OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

@Timewalker

Used your package for reinstalling Hackintosh on my L702X, works like a charm and better than ever before. Myself, I never managed to fix the brightness levels and ethernet on wake always meant trouble. Also, your way of using on-the-fly fixes promises a way smoother updating process. Thanks very much. Really having the smooth feel now. Now just fetch a replacement for the Intel WLAN card...

Two questions, hoping you'd like to answer them:

1) Is it possible (where to look) to flip the media/function key behaviour? I have always had it set to function key as primary, but now, regardless of that, media key is primary.

2) How/where DID you fix the brightness levels? I think I once saw a comment of yours on some EDID patch, but never understood. 

@anonymousnbs

Your profile picture is just too sweet.

5783b67ae3.png

That was just too simple  :blush: Thanks anyway. Just updated to 10.9.5, no hiccups. Haven't got hibernate to work so far, at least modes 1 and 25 don't work, but it doesn't really matter much. Just noticed that you even took care of the touchpad switch, awesome  :P

That was just too simple  :blush: Thanks anyway. Just updated to 10.9.5, no hiccups. Haven't got hibernate to work so far, at least modes 1 and 25 don't work, but it doesn't really matter much. Just noticed that you even took care of the touchpad switch, awesome  :P

set hibernatemode to 7

@Timewalker

Used your package for reinstalling Hackintosh on my L702X, works like a charm and better than ever before. Myself, I never managed to fix the brightness levels and ethernet on wake always meant trouble. Also, your way of using on-the-fly fixes promises a way smoother updating process. Thanks very much. Really having the smooth feel now. Now just fetch a replacement for the Intel WLAN card...

Can I get some credit too?  :)

Hi everyone.

Firstly thank you so much for your hard work, your guide has finally allowed me to boot my Dell L702x into Mac OSX. Great work indeed. I have a slight problem I expect caused by using Niresh's distro (I do not have access to a mac to get mavericks without a distro)

Mac OSX currently states in 'About This Mac' that I have a MacBook Pro and Intel HD Graphics 3000 as my graphics. I have run your Dell SCT OSX software twice but the system profile and Nvidia Optimus Graphics are not sticking. As I said, its probably because I used Niresh's distro. Is there any way I can get the XPS L702x profile to work for me?

Thanks

James

He is referring to custom image and system definition in system profiler, the one you see in OP, only for XPS. There may be an issue with the script, I need to check this. Also with Yosemite the image only updates after a certain period of time, the image is cached somewhere and I have no idea what triggers it to change exactly. For me it changed after an OSX update.

Can I get some credit too?  :)

Used your stuff for quite some timeI didn't know you were involved here, too. Used your stuff for quite some time, so thanks anyway for that. Didn't know you were involved here, in which case credits for you, too  :)

@Timewalker, Inter95

Reason for not setting hibernatemode to 7 was thinking it doesn't allow you to enter hibernation on demand. Correct?

@Timewalker

Noticed the custom definition not working, too. The image does, though.

post-981015-0-02235500-1412674326_thumb.png

You will never get an on-demand option for hibernate with the current state of things. Encryption has to be disabled, but with it disabled on-demand is not possible. So you have to put the laptop to sleep yourself when you get the battery warning. At least everything you do can survive even if the battery drains completely. 

The system definition not appearing is an odd one, can you check what does the com.apple.SystemProfier.plist says at ~/Library/Preferences

The serial ends with DF92 for XPS17 model and that is what I have defined for custom model string.. 

under Volume/Mac OSX (my hard drive)/Library/Preferences/   I was unable to find com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist. Is this purely an aesthetic problem, or would the correct system profile change the functionality? I am assuming the graphics card is always going to be Intel HD3000 as as far as I know no one has managed to get Nvidia Optimus to work on a hackintosh? Thank you for looking into this.

D'oh that explains why I have the same issues with en_UK locale as well...

Looking at your config.plist I noticed that States C2/C4 are disabled, and C6/C7 are enabled. Have you disabled the former to allow rapid entry back to C0 (and save energy)?

Also why is C3 latency specifically set to 250us - just curious as the power efficiency is really good with these settings (steady state consumption is ~700mAh for an i7 & 1080p screen w/ ACPI brightness settings on lowest). 

If anyone else is also interested, to obtain max power savings if you use the SSDTs provided, devices RP04 and RP06 on the XPS15/15z point to the USB 3.0 and Ethernet controllers respectively (same as XPS 17) as opposed to RP03 and RP05 on the Vostro/Inspiron.

@jamesharding - yes that's correct AFAIK. Your NVIDIA card under Optimus will show up but you won't be able to use it. On my L511z w/ NV-GT525M (2GB) I can see the card if I don't insert the NOFF() method, but Card RAM shows up as 0GB. Unless of course I'm missing something. 

Looking at your config.plist I noticed that States C2/C4 are disabled, and C6/C7 are enabled. Have you disabled the former to allow rapid entry back to C0 (and save energy)?

Also why is C3 latency specifically set to 250us - just curious as the power efficiency is really good with these settings (steady state consumption is ~700mAh for an i7 & 1080p screen w/ ACPI brightness settings on lowest). 

C2 was never working, only C1 and C3 were. Sandy Bridge M supports C6 and C7 (even extended C7) which are used for faster fallback to C0, indeed. I don't recall the source of  250 us exactly, someone has suggested em to use it with an SNB CPU based on their own experience .. this value was  taken from FACP table of some low voltage machine .. and for some reason it works exceptionally well. Sadly, I don't know whom to give credit at this point.

• Like 1

Hey TimeWalker,

So ive finally had some free time to tinker with my hackintosh n4110.

I had an issue before with the network card not working. I tried your fixes with booting without caches. and without cache and injected kext. I double checked to make sure the kext files were good. I did the sudo touch to system library extensions. i mounted the efi to make sure the kext files were there on boot.

I had done a full wipe and reinstall. experienced the sluggishness and did a bios reload with /cvar and bingo system was perfect...

I then swapped the old wireless intel card back in. My bluetooth works and i have sound. Interesting thing is with the azurewave aw-nb290 i have no sound! So i have come to the conclusion that it must be a bad wireless card.

What do you think? Do you have a known working wireless card that i could purchase instead of trying another one that could be bad on ebay...

Thanks again for all your help! I love this hackintosh. And i would make it a daily driver if i can get that damn wireless working! BTW yosemite beta 5 works flawlessly. 

1 - when you ran SCT OSX Support Package did you select NB290

2 - if you have windows make sure to shut down from windows no just restart

3 - after everything is setup you don't have to boot with injected kext, just press ENTER

4 - for some reason the CodecCommander that come with SCT OSX doesn't work properly in my system, i have to use this one

CC-D&R_test1.zip install it with Kext Utility v2.5.1

​regarding wireless card i have the same card NB290 working with no issues.

Hi All. Finally received and installed this wifi card for my dell l702x

Broadcom BCM943225HMB 2x2 802.11b/g/n Wireless + BlueTooth 3.0 Combo Card

After i installed, i booted up my windows partition to confirm that the card did indeed work.

On the maverick partition, bluetooth works fine and connected with my iPhone.

But i cannot get wifi to work. I have installed the SCT package. 

I searched this thread and saw the 'sudo touch' command and I tried that and I was met with "touch: System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory"

I have attached a darwin dump. any help would be greatly appreciated.

DarwinDumper_2.9.6_Phoenix_Technologies_Ltd._X64_Mav_Domo.zip

Hi All. Finally received and installed this wifi card for my dell l702x

Broadcom BCM943225HMB 2x2 802.11b/g/n Wireless + BlueTooth 3.0 Combo Card

After i installed, i booted up my windows partition to confirm that the card did indeed work.

On the maverick partition, bluetooth works fine and connected with my iPhone.

But i cannot get wifi to work. I have installed the SCT package. 

I searched this thread and saw the 'sudo touch' command and I tried that and I was met with "touch: System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory"

I have attached a darwin dump. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure your on the root of your drive before you run the sudo touch. so "CD /" should get you there

1 - when you ran SCT OSX Support Package did you select NB290

2 - if you have windows make sure to shut down from windows no just restart

3 - after everything is setup you don't have to boot with injected kext, just press ENTER

4 - for some reason the CodecCommander that come with SCT OSX doesn't work properly in my system, i have to use this one

CC-D&R_test1.zip install it with Kext Utility v2.5.1

​regarding wireless card i have the same card NB290 working with no issues.

I did select nb290. I don't have windows. I did also try just enter. 

I'll try the new codec commander and see how it goes. just need to replace the card once again :)

Update...

Well i think i figured it out. It must be my card. I ran DCPIManager to see what hardware is installed.

I get BCM43227 which is clearly no supported..

Does anyone have a recommendation on what card on ebay i should buy. Send me a link to an auction and i'll buy it! :)

What a sigh of relief... I thought there was something i was doing wrong. I literally did everything. good thing is ive learned lots!