Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

Hello

Thanks ReHabMan

I have another computer with Ivy Bridger... i think in make a hack on it...

I need patch mach_kernel with your perl code to make PM work full in Ivy Bridger? or is only necessary make this patch for Haswell?

X86PlatformPlugin is a required kext(it must be loaded)... i need have anothers importantes kexts loaded to make my PM work 100%? You can tell me them?

Thanks again

Sorry for my english!!!

Hello

Ok, Thanks

I always use Pike's script for generate PM for my CPU...

But about X86PlatformPlugin.... i think is necessary be loaded and i believe have anothers kexts that need be loaded too, a good example is kext AppleLPC, if AppleLPC aren't loaded... you have problems with PM.

Hello

Ok, Thanks

I always use Pike's script for generate PM for my CPU...

But about X86PlatformPlugin.... i think is necessary be loaded and i believe have anothers kexts that need be loaded too, a good example is kext AppleLPC, if AppleLPC aren't loaded... you have problems with PM.

yes x86platformplugin is neccessary! And applelpc is good to have it loaded too...

Just add a _DSM method with any device id that is supported by apple in your LPCB device in dsdt... and only if applelpc isn't loading...

Cheers :-)

PS: The most Ivy Bridges works without problems!

Hello

Thanks ReHabMan

I have another computer with Ivy Bridger... i think in make a hack on it...

I need patch mach_kernel with your perl code to make PM work full in Ivy Bridger? or is only necessary make this patch for Haswell?

X86PlatformPlugin is a required kext(it must be loaded)... i need have anothers importantes kexts loaded to make my PM work 100%? You can tell me them?

Thanks again

Sorry for my english!!!

With Ivy, it is optional to patch the mach_kernel.  You can enable XCPM using kernel flag -xcpm.  With that flag, CPU PM operates as it does with Haswell (PM in mach_kernel, AICPUPM not loaded).

X86PlatformPlugin is used with a proper generated SSDT(plugin-type=1) for Ivy and Haswell.  X86PlatformPlugin is not used on Sandy.

Hello

Thanks for explain everything...

So for Ivy XCPM is disabled, but i have a option to enable it and use kernel(XNU mach_kernel) to generate PM... because before without enable it, the power management for Ivy was genereted via AICPUPM... i'm right?

For Haswell CPU have only PM via XNU kernel, doesn't have PM via AICPUP... i'm right?

Hello

Thanks for explain everything...

So for Ivy XCPM is disabled, but i have a option to enable it and use kernel(XNU mach_kernel) to generate PM... because before without enable it, the power management for Ivy was genereted via AICPUPM... i'm right?

For Haswell CPU have only PM via XNU kernel, doesn't have PM via AICPUP... i'm right?

Correct.

To clarify:

XCPM is not valid/not used with Sandy.

XCPM is optional for Ivy with -xcpm kernel flag, but default is off.

XCPM is required on Haswell with -xcpm having no effect.

Hello

I undestood that XCPM isn't for Sandy Bridger... you told me before.

I just try undestand some thing that i don't know... Like i said, i have a Ivy CPU too(in one notebook)and i want really just know about this...

Thanks again ReHabMan... you help me soo much.

Note: I removed the kernel I built from sources as people were not reading the post and still downloading it when they should have been patching their own mach_kernel with the perl scripts.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2013-11-25

With some prodding by Pike's blog, I went back to my original patch that I had attempted a number of weeks ago, and I found the mistakes I had made with my patch (this was prior to building the kernel from sources). The details are on my blog here: http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/maverickshaswell-kernel-patch-for-early-reboot/

As a result, I'm now running a patched mach_kernel (not built from source, but patched from retail), MacBookPro11,2 smbios.plist, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, ssdt.aml generated with Pike's script (plugin-type=1). Of course, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement does not load, as all CPU power management is handled by the kernel (xcpm). In other words, it is running just as a real Haswell MacBookPro would as far as power management. The only "problem" that I can see, is that I'm not getting pstates between x8 and x24, much like the results with iMac14,2. I wonder if something is missing (taking the place of X86PlatformPlugin plists?) that the bootloader/DSDT/SSDT should be injecting to inform the kernel's xcpm behavior? More investigation is needed. I will investigate by watching the behavior of my real MacBookAir6,2 and perhaps a friend's real MacBookPro11,x.

Can you help me to build a mach_kernel for dell n4020 and how you get that smbios how to put it to clover?

my laptop Specification:

Intel Pentium T4500

GMA 4500MHD

HERE

(can you patch my bios?)

n4020ao5.zip

Can you help me to build a mach_kernel for dell n4020 and how you get that smbios how to put it to clover?

my laptop Specification:

Intel Pentium T4500

GMA 4500MHD

HERE

(can you patch my bios?)

Off-topic. This thread concerns only computers with Haswell CPUs.

FYI: GMA4500MHD is not supported by any version of OS X (no QE/CI==painful). Time for you to buy a new computer.

Can you give me smbios macpro11,1?

No such thing as MacPro11,1. Perhaps you mean MacBookPro11,1. If you read Pike's blog, you can construct one for yourself (maybe even Clover Configurator has this capability). And MacBookPro11,1 is not remotely appropriate for your laptop.

No such thing as MacPro11,1. Perhaps you mean MacBookPro11,1. If you read Pike's blog, you can construct one for yourself (maybe even Clover Configurator has this capability). And MacBookPro11,1 is not remotely appropriate for your laptop.

excuse me, what is the meaning not remotely appopriate for my laptop? Can you please provide me the link of pike's blog? There are so many similar name of pike blog, yes, typing error, it's macbookpro 11,1<-- Thanks for remind me

Edited by ericsia-newbie

what is the meaning not remotely appopriate for my laptop?give me the link of pike's blog.. There are so many similar name of pike blog, yes, typing error, it's macbookpro 11,1

MacBookPro11,x is the latest MacBookPro with Haswell/8-series chipset and retina display.

Your laptop is super old. It does not have hardware even close to the latest Haswell generation. You should choose a smbios that is closer to the hardware that you actually have. Use everymac.com to explore your options.

Pike's blog is here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/

MacBookPro11,x is the latest MacBookPro with Haswell/8-series chipset and retina display.

Your laptop is super old. It does not have hardware even close to the latest Haswell generation. You should choose a smbios that is closer to the hardware that you actually have. Use everymac.com to explore your options.

but Slice (creator of clover) ask me to use that smbios. If you were me, you will use which version of smbios? Could you please give me your opinion?

Thank you very much, you are great, man!!! i saw his blog before, i want to contact him but i don't know how....

Edited by ericsia-newbie

but Slice (creator of clover) ask me to use that smbios. If you were me, you will use which version of smbios?

If I were you I'd look for similar hardware at everymac.com.

And if I had that computer, and wanted to run OS X, I'd sell it. The graphics are not supported and OS X will never work correctly. Unless you're doing this just to learn something, it is not worth the trouble.

• Like 1

what is the meaning not remotely appopriate for my laptop?give me the link of pike's blog.. There are so many similar name of pike blog, yes, typing error, it's macbookpro 11,1

Did your Mother doesn't learned you to say "Please" or "Thank You" or anything more friendly?

"give me the link of pike's blog..." lol, what i can say here... if i were Rehab, i wouldn't even speak with you!

• Like 1

@RehabMan: Can we create a bash script containing your patch, copy to root of Install usb and run it from Terminal in Installer? That script is way too long and easy to make mistake.

Of course you can do that. You can also use copy/paste.

Did your Mother doesn't learned you to say "Please" or "Thank You" or anything more friendly?

"give me the link of pike's blog..." lol, what i can say here... if i were Rehab, i wouldn't even speak with you!

sorry. I am a polite boy ><.. Please forgive me with your kindness, i learnt a important lesson teach by you. Thank you very much, if you can, I want you become my mentor XD Sorry..

If I were you I'd look for similar hardware at everymac.com.

And if I had that computer, and wanted to run OS X, I'd sell it. The graphics are not supported and OS X will never work correctly. Unless you're doing this just to learn something, it is not worth the trouble.

I have installed 10.6 but now I want to install 10.9.. Can you teach me how to configure?

I still not familiar with this forum, because when i was in _______.net, when i use polite word everyone seem like didn't want to give me respond because they think that i am noob (i think they look down me)

Edited by ericsia-newbie

No One Looks down to you:-) Some peoples just not reply, because they are Too Lazy to help...

You have a very old Laptop, i dont know really if osx 10.9 Supports it.

How far are you now? Osx 10.9 is Running, but very buggy?

Or you didnt installed it?