OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

Anyone with AMD switchable graphics willing to try this? 

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=2562&view=findpost&p=40067

Supposedly someone has enabled AMD SG as a dedicated renderer which outputs image to LVDS too..

The mentioned FixEDID app can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290130-fixedid-v20-application-to-generate-overrides-automatically-for-apple-displays/

Anyone with AMD switchable graphics willing to try this? 

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=2562&view=findpost&p=40067

Supposedly someone has enabled AMD SG as a dedicated renderer which outputs image to LVDS too..

The mentioned FixEDID app can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290130-fixedid-v20-application-to-generate-overrides-automatically-for-apple-displays/

hey TW, i have this idea before, but question is how dump video bios rom ? as he mentioned setting 6490m fb to "Ipomoea", 14R has AMD 6630m (mask is 6750M). i should read more about it, then give a try. 

You get PhoenixTool v2.19 or later and open up the PF.WPH (bios capsule meant for PFlash).

There are two possible ROMs on our laptops because they shipped with AMD 6630M and 6470M graphics.

The GUIDs of these roms are the following:

ATI VER013.011.000.003.039616         
FE528F84-1FEA-4F85-985C-49741A814B62_1_xxx.ROM 
Dell Nirvana R01 Whistler LP DDR3 128Mx16 450E/790M  

ATI VER013.011.000.002.039580         
470EED5D-FE65-4ABE-A198-095127838797_1_xxx.ROM 
Dell/Quanta Queen R01 SEYMOUR XT DDR3 64Mx16 512MB 

(xxx depends on BIOS version)

Probably would be the same framebuffer as his 6490M, because it's the same switchable graphics technology after all. 

I just test this method get AMD GPU detected, but there is some problem like mouse lag seems need properly gfxcontrol policy, here is the log:

3/13/14 10:42:51.000 PM kernel[0]: /SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.5.15/src/ApplePolicyControl/src/GfxPolicyControl.cpp:830 Assertion failed: pfbdev_ret 

3/13/14 10:42:51.000 PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform

post-459659-0-90741200-1394722217_thumb.png

post-459659-0-50427000-1394722264_thumb.png

post-459659-0-19683800-1394722353_thumb.png

I just test this method get AMD GPU detected, but there is some problem like mouse lag seems need properly gfxcontrol policy, here is the log:

Those messages are caused because the ProductName is defined as MacBookPro8,1, but the macbook pro 8,1 doesn't have discrete graphics, so you need to change it to 8,2 or 8,3.  The first message disappear and the second turns to :

[AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor1002Device6741

I've tried to make the discrete graphics work, but I only get the card to be recognized by the osx, without display. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the FixEDID app and the DisplayMerge kext. How did you do to get the display working?

I'm sure this has been answered before and I'm just getting confused, but my sound only occasionally will cut out on wake. Mostly, it stops working (even with CodecCommander and patched AppleHDA and new SSDTs etc, even using the predefined package) but there have been quite a few times where it's come back right away without reboot.

I apologize for asking questions in this regard, but I'm not sure if this is a bug of sorts or just me missing/not understanding something.

Side note: I changed my SSDTs from the N4110 (which they had been since I got the system working) to Vostro 3450 SSDTs, and the display artifacts from before significantly decreased. Unfortunately, there are still some minor cases where artifacts pop up, but not nearly as badly as before.

Those messages are caused because the ProductName is defined as MacBookPro8,1, but the macbook pro 8,1 doesn't have discrete graphics, so you need to change it to 8,2 or 8,3. The first message disappear and the second turns to :

I've tried to make the discrete graphics work, but I only get the card to be recognized by the osx, without display. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the FixEDID app and the DisplayMerge kext. How did you do to get the display working?

i do this after make it work on the first place and no more errors. u can see from picture i work only using hdmi outputting which is not real lvds connector, so even i correct agpm, i sitll get mouse lag.

One mote thing, i use ati rom decode tool to get connector information from video card bios, the result is no connector info output. therefore, i think it's not possible to make hybrid GPU work properly by far.

For displaymerge.kext, u can use edidfix.app, and use darwindump first to dump edid.hex info, the open edidfix, press patch edid, choose your own file and select your display type.then u will get it.

I'm sure this has been answered before and I'm just getting confused, but my sound only occasionally will cut out on wake. Mostly, it stops working (even with CodecCommander and patched AppleHDA and new SSDTs etc, even using the predefined package) but there have been quite a few times where it's come back right away without reboot.

I apologize for asking questions in this regard, but I'm not sure if this is a bug of sorts or just me missing/not understanding something.

Side note: I changed my SSDTs from the N4110 (which they had been since I got the system working) to Vostro 3450 SSDTs, and the display artifacts from before significantly decreased. Unfortunately, there are still some minor cases where artifacts pop up, but not nearly as badly as before.

the delay steam sound is normal, u can read tw'explanation, About ssdt,the latest installer package only has one inside for Intel gpu, there is a ssdt-2 for amd gpu,so, you know which you should use.

the delay steam sound is normal, u can read tw'explanation

It's not necessarily that it delays, but rather it just stops working until I reboot. I know this is due to the ALC269 codec, but I don't understand why it only sometimes works; it seems to be something that either always works or never works, from what I've read. It seems to be up to luck for me, though.

@Zprood  I couldn't make it work. I removed _OFF command from the dsdt's, changed config.plist to load ati vbios, set the fbname to Ipomoea and I get an interesting thing from dmesg:

ATY,Ipomoea: Not usable

So it can't use it, maybe it is the framebuffer or even some pcie BIOS settings?

@Zprood  I couldn't make it work. I removed _OFF command from the dsdt's, changed config.plist to load ati vbios, set the fbname to Ipomoea and I get an interesting thing from dmesg:

So it can't use it, maybe it is the framebuffer or even some pcie BIOS settings?

u don't need edit the config.plist, just put your video card rom to OEM folder, and change the name as clover wiki spec. then boots up into clover GUI, press clover setting, navigate to graphicsxxx, select the inject and loadVbios, manually input fb name as  "Ipomoea".

You should have just installed everything from the package file, it would have removed old junk and put new files in place. Generally what you are describing may be caused by my dumb mistake, which I made at some point while uploading files related to revised backlight control. Go to System Preferences - Sound - Input and check if Mic is present.. if it's not, go to System/Library/Extensions and show bundle contents for CustomPeripheral.kext .. then open up the info.plist and check the BundleRequired string .. if it's says Safe Boot - this is the problem.. it should be Root. The problem here is that pinconfig data is not being loaded for the codec, so AppleHDA only reads certain info about speaker straight from the chip and the rest is unknown .. so the nodes that should be disabled are not and cause all sorts of internal confusion in the codec..

In regards yo screen artefacts on your laptop - please remind us what kind of screen do you have ? Ie device ID for vendor and product .. we are still missing one DisplayOverride for LGD 9DMK2  - [30e4:2e9] (produced early 2010)

so this may be the reason you are seeing screen glitches. Need to come up with a proper profile, so you could be a lab rat of sorts ;)

i do this after make it work on the first place and no more errors. u can see from picture i work only using hdmi outputting which is not real lvds connector, so even i correct agpm, i sitll get mouse lag.

3 things here to consider:

- your 6af DisplayOverride may be causing the DisplayMergeNub kext info to be ingnored by the system

- you may have to change the config platform model to MacBookPro8,2 .. as suggested

- you need to remove the _OFF call from SSDT-2 to prevent the card from being disabled at system start

can you help me to add windows 8.1? I finish installing mavericks in my dell vostro 3450 all good except for wifi card. I want to dual boot it with windows 8.1 please help me

We have zero information about your setup, how do you expect us to help?

what is your disk setup ? 

- is it one disk, two disks (system disks + caddy) .. ?

- is it internal disk + external USB3.0 disk ?

1. if it's one disk, then I would only assume it's formatted with GPT partition scheme and you want Win8.1 on there ... I don't know about 8.1, but when you try to install Windows 7 UEFI after you installed OSX the setup won't let you choose any disks.. so you have to install Windows first and only then OSX. If it's not the case with WIn8.1, then go to Disk Utility, select your only disk 

http://puu.sh/7uJB5.png

- drag the corner marker up and decide what is the desired size of Windows partition that you want http://puu.sh/7uJD5.png

- press + sign to add a partition, format it as fat32 for now http://puu.sh/7uJFi.png

- press apply

2. if it's two separate disks that you have in your laptop, then just go and install windows onto the second disk .. is there any problem with that process ? 

- your 6af DisplayOverride may be causing the DisplayMergeNub kext info to be ingnored by the system

- you may have to change the config platform model to MacBookPro8,2 .. as suggested

- you need to remove the _OFF call from SSDT-2 to prevent the card from being disabled at system start

i have done all the considers, the result is mouse still lags. 2&3 shouldn't cause this issue, so it might be the problem of EDID. Anyway, even AMD gets work, but performance is bad as well cause outputting is through HDMI not real LVDS.

Also i use radon tool the decode the connector information from video card ROM,  the result is empty just some information like device id etc.  

i have done all the considers, the result is mouse still lags. 2&3 shouldn't cause this issue, so it might be the problem of EDID. Anyway, even AMD gets work, but performance is bad as well cause outputting is through HDMI not real LVDS.

Also i use radon tool the decode the connector information from video card ROM,  the result is empty just some information like device id etc.  

Technically it doesn't have any connectors, it's only a hardware renderer core. All the physical connectors are attached to IGPU.

We have either Whistler or Seymour

7uTg8.png

so, i can draw a conclusion that it's impossible to make it work under mac os x ? 

EDIT:

after update to 10.9.3 beta 2 version, no more mouse lag, OpenGL is higher than 10.9.3 beta1. 

hi tw, i just find the website for unlock bios. is that possible to disable intel hd3000 and only get AMD GPU to output ?

http://forums.leshcatlabs.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62

so, i can draw a conclusion that it's impossible to make it work under mac os x ? 

EDIT:

after update to 10.9.3 beta 2 version, no more mouse lag, OpenGL is higher than 10.9.3 beta1. 

hi tw, i just find the website for unlock bios. is that possible to disable intel hd3000 and only get AMD GPU to output ?

http://forums.leshcatlabs.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62

Well, Apple uses similar technology and I highly doubt their AMD roms on MAcBookPro8,x are any different in terms of connectors .. I suppose they are switching output though, while on DELL output is not switched, but passed to Intel IGPU.

Your BIOS is already unlocked, but you can't make AMD your primary GFX card, because of reasons outlined in the laptop schematic above - all the ports (HDMi, VGA, LVDS) are connected to Chipset and not your AMD GPU, which is just an additional PCI-E renderer ... 

Well, Apple uses similar technology and I highly doubt their AMD roms on MAcBookPro8,x are any different in terms of connectors .. I suppose they are switching output though, while on DELL output is not switched, but passed to Intel IGPU.

Your BIOS is already unlocked, but you can't make AMD your primary GFX card, because of reasons outlined in the laptop schematic above - all the ports (HDMi, VGA, LVDS) are connected to Chipset and not your AMD GPU, which is just an additional PCI-E renderer ... 

yeah, i see it in the forum, but unluckily there is a no way to achieve it only disable .

You should have just installed everything from the package file, it would have removed old junk and put new files in place. Generally what you are describing may be caused by my dumb mistake, which I made at some point while uploading files related to revised backlight control. Go to System Preferences - Sound - Input and check if Mic is present.. if it's not, go to System/Library/Extensions and show bundle contents for CustomPeripheral.kext .. then open up the info.plist and check the BundleRequired string .. if it's says Safe Boot - this is the problem.. it should be Root. The problem here is that pinconfig data is not being loaded for the codec, so AppleHDA only reads certain info about speaker straight from the chip and the rest is unknown .. so the nodes that should be disabled are not and cause all sorts of internal confusion in the codec..

In regards yo screen artefacts on your laptop - please remind us what kind of screen do you have ? Ie device ID for vendor and product .. we are still missing one DisplayOverride for LGD 9DMK2  - [30e4:2e9] (produced early 2010)

so this may be the reason you are seeing screen glitches. Need to come up with a proper profile, so you could be a lab rat of sorts ;)

Removed Safe Boot and it appears to be working. Awesome that the mic is working now, too!

I have the mentioned LGD 9DMK2. I'll be willing to test anything OS-end, definitely.

The installation process is usually 2 stage process and you will be required to perform the Space trick twice to finish the installation successfully.

Hello, maybe someone can explain to me the second stage, which "uefi clover usb" option i should use? First I put the usb drive with UEFI clover, then i put the usb drive with OS X Mavericks and turn on laptop. Press F12 and choose USB Storage Device, then appears screen with UEFI CLOVER USB, I press Space button and select Boot with Injected kexts, then I install OS X Mavericks and rebooting laptop. So what's next? Again load UEFI CLOVER USB with F12 and press space button? If yes, so which option select now? Thanks

I'm use Dell Vostro 3450

Intel® Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30G

4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz

HM67 Express Chipset Family

Centrino Wireless-N 1030

Intel HD Graphics 3000

OS X Mavericks installed in HDD, but can't boot till OS X Mavericks welcome screen, stops at this:

[iOBluetoothHCIController][staticBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowUp] -- Received Bluetooth Controller register service notification -- 0xb000 ****

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

**** [iOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][configurePM] -- ERROR -- waited 30 seconds and still did not get the commandWakeup () notification -- 0xb000 ****

[iOBluetoothHCIController: :setConfigState] calling register Service

**** [iOBluetoothHCIController][protectedBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUp] -- connected to the transport successfully -- 0xf6c0 -- 0x7000 -- 0xb000 ****

consider RebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

boot without caches and with injected kexts.

I have the mentioned LGD 9DMK2. I'll be willing to test anything OS-end, definitely.

Get demo of SwitchResX 4 and install it, go to System Preferences and select SwitchResX .. when it opens go to Unknown Monitor (your laptop screen won't have any name because theres no display override for it) and go to Custom Resolutions section.  Press + at the bottom, a windows will open up. The field Scan rate vertical will have a value of about 60Hz, but not quite 60 Hz. Lower the value by 3-4 Hz and press ok, then apply the custom resolution and reboot. When you reboot navigate to same place and look for Status column, it should say Active if your custom resolution was applied successfully. If artifacts will keep appearing try decreasing the rate a bit more (by 1-2 Hz).