OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

Yeah, rotational drives are a pain in the {censored}, especially faster and newer ones. I (well, my father now) have an Asus K50Ij from early 2009, so it's  5 years old .. the drive in it is a Hitachi one, SMART is still green with every aspect of it. The laptop has traveled with me daily for 3 years and has been abroad multiple times with me and now my father (for the past 2 years). All I can say is .. the newer technology is, the sooner it'll break. Things are not built to last these days, only to hold up until warranty expires.

The fan I had bought was this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CPU-Fan-For-DELL-Inspiron-14R-N4110-MF60100V1-Q032-G99-/191083203993?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Mind that it has a longer lead (like 5cm) so you have to tuck it somewhere or the keyboard will bulge when you put the palmrest over.

P.S. I've posted Support Package v1.0.3, nothing major .. just updated Clover and few kexts. 

• 4 weeks later...

Will probably push an updated package to fix keyboard problem with Yosemite Beta. NVRAM saving doesn't work because rc scripts got deprecated. Clover folks have created a daemon that rotates the boot log on boot, but fails to execute shutdown scripts at restart/shutdown. As a result backlight level will not get preserved...

SCT Support Package Version 1.0.4 (July 26th, 2014):

- Clover UEFI updated to rev.2778
- CodecCommander updated to 2.1.2 to support Yosemite
- HWMonitor app updated to utilize native Yosemite drop-down transparency
- Addressed an issue where VoodooPS2 configuration wasn’t picked up in Yosemite resulting in Special key mode being broken

- Kext patches for USB3.0 and Broadcom AirPort reworked to support 10.10
- Added SSD TRIM enabling kext patch, remove it in case your SSD doesn’t need TRIM
- On ESP all kernel extensions moved to Other folder to support  both 10.9 and 10.10 installation
- Temporary using loginwindow hooks in order to call rc script as they are deprecated in Yosemite
- Added KextUtility v2.5.1 for use in Yosemite, using v2.5.6 will break signature on KextExcludeList causing boot failure

@TimeWalker75a - Can you please add the change for L702X/L502X in your support package? I can give the files.

I'd be more than happy to, but there are some constraints with this:

Your models are really fragmented, by this I mean:

1. There are models that use different screen panels with different resolutions (multiple EDID overrides need to be created with fix for HD3000 artifacts). Your daughterboards are probably fragmented as a well, while here with Vostro and Inspiron we only have 2 kinds of boards - with gigabit ethernet and new FL USB3 and fast ethernet with NEC USB3. 

2. To comply with the patches used for ACPI patching I would need to create a BIOS for both 702 and 502, which should include same ACPI fixes we use here.. and also a VBIOS to handle natvie resolution. Here lies a big problem - people who dualboot with Windows will use underclocked BIOSes from kasar to fix the nVidia GPU bugginess, there are different ROMs in BIOS for different GPU device-ids too. I can't accommodate everyone by providing a BIOS for every vcore. Not to mention that there are 3D only models that would need nVidia GPU to be working since the Intel card is disabled. To achieve native resolution on that it's a completely different driver + config settings.

3. More than likely 702 and 502 will use different rootports for hardware, so separate _DSM inejction tables would need to be coded.. 

4. I would need to restructure every bit of the current installer, recode most of the install scripts too and think of a way to plist-buddy chunks of config based on the model selected?

5. Can you provide proper customization images for both models or I would need to draw them too ? 

Saying that you would provide files that work for you doesn't necessarily mean that these files will accommodate everyone....

I'm not sure if I missed it or not, can someone link me to a good wifi replacement to run OS X with & how to replace the card? 

Get an AzureWave AW-NB290, to install it you need to dismantle the entire laptop to get to the daugherboard where the card is seated. Always look t Dell support site for service manuals for your model. Here's one fro 14R.

@ Timewalker75a

Hello!

I don´t want to beg, but can you please make a second version of your for OSX fixed Bios for the L702x (thanks working great for me) with the by KQasar in A19 implemented occed Nviida drivers, if it is for you not to much effort and you have the time for it.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

hello timewalker.

i have a question. can your codeccommander uses other alc2xx codec?

your codeccommander doesn't work in my alc270.

i put update headphone 33. i confirmed log is loop after wakeup.

doesn't your codeccommander lost sound and jack sensor after sleep?

Just a heads up. After updating to Yosemite DP5 standard notification bezels for backlight control and volume control were changed. Another change crucial for us is that by default the sound feedback from adjusting volume is disabled. For Codec Commander to work properly you need to go into Audio preferences and check the corresponding box.

I'd be more than happy to, but there are some constraints with this:

I understand your reservations. I want to help you so that most of the changes you do would require minimal effort.

1. Let's start with one model that I have and I will support - XPS L702X Optimus. This has the NEC USB3.

2. I'm using the patched BIOS for our systems - A19 by kasar and you (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273500-os-x-mountain-lion-install-guide-for-dell-xps-17-l702x-optimus/?p=1865872) with updates to:

- unlocked menus + UEFI Boot

- native speedsteep

- updated cpu microcodes from v23 to v28

- untouched Nvidia GPUs

- updated Intel vbios from 2104 to 2137

- PlatformSmm backported from A12 to fix sleep/wake issues for OS X

The only thing missing is the Quickset patch that you have for Vostro.

I don't require an EDID patch and already get full native resolution without artifacts.

3. I have updated the root ports and other items the way you have the SSDT files for Vostro to maintain compatibility with the installer structure and easier updates.

4. I have also added the plists for codec commander, custom peripherals and Clover patches, again to maintain compatibility with the installer and for easier updates. 

5. I don't have customized images, never had a thing for dell image on either windows or osx.

So when I say I will provide you the files. I mean the files such as plists changes, clover patches, SSDTs, etc. I have everything ready to go.

You do realize that It would require for me to change every bit of the installer package (and handler scripts consequently) in order to add just your model?

CloverUEFI which is ticked and non-visible by default would no longer be a universal package, because I would need to account for your model.. So we are back to OEM folders in order to do that. And as we have found out there are at least 3 models for each Vostro and Inspiron so it makes at least 7 cases of OEM folders with almost identical contents.

OSX Support section currently allows you to select motherboard type, daughterboard type and wireless module type. In order to add your L702x it would need to be restructured to be:

- XPS 17 L702X

-- Mobo

-- Daughter

-- Wireless

- Vostro 3450 & Inspiron N4110

-- Mobo

-- Daughter 

-- Wireless

... with subsequent sections of motherboards (there are 3D models of L702x and there are pure Intel too). Duplicating wireless module section is required if your L702x (and potentially 502x) has different rootport number for the mPCI-E slot. Which I suspect it does.. Or, in that case patchmatic and custom ACPI patches would need to be coded and some information about the model would need to be stored in temp plist in order to set proper rootport number in a blank ACPI table.

Customization is easy .. even though you may not like DELL images doesn't necessarily mean that everyone doesn't, so we have to account for the fact that if there are images present for other two models we can't leave out the XPS line.  

I can't just add your L702x for the sake of adding it and then re-do the entire thing again once another model is introduced (believe me it will, eventually, if I add yours).. so everything has to be done properly right away. If you can come up with a descent structure to accommodate fragmentation I will absolutely add your L702x and other models that will surface eventually. 

Not to mention the thing with custom BIOS i've already pointed out earlier - some might need RAID support (yeah, kasar add this after Brabellbla unlocked it), some may need different voltage mods for nVidia cards. How do you make everyone happy? I'm not doing 20 custom BIOSes for sure. Besides, PlatformSmm backporting is the thing of the past - it's not needed. The problem with broken sleep was related to DoiX and other people using their DSDTs from old BIOSes and thus causing OperationRegion mismatches.. resulting in broken sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

First off id like to thank the OP for creating this amazing guide. I ran hackintoshes back in the day but have been out of it for quite some time. This guide was a breeze to follow. I installed it on my dell n4110. Everything works flawless. Even the webcam. I thank the magicians out there who have done all the hard work.

Pick know that my wifi doesn't work because it's unsupported. So I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation on where to pick up a compatible wifi card... Can I use any genuine Mac book pro wifi card?

TIA

Thank you.

Your best bet for wireless and BT combo would be to get an AzureWave AW-NB290 card since (around 9$ on eBay) it delivers BT 3.0 which is compatible with New AirDrop in Yosemite. If you want to go a step ahead with BT4.0 and ac standard I'm not sure which one to suggest, as the only non-Apple branded cards will give you headaches in terms of how many patches you would need to apply to make it work. For Apple branded modules - you can't use them with 14R because the cards is half length, while all the older modules are full length mPCI-E, but newer cards that use proprietary 18-pin connector and won't fit a regular slot.

Thank you.

Your best bet for wireless and BT combo would be to get an AzureWave AW-NB290 card since (around 9$ on eBay) it delivers BT 3.0 which is compatible with New AirDrop in Yosemite. If you want to go a step ahead with BT4.0 and ac standard I'm not sure which one to suggest, as the only non-Apple branded cards will give you headaches in terms of how many patches you would need to apply to make it work. For Apple branded modules - you can't use them with 14R because the cards is half length, while all the older modules are full length mPCI-E, but newer cards that use proprietary 18-pin connector and won't fit a regular slot.

Thank you

I picked up this:

http://m.ebay.ca/orderDetails?itemId=251127620526&txnId=1500130878015

The last piece to a perfect hackintosh.

I look forward to upgrading to 10.10 when the time comes.

So I've been running my Dell for a few days and its been rock solid! Plugged via ethernet till my wireless card shows up. Battery Life is actually pretty damn good! With the screen on and just sitting there i got a solid 6.5 hours with 12% left!

Is anyone running Yosemite? I was debating on installing it. I'll just Time Machine before i do it.

Also does anyone have airplay working? From what our graphics cards intel 3000 are compatible. I changed in the BIOS the display to IGD instead of auto but didn't resolve the issue.

TIA

I'm running Yosemite DP6, everything works fine. Wish my almost 3 year old battery with 42% wear would hold that long, probably need to pick up a new one (a 9-cell perhaps?), OSX advises me to replace it for well over 4 month now ..

I've updated EAPD codec commander (local branch, not pushed to git yet) to better handle new algos of AppleHDA. 

In the meantime I'm trying to adapt the classic i8k utility for legacy DELL machines. So far it works and you can control the fan far better than we are doing it right now. I have rewritten both the kext and the app to remove lag and to interface EC ram and read data from SMC keys, not spam DELL's DIAG protocol. I'm having a lot of trouble with objective c and Cocoa .. so if anyone is capable of programming these I would appreciate any help in finishing the app, because the kext is complete, but is useless without the app.

Also, Web Civilian and I have teamed up for a small project update in regards to OSX support on DELL Tiano 2.0 machines .. which is complete, but since there are a couple of caveats hanging in mid-air I'm hesitant to push the result of our cooperation. Hint-hint, it's support for 17" model of the infamous XPS platform .. From what I saw, he has AirPlay working with his laptop, the only difference is that he uses MacBookPro8,3 identifier, whilst we use 8,1. Shouldn't be a problem, since, like you say, HD3000 supports it. 

P.S. Don't tamper with these BIOS settings too much, you can end up with a pricy brick as these settings get stored in NVRAM, not CMOS. And that can only be reset via PFlash.efi ...

Oh, I forgot one important bit.. @dmazar updated AptioFix, which can now finally support our retarded firmware. This means we finally got native NVRAM support and can get rid of EmuVariable and shutdown scripts (which are deprecated in Yosemite, by the way). The only problem from switching the drivers I got was loosing Messages and FaceTime .. had to contact support to get authorized back.