can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

that's my screenshot :P, i'm still in that situation.

Well, I still don't have my second stage boot logo. Just the logo. It doesn't look like your screenshot (second stage boot screen and login screen on the same screen), I got it full screen, black, loading bar.... The only thing missing here, is the apple logo. That's all. With that, everything would be perfect. Got a GTX650, in case that makes any difference.

On my Latitude E6400 both stages progress bar and logo looks ok, on my self-made desktop with AMD HD7770 only 1st stage is ok

Any significant difference in Clover config between the two? Any other difference (besides the obvious hardware ones)?

Any significant difference in Clover config between the two? Any other difference (besides the obvious hardware ones)?

I use clover 2747, since DP4, public beta 1st boot stage looks ok

The apple logo and the full loaded progress bar appears for an half a second before desktop, the same with chameleon

I use clover 2747, since DP4, public beta 1st boot stage looks ok

The apple logo and the full loaded progress bar appears for an half a second before desktop, the same with chameleon

Are we talking about the desktop or the laptop?

I'm confused...

1. you use the same Clover 2747 in both cases (laptop and desktop)?

2. do you use Beta 1 in both cases (laptop and desktop)?

You said, on the laptop, everything looks ok (both stages). Which Yosemite version was/is that? Were you using <key>UseAlternateLogo</key> set to <true/> in Clover, for both cases? Is there any relevant difference between the Clover's config.plist files (the one on the laptop and the one on the desktop)? Can you try with Clover 2774? For that, you will need to remove the key above (if you used it) and replace it with this:

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

I'm confused...

You said, on the laptop, everything looks ok (both stages). Which Yosemite version was/is that? Were you using <key>UseAlternateLogo</key> set to <true/> in Clover, for both cases? Is there any relevant difference between the Clover's config.plist files (the one on the laptop and the one on the desktop)? Can you try with Clover 2774? For that, you will need to remove the key above (if you used it) and replace it with this:

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

We are talking about the desktop with HD7770 gfx

The laptop looks ok both stages, since dp4 (dp1-3 only progress bar no apple logo on 1st stage)

1. Yes clover 2747 with no CustomLogo entries

2. Laptop DP4, Desktop public beta

Laptop with clover 2774 CustomLogo false, like before both stages looks ok

Desktop with clover 2774 CustomLogo false, like before 1st stage ok, on second stage black screen with mouse pointer no logo no progress bar

then i can see a withe apple logo and full loaded progress bar on desktop for an half a second 

I'm confused...

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

We are talking about the desktop with HD7770 gfx

The laptop looks ok both stages, since dp4 (dp1-3 only progress bar no apple logo on 1st stage)

1. Yes clover 2747 with no CustomLogo entries

2. Laptop DP4, Desktop public beta

Laptop with clover 2774 CustomLogo false, like before both stages looks ok

Desktop with clover 2774 CustomLogo false, like before 1st stage ok, on second stage black screen with mouse pointer no logo no progress bar

then i can see a withe apple logo and full loaded progress bar on desktop for an half a second 

Ok, so 2774 or 2747 doesn't really matter, as long as you add the key for the custom logo.

For older versions (like 2747), the key is

<key>UseAlternateLogo</key>
<true/>

For newer versions (like 2774), the key is:

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

But even so, the laptop is still ok, and the desktop is still not.

Any other differences in the config.plist files?

So far it seems like the only differences are the actual hardware differences (Intel 4500MHD vs AMD HD7770).

Did you use "inject Intel" in Clover config file for both? That's the default setting.

Can you upload your config.plist files (from the laptop and the desktop)?

Ok, so 2774 or 2747 doesn't really matter, as long as you add the key for the custom logo.

For older versions (like 2747), the key is

<key>UseAlternateLogo</key>
<true/>

For newer versions (like 2774), the key is:

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

But even so, the laptop is still ok, and the desktop is still not.

Any other differences in the config.plist files?

So far it seems like the only differences are the actual hardware differences (Intel 4500MHD vs AMD HD7770).

Did you use "inject Intel" in Clover config file for both? That's the default setting.

Can you upload your config.plist files (from the laptop and the desktop)?

No graphics injections, the Laptop had an nvidia NVS160M

For now on both clover 2774

config.zip

No graphics injections, the Laptop had an nvidia NVS160M

For now on both clover 2774

ok, I can't take a closer look at this. I'm not on my Mac right now. But, from what I could see, on a first glance:

both configs should have the same:

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>

not

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>false</string>

and not

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>None</string>

Also, you're missing kext-dev-mode=1 on your Desktop config (not sure if that will make any difference for this case, but anyway, it would be nice to have both configs as similar as possible to minimize the number of variables to take into account when drawing the conclusion).

Also, can you try to set the graphics injection to default? Meaning "Inject Intel". Let's see if that makes any difference.

Also, your screen resolution is manually set to 1440x900 on the laptop but not set for the desktop.

I'm not sure you need that. But you could try to set the native resolution manually for the desktop as well and see if that makes any difference.

Also, do you still have it working fine if booting with the default Clover config? Just with kext-dev-mode=1 and CustomLogo set to No?

how to check? 

ioreg -k IOFBNeedsRefresh | grep IOFBNeedsRefresh

If all frame buffers show "Yes" then IOGraphicsFamily.kext will refresh the screen data, which means wiping the previously drawn Apple logo. The result of "AAPL,boot-display" not being set. Which is not what you want. I mean why draw a logo for a second time, it that logo is already there ;)

This also means that setting "Boot Logo" and/or "Background Color" will work for the third stage boot logo, but only if one of the frame buffers meet the above condition(s). You can also set EFI.MemoryMap.BootClut to be used as second/third stage background colour. All ancient stuff, which should have been known by everyone here already.

Note: With kernel cache being used the progress bar won't go that far (25%?) but it will finish up to 100% in the third stage process.

• Like 2

great explanation!

i've got 4 "yes" values...

honestly, i think i didn't understood how to properly patch the dsdt to set the "AAPL,boot-display"

i'll be really glad if you can explain it better :D

Thanks!!

I don't get it. The logo is present in the screenshot, but not on you screen?

Press and hold down the shift key

great explanation!

i've got 4 "yes" values...

honestly, i think i didn't understood how to properly patch the dsdt to set the "AAPL,boot-display"

i'll be really glad if you can explain it better :D

Thanks!!

add this code to your gfx _dsm section

"@0,AAPL,boot-display", 

Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

ioreg -k IOFBNeedsRefresh | grep IOFBNeedsRefresh

If all frame buffers show "Yes" then IOGraphicsFamily.kext will refresh the screen data, which means wiping the previously drawn Apple logo. The result of "AAPL,boot-display" not being set. Which is not what you want. I mean why draw a logo for a second time, it that logo is already there ;)

Hi Pike,

I still do not get it. I have AAPL,boot-display=1 on the first frame buffer (or whatever it is) and IOFBNeedsRefresh=false on it's child node. Other 2 do not have AAPL,boot-display and have IOFBNeedsRefresh=true. This is correct, right? But still have screen refresh.

Hi Pike,

I still do not get it. I have AAPL,boot-display=1 on the first frame buffer (or whatever it is) and IOFBNeedsRefresh=false on it's child node. Other 2 do not have AAPL,boot-display and have IOFBNeedsRefresh=true. This is correct, right? But still have screen refresh.

Are you testing this with the IGPU or a discrete graphics card?