Vaio users black screen after boot

tchospy

223 posts in this topic

Well your last DSDT turns the internal screen off while VGA/HDMI is still working. Don't know why but VGA works fine for me (but actually, I don't care, I want internal ! :hysterical:)

I took a look at IOReg and in every case, it's NGFX@0 under PEG3@3 that is the main device. In VGA/HDMI, the NVDA Display-A@0 is on AppleBacklightDisplay (internal) with the specified EDID in DSDT (EDI3), the AppleDisplay (the TV that's actually serve as a monitor for both connectors) is under NVDA Display-B@1.

That's the results with your first DSDT.

With the second one, the AppleBacklightDisplay under NVDA Display-A@0 just disappear. Therefore, the screen is turned off.

See IORegs attached for details.

My system is close to vanilla, I just use 4 kexts : FakeSMC, RealtekALC, GenericUSBXHCI (which doesn't work :P) and VoodooPS2Controller. All 4 in Clover's EFI.

I just have 2 more kexts for battery which consist of patched AppleSmartBatteryManager and AppleACPIPlatform in S/L/E. I don't think they have any influence on display recognition :D.

Nothing else. Even AppleHDA is original since I use a Clover patch and a HDEF DSDT patch for proper layout-id.

On a side note, I have to mention that I had some trouble getting the EDID from both Linux & Windows. I only had some "looking good" results by using Monitor Asset Manager 2.9.

Comparing the hex with the ones found in the dumped DSDT from Clover made me think that they were correct as they are the same.

Anyway, I tried them all :hysterical: !

PS : thanks for your help ;) !

IORegs.zip

Well I think this is a dead-end :(.

Since the EDID is correctly seen in IORegistry Explorer, Nividia's kext are loaded and full QE/CI is enabled on both HDMI/VGA displays, my guess is the problem occurs when the Nvidia Framebuffer who managed LVDS display starts.

Booting with nv_disable=1 give me a display on internal display, so the DSDT EDID injection is actually correctly doing his job. I tried to inject FakeID with Clover (0x0a7510DE like in the example device art.sormy mentioned above) with no success.

I'll try some others but I'm about to give up since the problem seems very specific to GT425m Series. I've seen a lot of people complaining about Black screen issue on Linux forums when using this model. It's probably not being fixable anytime soon :(.

polyzargone, I think you need to try to disable VGA in DSDT and try PEG3 EDID injection. OS X drivers never works with VGA, HDMI and internal screen in the same time. In my situation i have HDMI and internal screen working and VGA didn't work. Try to disable VGA and may be internal screen will start work.

I read a long time ago that Sony put some kind of specific multiplexer on VGA/Internal Screen output and it causes problems on linux when only one internal screen or VGA is working.

Hey guys,

I have a VAIO F11 gt330m 1gb and a 1920x1080 screen...

I tried your EDID injection in DSDT (in my case it's EDID4).   I also now use the DSDT and config.plist from art.sormy since it seems to be the same, but maybe more clear than my old one...

My results are so far:

- Under 10.6.8, the nvidia driver enables, then I can see the login screen in 1920x1080 for a short time, Then the screen will go black. Now I have to non-stop push the "display off" button, for every second push, I will see the screen again for a short amount of time.

Any ideas why the screen will still be powered off (but correctly detected)?

- Under 10.9.4 the driver is loaded but when the login screen should appear, the computer restarts!  I have no idea why this is the case.

Any ideas here?  Should I use the OSX 10.9.4 stock nvidia drivers or the tesla nvidia web driver?

Thanks for help!

EDIT: Works now, for both, 10.6.8 and 10.9.4!!!  Had to use the right DSDT. Thanks for the proper EDID overwrite mechanism!

Infos how to enable the internal screen including Quartz on a Vaio F11, gt330m, 1920x1080 are written here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/218556-sony-vaio-vpcf115fm-discussion-dsdt-injection/?p=2152883

• 5 weeks later...

Hello!

Has anyone managed to enable brightness control on any VAIO that suffered with the now solved black screen issue? My VPCF12M0E/B has the OSX's brightness slide control (System Preferences->Displays) enabled but it doesn't work properly. It is always on max brightness and if I move the slide to the left, the brightness is reduced only slightly then the display is turned off (I can turn the display on again by using the dedicated key on the VAIO's keyboard). I've tried a few things like Rehabman's ACPIBrightness.kext (unsuitable for NVIDIA cards) and GenericBrightness.kext to no avail.

Cheers,

Alexei

Hello!

Has anyone managed to enable brightness control on any VAIO that suffered with the now solved black screen issue? My VPCF12M0E/B has the OSX's brightness slide control (System Preferences->Displays) enabled but it doesn't work properly. It is always on max brightness and if I move the slide to the left, the brightness is reduced only slightly then the display is turned off (I can turn the display on again by using the dedicated key on the VAIO's keyboard). I've tried a few things like Rehabman's ACPIBrightness.kext (unsuitable for NVIDIA cards) and GenericBrightness.kext to no avail.

Cheers,

Alexei

use shades (Shades Preferences.prefPane) does a good job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to jump in on this thread but it seems my Samsung All-in-One desktop has exactly the same problem and i can't seem to get anywhere with it. I can boot fine with it and as soon as verbose boot has finished the screen goes black. If i connect and external monitor the correct resolution displays on it, and if i connect with screen sharing i can see it and IOREG Explorer shows it but no Display 0 or Apple Display. 

If i use nv_disable=1 it boots fine all the way to the desktop but IOReg shows it using a display override profile, I've tried as suggested elsewhere to edit the override file with my info but to no avail.

OSX doesn't seem to read my EDID with any app that i use so i've extracted it using windows.

The specs are 

Samsung DP_U200

Intel 2.2GHz Pentium T4400,

4GB RAM,

20in 1600x900 display 

1 x DVI Output

Nvidia Geforce 310m Graphics.

I'm guessing that as i've tried everything i can find that its going to have to be DSDT edits to possibly come close to a solution. My knowledge isn't great with DSDT edits(so far i've only applied pre made fixes for my other laptops). I'm confused where i need to edit the file because IOReg shows the graphics accessing P0P2 and not GFX0 or IGPU.

The only thing with the device P0P2 section is that its only a few lines and using address 0x00010000. There is also a device GFX0 and NVID. 

So my question is can anybody help me edit my DSDT or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Use MacBookPro6,2 SMBios

Reply with IOReg

Hi thanks for your quick response. The DSDT you supplied worked with my Yosemite install with the MBP6,2 as suggested. Only a couple of small problems. 

1, The screen is quite dark and using the slider bar there is only a small amount of variation between being completely off and bright. Is there a fix for this?

2, More of a cosmetic issue although probably solved by changing the smbios to iMac 8,1 the same as my maverick install which also works with your DSDT.

I've enclosed screen shots of both displays. I originally used the imac 8,1 smbios due to the fact its for a penryn processor and nvidia graphics(although not the same graphics card).

Also ioreg copies of both systems.

Am well please and can't thank you enough for this edit.

Now i just got to get the sound working which shouldn't be to hard, currently its voodoo on my maverick install but i prefer to do it properly and sort out the correct way for ALC269. 

Then one day attempt to work out the touchscreen side of things. if anybody knows a way to get touchscreen fully working then that would be great.

Once again thank you ever so much for your assistance.

screen.tiff

Maverick_screen.tiff

Archive.zip

• 1 month later...

After using DSDT above, the screen goes black, then it automatic reboot. Is there any config with clover I have to change for DSDT above? Thanks

Update:

I got it work by select Inject Ndivia in clover

HDMI: Work

LVDS: Work

VGA: My P2715Q doesn't support it, so I have no idea

@jl4c: Thank you a lot

p/s: any idea why it load very slow after "DMOS has arrived", I remember when I install mavericks, it load very fast.