Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)

holyfield

573 posts in this topic

I did some research using data from a real Mac mini3,1 and can confirm you are right; EEE code is located xxxxxxxxxXDAx.

So MLB can be this way PP Y WW SSSS EEE C. I'm also pretty sure that SSS in S/N and SSSS in MLB are the production number for that week in Base34, but my conclusions are empirical and based on results in Klantenservice, that I don't know how much I can trust.

A couple of notes, before people here get confused.

There are two different MLB variants, being a short one for old hardware (EEE) and a longer one (EEEE) used for new(er) hardware. And the production data isn't Base34 but Base36. At least for new hardware, because I found one with a Z in it and that won't fit Base34.

I don't trust this "klantenservice" thing because many of my lookups failed.

• Like 2

An important update, ROM/MLB values are used only once per session lifetime, at very first login. Once logged in, you can change MLB, ROM, System Serial, SMBIOS settings, all except hardware ID and byHost ID. If hardware ID changes you loose immediately iMessage session. Session lifetime is update at each service usage connection. ROM/MLB values aren't checked later at all, until you have signed out and trying to sign in again.

iMessage session creation issue has nothing to do with user authentication, it's pure hardware identification issue.

When you are login into iMesssage with valid Apple ID you bypass the authentication without any issues. You don't need valid ROM/MLB etc. Totally random values are good enough to bypass authentication. If you have empty values, you wouldn't succeed. Check it by yourself. Activate the guest account. Login in with Guest. Open iMessage, enter your Apple ID and press sign in. For next you should see a welcome message, which shows some personal data retrieved from Apple server. No any error messages. But when you open account preferences, you see your Apple ID email, but you aren't logged in.

Check this image from opening post. 

imessage-guest-account-login-chain-bad-h

It's obvious, that Apple changed something on their servers on Nov 17, 2014, when several major security updates were released.

apple-mac-and-guid-gen.png

• Apple MAC Hack - very handsome tool to clone your MLB/ROM from Genuine MAC. 

Put this tool on USB with your clover config file, go to host, insert dongle. Enable on System Setting -> Security -> Allow apps from anywhere. Launch app, don't do anything, just drag Clover conf file into Apple Mac model image on the right side and voila, you have cloned and patched Clover settings file on USB dongle. Go back to your machine where you need iMessage Fix and replace your Clover config file with this one.

If you don't have genuine Mac you can ask some friend kindly for those values   ;) Those values are used only for iMessage services at the moment. 

Btw, you can generate valid Apple Mac addresses with this tool too, to replace your network card MAC addresses, to make you look real Apple device on network too ;)

• Like 4

Hi,

I've been following this thread closely after the iMessage update thing... 

I was wondering if this MLB is on the right track of becoming valid due to your guys' discoveries:

C0 2 31 661 xx DRVC xx

This is for a MBA5,2, and here's my Chipmunk.nl output:

Number of lookups done last 30 days: 1
You will be limited to 10 lookups per 30 days. 

Nice Name: MacBook Air 13 inch Core i5 (Mid 2012)
Machine Model: MacBookAir5,2
Family name: A1466
Group1: MacBook
Group2: Air
Generation: 
CPU speed: 1.8GHz
Screen size: 13 inch
Screen resolution: 1440x900 pixels
Colour: Aluminium
Production year: 2013 
Production week: 31 (August) 
Model introduced: 2012
Capacity: 4GB/128GB
Memory - flavour: x0
Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com) China)

Nice work guys!  :D 

Hi,

I've been following this thread closely after the iMessage update thing... 

I was wondering if this MLB is on the right track of becoming valid due to your guys' discoveries:

C0 2 31 661 xx DRVC xx

This is for a MBA5,2, and here's my Chipmunk.nl output:

Number of lookups done last 30 days: 1

You will be limited to 10 lookups per 30 days. 

Nice Name: MacBook Air 13 inch Core i5 (Mid 2012)

Machine Model: MacBookAir5,2

Family name: A1466

Group1: MacBook

Group2: Air

Generation: 

CPU speed: 1.8GHz

Screen size: 13 inch

Screen resolution: 1440x900 pixels

Colour: Aluminium

Production year: 2013 

Production week: 31 (August) 

Model introduced: 2012

Capacity: 4GB/128GB

Memory - flavour: x0

Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com) China)

Nice work guys!  :D 

1.) DRVC is not a valid EEE code.

2.) Where is this 661 coming from?

3.) The xx values are Base36.

4.) Why do you have a 2 for production year instead of a 3?

1.) DRVC is not a valid EEE code.

2.) Where is this 661 coming from?

3.) The xx values are Base36.

4.) Why do you have a 2 for production year instead of a 3?

I got the DRVC / year 2 from my S/N (generated by Clover Configurator, I'm starting to suspect it's incorrect, although it's been fine before):

C02xxxxxDRVC

I got the 661 from here, as it seemed like other people were doing it as well:  http://www.macpartsonline.com/661-6698-display-clamshell-13-inch-etched-la-a1466.html

Where can I get the EEE codes? From the macpartsonline website?

Thanks for the xx value clarification!

Cheers!

In the 'Additional Information' table for the logic board.

Thank you for the information!  :D

My MLB now is as follows: C02231661xxDYRQxx

I got my EEE information from here: http://www.macpartsonline.com/661-6680-apple-logic-board-1-7ghz-4gb-for-macbook-air-13-inch-mid-2012-a1466.html

I hope this is correct?  :)

Cheers!

People with two valid/working MLB/ROM combinations should try this:

Copy "x1" and the ROM value from the first MLB to the second one and see if that works.

PPGYWWTTTx1EEEEx2

Repeat this step in case of failure with the x2 and later the TTT value.
This test should tell us if there is some sort of ROM checksum in the MLB or that Apple is using a server side verification.

Thank you for testing this!

People with two valid/working MLB/ROM combinations should try this:

Copy "x1" and the ROM value from the first MLB to the second one and see if that works.

PPGYWWTTTx1EEEEx2

Repeat this step in case of failure with the x2 and later the TTT value.
This test should tell us if there is some sort of ROM checksum in the MLB or that Apple is using a server side verification.

Thank you for testing this!

All three instances failed. 

Someone on TM posted this today:

"hello, i took the MB Serial Number and SMUUID from a iMac 12.1 and leave my Macmini 6,2 SMBios, own ROM and real Macmini 6,1 SN and it works with login/logout without calling."

This is very interesting because when I tried my Genuine MLB/ROM swap, it failed. Maybe there's more to the SmUUID than we realize.

Edit: I did what the poster on TM said, but with my generated SN and it failed.

I'm starting to think the values need to be on apple's servers, thus why we are having so much trouble.

All three instances failed. 

Someone on TM posted this today:

"hello, i took the MB Serial Number and SMUUID from a iMac 12.1 and leave my Macmini 6,2 SMBios, own ROM and real Macmini 6,1 SN and it works with login/logout without calling."

This is very interesting because when I tried my Genuine MLB/ROM swap, it failed. Maybe there's more to the SmUUID than we realize.I'll say this one last time it doesn't matter what SN or SMUUID you use, the only thing that works is a registered ROM and MLB thats it nothing else is required.

I say this one more time, it doesn't matter what SN or SMUUID you use the only thing that will work is a registered ROM and MLB nothing else will work.

I say this one more time, it doesn't matter what SN or SMUUID you use the only thing that will work is a registered ROM and MLB nothing else will work.

Sorry to interject here, but by "registered ROM and MLB", do you mean registered on Apple's servers? Or valid ROM / MLB? Because if it needs to be on Apple's servers then there may be little we can do (if I understand it correctly, most likely I don't ;) )

you need to register your ROM/MLB  from Apple customer support so you need to contact with them

Sorry to interject here, but by "registered ROM and MLB", do you mean registered on Apple's servers? Or valid ROM / MLB? Because if it needs to be on Apple's servers then there may be little we can do (if I understand it correctly, most likely I don't ;) )

you need to register your ROM/MLB  from Apple customer support so you need to contact with them

Yes this is the most likely case. 

I have completely non-standard made-up MLB and ROM values and after contacting Apple support with the error code they were succesfully paired with my AppleID. They may have implemented tighter controls now.

I need a tool to dmidecode some extracted SMBIOS.bin files, but I don't have the time to write one myself so I was kind of wondering if someone here can do this, or point me into the right direction (file download). Thanks!

would be something like this?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/153582-smbios-dumper-and-matching-dmidecode/

or this:dmidecode-2.12.zip

• Like 2

Yes this is the most likely case. 

I have completely non-standard made-up MLB and ROM values and after contacting Apple support with the error code they were succesfully paired with my AppleID. They may have implemented tighter controls now.

... And as if by magic I have now been remotely signed out after 5 weeks.   :ihw_pop:

So...Generate MLB (that looks like genuine Mac) won't fix the problem because we still need it to be registered via Apple Customer Support right?

But if we do that it will get Apple more attention as holyfield stated in OP.

As people with no have genuine MLB I just think about removing iMassage & FaceTime from Dock :unsure:

^^ We've all been, you need genuine numbers now, calling won't help anymore or maybe they will authorize you for another session if you lucky. No need to worry you can use ROM/MLB numbers from the internet if you don't have other Mac.

From the Internet? Here's a good story. Someone I know bought a 2014 Mac mini in the edu store last week, and returned it after ripping everything he needed LOL

• Like 6