Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

The RealtekR1000SL kext that I modified doesn't support 8101E yet. I would like to add it, but I haven't had the time to implement it, and I don't have one to test with. I will see what I can do.

Or, if someone has the time and the chip, grab the Realtek Linux driver sources for this chip and implement it for me... please?

sorry, I cant see the post #602 and #668.

What do you say with "cleanup" before installation and "cleanup" after the old preferences?

Pleese tell me step to step how can I install the RTGMac_v2.0.3

More thanks for the help

sorry, I cant see the post #602 and #668.

What do you say with "cleanup" before installation and "cleanup" after the old preferences?

Pleese tell me step to step how can I install the RTGMac_v2.0.3

More thanks for the help

Come On !

Page 30 and 34 in this thread!

Clean up is delete the preferences of your old net work explained in post 668 in this thread

and install with the pkg RTGMac_v2.0.3 explained in post 602 in this thread

then reboot !

In response to a PM I received, here are the sources to my RealtekR1000SL driver as posted above. If you have any improvements to make, please email me so I can merge them with my copy. Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Is there some place to download the latest compiled release somewhere? I take it that you have made some changes since Oct 20th?

I Delete in Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration

-com.apple.network.identification.plist

-NetworkInterfaces.plist

-preferences.plist

Clear Caches with Onyx !

Reboot

After, I install the RTGMAac_v2.0.3.

Reboot

And the problem persist. I see the mac address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF on network utilities and I cant doing ping to my router.

thnks

Thanks so much for sharing!

Is there some place to download the latest compiled release somewhere? I take it that you have made some changes since Oct 20th?

I have been too busy to update it since the last binary release. Those sources should correspond exactly to the last kext.

I do plan to keep working on it when I find time.

This is the first third party driver for RTC8111D that allows Bonjour to work (although I don't see PROMISC in ifcong), great work!

Would it be possible to show speed and duplex in autoselect?

Thanks.

I'm using manual IPs with autoselect speed and duplex, connected on en0 to a 100/full switch, and sharing my connection to a laptop on en1.

There are no network interface modifications in my DSDT.

Realtek's v2.0.3 AppleRTL8169Ethernet (L only):

media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active

Psystar's v2.0.9 RealTekR1000.kext (Bonjour doesn't work, shows built-in=true in IORegistryExplorer):

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: active

Bit Shoveler's v2.0.0d1 RealtekR1000SL.kext (Bonjour works, shows built-in=false in IORegistryExplorer):

en0 autoselect (no speed or duplex shown);

media: autoselect status: active

en0 manually set to 100/full (shouldn't show unknown type, and won't go active);

media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> (<unknown type>) status: inactive

Dood what steps did you take to get this to work? I'm a noob and have been searching for weeks and tried lots of suggestions but nothing has worked.

Right now I have internet access through wifi but that tends to crash at times and I would like bonjour for my iphone, and printing services.

And for some strange reason I get a kernel panic when I put my hackintosh to sleep which never happened.

I am assuming it has something to do with the ionetworkfamily kext but I do not know how to fix it.

Dood what steps did you take to get this to work? I'm a noob and have been searching for weeks and tried lots of suggestions but nothing has worked.
Either of the following works for me.

A. Copy RealtekR1000SL.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/;

RealtekR1000SL.kext

In Terminal do the following;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# cp -r ~/Downloads/mac05/Bit\ Shoveler/RealtekR1000SL.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

[mac05:~] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

[mac05:~] root#

or

B. Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy RealtekR1000SL.kext into ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/RealtekR1000SL.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

In Terminal run kextcache and copy the new Extensions.mkext to your bootloader's Extra folder;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Documents/Extra/kext

[mac05:~] root# cp ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/

[mac05:~] root#

I've run weaksauce's installer and the kext is getting installed with no errors.

I see the card getting identified as a 8169s/8110S in the kernel.log but System Profiler show's no Ethernet cards and network preference pane has no ethernet interface available

VendorId (from windows) 10EC

Device (from windows) 8169

Which matches what is in the Info.plist inside the kext.

Here's the only log entries in kernel.log that I could find that seemed to have anything to do with the 8169.

Nov 21 22:56:54 Mike-Roests-iMac kernel[0]: identified as RTL8169S/8110S

Nov 21 22:56:54 Mike-Roests-iMac kernel[0]: ** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provideridentified as RTL8169S/8110S

I'm running SL 10.6.2 vanilla kernel 64 bit on a P55/Core i5 system. I don't currently have a DSDT.aml as I up till this I've had no problems with the machine.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to go from here? Network is the last piece that's not working on my hack.

Thanks!

Question - will this work with the Realtek PCIe FE card? I am trying to install SL on a Compaq CQ2009F, and getting the wired NIC to work is the last piece. I am getting the following startup errors:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (34800000)

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (7c800000)

Whatever assistance I can get will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mark

Here is my copy of it.

Question - will this work with the Realtek PCIe FE card? I am trying to install SL on a Compaq CQ2009F, and getting the wired NIC to work is the last piece. I am getting the following startup errors:

Mark

Only way to know is try it so you may want to give it a shot.

I've run weaksauce's installer and the kext is getting installed with no errors.

I see the card getting identified as a 8169s/8110S in the kernel.log but System Profiler show's no Ethernet cards and network preference pane has no ethernet interface available

VendorId (from windows) 10EC

Device (from windows) 8169

Which matches what is in the Info.plist inside the kext.

Here's the only log entries in kernel.log that I could find that seemed to have anything to do with the 8169.

Nov 21 22:56:54 Mike-Roests-iMac kernel[0]: ** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provideridentified as RTL8169S/8110S

I'm running SL 10.6.2 vanilla kernel 64 bit on a P55/Core i5 system. I don't currently have a DSDT.aml as I up till this I've had no problems with the machine.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to go from here? Network is the last piece that's not working on my hack.

Thanks!

Well I've gotten 1 step further. By moving the card to a different PCI slot I seem to have been able to get the card to be detected. I now see en0 but I can't get it to actually communicate over the wire. I've tried the plist cleanup that was suggested in a earlier post with the onyk caches cleanup with the same result.

My switch shows a link at 100 mbit, but I can't pull an ip via DHCP or if I assign a manual IP I can't ping the gateway. Switching the link state manually between 10/100/1000 doesn't seem to do anything as the link on the switch never changes.

Any suggestions?

I tried using the SnowR1000 installer without any success. Actually, after installation, both my mouse and sound stopped working.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mark

Only way to know is try it so you may want to give it a shot.

Mark

The RealtekR1000SL kext that I modified doesn't support 8101E yet. I would like to add it, but I haven't had the time to implement it, and I don't have one to test with. I will see what I can do.

Or, if someone has the time and the chip, grab the Realtek Linux driver sources for this chip and implement it for me... please?

I installed the RL1000SL.kext and it enables Bonjour but it will only connect at 100mb to my GigE switch. When I replace that kext with the pystar RL1000.kext, I get 1000mb/GigE speeds but Bonjour doesn't work.

Any ideas on a solution to both these problems. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with 10.6.2.

I installed the RL1000SL.kext and it enables Bonjour but it will only connect at 100mb to my GigE switch. When I replace that kext with the pystar RL1000.kext, I get 1000mb/GigE speeds but Bonjour doesn't work.

Any ideas on a solution to both these problems. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with 10.6.2.

Did you try using Bit Shoveler's Bonjour RealtekR1000SL.kext (post 631), and hard coding the interface to 1000/full in Network:en[n]:Advanced:Ethernet?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9436&st=630