[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

I have give it a try on my 780 but have some problems the files i have used for my 790 doesnt work.

I have installed yosemite on the hd but after installing clover and booting from hd i experience some problems with login maybe it had to do with a kext i have used.

I will go further tonight and keep you in touch.

Oke i have it running now Yosemite on a Optiplex 780. The tutorial will come later for who wanna install it now here are some links and files.

For the tutorial to make a USB drive and install clover read this http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6935-guide-e6420-os-x-yosemite-10100-finalgm-3pb-4/

Also i have put my clover directory, copy the folder to the EFI wich are mention in the tutorial and merge the files.

Don't use the files from the tutorial in place of that use my files.

Also the optiplex must be connected to the internet but choose after first boot this computer is not connected to the internet.

This is a quick guide for now i will be working for a tutorial as soon as possible.

CLOVER.zip

• Like 1

Oke i have it running now Yosemite on a Optiplex 780. The tutorial will come later for who wanna install it now here are some links and files.

For the tutorial to make a USB drive and install clover read this http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6935-guide-e6420-os-x-yosemite-10100-finalgm-3pb-4/

Also i have put my clover directory, copy the folder to the EFI wich are mention in the tutorial and merge the files.

Don't use the files from the tutorial in place of that use my files.

Also the optiplex must be connected to the internet but choose after first boot this computer is not connected to the internet.

This is a quick guide for now i will be working for a tutorial as soon as possible.

Any news? Did u finish the Guide?

Please be patience, i have finished the tutorial but i must test it if everything works what i discribe and if the files are correct. Maybe saturday or sunday will be the day that the tutorial is online.

• Like 1

pepto thanks!

I've just buyed  Optiplex 780 Quad Core 4x 2.66GHz model Q9400

Can't wait to install my first MacOS ever. ;) So it would be great to take Yosemite directly as first shoot. 

Question: 

Requirements: An PCI Express Video Card

Can't I just use integrated graphic?

For those who can't wait for the final tutorial, here's how I upgraded my Optiplex 760 (clean install) :

• Used USB Installer OS X Yosemite Chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2437/

• Replaced Extra/Extensions by the ones I had in my own Extra/Extensions folder

• Edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist boot flags to just -f -v kext-dev-mode=1

• Reboot, installed.

• Reboot on the USB and selected Yosemite partition with boot flag /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -f -v kext-dev-mode=1

• Installed Chameleon on the new Yosemite partition & FakeSMC in S/L/E.

• Repaired permissions & Rebuilded Kernel Cache with sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Done.

I use a AMD Radeon HD 5450 with DSDT injection so you may have to do some kexts edits for your setup.

• Like 1

Hello, I write this time for my first time ever from fresh Mavericks install. This is my first touch with OSX.

But yea, I have problem with this graphica (Radeon 2400). It works.  But only on low resolution and it is laggy.

To start I was pushed to use Niresh for as a starte. Because pepto demand some working OS X install anyway. I started just with Windows. So now I have at least any "working" OS X. Just don't know if I can fix those issues with laggy graphics. I saw that many others also have those problems and can fix it. I'm just n00b. So if you tell me there is really no hope I will buy another card. This one I've just  buyed today as an special addon to this Optiplex 780 (Intel Quadro). 

I see.. GeForce G210 is almost half cheaper than 610. Both are cheap. It's good to have newer one to  support in Yosemite successor for example.  But one thing I want from graphic card beyond flawless performance is SILENT. Optiplex itself is quite silent. But my current Radeon is NOT. :) I install on Windows special program to slow down Fan. Heat is bigger but silence is better. On hackintosh I don't know if there are Fan controll tools. Or just intelligent drivers to slow down to minimum Fan when GPU are idle.

For those who can't wait for the final tutorial, here's how I upgraded my Optiplex 760 (clean install) :

• Used USB Installer OS X Yosemite Chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2437/

• Replaced Extra/Extensions by the ones I had in my own Extra/Extensions folder

• Edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist boot flags to just -f -v kext-dev-mode=1

• Reboot, installed.

• Reboot on the USB and selected Yosemite partition with boot flag /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -f -v kext-dev-mode=1

• Installed Chameleon on the new Yosemite partition & FakeSMC in S/L/E.

• Repaired permissions & Rebuilded Kernel Cache with sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Done.

I use a AMD Radeon HD 5450 with DSDT injection so you may have to do some kexts edits for your setup.

Thanks! Got it installed. :)

Is there any working solution for iMessage other than Clover?

Asus Radeon HD5450 1GB DDR3 64bit PCI-E (EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3 LP) This is version without fans.

Are you guys using version with Fans or just plain Radiator?

I am using Fanless from Sapphire like describe in my tutorial but you can use any 5450 but be aware of your vendor and device ID system profiler 

@pepto "vendor and device ID system profiler"

What do you mean by that? If I just choose right model as you suggest there are some other tricks I should be aware of?

No not other tricks but what i describe in my tutorial you can use i have also a 5450 from dell and he had a different vendor ID not the one i describe in my tutorial. So always check in system profiler thats all.

The tutorial for Yosemite will take longer, i have tested also with Chameleon but i will switch to clover because its now more stable. And i am also sick this week the flu caught me.

And i also celebrate the 100.000 views this weekend amazing :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I managed to install Yosemite on my Optiplex 780. Everything is working perfectly, but one thing!

The youtube doesn't work! The playing never start. I tried on different browsers. But other online players work just fine.

Have anybody got this problem too?

I have standard Optiplex 780 with Radeon 5450 2GB, graphics works fully.

Yosemite installed using Chameleon, using kexts from pepto clover package.

Come on, man !  This is totally unrelated to Yosemite as it's a plug-in, in a web-browser, on One website, and maybe with One video ! If the problems occurs with other browsers and there is no problem with others webplayers, it's pretty obvious that the faulty is Flash ! Did you installed the latest version ? Are you sure the page is still maintained ?

Come on, man !  This is totally unrelated to Yosemite as it's a plug-in, in a web-browser, on One website, and maybe with One video ! If the problems occurs with other browsers and there is no problem with others webplayers, it's pretty obvious that the faulty is Flash ! Did you installed the latest version ? Are you sure the page is still maintained ?

If I wasn't sure it's kext/system related I wouldn't post it :-)

Yes, the latest flash. The latest browsers - Safari, Firefox, Chrome (Chrome even uses its own version of flash). And - HTML5 player in youtube doesn't work either… I don't know what's going on.

I searched the web for it and some users of different PCs have similar problem in OSX. Still - I haven't found a solution. For some it was graphics kext. For others it was chameleon settings. But nothing worked for me.

Everything worked in Mavericks.

If nobody had this issue, maybe I'll try to reinstall it once again...

Ok, sorry for that :P

I don't have any problems with similar setups (Opitplex 760 - Radeon HD 5450 1 GB) and some others not Dell branded but with Radeon HD 5450 (Sapphire, MSI, VTX).

Are you using edited kexts or DSDT to enable QE/CI ?

For graphics - I used kexts from Pepto package (Clover - I took just kexts). I have 5450 2GB with ID 68F91002. And graphics is running fine in native res with QE/CI!

I have also DSDT from this thread, but I don't think there's any graphics injection/enabler in it...

I made live-CD with Ubuntu to check if there's any internet problem with youtube and my computer - and it isn't, everything is working fine there...

I'm trying couple things out, I will post if I will find the solution. I'll check other kexts maybe..

I didn't understand one thing :

Are you using Clover or Chameleon ? If you are using Chameleon, I assume that you have edited AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext to enable QE/CI ? Or maybe you've just copy those in the Pepto's package (I don't know if they are in there) ? Right ?

I didn't understand one thing :

Are you using Clover or Chameleon ? If you are using Chameleon, I assume that you have edited AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext to enable QE/CI ? Or maybe you've just copy those in the Pepto's package (I don't know if they are in there) ? Right ?

- I'm using Chameleon

- The kexts you mentioned I took from Pepto's Clover package - I copied it

I probably should've edited these files myself… I'll try to edit the original files myself and let's see what happens.

Ok, there are great chances that those kexts are depreciated and do not match with the latest Yosemite'ones. This could explain that you are experiencing issues with graphics.

So copy the originals ones from your USB install disk or from any backup you hopefully made before installing the Pepto's ones to your desktop and follow the steps from post #1 :

13. Installing Video for QE/CI Manually

• Copy the Kext files AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext from system/library/extension to your desktop.
  • Go to AMD5000Controller.kext and rightclick and choose Show Package Contents and open info.plist with textedit.
  • Find <key>IOPCIMatch</key> and add your string for HD5450
    ( HD5450 1GB the string is 0x68F91002 and for 512MB the string is 0x68E11002)
    <string>0x68F91002 0x68981002 0x68991002 0x68E01002 0x68E11002 0x68D81002 0x68C01002 0x68C11002 0x68D91002 0x68B81002 0x68B01002 0x68B11002 0x68A01002 0x68A11002 </string>
  • Save and Exit
  • Go to AMDRadeonX3000.kext and rightclick and choose Show Package Contents and open info.plist with textedit.
  • Find <key>AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator</key>
    and then look for the first <key>IOPCIMatch</key> and add your string for HD5450
    ( HD5450 1GB the string is 0x68F91002 and for 512MB the string is 0x68E11002)
    add <string>0x68F91002 0x68E01002</string>
  • Save and Exit
  • Install both kext files with Kext Utility
  • Now reboot.
  • After Reboot the video card must be working with QE/CI.

You're done with the latest AMD kexts for Yosemite. You'll have to redo these steps for every OS X System Updates. you should be OK with that ! :P