[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

pepto, thanks for this guide, I was able to install 10.10.2 on my Optiplex 755 because of this. However, I cannot get ethernet or the graphics to work (shows 5mb still). This is also my first attempt at hackintosh.

Questions:

1. Can I use these kexts that you have written for the 760/780? (I have read there are similarities between 760/755, such as processors, however things like the DDR2 ram is different.)

2. If I find kexts for the 755 for an older version of osx, will these work as well?

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for such a helpful tutorial. After few attempts I managed to install Yosemite on my Optiplex780 and even my graphics card is working beautifully with dual monitors. 

But sound is not working properly. First of all there is high noise from the internal speakers like the volume is set to full. Also the volume control on the menu does not change when slide up or down. But If i play a video or audio through VLC, I can control the volume but that noise still remain there and u can hear that all the time unless if we change the volume from VLC to high enough.

I followed your tutorial and using Clover, HD5450 1GB (w/ HDMI) card and my mainboard has ADI 1984A audio codec.

I really need your help guys as I have spent 1 week just trying to figure this out about this noise and why volume control not working from the menu.

Thank you for all your wonderful work.

Cheers

Hello !

See here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283298-guide-ml-108x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?p=1966874

and here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

And you shuold be fine ;)

PS : AFAK, there's no AppleHDA patch for ADI 1984A audio codec.

Thanks polyzargone for your quick reply .....the links you provided were really helpful and indeed i was able to fix the noise and volume slider up/down issue ...

I have another issue which I could not find any solution too even after few attempts and I hope you or anyone on this forum can guide me through that.

When my mac goes to sleep, then on wakeup i lose network connectivity and i cant seem to connect to anything ... not even local network. Right now the only way for me is to reboot the machine to get the connectivity back.

My hardware is on-board Intel® 82567LM Gigabit Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000 (Remote Wake Up, PXE support and Intel Active Management Technology support).

Your help will be highly appreciated mate.

Cheers

pepto, thanks for this guide, I was able to install 10.10.2 on my Optiplex 755 because of this. However, I cannot get ethernet or the graphics to work (shows 5mb still). This is also my first attempt at hackintosh.

Questions:

1. Can I use these kexts that you have written for the 760/780? (I have read there are similarities between 760/755, such as processors, however things like the DDR2 ram is different.)

2. If I find kexts for the 755 for an older version of osx, will these work as well?

First : Optiplex 755/760/780 and probably 790 shares the same kexts configuration under OS X so you can use them with no problem. Second : OS X 10.10.2 comes with new graphics kexts so the ones from this guide are likely depreciated and you shouldn't use them. This is true for any System kexts but is not required for others. That means that olders versions of kexts like EliottForceLegacyRTC.kext or FakeSMC.kext should works flawlessly (though it still better to use most recents ones). Use tips below to enable QE/CI on your Optiplex. For network, see post #107 right before this one ;)

For AMD Radeon HD 5450 owners, there's two methods (use one, not both at the same time or it will fail)

1/ see here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292748-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?p=2084065

2/ see here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292748-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?p=2084524

Place the attached file in your Extra folder (if you're using Chameleon) and add this boot-flag to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist :

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

or in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder (if you're using Clover) :

With this method, it's mandatory to use original and unmodified kexts.

NB : there's a third method which consist to set ATI Inject to Yes in Clover's config.plist but it seems it's insufficient with AMD Radeon HD 5450 series so you may have to use method 1 at the same time to make it works.

Here's a question - I have a GTX 660 - I shouldn't have to do anything to the video with this, should I?

Should works OOB but you may need to set nVidia Inject to Yes in Clover or GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Chameleon. No kexts patching should be required.

Hi all,

thank you for this great tutorial. My computer is up and running but I have a few questions and I must say that I'm a beginner in terms of DSDT, kext installs and so on.

• Audio is distorted.
    There is a permanent noise on both back and front jack. It seems VoodooHDA is not installed, nor is AppleHDADisabler. Is this a known problem and how would I fix this? Can I use a tool like MacBeast ontop of Clover (I just don't understand the relationships, sorry.)
  • Mouse movement "not precise"
    I have a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse and installed the official driver. Still the mouse movement seems to be somehow not fluent and so does scrolling. Sometimes it has little jumps.

You see, I'm starting to learn. Thank for your help, maybe someone even has a link to a comprehensive tutorial to osx86.

[update]

Tried installing VoodooHDA from this source. Now I have missing sound and am not sure how to remove kexts. I understand i have to delete voodoohda.kext & probably AppleHDADisabler.kext and rebuild cache & fix permissions but am not sure how to do that. [/update]

Hello !

For Audio, you can easily check if VoodooHDA.kext is installed by looking into System/Library/Extensions folder. If not, install the VoodooHDA.pkg available @ sourceforge.net. But the fact that you do have sound means that VoodooHDA is installed.

To fix noise and/or other issues, see my post #105

For kext management, use Kext Wizard app. It's very simple and it does all the required things to correctly install kexts. To learn more about kexts management, structure and suitable place to install them regarding the bootloader you are using, Google is your friend. That's the way when it comes to Hackintosh ;)

Finally, I don't know about your mouse issues but you can try without the official driver and just let OS X handle it…

Good luck !

• Like 1

Thank you @polyzargone for your quick help.

I didn't find a source for pkg other than I posted in my post before which gave me troubles. I managed to uninstall that and found the voodoohda.kext.zip on sourceforge. But I figure I have to remove AppleHDA.kext first, do I? With only the kext I might still be missing the PrefsPane for Voodoo??

Now I'm totally confused but at least i got me the Kext Wizard for installation. :)

I forgot: when installing from pkg (last post) and rebuilt the cache I got this warning:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext VoodooHDA.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Invalid signature -67030 for kext <OSKext 0x7fa21ca17a80 [0x7fff7dd06cf0]> { URL = "VoodooHDA.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA" }

Installed it and kexts are present in /S/L/E. PrefsPane gives errors when changing any setting and noise is still present:

ERROR
Can't connect to StructMethod to send commands

Try other pakckages like 2.8.4 or 2.8.6 and fix noise and other issues by following those tips : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

or try this :

VoodooHDA+AppleHDADisabler.zip

• Like 1

Last night I did a Clean install of Yosemite on a new Hard Drive. I first made a Time Machine Backup on a USB Drive. Then I installed Yosemite with my Yosemite/Clover USB installer. After the reboot I

was prompted if I wanted to install all apps and setting from previous TM Backup. I answered yes, and clicked on TM USB drive and latest backup. About 30 minutes later the Computer rebooted to the

Desktop. I then installed the latest version of Clover. I mounted the EFI partition, and copied my Clover folder over from my previous install. I rebooted, and and after I got back to Desktop, everything

worked! Video was perfect, sound, sleep, etc. All my previous Apps were already installed, my iTunes, folders, files , Video's, Pictures everything. Then I updated to 10.10.2, rebooted, and everything

perfect!

Gotta love OS X. :)

I forgot: when installing from pkg (last post) and rebuilt the cache I got this warning:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext VoodooHDA.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Invalid signature -67030 for kext <OSKext 0x7fa21ca17a80 [0x7fff7dd06cf0]> { URL = "VoodooHDA.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA" }

Don't worry ! This is normal as VoodooHDA isn't an Apple signed kext.

Boot-flag kext-dev-mode=1 allows those kexts to load as stated

Last night I did a Clean install of Yosemite on a new Hard Drive. I first made a Time Machine Backup on a USB Drive. Then I installed Yosemite with my Yosemite/Clover USB installer. After the reboot I

was prompted to install all apps and setting from previous TM Backup. I answered yes, and clicked on TM USB drive and latest backup. About 30 minutes later the Computer rebooted to the Desktop. I

then installed the latest version of Clover. I mounted the EFI partition, and copied my Clover folder over from my previous install. I rebooted, and and after I got back to Desktop, everything worked! Video

was perfect, sound sleep, etc. All my previous Apps were already installed, my iTunes, folders, files video's, everything. 

Gotta love OS X. :)

Yeah ! Time Machine is wonderful for that :D. The only drawback (but it's the same with all cloning methods) is that it doesn't copy the EFI partition nor the boot files.

And BTW, it's a great way to import iCloud settings on AMD-based setups :dev:

• Like 2

Yes, everyone needs to call Apple Support and complain that Time Machine does not restore our boot-loaders! :)

While we are at it, we also need to suggest they should supply us all with Valid MLB and ROM numbers! I think we should be able to purchase them in the APP Store for about $5. ;)

• Like 1

polyzargone my dear helper! :D

Do you know why APP Store is slow, sometimes "Cannot Connect to the App Store"

I've deleted network adapter several times, but no success :(

Sometimes works... Can't figure out... It would be easier if never woks

Also, YT play some videos normaly, sometimes to slow to load, and default is 144p video

Everything else works perfectly! :)

Built-in Ethernet needs to be en0.

Delete all network connections, and also delete the  NetworkInterfaces.plist, at: Library/Preferences/StstemConfiguration.

Then reboot, go to System Preferences and add the Ethernet connection first. Now go to system info and see if Ethernet is en0. 

Then see if you can sign in to app store. :)

• Like 2

Try other pakckages like 2.8.4 or 2.8.6 and fix noise and other issues by following those tips : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

or try this :

Thanks I installed it and it doesn't throw me errors but the noise is still there, so I assume it's a hardware fault.

Next (important) problem [AND SOLUTION] > Update 2:

My network connection doesn't seem to be stable. I get a lot of "Server not found" errors every now and then. I tried different DNS Servers (Google: 8.8.8.8) but that only solved it for the first moment. I don't know how to tackle that problem.

I'm sure its not our LAN because my Windows PC is fast w/o errors. Same DNS Servers.

What I tried:

• checked driver with Kext Wizard and it showed me com.AppleIntelE1000e... v1.3.10 > but no kext in the /S/L/E folder!
  • New Network location (proposign post) with the usual settings. Manual IP / DNS
  • different DNS servers
  • solution from this post: delete network adapter and NetworkInterfaces.plist didn't help.
  • change network cable didn't help
  • installed a USB Wi-Fi adapter > that one seems to work without problems but I need LAN
  • installed AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip kext SEEMS TO BE THE SOLUTION (sourceforge osx86 drivers) > all kind of problems
  • [update 2] installed Intel82566MM.kext, thanks to @polyzargone  > SOLUTION > network hangs when using rsync (not sure if it causes it)
  • [update 3] installed AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip

SOLUTION [Update 3]:

• install Kext Wizard (find it >here<)
  • delete AppleIntelE1000e & Intel82566MM from /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10
  • install AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip via Kext Wizard to /S/L/E
  • Rebuild Kernel Cache

$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

$ sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel

• Reboot

@pepto : Please update your install guide with this. Thank you.

@MacWiesel

Deleting all network connections and NetworkInterfaces.plist, then Reboot and adding ethernet connection first, is suggested solution for Cannot Sign In To App Store Problem,

not for intermittent  network connections over ethernet.

Also, guide is setup for Clover, which is completely different than Chameleon,  or some other boot loaders. Some members choose to use boot loader other than Clover, and 

that is fine, but they must realize that they may have kext problems because of it, even if they did original install using Yosemite/Clover USB Pen from instructions in this Guide.

All kexts needed for Optiplex 760/780 are included in Clover folder, or at least they seem to work for most.

I just did my second clean install of Yosemite using Clover and Clover Folder from this Guide, (including kexts) and everything is working perfect. I use the edited DSDT

so no Video Kext edits were required, even after updating to 10.10.2. I cannot speak on Audio issues, because going back to Mavericks Guide last year I never found an audio kext 

that worked the way I wanted with complete controls over all volume controls and with no sound distortion problems.  

My audio solution was to use $5 USB  audio adapter which is plug and play, and solves all of my audio needs. 

Congrats on solving your internet connection problem, :thumbsup_anim:     but do not hold your breath waiting for it to be added to pepto's guide. ;)

• Like 1

Excellent Mac for well under £100 (plus spare bits available on the shelf), all works perfectly under Yosemite

OP 780, 16 Gb PC3 1600 RAM, Intel Q8200

Geekbench 3 gives:

Single-Core Score    1485

Multi-Core Score    5083

Which according to this it is better then iMac (Early 2009) for well less money (considering prices at the time) and not far off Mac Pro (Early 2008) - which would be way more expensive.

Power consumption (not most efficient):

Light use (browser text), jumps up to 75W

Running Geekbench jumps up to 109 W

Sleep 6 W

sebus

Hello again.

So, after a little while away from this project I am back.  I have made progress in as much as i have manage to install Yosemite on to the Dell machine and have it vaguely setup.

I have however hit a snag.

At section 8 I am confused as to which computer I should be using.

For instance I states that I am to download the Clover 780 folder again, however I am not connected (and cannot connect) on the dell PC but then in point 9 i have to move folders to a place on my hard drive on the dell machine.

A little help as to which computer I should now be using for this section would help.  Also, should i have the Clover boot loader loaded onto my USB stick as i don't see how i would get it onto the dell machine along with the Clover 780 files.

Thanks again.

Makin

Honestly, if you do install Mac OS on hardware that is not mean for it, then you should have some idea what you are doing. Not that complicated. Forget following steps blindly & try to think for yourself.

USB is not only install medium, it can also hold any files that you need to transfer between here & there... (you you can have Clover installer pkg on USB)

Also forget copying all the files from Clover folder.

You only need:

CLOVER_780.zip\CLOVER\ACPI\patched\DSDT.aml
CLOVER_780.zip\CLOVER\kexts\10.10\ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext
CLOVER_780.zip\CLOVER\kexts\10.10\FakeSMC.kext
CLOVER_780.zip\CLOVER\kexts\10.10\NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
CLOVER_780.zip\CLOVER\config.plist

Ethernet & VoodooHDA kext you can deal with AFTER the setup

sebus