Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

I have an much easier solution for you!

Add "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41" to your platformsupport.plist in S/L/CoreServices

Add "MacBookPro11,2" too...

now change your smbios to MacBookPro11,2 smbios with the board id "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41" and generate a serial number:

C02XXXXXFD58 (replace the X with anything you want for the MacBookPro11,2 serial number)

Now save all and you're ready

Reboot!

After you had rebooted, start App Store and search for updates... Now you get a new Update for MacBookPro Late 2013...

Install it...

Don't forget, if you haven't a PMPatched Bios (Haswell only), you Need RehabMans Kernel Patch... otherwise you get an early reboot after update...

The Update replaces:

PlattformSupport.plst

AppleHDA

Graphic Drivers

mach_kernel

and much more...

You are now done and you should get x8 x17 x24-x32 Pstates... (diffent for every CPU)

You can use ssdtPRgen script or you can generate with clover. (I didn't seen any difference)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing,

RehabMan, you have an Haswell HM87 Chipset...

My Notebook config is similar...

i7-4558U / Iris 5100 / HM87 / ALC282... (Asus UX301LA)

How did you fixed sleep?

I tried everything... i fixed all and all is working perfectly... i only didn't get sleep fixed :-)

Cheers :-)

• Like 1

I have an much easier solution for you!

Add "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41" to your platformsupport.plist in S/L/CoreServices

Add "MacBookPro11,2" too...

now change your smbios to MacBookPro11,2 smbios with the board id "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41" and generate a serial number:

C02XXXXXFD58 (replace the X with anything you want for the MacBookPro11,2 serial number)

Now save all and you're ready

Reboot!

After you had rebooted, start App Store and search for updates... Now you get a new Update for MacBookPro Late 2013...

Install it...

Yes, I actually did the update after as well... But I was more interested in finding the true minimum to make it work including power management. And, of course, there is no such update for 10.8.5.

Another thing,

RehabMan, you have an Haswell HM87 Chipset...

My Notebook config is similar...

i7-4558U / Iris 5100 / HM87 / ALC282... (Asus UX301LA)

How did you fixed sleep?

I never had a problem with sleep as long as power management was working.

Crazy as it is, this machine will actually boot along with working sleep with the OEM ACPI tables.

I tried everything... i fixed all and all is working perfectly... i only didn't get sleep fixed :-)

Perhaps you should be clear on exactly what is wrong with your sleep functionality.

Sleep is multifaceted... here are some of the things that can be not working:

- lockup/reboot entering sleep

- autosleep not working

- lockup/reboot waking from sleep

- instant wake from sleep

- screen backlight not working after sleep

... I could go on and on... Each symptom is a different problem with potentially different solutions.

You need the plist from an actual MacBookPro11,2 install. I have a friend that has a new Haswell MacBookPro11,2. And... the /S/L/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist (or you can edit it to add the board-id and model-id). You can actually get 10.8.5 to boot a MacBookPro11,2 smbios the same way.

Do I need to add board-id to anywhere else to get xcpm works? I used original mach_kernel + KernelPM in Clover + Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 + MacBookPro11,2 + C02XXXXXFD58, but "kextstat | grep -y cpu" still reports AICPM is loaded, and no speedstep yet. I'm on 10.9 now and I can't see "Update 10.9.1 for MacbookPro Retina 2013", only normal 10.9.1. Am I doing anything wrong?

EDIT: I rebuild cache and get native XCPM, but still no Update for macbook pro retina yet. Do I need to update to 10.9.1 first? I'm using 13A603

Yes, I actually did the update after as well... But I was more interested in finding the true minimum to make it work including power management. And, of course, there is no such update for 10.8.5.

I never had a problem with sleep as long as power management was working.

Crazy as it is, this machine will actually boot along with working sleep with the OEM ACPI tables.

Perhaps you should be clear on exactly what is wrong with your sleep functionality.

Sleep is multifaceted... here are some of the things that can be not working:

- lockup/reboot entering sleep

- autosleep not working

- lockup/reboot waking from sleep

- instant wake from sleep

- screen backlight not working after sleep

... I could go on and on... Each symptom is a different problem with potentially different solutions.

Youre right thats Crazy! Why do you sit on 10.8.5?

Can you PM me your DSDT? I need to look what your WAK and PTS do...

On my laptop nothing works thats todo with sleep...

where i should begin?

Menu->Sleep = Only Screen OFF / Screen On with any button...

Lid_Close = Get a successfull sleep, with blinking led... / Lid Open and it reboots on trying to wake...

Powerbutton = Only Screen OFF / Screen On with any button...

And Sleep Hotkey = It fails on "Going to Sleep" / I try to go to sleep and in this process where it should be successfull sleeping, the Laptop turns off...

(PS: i have unlocked MSR 0xE2 "PMPatched" Bios)

Im actually lost and really dunno what i can do...

And on Original OEM DSDT, i get no sleep at all, only reboots... there is nothing to say more :-)

I attach you my DSDT+ioreg, maybe you can look at it...

Thank you :-)

Do I need to add board-id to anywhere else to get xcpm works? I used original mach_kernel + KernelPM in Clover + Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 + MacBookPro11,2 + C02XXXXXFD58, but "kextstat | grep -y cpu" still reports AICPM is loaded, and no speedstep yet. I'm on 10.9 now and I can't see "Update 10.9.1 for MacbookPro Retina 2013", only normal 10.9.1. Am I doing anything wrong?

EDIT: I rebuild cache and get native XCPM, but still no Update for macbook pro retina yet. Do I need to update to 10.9.1 first? I'm using 13A603

Sry i forgot to write, yes update first to 10.9.1 (13B42) after that you should see the update...

Or you can download and install it manual:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1712

RamaUX301LA.zip

I downloaded http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1712 but it can't be installed on 10A603 (10.9.0), will try again with 10.9.1, thanks.

EDIT: Does the patch work with kernel 13.0.0, 13.0.1, 13.0.2 and new kernel in 10.9.2 beta too?

perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x6c(\x48\x83\xc7\x28\x90\x8b\x05..\x5e\x00\x85\x47\xdc)\x74\x54(\x8b\x4f\xd8\x45\x85\xc0\x74\x08\x44\x39\xc1\x44\x89\xc1)\x75\x44(\x0f\x32\x89\xc0\x48\xc1\xe2\x20\x48\x09\xc2\x48\x89\x57\xf8\x48\x8b\x47\xe8\x48\x85\xc0\x74\x06\x48\xf7\xd0\x48\x21\xc2\x48\x0b\x57\xf0\x49\x89\xd1\x49\xc1\xe9\x20\x89\xd0\x8b\x4f\xd8\x4c\x89\xca)(\x0f\x30\x8b\x4f\xd8\x0f\x32\x89\xc0\x48\xc1\xe2\x20\x48\x09\xc2\x48\x89\x17\x48\x83\xc7\x30\xff\xce)\x75\x99(\x5d\xc3)\x90{7}|\x74\x73${1}\x74\x5b${2}\x75\x4b${3}\x66\x81\xf9\xe2\x00\x74\x02${4}\x75\x92${5}|g' mach_kernel 

I think you need to update to 10.9.1 first. The retina update comes after...

I downloaded http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1712 but it can't be installed on 10A603 (10.9.0), will try again with 10.9.1, thanks.

EDIT: Does the patch work with kernel 13.0.0, 13.0.1, 13.0.2 and new kernel in 10.9.2 beta too?

perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x6c(\x48\x83\xc7\x28\x90\x8b\x05..\x5e\x00\x85\x47\xdc)\x74\x54(\x8b\x4f\xd8\x45\x85\xc0\x74\x08\x44\x39\xc1\x44\x89\xc1)\x75\x44(\x0f\x32\x89\xc0\x48\xc1\xe2\x20\x48\x09\xc2\x48\x89\x57\xf8\x48\x8b\x47\xe8\x48\x85\xc0\x74\x06\x48\xf7\xd0\x48\x21\xc2\x48\x0b\x57\xf0\x49\x89\xd1\x49\xc1\xe9\x20\x89\xd0\x8b\x4f\xd8\x4c\x89\xca)(\x0f\x30\x8b\x4f\xd8\x0f\x32\x89\xc0\x48\xc1\xe2\x20\x48\x09\xc2\x48\x89\x17\x48\x83\xc7\x30\xff\xce)\x75\x99(\x5d\xc3)\x90{7}|\x74\x73${1}\x74\x5b${2}\x75\x4b${3}\x66\x81\xf9\xe2\x00\x74\x02${4}\x75\x92${5}|g' mach_kernel 

I only know it works with 13.0.0 and 13.0.2. Haven't seen the other mach_kernel files.

Youre right thats Crazy! Why do you sit on 10.8.5?

I'm multi-booting. Currently 10.9.1, 10.8.5, and Windows 8.1.

Can you PM me your DSDT? I need to look what your WAK and PTS do...

On my laptop nothing works thats todo with sleep...

where i should begin?

Eventually I'll publish my DSDT and patches and the process to apply them, but they are not ready yet.

Menu->Sleep = Only Screen OFF / Screen On with any button...

You're not giving it enough time. There is a ~20s delay in Mavericks from sleep request to sleep begin. Only lid sleep happens immediately.

Lid_Close = Get a successfull sleep, with blinking led... / Lid Open and it reboots on trying to wake...

Sounds like sleep is working, but you have an issue on wake up from sleep. Did you do the _WAK patch for DSDT? See: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Powerbutton = Only Screen OFF / Screen On with any button...

~20 sec delay. See above.

And Sleep Hotkey = It fails on "Going to Sleep" / I try to go to sleep and in this process where it should be successfull sleeping, the Laptop turns off...

How to investigate this depends on how your "Sleep Hotkey" is working (eg. PS2 via ps2 keyboard driver, or ACPI via WMI related stuff)

Just got one from my friend's 10.9.2, it's version 13.1.0. Your above patch still works. OP's patch and Clover's KernelPM do not work though.

Yes... the original patch cannot deal with the variable offset of _xcpm_cpu_model. Same goes for KernelPm in Clover (only works with 13.0.0).

i tryed your WAK Patch 1 & 2... doesn't help... still the same...

menu -> Sleep = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

fn+f1 (ACPI not PS2) = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

lid_close = Sleep success -> Reboot on wake trying

power button = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

im still lost... and dunno how to get this working...

Maybe you could look fast with one eye over my PTS and WAK in dsdt...

Thank you RehabMan :-)

i tryed your WAK Patch 1 & 2... doesn't help... still the same...

menu -> Sleep = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

fn+f1 (ACPI not PS2) = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

lid_close = Sleep success -> Reboot on wake trying

power button = shutdown after trying to go to sleep

im still lost... and dunno how to get this working...

Maybe you could look fast with one eye over my PTS and WAK in dsdt...

Thank you RehabMan :-)

If you think your DSDT methods _WAK/_PTS are causing issues, you might put some traces in them so you can understand the execution path and if they are executing to completion.

See: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Debug

• Like 1

Hi rehabman ...i need a your help if you can ...sorry for OT ...on my asrock in sign ...dont work sleep ...how can do fix ?

There could be many reasons for that and this is not the appropriate thread.

I just found an bug in FakeSMC maybe its usefull for you:-)

I uploaded pictures :-)

And the Geekbench 3 Score with MBP11,2 Smbios and i7-4558U + Pstates Picture :-)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/315743

PS: Is it using only 1.17W at x8 or is it because hwmon isnt updated or sth?

---------------------------------

Yes i seen, ACPI Debugging... So i need go now with the hard way :-)

Thank you, anyway :-)

post-735125-0-08719400-1388787311_thumb.png

post-735125-0-35975600-1388787312_thumb.png

post-735125-0-47370100-1388787313_thumb.png

post-735125-0-71723900-1388788005_thumb.png

RehabMan...

Please share me only a snipplet of your WAK and Sleep Method... And if XHCI/USB have sth todo with that, too. That will be nice!

I tryed now everythig, and im so far, that i get sleep working, it had todo with USB... Sleep led is now blinking... but on WAK i get reboot or shutdown...

Have the same HM87 Chipset but from Asus and not HP....

PS: You can add UX301LA to the Batterypatch for Asus A55/UX31A

RehabMan...

Please share me only a snipplet of your WAK and Sleep Method... And if XHCI/USB have sth todo with that, too. That will be nice!

I tryed now everythig, and im so far, that i get sleep working, it had todo with USB... Sleep led is now blinking... but on WAK i get reboot or shutdown...

Have the same HM87 Chipset but from Asus and not HP....

PS: You can add UX301LA to the Batterypatch for Asus A55/UX31A

DSDT for my machine is very similar to gygabyte666's machine here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109

I tryed to replace some things from gygabytes666's DSDT...

USB is still working... But didn't changed anything...

Im now again on my working dsdt... i uploaded it on github... maybe you can look at it...

+ I have extracted MacBookPro11,1 Firmware (The latest one) and uploaded the Tables:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT

I hope for any help, really :-)

I tryed to replace some things from gygabytes666's DSDT...

USB is still working... But didn't changed anything...

Im now again on my working dsdt... i uploaded it on github... maybe you can look at it...

+ I have extracted MacBookPro11,1 Firmware (The latest one) and uploaded the Tables:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT

I hope for any help, really :-)

Are you using/loading the SSDT tables or are you dropping them all? Sometimes, they are required...

Im using it, im only dropping:

<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

Im using Piker's ssdtprgen script...

So i think thats not the problem...

PS: i don't know why all write "if you use ssdtprgen, drop CpuPM and Cpu0Ist"...

but ssdtprgen script doesnt generate Cpu0Ist, so why i should drop it?

Im using it, im only dropping:

<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
Im using Piker's ssdtprgen script...

So i think thats not the problem...

PS: i don't know why all write "if you use ssdtprgen, drop CpuPM and Cpu0Ist"...

but ssdtprgen script doesnt generate Cpu0Ist, so why i should drop it?

"Cpu0Ist" is just a label. The label doesn't matter, it is the contents that matter.

Also, sometimes it is a bad idea to include all SSDTs... perhaps there is more that you should be dropping. Experiment.

Also, if you've done some DSDT patching, make sure you do similar changes to the SSDTs you're loading. For example, if you rename 'GFX0' to 'IGPU' in DSDT, make sure you do it in all SSDTs that reference GFX0 (if you don't OS X will throw them out).

• Like 1

Ok, i seen now, i try to edit my DSDT instead of the SSDT's... Changed back to GFX0, and optimized much of the code... Now the CPU Package total eat 0.8W instead of 1.2W but dunno if thats only moments or a improve of dsdt...

But however... doesn't changed in sleep or wake anything...

So im there where i was before too...

Ok, i seen now, i try to edit my DSDT instead of the SSDT's... Changed back to GFX0, and optimized much of the code... Now the CPU Package total eat 0.8W instead of 1.2W but dunno if thats only moments or a improve of dsdt...

But however... doesn't changed in sleep or wake anything...

So im there where i was before too...

If you want me to look at your setup, post ioreg (use v2.x of IORegistryExplorer).

• Like 1