can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Seems that information regarding which boot screen to display in first stage is queried by boot.efi by this protocol:

->LocateProtocol(D5B0AC65-9A2D-4D2A-BBD6-E871A95E0435, 0, 0/0) = Not Found

It is not found on hacks, so we end up with no boot screen, and only progress bar.

Blocking this protocol on a real Mac resulted in exactly the same case like hacks: no boot screen, progress bar only.

Does anyone have any information about this protocol?

• Like 5

Hi Pene,

How can you find that boot.efi check this protocol? How can you block it? I tried to disassemble boot.efi but it hard to understand what instruction query this protocol.

Thanks

@Derek12

Still have no idea why nothing was drawn on your screen except white meter on gray bg. I don't know how verbose boot draw boot screen since my patch can't change color of verbose boot. I will try to patch something again soon.

• Like 1

Hi Pene,

How can you find that boot.efi check this protocol? How can you block it? I tried to disassemble boot.efi but it hard to understand what instruction query this protocol.

Thanks

Using DumpUefiCalls driver (available at Clover repository), which is able to log in runtime, among others, all LocateProtocol calls.

Blocking it also via the DumpUefiCalls driver, by returning EFI_NOT_FOUND inside our LocateProtocol override, when queried for the given specific GUID. 

But blocking it will not help you with anything, it was just as a means to verify my assumption that this is indeed the relevant protocol. And the fact that blocking it causes a real Mac to behave in this regard just like a hack - means that it is.

• Like 2

Nope I've currently Mac Pro 5,1 and Tried iMac 14,2 and MacBook Pro and Air with same results,

Probabily as Iisai said Clover needs a update :)

you need to add this to your config.plist

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomLogo</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>

and you get a black background with white apple logo for a first and second boot stage and that without clover.

Edit:for a gray boot logo you need to add this to config.plist for a first boot stage and use the gray patched kext from 'Boss Kitties for a second boot stage.

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomLogo</key>
		<string>Apple</string>
	</dict>
  • Like 1

Amazing !!! with the latest Clover  r2774  on OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 

With this 

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Alternate</string>

the shiny white  Apple  boot  logo  :thumbsup_anim:  :lol:  

you need to add this to your config.plist

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomLogo</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>

and you get a black background with white apple logo for a first and second boot stage and that without clover.

Edit:for a gray boot logo you need to add this to config.plist for a first boot stage and use the gray patched kext from 'Boss Kitties for a second boot stage.

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomLogo</key>
		<string>Apple</string>
	</dict>

Many thanks, adding that to config.plist now I get the proper black screen with white Apple and progress bar but I had issues with Boss Kittles's kext but I will try again :)

In any case my Apple logo is stretched (I think the res is stuck at 1024x768) but this

<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>1366x768</string>

does nothing here, why is that?

Many thanks, adding that to config.plist now I get the proper black screen with white Apple and progress bar but I had issues with Boss Kittles's kext but I will try again :)

In any case my Apple logo is stretched (I think the res is stuck at 1024x768) but this

<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>1366x768</string>

does nothing here, why is that?

Sounds like your vbios doesn't have that vesa resolution available, are you using the csmvideo driver for clover? If you are and it's not working you probably need to patch the rom manually and load it from clover.

Sounds like your vbios doesn't have that vesa resolution available, are you using the csmvideo driver for clover? If you are and it's not working you probably need to patch the rom manually and load it from clover.

I have installed it but still no difference :(

The res was fine in Chameleon.

EDIT:

I read I have to enable Patch Vbios, now the monitor is in 1366x768 mode BUT Clover and boot logo are severely distorted, vertically stretched and Mac desktop won't appear (black screen). I had to disable it again

post-767483-0-28568000-1406028978_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, I don't know what is the second boot stage but here's a video booting with -v

(sorry for shaky camera and slow boot (slow and old laptop HD) )

http://youtu.be/sts7G2Q9qGA

Can u please try to add this patch and tell me if the second stage boot change from grey to black?

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage Patch2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				Qb+/v78=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				Qb8AAAA=
				</data>
			</dict>

I have installed it but still no difference :(

The res was fine in Chameleon.  /snip

I had a similar problem with a laptop and this is what I did ...

Use Chameleon to determine if your monitor Vesa resolution list includes 1366x768. (Step 1 from this link http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/06/how-to-set-your-hackintosh-bootscreen.html is how to do that if you already don't know what I mean)

What I found out was that although the highest resolution for my laptop card is 1366x768 AFTER boot, the highest Vesa res was only 1280x720 ...

So I set <key>ScreenResolution</key> to <string>1280x720</string> in config.plist and everything looks okay now without any stretching visible.

I did not even have to patch the vbios. Just an idea to try.

damn apple logo is still not her, not for me 
I see only a black screen without the apple logo and progress bar without 
to the login screen. 
someone with the same problem?

with this ?

<key>CustomLogo</key>

<true/>