Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

Realtek relase new AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext driver to support 32/64bit(MacOS 10.6 on Intel-based Mac computer 2.0.5 2010/9/21).

RTGMac_v2.0.5

support chips.

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168

RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)

RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E

i tested RTL8111D (RTL8168D).

Can you upload it here please

RTGMac_v2.0.5 include AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

bash-3.2# file AppleRTL8169Ethernet

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture i386): Mach-O object i386

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture ppc): Mach-O object ppc

RTGMac_v2.0.5.zip

Realtek relase new AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext driver to support 32/64bit(MacOS 10.6 on Intel-based Mac computer 2.0.5 2010/9/21).

RTGMac_v2.0.5

support chips.

Thanks for this - will test for 8168C later this evening.

Finally I can go back to LP64 :)

D

RTGMac_v2.0.5

support chips.

You have to be kidding me... All the testing for nothing :wacko:

But from what you say, Dreamcatcher, they have different .kexts for 32 and 64-bit kernels? Why?

I am sticking to Lnx2Mac's driver--it's ported from Linux and I trust that more :D

EDIT: My mistake--Just read your post again, it says "Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures". I must be blind or in need of more morning coffee...

You have to be kidding me... All the testing for nothing :wacko:

But from what you say, Dreamcatcher, they have different .kexts for 32 and 64-bit kernels? Why?

I am sticking to Lnx2Mac's driver--it's ported from Linux and I trust that more :D

EDIT: My mistake--Just read your post again, it says "Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures". I must be blind or in need of more morning coffee...

Has anyone done any comparison testing? Does it have Bonjour support? We should be so lucky with SATA6 and USB3 drivers.

Has anyone done any comparison testing? Does it have Bonjour support? We should be so lucky with SATA6 and USB3 drivers.

I'm hoping Bonjour and WOL will be working the same as they where with the 32bit 2.0.4 kext :wacko:

RTGMac_v2.0.5 include AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

bash-3.2# file AppleRTL8169Ethernet

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture i386): Mach-O object i386

AppleRTL8169Ethernet (for architecture ppc): Mach-O object ppc

Well on my config EX58-UD5 F13m ( 2x 811D ) everything seems OK

post-305243-1285091449_thumb.png

post-305243-1285091462_thumb.png

:(

Wake from sleep doesn't work with the new official Realtek driver. The NIC is dead until you reboot. :(:(:(

I've also seen on a reboot after installing, that the reboot is extremely slow and I lost USB until I powered off.

I'm sticking with the Lnx2Mac driver. :):):)

I;m actually having problems with posting video on wake with this new ati card so this is academic for me until i get that sorted.

In the mean time trying Lnx2Mac driver, just for laughs :)

D

Thanks for the post Dreamwatcher.

Just tested and working great for 8111C on my GA-EP45-DS3L. Bonjour is active with it and I have no issues when waking from sleep. I will do some further testing.

EDIT: I can use the new Realtek driver from /E/E without changing /S/L/E. I guess it should work for everyone but I don't know for sure. Here's what I did

For those of you wondering about the differences between the drivers, following are some comparisons (Note: I tested only on my P55M-UD4, with 8111D)

Versions used:

Realtek: RTGMac_v2.0.5 from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

Lnx2Mac: RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.67 from http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

Qualitative comparison:

Stability: Overall, I couldn't get any of these two to hang / panic.

AutoNeg: Seems to work equally well

Manual Config: Realtek has FullDuplex,Flow-Control which I removed in 0.0.36 - Soon will be back

Negotiated Media reporting: Both seem working equally well, Realtek seems to take about 1 second more to report media

WOL: Didn't test WOL, but it's been reportedly working on mine. Realtek adds the 'WOL' checkbox in the Energy PrefPane. Mine doesn't, but it's on my roadmap wink_anim.gif

Checksum Offloading: Don't know about Realtek. I didn't implement it yet. It's on my roadmap.

Jumbo packets: On Realtek, the control is there in PrefPane, but couldn't get it to work. I didn't implement yet. It's on my roadmap.

VLAN support: Not supported in Realtek. I didn't implement it yet. It's on my roadmap.

Sleep/Wake: Realtek loses NIC on wake. Mine just works both on Autoneg and manual config wink_anim.gif

Quantitative comparison:

I tested using netperf (See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5700) between my hack, and my 2.5GHz C2D MBP. All numbers measured on hack.

When testing AFP, both drivers fluctuate between 20MB/sec and 40MB/sec for me.

netperf from hack to MBP:

| Realtek  | Lnx2Mac  |
- Throughput		   | ~780Mbps | ~939Mbps |
- kernel_task CPU %	|	 ~64% |	 ~55% |
- kernel_task Real Mem | ~116.8MB | ~113.8MB |

However, rich reported in http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=...&f=3#p40199 that Realtek is a tad faster on AFP for him than mine... I guess YMMV...

Two-way (netperf from hack to MBP, and from MBP to hack)

| Realtek  | Lnx2Mac  |
- Throughput		   | ~690Mbps | ~850Mbps |
- kernel_task CPU %	|	 ~69% |   ~45% * |
- kernel_task Real Mem | ~118.1MB | ~115.3MB |

*) This seems weird... Might be limited by MBPs CPU</font>

Happy hacking !

Lnx2Mac

For those of you wondering about the differences between the drivers, following are some comparisons (Note: I tested only on my P55M-UD4, with 8111D)

Versions used:

Realtek: RTGMac_v2.0.5 from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

Lnx2Mac: RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.67 from http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

Qualitative comparison:

Stability: Overall, I couldn't get any of these two to hang / panic.

AutoNeg: Seems to work equally well

Manual Config: Realtek has FullDuplex,Flow-Control which I removed in 0.0.36 - Soon will be back

Negotiated Media reporting: Both seem working equally well, Realtek seems to take about 1 second more to report media

WOL: Didn't test WOL, but it's been reportedly working on mine. Realtek adds the 'WOL' checkbox in the Energy PrefPane. Mine doesn't, but it's on my roadmap wink_anim.gif

Checksum Offloading: Don't know about Realtek. I didn't implement it yet. It's on my roadmap.

Jumbo packets: On Realtek, the control is there in PrefPane, but couldn't get it to work. I didn't implement yet. It's on my roadmap.

VLAN support: Not supported in Realtek. I didn't implement it yet. It's on my roadmap.

Sleep/Wake: Realtek loses NIC on wake. Mine just works both on Autoneg and manual config wink_anim.gif

Quantitative comparison:

I tested using netperf (See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5700) between my hack, and my 2.5GHz C2D MBP. All numbers measured on hack.

When testing AFP, both drivers fluctuate between 20MB/sec and 40MB/sec for me.

netperf from hack to MBP:

| Realtek  | Lnx2Mac  |
- Throughput		   | ~780Mbps | ~939Mbps |
- kernel_task CPU %	|	 ~64% |	 ~55% |
- kernel_task Real Mem | ~116.8MB | ~113.8MB |

However, rich reported in http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=...&f=3#p40199 that Realtek is a tad faster on AFP for him than mine... I guess YMMV...

Two-way (netperf from hack to MBP, and from MBP to hack)

| Realtek  | Lnx2Mac  |
- Throughput		   | ~690Mbps | ~850Mbps |
- kernel_task CPU %	|	 ~69% |   ~45% * |
- kernel_task Real Mem | ~118.1MB | ~115.3MB |

*) This seems weird... Might be limited by MBPs CPU</font>

Happy hacking !

Lnx2Mac

Thanks, good report!!

Im using RTGMac 2.0.4 in 32 bit and its working. Then I installed RTGMac 2.0.5 and it works on 32 bit, but it doesn't work at 64 bit.

What should I do? Not even lnx2mac is working on 64 bit mode.

PS: I didn't uninstall nothing, I just installed them without removing nothing.

Im using RTGMac 2.0.4 in 32 bit and its working. Then I installed RTGMac 2.0.5 and it works on 32 bit, but it doesn't work at 64 bit.

What should I do? Not even lnx2mac is working on 64 bit mode.

PS: I didn't uninstall nothing, I just installed them without removing nothing.

Nothings wrong with the drivers on 32 & 64.

Most probably the way your installing it.

FormerlyKnownAs,

This KP seems from Realtek's driver... Care to try with mine ?

I can see that - Was using your driver previously and I went straight back to it :P works great in 32 and 64. Can't test WOL ATM as my GPU isn't posting video on wake (Fault of GPU.)!

2.0.4 worked perfectly for me - in 32bit.

Only problem I see with you driver is, on boot, a slightly longer time from seeing my desktop to the NIC being active. Maybe 30 seconds.

IPv4 settings in manual.

D

I can see that - Was using your driver previously and I went straight back to it ;) works great in 32 and 64. Can't test WOL ATM as my GPU isn't posting video on wake (Fault of GPU.)!

2.0.4 worked perfectly for me - in 32bit.

:P

Only problem I see with you driver is, on boot, a slightly longer time from seeing my desktop to the NIC being active. Maybe 30 seconds.

IPv4 settings in manual.

That's very interesting !

Care to report that in http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=64 (I'm using their forum to track issues) ?

Installing debug version and posting there the kernel.log will be much appreciated !

The Inx2mac kext broke Camtwist for me and Safari freeze up after a minute or so. But before it freezes it seems it goes a bit faster though. I have the Asus P6T SE mobo with the 8111C onboard.

Edit: I just rebooted without this kext and still my comp is acting strange and no still Camtwist. What´s more is the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] app recommended over there just don´t show up anywhere when it´s installed can´t even search/spotlight for it. Great guess its back to doing a fresh SL installation again.