another issue to focus on to right now. After I used your config, this is how my top bar look like:

http://imgur.com/7hmnUwc

The other half of this bar is perfect, all other gfx is perfect. It's just this half of a bar! Anyways thanks for the insight. I'll dig in what really the problem is.

But I have another issue to focus on to right now. After I used your config, this is how my top bar look like:

http://imgur.com/7hmnUwc

The other half of this bar is perfect, all other gfx is perfect. It's just this half of a bar! 

That's normal if you did not apply the 9MB cursor framebuffer patch. In post-installation > graphics, I mentioned you need to apply that patch to fix the glitch:

6.1.1 Enabling QE/CI

In brief, this is what should be done to fix the graphics and enable QE/CI:

• Download, un-compress, and install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext in /S/L/E or Clover kexts.
  • Add 9MB cursor framebuffer patch in Clover (as described in the linked topic) to fix few glitches that often appear when using ig-platform-id = 0x0a260006.
  • Setting FakeID for IntelGFX of 0x04128086 either in Clover or by patching DSDT

If you are using my config.plist you should have this patch already. You just need to make sure you cleared the kernel cache correctly so the patch can apply (reboot twice thereafter). If not, then proceed to the page where the graphics fix originated and the patch will be there then use it in config.plist.

That's normal if you did not apply the 9MB cursor framebuffer patch. In post-installation > graphics, I mentioned you need to apply that patch to fix the glitch:

If you are using my config.plist you should have this patch already. You just need to make sure you cleared the kernel cache correctly so the patch can apply (reboot twice thereafter). If not, then proceed to the page where the graphics fix originated and the patch will be there then use it in config.plist.

cleared kernel cache and reboot twice. worked. :) thanks !

What I would think of your problem is that you trigger this issue (one way or another) but you would not feel anything went wrong. Once you reboot, BOOM ... no display, you don't seen Lenovo logo, no Clover options and it should stuck at Clover waiting for you to blindly select an OS to boot into. However, if you set Clover to autoboot a specific entry (last one used for example) after a specific timeout, you will eventually find yourself in OS X again where the graphics should back online again.

Try not to trigger the issue and see whether reboot function properly or not. For example, fresh boot OS X then immediately restart once it log in. Oh and by the way, do not enable Legacy Support in BIOS.

Yes, it behaves like you said exactly. I can boot blindly in other OS but only with black screen.

Yes, it behaves like you said exactly. I can boot blindly in other OS but only with black screen.

No solution for that yet. Just make sure you don't enable Legacy Support in BIOS and that you don't restart after doing any thing that switches OS X display off/on.

Guide is updated. Change log:

• 18/11/2015
    • Modified version of Auto-Patcher is added to Downloads section (until its author update his git)
    • Added EFI folder for USB installer (both 10.10 and 10.11) in Downloads section
    • More things have been removed/edited to update information

Hi guys,

I have Y510P with latest BIOS from Lenovo, Nvidia 755 SLI config. But I pulled out the Ultrabay card and in BIOS I set graphics to "UMA only". (and disabled safe boot). 

I just tried installing OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 but I have a problem when booting the installer, see the picture: 

post-370007-0-51081100-1448379836_thumb.jpg

I installed OS X 10.11 in VMWare Workstation and got a copy of 10.11.1 from the App Store, installed clover and did the fixes. Even tried to replace the folder in the EFI section on the USB stick. But in both cases it seems to be stuck in this screen. As you can see it gives some Notices, Errors and Warnings before stopping at this line. When not in verbose mode, the beach ball keeps spinning. I need some help to continue booting the installer. (although I installed OS X 10.7 on a different PC before, it was some time ago, and with that PC I was quite lucky). What could be the problem. Because of all the errors I don't know where to begin looking for the problem. 

EDIT:

Apparently I was using the wrong error code to Google for solutions. I had to remove all the 10.X folders in EFI/Clover/kexts and put the two kexts mentioned in the guide into the "Other"  folder. Now I'm able to boot to the installer, I will continue tomorrow (or this week) with installing OS X on my USB stick. It might be an idea to include in the guide that if you're stuck on the same error (or similar) as in the picture to move the kexts from 10.11 to Other and delete all the 10.x folders? 

Hi guys,

I have Y510P with latest BIOS from Lenovo, Nvidia 755 SLI config. But I pulled out the Ultrabay card and in BIOS I set graphics to "UMA only". (and disabled safe boot). 

I just tried installing OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 but I have a problem when booting the installer, see the picture: 

attachicon.gifIMG_0592.JPG

I installed OS X 10.11 in VMWare Workstation and got a copy of 10.11.1 from the App Store, installed clover and did the fixes. Even tried to replace the folder in the EFI section on the USB stick. But in both cases it seems to be stuck in this screen. As you can see it gives some Notices, Errors and Warnings before stopping at this line. When not in verbose mode, the beach ball keeps spinning. I need some help to continue booting the installer. (although I installed OS X 10.7 on a different PC before, it was some time ago, and with that PC I was quite lucky). What could be the problem. Because of all the errors I don't know where to begin looking for the problem. 

EDIT:

Apparently I was using the wrong error code to Google for solutions. I had to remove all the 10.X folders in EFI/Clover/kexts and put the two kexts mentioned in the guide into the "Other"  folder. Now I'm able to boot to the installer, I will continue tomorrow (or this week) with installing OS X on my USB stick. It might be an idea to include in the guide that if you're stuck on the same error (or similar) as in the picture to move the kexts from 10.11 to Other and delete all the 10.x folders? 

I think that was already mentioned in the guide. No extra kexts should be there.

• 2 weeks later...

DSDT Auto-Patcher for Y510p Updated.

Changelog:

v1.5 (06 Dec 2015) : 
  • Added support for El Caiptan 10.11 & above

• Added support for SmartTouchpad users for both Synaptic & ELAN touchpads

• minor improvements/optimizations

Extremely sorry for the delay. Keep hackintoshing.

@ahmed_ais

Thanks for the excellent guide. I upgraded to El Capitan in minutes thanks to you. But there's a bug, the AppleHDA script you provided did not work for me. The script executes with no error but after countless restarts still no sound. Maybe its not compatible with 10.11.1. I don't have much time to debug the script to find out the bug. Please look into it.

For the temporary solution, I manually copied all the kexts you attached previously in some post and it worked.

@All,

Please try the new script and post here or in my github (under "issues") if there's any problem. Especially Yosemite users as i didn't test it in Yosemite. There's some new code that checks for OS version and modifies the "usb.txt" patch accordingly. Also, check for Synaptics and ELAN touchpad brightness control. Thanks in advance.

Changelog:

v1.5 (06 Dec 2015) : 
  • Added support for El Caiptan 10.11 & above

• Added support for SmartTouchpad users for both Synaptic & ELAN touchpads

• minor improvements/optimizations

Extremely sorry for the delay. Keep hackintoshing.

Here we are finally ... welcome back and thanks for the update.

@ahmed_ais

Thanks for the excellent guide. I upgraded to El Capitan in minutes thanks to you. But there's a bug, the AppleHDA script you provided did not work for me. The script executes with no error but after countless restarts still no sound. Maybe its not compatible with 10.11.1. I don't have much time to debug the script to find out the bug. Please look into it.

For the temporary solution, I manually copied all the kexts you attached previously in some post and it worked.

Yes someone else mentioned a problem with the script too but I did not have the time to investigate. Ironically, the dummy kext I attached before was a result of the script and it still work fine here. I will take a look at it soon.

....Yes someone else mentioned a problem with the script too but I did not have the time to investigate. Ironically, the dummy kext I attached before was a result of the script and it still work fine here. I will take a look at it soon.

I tried using "only" the dummy kext you posted but that too didn't work. Then i downloaded the attachment from this post (which contains both, the untouched AppleHDA and the dummy kext) as the last resort b'coz I wanted my hackintosh up and and running as fast as possible. I think that attachment came from 10.11. That's why it worked. The solution is either in Apple binary patch or clover patch (different for 10.11.1?). I'm not so sure, its been a while since i've used any hackintosh forum. I'm not on mac anymore so can't check it.

Well, I don't have much to say about this at the moment as I only use Windows for the time being and don't have time to spare on OS X. The one thing I'm sure of is that the dummy kext resulted from the script works on my setup and survived the update to 10.11.1 without any problems. This suggests the binary patches in Clover are fine. It may be a problem of how the dummy kext is created (or installed) but I will test this later. In the meantime, the script is straightforward and everyone should read it and manually do the job without the need for the script at all.

I have found the bug with AppleHDA dummy kext creator (Y510p-OSX-AppleHDA) and got it fixed (I believe). 

v1.1.0 (2015-12-07) Change-log:

• fixed incorrect kext version in dummy kext's Info.plist which prevented the kext from loading
  • more accurate method to fix kexts permissions after installing the dummy kext is adopted.
  • clean-ups here and there

I hope someone try the new version and give some feedback.

• Like 1

I have found the bug with AppleHDA dummy kext creator (Y510p-OSX-AppleHDA) and got it fixed (I believe). 

1.1.0 (2015-12-07) Change-log:

• fixed incorrect kext version in dummy kext's Info.plist which prevented the kext from loading
  • more accurate method to fix kexts permissions after installing the dummy kext is adopted.
  • clean-ups here and there

I hope someone try the new version and give some feedback.

Kudos! Working for me in 10.11.1 now.

@All, 

The "usb" patch is still not fixed i believe. There are many changes in El Capitan in usb drivers. Nevertheless, both usb 3.0 and 2.0 are working as expected. I did find some minor issues like bluetooth (for BCM94352HMB users) not available after sleep (because it's connected to usb internally). It should be easy to fix as there are many guides for it now. I'll try working on it as soon as i get some time.

Changelog:

v1.6 (08 Dec 2015) : 
  • Fixed USB patches for El Caiptan 10.11 & above

• Fixed a bug where DSDT won't compile if you did not chose to add "DSDT Debug Methods" but chose "WAK/PTS" or "EC Queries"

• Raised "tmp-1", "tmp-2" folder limit to "tmp-100" (previously upto "tmp-10")

USB should be fully working now (SuperSpeed USB 3.0 & HighSpeed USB 2.0). Also for those using usb wifi, kernel panics while removing usb wifi or turning it off should be fixed

Not sure if USB Port Injector is needed.

IMP: (Only for El Capitan 10.11+ usersDon't forget to install FakePCIID.kext & FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (included in FakePCID zip) from here.

• Like 1

Kudos! Working for me in 10.11.1 now.

Thanks for the feedback!

@All, 

The "usb" patch is still not fixed i believe. There are many changes in El Capitan in usb drivers. Nevertheless, both usb 3.0 and 2.0 are working as expected. I did find some minor issues like bluetooth (for BCM94352HMB users) not available after sleep (because it's connected to usb internally). It should be easy to fix as there are many guides for it now. I'll try working on it as soon as i get some time.

I had this issue of bluetooth not working after sleep and investigated it 2 months ago. Yes it is a usb problem but I believe this problem have been fixed. You can read my conversation with Rehabman about this issue here (posts 446-454). Long story short, the fix is to use BrcmPatchRAM2+BrcmFirmwareRepo in addition to properly patching DSDT with regard to usb (specifically not to rename XHC to XHC1). I understand that you are definitely aware of XHC thing but that was the solution actually at least for me and I have BCM94352HMB as well.

Edit: just saw your post about v1.6 and I think you might have fixed that usb issue and bluetooth working fine for you now, I hope.

Changelog:

v1.6 (08 Dec 2015) : 
  • Fixed USB patches for El Caiptan 10.11 & above

• Fixed a bug where DSDT won't compile if you did not chose to add "DSDT Debug Methods" but chose "WAK/PTS" or "EC Queries"

• Raised "tmp-1", "tmp-2" folder limit to "tmp-100" (previously upto "tmp-10")

USB should be fully working now (SuperSpeed USB 3.0 & HighSpeed USB 2.0). Also for those using usb wifi, kernel panics while removing usb wifi or turning it off should be fixed

Not sure if USB Port Injector is needed.

IMP: (Only for El Capitan 10.11+ usersDon't forget to install FakePCIID.kext & FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (included in FakePCID zip) from here.

I want to update the guide to re-include this great tool. Just waiting for some feedback as I am too busy to test by myself at the moment.

As always, thanks for your hard work and time.

No need to say thanks mate.

As per the usb problem, all the usb 3.0 ports are now attached to XHCI and 2.0 to EHCI. Some usb devices (like usb wifi) behave better when routed through EHCI. For example, i used usb wifi before i ordered BCM94352HMB card. The usb wifi used to give kernel panics (happens to almost everyone) if not routed through EHCI controller. Now that problem is gone! That's why there was GenericUSBXHCI.kext which essentially did the same thing. Same goes for bluetooth. Definitely a usb problem. I didn't test it extensively, but my bluetooth is usable anytime now.

Also, i added a new patch (separate patches for 10.10.x and 10.11.x) to rename EHC1 and EHC2 devices in DSDT to EH01 and EH02 which removes the port restrictions by apple drivers (if any) for El Capitan.

But I have to admit, I'd really appreciate some feedback from users though.

.... I didn't test it extensively, but my bluetooth is usable anytime now.

That's great ...

Also, i added a new patch (separate patches for 10.10.x and 10.11.x) to rename EHC1 and EHC2 devices in DSDT to EH01 and EH02 which removes the port restrictions by apple drivers (if any) for El Capitan.

I thought about this earlier while you were away (among other USB related things). I had this conversation with Rehabman and he advised this:

If all your ports are working and internal USB devices, no need to do anything.

I thought to try renaming both EHCI nonetheless and see what may happen. Nothing happened that I could notice so I guess he is right on this (as usual of course) and it is not adding. That said, no harm for renaming them though.

Any tips on upgrading to 10.11? I'm trying to get it installed, but restarting into the installer always leads to some memory allocation error.

I have not tried the upgrade from 10.10.x to 10.11.x but I made a clean installation of 10.11.0 which went smooth, why don't you give it a try?