can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Didn't read the entire topic, but somebody tried this out on Clover ?

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot#CustomLogo

Should theoretically work.

It works. I use "false' = it will be a black background + apple + progress bar.

I use timeout 0. First I go Asus logo, and then immediately loaded Mac.

I would like to know how to remove the motherboard Asus logo to appear immediately logo Apple.

@arsradu,

To get native DSDT, press F4 at the Clover boot menu ---> will get saved in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin

Edit

Yes, I have the boot logo in both stages on my legacy BIOS machines booting CloverEFI :).

I hate you so much! :)) How did you get it?

Come one, guys. Someone. Share your knowledge. This is what forums are for. :) Can't be that hard. What does it rely on? What do we need to change in Clover to have that? Is it just Clover related? Is it GPu related? In my case, the GPU is officially supported so...in theory, there should be no problem. And yet...it doesn't work. Which means that I'm most likely missing something that needs to be set up in Clover. But what is that?

Hey man, I thought we were friends :D.

Actually I haven't set anything special...both my laptop and desktop are currently on Clover r2795 and running Yosemite DP6.  My configs are in the Clover config thread.

For my desktop GAP55aUD3/Intel i5-750/ATI5770, I set patch VBIOS to true as below ....

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Vervet</string>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>PatchVBios</key>
		<true/>
		<key>VideoPorts</key>
		<integer>4</integer>

so that I get native resolution during boot.

I think I'll leave you in @Mirone's very capable hands as he until recently didn't have a logo at all and managed to fix it (by flashing his motherboard BIOS and some other DSDT tricks IIRC) :).

• Like 1

It works. I use "false' = it will be a black background + apple + progress bar.

I use timeout 0. First I go Asus logo, and then immediately loaded Mac.

I would like to know how to remove the motherboard Asus logo to appear immediately logo Apple.

Your bios might have a setting to disable boot logo, if not it can be removed or replaced in firmware.

• Like 1

Hey man, I thought we were friends :D.

Actually I haven't set anything special...both my laptop and desktop are currently on Clover r2795 and running Yosemite DP6.  My configs are in the Clover config thread.

For my desktop GAP55aUD3/Intel i5-750/ATI5770, I set patch VBIOS to true as below ....

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Vervet</string>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>PatchVBios</key>
		<true/>
		<key>VideoPorts</key>
		<integer>4</integer>
so that I get native resolution during boot.

I think I'll leave you in @Mirone's very capable hands as he until recently didn't have a logo at all and managed to fix it (by flashing his motherboard BIOS and some other DSDT tricks IIRC) :).

And since we're friends, you know I was joking. :P

So let's get to it. I didn't patch VBIOS... If I do that, I get into problems like restarts after about 1 minute from a complete boot up. I have no idea why. Also, I let the injection to default (which is Intel), even though my card is MSI Nvidia GTX 650. But I already have native resolution during boot so that's not a problem for me.

Also, I know this is not the place for this discussion, but I've got reboots instead of shutdowns every time I try to shut down my computer. It applies only to Yosemite. Mavericks shuts down just fine. But every time I shut down Yosemite, I need to do it manually (from the power button) or put the computer to Sleep instead. It drives me crazy! I don't even know where does this come from.

Flashing the BIOS again....I don't know man, I wish there was a way to do this without reflashing the BIOS... If there isn't, I think I'm gonna skip this feature until someone finds another way. But we'll see...

This is one of the solutions to put in your config.plist:

attachicon.gifplist.png

Thank you very much for sharing.

So this is basically patching the IOGraphicsFamily kext with two values, for each booting stage. The second stage boot patching is also in other 2 stages? :))

Your bios might have a setting to disable boot logo, if not it can be removed or replaced in firmware.

Yes. But if I disable the boot logo in the BIOS, then when i start PC first appears old logo BIOS American Megatrends and some info about PC, instead of the default logo with white lettering on a black screen Asus.

• Like 1

So this is basically patching the IOGraphicsFamily kext with two values, for each booting stage. The second stage boot patching is also in other 2 stages? :))

This patch was posted earlier in the thread....http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/?p=2041174   ...and it works for me where others did not. Both patches actually relate to code from the 2nd stage of boot I believe as it is at that point where the IOGraphicsfamily.kext actually kicks in.

• Like 1

This patch was posted earlier in the thread....http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/?p=2041174   ...and it works for me where others did not. Both patches actually relate to code from the 2nd stage of boot I believe as it is at that point where the IOGraphicsfamily.kext actually kicks in.

Thanks, man. I'll try that too and report back. :)

Update:

Well, that successfully made the system unbootable. :)) The first part loads fine, but when it should load the second stage boot...total mist. Nothing happens. So I guess that's not quite the way to go for me. :)

It works. I use "false' = it will be a black background + apple + progress bar.

I use timeout 0. First I go Asus logo, and then immediately loaded Mac.

does the Asus logo appear after choosing your drive in Clover? If so you need to drop bgrt. Otherwise the boot logo is pretty easy to change, there's a few different utilities out there. I replaced mine on my Z68 board with a blank black screen.

Thanks, man. I'll try that too and report back. :)

Update:

Well, that successfully made the system unbootable. :)) The first part loads fine, but when it should load the second stage boot...total mist. Nothing happens. So I guess that's not quite the way to go for me. :)

Darn....there is such a variety of pitfalls as well as 'solutions' at the moment. It'll be nice when (if) a proper universal solution can be found. I guess what works for me is not what works for you....

Darn....there is such a variety of pitfalls as well as 'solutions' at the moment. It'll be nice when (if) a proper universal solution can be found. I guess what works for me is not what works for you....

Not really, no, unfortunately... This question has always been hard for me to answer regarding issues like this: if my video card is officially supported (or so they say), so it's supposed to work out of the box (and it pretty much does, most of the times), why am I having this kind of troubles with simple things like these? Is this a Clover issue? Is it the OS itself? Is it a bug somewhere in the OS? Too many questions, I know. And unfortunately not that many answers.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. :)