Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

11/29/13, 1:14:43 PM, P States: 8, 10, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

MacPro3,1 compiling Clover.

I guess it works. I am just curious why it doesn't normally use lower range P states.

11/29/13, 1:14:43 PM, P States: 8, 10, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

I guess it works. I am just curious why it doesn't normally use lower range P states.

I assume you're not using xcpm in that scenario (instead using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

As I noted prior, even my MacBookAir6,2 does not use pstates between idle and nominal, so it appears to be "by design" on Apple's part. And given that the MacBookAir gets 12 hours battery life, it seems that it might be best to just "go with the flow."

I assume you're not using xcpm in that scenario (instead using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

As I noted prior, even my MacBookAir6,2 does not use pstates between idle and nominal, so it appears to be "by design" on Apple's part. And given that the MacBookAir gets 12 hours battery life, it seems that it might be best to just "go with the flow."

Nope, I am using XCPM.

Maybe it's not your kernel.

I booted without cache and noticed this error:

Error reading driver 'System\Library\Extensions\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\GPUSensors.kext\Contents\MacOS\'

MacOS is the name of my OS X volume.

I can try changing the FakeSMC,kext?

I just started trying Clover with this machine, mostly because the new version of Clover has my patch for the kernel built-in ("KernelPm"). And if I boot without caches, I see this same error for many of the kexts in /S/L/E. I was able to install (using caches), but it makes me a little nervous that the system does not boot without caches. It happened also for the first boot right after installing (to reach second part of the installer where you enter your account/password/etc before reaching the desktop for the first time).

Must be a Clover bug. I'll see what I can find out...

Using KernelPm?

Testing KernelPm with my Haswell i5 and MacPro5,1 i have 8, 34, + turbo states...

Are you using SSDT aml or default in confg

Using KernelPm?

Testing KernelPm with my Haswell i5 and MacPro5,1 i have 8, 34, + turbo states...

Are you using SSDT aml or default in confg

Using KernelPm with a SSDT.aml

I only had 8 and 34. Then I started compiling Clover and all those pstates came from nowhere.

What is the output of:

# in Terminal
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu

Nothing. 

Using KernelPm with a SSDT.aml

I only had 8 and 34. Then I started compiling Clover and all those pstates came from nowhere.

Nothing.

What is your SSDT (c/p state) situation? Generated from Clover? OEM SSDT? Custom from ssdtPRGen.sh? plugin-type=1, or not?

I might have to try MacPro5,1 just for grins... Not that I think having those extra states is good or necessary (my Apple MBA6,2 doesn't have them), but I'd like to know under what circumstances they are enabled.

What is your SSDT (c/p state) situation? Generated from Clover? OEM SSDT? Custom from ssdtPRGen.sh? plugin-type=1, or not?

I might have to try MacPro5,1 just for grins... Not that I think having those extra states is good or necessary (my Apple MBA6,2 doesn't have them), but I'd like to know under what circumstances they are enabled.

ssdtPRGen.sh

Plugin-type ignored

C states I haven't worried about

Means I didn't put anything in there

Clover probably does it by default. Open your SSDT (via MaciASL) and look inside it.

Means I didn't put anything in there

ssdtPRgen.sh provides it if your CPU requires it. It also generates C-states. You can simply open your SSDT.aml and look for plugin-type. It is probably set to 1. In which case, I'll give that a try.

What board-id are you using?

One way to answer all the questions I have about your config is to post ioreg. I'd like to try to reproduce your results here.

Clover probably does it by default. Open your SSDT (via MaciASL) and look inside it.

ssdtPRgen.sh provides it if your CPU requires it. It also generates C-states. You can simply open your SSDT.aml and look for plugin-type. It is probably set to 1. In which case, I'll give that a try.

What board-id are you using?

One way to answer all the questions I have about your config is to post ioreg. I'd like to try to reproduce your results here.

I gotta go, but I can do that tomorrow.

I gotta go, but I can do that tomorrow.

Great. That would be super. I'd really like to nail down this issue here (although I'm buried deep trying to figure out why Clover UEFI won't boot this machine without caches).

As ye wish 

attachicon.gifioreg.zip

Thanks.

You're actually using MacPro3,1 (not MacPro5,1). And plugin-type=1 in SSDT. It is a pretty weird combo (smbios of LGA775 era hardware, combined with Haswell CPU), but I'll play around with it.

Thanks.

You're actually using MacPro3,1 (not MacPro5,1). And plugin-type=1 in SSDT. It is a pretty weird combo (smbios of LGA775 era hardware, combined with Haswell CPU), but I'll play around with it.

You misread my post. I specified that it was a MacPro3,1 in an earlier post

You misread my post. I specified that it was a MacPro3,1 in an earlier post

Probably the annoying forum combining posts/replies...

As ye wish 

attachicon.gifioreg.zip

The other interesting thing about your config is that you have both the ssdtPRgen c/p state SSDT (first one), and the Clover generated c/p state SSDTs (SSDT-1, SSDT-2). Intentional?

Probably the annoying forum combining posts/replies...

The other interesting thing about your config is that you have both the ssdtPRgen c/p state SSDT (first one), and the Clover generated c/p state SSDTs (SSDT-1, SSDT-2). Intentional?

No I don't have Clover generate P states

All I have is DropOEM. I don't have C states or P states generated via config.plist

UPDATE:

iMac14,2 

12/1/13, 2:26:42 PM, P States: 8, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

iMac13,2

12/1/13, 3:24:05 PM, P States: 8, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

MacPro3,1 using no SSDT with the this kernel and a patched AICPUP.kext from 10.8.5, and using Chameleon generating P and C states

12/1/13, 5:32:37 PM, P States: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 32, 34, 36, 37

With stock bios settings? Could you test MacPro5,1?

I'm testing some config options but no states between 8 and 34 (i5 4670k+gaz87n)

Tested 5,1, lots of errors

Tested MacPro4,1, and

12/1/13, 5:44:19 PM, P States: 8, 10, 16, 18, 20, 23, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

I think I found my sweet SMBios

No I don't have Clover generate P states

... I don't have C states or P states generated via config.plist

They default to true if omitted. You can check what tables are loading by looking at your ioreg, or by running MaciASL and checking what is available at File->New from ACPI (it is looking at ioreg).

I made several tests without success;

i54670k,GAZ87N, CPU bios settings (EIST and states) Auto/Disable/Enabled, Clover2352, KernelPm true, SMBios MacPro5,1,4,1,iMac14,2,13,2, no states between 8-34 only turbo states...

I don't understand where I wrong...