Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

Hi RehabMan!

I've used your patch for vanilla mach_kernel, and I'm currently using it..

Here are my p-states from DPCIManager..

12/10/13, 10:27:05 PM, P States: 8, 24, 25, 29, 30, 32

My setup is;

-patched mach_kernel (vanilla mach_kernel from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ then patched using your script)

-haswell ssdt (Pike's ssdtPRgen)

-MacBookPro8,3 smbios

-Chameleon.boot.plist

--Generate p/c-states = No

--DropSSDT = Yes

I got better p-states when I was using the mach_kernel attached to post #1 and patched AICPM 10.8.5

Or I'm just using wrong smbios? should I get MBP10,1? or MBP11,x?

Thank you!

Hi!

When i use your kernel there are no instant reboots anymore, but i get stuck at this line:

hfs: mounted "name of disk" on device_root

I tried so many things, but without luck..

My build:

Asrock H81M-DGS mainboard

Intel G3220 Pentium

2x2GB DDR3 1333

8800GTS 512MB (Saving for 650GTX)

64GB SSD

1TB HDD

I've got an Macmini 5.1 smbios.plist, no dsdt and no ssdt

i tried all flags available (-v -f -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1/0 USBBusFix=Yes npci=0x2000/3000 cpus=1 etc etc)

What can i else try?

I'm not familiar with some of your hardware, and in any case, your post is off-topic. Please open a separate thread to troubleshoot your configuration (it is a strange mix of very old and very new hardware).

hi Rehabman!

i use clover to patch my Kernel and then let ssdtprgen.sh with the argument i5-4200U generate my ssdt. 

in this situation should i also change my smbios? my current smbios is Macbook Air 6.2.

thanks in advance

MacBookAir6,2 sounds appropriate for i5-4200U to me.

Hi RehabMan!

I've used your patch for vanilla mach_kernel, and I'm currently using it..

Here are my p-states from DPCIManager..

12/10/13, 10:27:05 PM, P States: 8, 24, 25, 29, 30, 32
My setup is;

-patched mach_kernel (vanilla mach_kernel from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ then patched using your script)

-haswell ssdt (Pike's ssdtPRgen)

-MacBookPro8,3 smbios

-Chameleon.boot.plist

--Generate p/c-states = No

--DropSSDT = Yes

I got better p-states when I was using the mach_kernel attached to post #1 and patched AICPM 10.8.5

Or I'm just using wrong smbios? should I get MBP10,1? or MBP11,x?

Thank you!

MacBookPro11,2 is most appropriate. But your pstate results will probably confirm mine in post #1.

MacBookPro11,2 is most appropriate. But your pstate results will probably confirm mine in post #1.

Where exactly can I get the MacBookPro11,2 smbios? Latest champlist and chameleon doesn't have it. The latest smbios they have is MacBookPro10,1

Thank you.

EDIT:

Here's my p-states using MacBookPro11,2 smbios from Pike's blog..

12/11/13, 8:38:21 AM, P States: 8, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

Here's my smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>10/31/12</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP112.88Z.0138.B00.1310031144</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-3CBD00234E554E41</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro11,2</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>LENOVOY510P</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Where exactly can I get the MacBookPro11,2 smbios? Latest champlist and chameleon doesn't have it. The latest smbios they have is MacBookPro10,1

Thank you.

You have to make it manually. Use google to find details like board-id, bios id, etc.

Please see my updated post #254..

I think it looks ok, except for the serial# which isn't valid (standard mac 12-character serial MBP11,2 should end in FD56).

I'm not sure if the serial feeds into anything real, but...

I think it looks ok, except for the serial# which isn't valid (standard mac 12-character serial MBP11,2 should end in FD56).

I'm not sure if the serial feeds into anything real, but...

Well I've just entered that serial, so can I just generate my own? for example, can I use, MBPR0123FD56?

Well I've just entered that serial, so can I just generate my own? for example, can I use, MBPR0123FD56?

You should probably read up on serial#, so you know what each digit corresponds to. Or play around with Chameleon Wizard so you can see the pattern in terms of how the input affects the final serial#.

Hello everyone, I have here a situation

With the virtual machine
Made a bootable USB flash drive image with App Store + disk utility + uni.beast
First try to boot so check failed and immediately restart
Then I tried to throw a kernel-xcpm-free
Run all installation went fine, then I decided to take your Kernel and that's what happened when booted

Tell me what to do?

post-1259974-0-04613700-1386745508_thumb.jpeg

post-1259974-0-98870900-1386745518_thumb.jpeg

Haswell 4770-k
MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX
Kingston DDR3-2400 8192MB HyperX Beast
Kingston HyperX SSD SandForceR 120GB
Inno3D GeForce GTX 770 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra 4GB

Hello everyone, I have here a situation

With the virtual machine

Made a bootable USB flash drive image with App Store + disk utility + uni.beast

First try to boot so check failed and immediately restart

Then I tried to throw a kernel-xcpm-free

Run all installation went fine, then I decided to take your Kernel and that's what happened when booted

Tell me what to do?

attachicon.giffoto0098-jpg.73519.jpeg

attachicon.giffoto0097-jpg.73518.jpeg

Haswell 4770-k

MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX

Kingston DDR3-2400 8192MB HyperX Beast

Kingston HyperX SSD SandForceR 120GB

Inno3D GeForce GTX 770 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra 4GB

I'm not sure what the problem is (are you running in a VM?), but it is better to use a patched kernel instead of the XCPM free one I built.

I downloaded the virtual machine already installed
then in a virtual machine created a bootable USB flash drive App Store + + disk utility [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]
then threw the kernel kernel-xcpm-free
and was able to install on the SSD maveriks your pc

but now when I try to boot from a partition on which set
relog is permanent
I understand we have to somehow replace the kernel on an already installed system Mavericks

as now there throw normal nucleus for haswell

I downloaded the virtual machine already installed

then in a virtual machine created a bootable USB flash drive App Store + + disk utility #####

then threw the kernel kernel-xcpm-free

and was able to install on the SSD maveriks your pc

but now when I try to boot from a partition on which set

relog is permanent

I understand we have to somehow replace the kernel on an already installed system Mavericks

as now there throw normal nucleus for haswell

Yes, whether using patched mach_kernel or "XCPM free built-from-sources" mach_kernel, after a fresh install to the HDD, you will have to copy the replacement mach_kernel (whichever one you're using) to the HDD. Because after a fresh install, the OS X installer has placed the normal/release/unpatched mach_kernel in the root of your HDD.

@RehabMan

Does HP still use RSA encrypted BIOS on their Haswell laptop, so there is no way to patch it with PMPatch?

I believe so.

How about Dell, do you if their laptop use RSA encrypted BIOS?

I don't have any Dell laptops.

• 2 weeks later...

just installed a prerelease for 10.9.2 and the clover patching is not working anymore. I removed the -xcpm flag from boot option and the mavericks starts as expected.

When I'm using the xcpm flag the system reboots before loading any kexts or doying any action.

I'm using your finding on an probook 4540s with Ivy bridge i5 processor.

just installed a prerelease for 10.9.2 and the clover patching is not working anymore. I removed the -xcpm flag from boot option and the mavericks starts as expected.

When I'm using the xcpm flag the system reboots before loading any kexts or doying any action.

I'm using your finding on an probook 4540s with Ivy bridge i5 processor.

10.9.2 will require a new patch. I won't be looking at it until it is released.

Having problem installing mavericks 10.9.1 on ASUS G75 Series G750JW-DB71 Intel Core i7 4700HQ  with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M

Initailly I was getting a quick reboot when it looked like it was enabling the graphics screen.. I replaced the kernal with the one you had at the beginning of this thread.. It now hangs as below (definitely farther than before) any suggestions..

FYI I built my boot image using myhack 3.3.1  I removed all the apple intel graphics drivers as I was told that was an issue..

Thanks for any help..

post-1184224-0-01582900-1388083280_thumb.jpg

Having problem installing mavericks 10.9.1 on ASUS G75 Series G750JW-DB71 Intel Core i7 4700HQ  with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M

Initailly I was getting a quick reboot when it looked like it was enabling the graphics screen.. I replaced the kernal with the one you had at the beginning of this thread.. It now hangs as below (definitely farther than before) any suggestions..

FYI I built my boot image using myhack 3.3.1  I removed all the apple intel graphics drivers as I was told that was an issue..

Thanks for any help..

I've never used myhack and don't recommend it. Do a vanilla install instead, so you know what the heck you have...

Since your laptop has nvidia optimus (not supported), you will probably need to remove the nvidia kexts.

Thanks for any help..

Hello jradomski, I tried using myhack as well and so far it has only left to problems. I was able to boot into the installer, but with an error message stating that I must restart my computer.

I am not sure what was missing, but just as Rehab stated, we are better off using a vanilla install to make sure we have all essentials in-place

Try using various bootflags such as npci=0x2000 and npci=0x3000. graphicsenabler=no and delete NVidia kexts

Updated post #1 after being able to boot using Clover with smbios MacBookPro11,2:

By borrowing some files from a real Mavericks 10.9.1 install on a real MacBookPro11,2, I was able to achieve states (well... one state) in between idle and nominal:

AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 (17) 24 26 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] GPU P-States [ 17 ]

Note new state 17.  This was booting via Clover with MacBookPro11,2 smbios and custom SSDT using ssdtPRgen.sh.

In order to do this, I borrowed from the Mac:
/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
/mach_kernel (version 13.0.2, patched for xcpm)

I'm not sure the kernel replacement was necessary, but I did it anyway.  I think this means that when a future version of OS X arrives that has true support for MacBookPro11,2, things will work a bit better.  I find it interesting that an owner of a a real MacBookPro11,2 cannot do a fresh install of 10.9.1 from the App Store and expect their machine to work as it should.

RehabMan, how could you boot with Macbook pro 11,2 smbios to 10.9? Its board id Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 is not included in retail X86PlatformPlugin.kext.

You need the plist from an actual MacBookPro11,2 install. I have a friend that has a new Haswell MacBookPro11,2. And... the /S/L/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist (or you can edit it to add the board-id and model-id). You can actually get 10.8.5 to boot a MacBookPro11,2 smbios the same way.

• Like 1