OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

With all the great stuff you provide for people with the Vostro and Inspiron laptops, my comment is pretty trite, but I wanted to thank you for the part about modding the system profiler.  That was a nice touch and, of course, it can work on any laptop running OS X.  Good work on this tutorial.

well done TW, already apply to my 14R, all work like charm, thank you.  :thumbsup_anim:

RehabMan has included our profile (with exception of touchpad and 3 finger actions) into the sources... so with every  update of VoodooPS2 this functionality should be supported out of the box.

I'm currently trying to add memory temperature sensor to hwmonitor, but the name it ends up with is vague ... I will clarify this with kozlek.. so far it's looks dumb:

7aaGT.png

If all else fails, I can fork and modify the sources I guess.. 

Edit: 

Yeah, it appears to be defined in Hackintosh.plist

7ab7x.png

Edit2: 

Seems about right:

7abi5.png

With all the great stuff you provide for people with the Vostro and Inspiron laptops, my comment is pretty trite, but I wanted to thank you for the part about modding the system profiler.  That was a nice touch and, of course, it can work on any laptop running OS X.  Good work on this tutorial.

Good to hear that it helps more people than this guide is initially targeting. Thanks for your comment.

RehabMan has included our profile (with exception of touchpad and 3 finger actions) into the sources... so with every  update of VoodooPS2 this functionality should be supported out of the box.

Do you need custom 3-finger actions in your profile? If so submit them. The defaults usually work pretty well for most people though...

We sort of established that we map 3 fingers up for show desktop and 3 down for expose.

Now thinking about it we better map these functions to F6 and F3 respectively, because these are the keys that should not be pressed via Fn when keys are in special mode.. Because Fn+F3 will trigger the LED and Fn+F6 will change keyboard backlight level.

<key>ActionSwipeDown</key>
<string>63 d, 63 u</string>
<key>ActionSwipeUp</key>
<string>61 d, 61 u</string>

We sort of established that we map 3 fingers up for show desktop and 3 down for expose.

Now thinking about it we better map these functions to F6 and F3 respectively, because these are the keys that should not be pressed via Fn when keys are in special mode.. Because Fn+F3 will trigger the LED and Fn+F6 will change keyboard backlight level.

<key>ActionSwipeDown</key>
<string>63 d, 63 u</string>
<key>ActionSwipeUp</key>
<string>61 d, 61 u</string>

Any custom actions you want can be provided in the "Platform Profile". Just let me know what you want them to be. I prefer the Ctrl+Command+Arrows, because they correspond nicely to directions, but it is not for everyone.

An there is actually 4 actions (Right and Left too).

If I ever get around to fixing/finishing the prefpane, these kind of things could be a user-pref.

I've posted over at TonyMac's too .. 

I'm quite aware about the possibilities of remapping. These are all the actions we need here.. Default actions for sideways swipes are fine for us. Up and down (at least what I really got accustomed to esp when you need quick access to desktop or any windows that you may have lost due to having multiple windows open) is what needs to be remapped. 

Any custom actions you want can be provided in the "Platform Profile". Just let me know what you want them to be. I prefer the Ctrl+Command+Arrows, because they correspond nicely to directions, but it is not for everyone.

An there is actually 4 actions (Right and Left too).

If I ever get around to fixing/finishing the prefpane, these kind of things could be a user-pref.

Yeah, PrefPane would be a good thing to have for this kind of stuff.. remapping can get tedious.

Update 10.9.2 got pushed to AppStore a couple of hours ago. Since you are not among people who discuss pre-release software I guess I can now safely as you a question. I've seen that you have been using my CodecCommander on one of your machines. Does it properly re-enable EAPD in all the cases for you? I wonder how behavior changes for you after 10.9.2 update, because AppleHDA 2.6.0 brought some dramatic changes in regards to codec power management.

I've posted over at TonyMac's too .. 

I'm quite aware about the possibilities of remapping. These are all the actions we need here.. Default actions for sideways swipes are fine for us. Up and down (at least what I really got accustomed to esp when you need quick access to desktop or any windows that you may have lost due to having multiple windows open) is what needs to be remapped. 

Yeah, PrefPane would be a good thing to have for this kind of stuff.. remapping can get tedious.

Update 10.9.2 got pushed to AppStore a couple of hours ago. Since you are not among people who discuss pre-release software I guess I can now safely as you a question. I've seen that you have been using my CodecCommander on one of your machines. Does it properly re-enable EAPD in all the cases for you? I wonder how behavior changes for you after 10.9.2 update, because AppleHDA 2.6.0 brought some dramatic changes in regards to codec power management.

So, github.com/Dolnor is you!?

I've not updated any machines to 10.9.2 yet. But am about to try on my desktop. Assuming it goes well, next is my two ProBooks, then the Lenovo U430 (where CodecCommander is used).

I actually had a question on the CodecCommander... Looking at my codec dump, I've got two sets of speakers connected to EAPD amp. "Speaker at Int", node 0x14 and "Speaker at Ext Rear", node 0x1b, plus headphones "HP Out at Ext Left", node 0x21. It works as far as I can tell only enabling 0x14 and 0x21 as the kext can only enable two outputs. I was thinking of making it more flexible where the nodes to reset were in an array (so an unlimited number of nodes could be handled). Do you think it is necessary? Keep in mind I have very little understanding of HDA (having not read the spec).

So, github.com/Dolnor is you!?

I've not updated any machines to 10.9.2 yet. But am about to try on my desktop. Assuming it goes well, next is my two ProBooks, then the Lenovo U430 (where CodecCommander is used).

I actually had a question on the CodecCommander... Looking at my codec dump, I've got two sets of speakers connected to EAPD amp. "Speaker at Int", node 0x14 and "Speaker at Ext Rear", node 0x1b, plus headphones "HP Out at Ext Left", node 0x21. It works as far as I can tell only enabling 0x14 and 0x21 as the kext can only enable two outputs. I was thinking of making it more flexible where the nodes to reset were in an array (so an unlimited number of nodes could be handled). Do you think it is necessary? Keep in mind I have very little understanding of HDA (having not read the spec).

Yeah, It's me (alter ego hehe) ... having little experience in coding IOKit (and some background with C++ and C#) CodecCommander was a quest of life and death.

7ahGN.png

You can get the hang of the algo of immediate response mechanism by reading the PIOReadme, it's nothing complex.. and since this method of addressing the codec is never used by Apple it can be safely used for these kind of purposes (hence the reason I implemented a workloop to parse EAPD state from IRR response).

There are more and more laptops coming out with separate speakers for 2 channels or laptops incorporating subwoofers. It sure can be an advantage to have an array of nodes to send command to, but I have no way to debug this (nor had I way to debug sending the verbs to headphones and speakers consequently). 

You can extend partition *1* from free space only if it was partitioned by disk utility previously and there was some free space left on disk.

In case your *3* is an actual partition that is empty you can try to delete it from disk utility and then extend the primary partition with free space.

That is, assuming it will actually allow you to delete partition *3* when you select your disk and go to Partition section, then select *3* and press "-" button. If it lets you- good. When partition is gone drag the corner of your partition *1* all the way to the bottom of the partition layout and it will extend it with free space.

RehabMan has included our profile (with exception of touchpad and 3 finger actions) into the sources... so with every update of VoodooPS2 this functionality should be supported out of the box.

I'm currently trying to add memory temperature sensor to hwmonitor, but the name it ends up with is vague ... I will clarify this with kozlek.. so far it's looks dumb:

7aaGT.png

If all else fails, I can fork and modify the sources I guess..

Edit:

Yeah, it appears to be defined in Hackintosh.plist

7ab7x.png

Edit2:

Seems about right:

7abi5.png

Good to hear that it helps more people than this guide is initially targeting. Thanks for your comment.

i see that, so manually add swipe back/forward with CMD+[/],btw this version is more smooth than ever, cause when i tape touchpad the cursor jumps, now it's more stable.

Mentioned about temps sensors, i have one problem when i add register VGAT under ec to ssdt for reading by hwmonitor, VGAT should be ipgu's sensor by using RW+aida64. i saw the pcie-gpu is defined method TCGC in the source(mbp8.1 is tphc method), but it failes when i add it.

So far it is working on 10.9.2 just as well as with 10.9.1. Applied patches to 10.9.2 AppleHDA.kext (2.6.0f1), of course....

i installed voodooPS2 and ACPIBacklight. i applied DSDT patch from dsdt_and_kext_patches. compiled SSDT-2 all function key are working fine (i assume f2 doesn't work yet) but if i try to open SSDT-2 a error appear.

aml.png

when i click ok, show this message "Could not parse ACPI tables, AE_NOT_FOUND"

here is my config.plist and preboot.log just in case that i did something wrong. beside that i wonder if i have to drop table CpuPm?

Archive.zip

So far it is working on 10.9.2 just as well as with 10.9.1. Applied patches to 10.9.2 AppleHDA.kext (2.6.0f1), of course....

Thanks for providing your feedback. I know that the code needs some serious refactoring done and probably some optimizations too (there are definitely release() missing for some OS variables). Eventually I will carve some time for this and hopefully come up with an algo to parse an array of nodes to update.

i installed voodooPS2 and ACPIBacklight. i applied DSDT patch from dsdt_and_kext_patches. compiled SSDT-2 all function key are working fine (i assume f2 doesn't work yet) but if i try to open SSDT-2 a error appear.

when i click ok, show this message "Could not parse ACPI tables, AE_NOT_FOUND"

here is my config.plist and preboot.log just in case that i did something wrong. beside that i wonder if i have to drop table CpuPm?

The table has too many external declarations and probably fails to be decompiled properly. MacIASL fails to decompile it properly too, because it can't tell what belongs were due to having many external variables. Yeah you can drop CpuPm too, it doesn't do anything after all ..

yeah, but it still has a value in windows when i switch to IGPU only, okay, check it again. 

In windows the rendering core (I can't call it a discrete card) can be switched to, so there is certain point in monitoring the temp for it. In OSX, however, I see no point in doing this, since you are not using the core it won't get hot or cold, it remains idle and it's temp will depend only on the temp of the heat pipe of the heatsink that is attached to CPU and is common for both PCH, CPU and GPU Dies. 

the real situation is this, I believe that would have to remove any partitions to make esa union between partitions! Is it possible to do using gparted in linux?

Doesn't it allow you to do this?

7aWj5.png7aWjx.png

thanks tw for you quick reply, so do my system need to drop CpuPm table or not? meanwhile, i'm going to update to 10.9.2 i already have a 9.1 backup just in case 9.2 run hot. cause my system is running cooled on 9.1

UPD: here we go, i updated to 9.2 and now usb3 doesn't work.

In windows the rendering core (I can't call it a discrete card) can be switched to, so there is certain point in monitoring the temp for it. In OSX, however, I see no point in doing this, since you are not using the core it won't get hot or cold, it remains idle and it's temp will depend only on the temp of the heat pipe of the heatsink that is attached to CPU and is common for both PCH, CPU and GPU Dies. 

Thanks for your reply.

thanks tw for you quick reply, so do my system need to drop CpuPm table or not? meanwhile, i'm going to update to 10.9.2 i already have a 9.1 backup just in case 9.2 run hot. cause my system is running cooled on 9.1

UPD: here we go, i updated to 9.2 and now usb3 doesn't work.

I assume you have a NEC chipset? Because Fresco Logic keeps working here as it did since 10.8.2. Check out if all the binary pattern from Search from the patches for AppleUSBXHCI (IOUSBFamily/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCI/Contents/MacOS binary) are there using a HEX editor  (HexFiend or something)... and if some are not then anymore I'll have to dig into that. 

Thanks for providing your feedback. I know that the code needs some serious refactoring done and probably some optimizations too (there are definitely release() missing for some OS variables). Eventually I will carve some time for this and hopefully come up with an algo to parse an array of nodes to update.

Maybe I'll get to it before you...

The table has too many external declarations and probably fails to be decompiled properly. MacIASL fails to decompile it properly too, because it can't tell what belongs were due to having many external variables. Yeah you can drop CpuPm too, it doesn't do anything after all ..

Correct disassembly is key. Collect all DSDT/SSDTs in one directory, then disassemble them together:

iasl -da *.aml
There will usually still be errors (bugs in the disassembler, or externs that are actually in Windows itself). Much easier to fix the remaining ones than trying to fix all that result from standalone disassembly.

Hey guys, i just update 10.9.2, it seems that some changes have been made, so logs come here :

2/26/14 11:00:06.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:00:06.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:00:56.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:00:56.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:01:46.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:01:46.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:02:36.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181
2/26/14 11:02:36.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2181

Edit:

After zero the "Sound assertion in" solve it. More thing i notice, when i press Fn+F4/5 to adjust brightness, sometimes one hit cause two steps, it happens when u suddenly press key. 

Hmm, not getting any assertions here. Will check what procedure produces this particular assertion code.

Maybe I'll get to it before you...

Correct disassembly is key. Collect all DSDT/SSDTs in one directory, then disassemble them together:

iasl -da *.aml
There will usually still be errors (bugs in the disassembler, or externs that are actually in Windows itself). Much easier to fix the remaining ones than trying to fix all that result from standalone disassembly.

I would be glad if you can improve it and make it more universal as with my little IOKit coding experience I have a hard time making drastic changes to it. Hopefully I can then sync your changes into my repo. 

Re: decompiling. We don't handle DSDT manually, it remains in the BIOS and upon being passed to OSX ACPI interpreter the patches get applied to it. So unless it's extracted from the system via DarwinDumper, IOReg (ACPIPlatformExpert - ACPI Tables) or by any other means that would produce a binary output such decompilation isn't possible.

Hey guys, i just update 10.9.2, it seems that some changes have been made, so logs come here :

Edit:

After zero the "Sound assertion in" solve it. More thing i notice, when i press Fn+F4/5 to adjust brightness, sometimes one hit cause two steps, it happens when u suddenly press key. 

Have you deleted IOWMIFamily and removed the patch to override AMW0? Because I'm not seeing any of "double" brightness changes here no matter how I adjust the backlight level. In case you still have WMIFamily installed it would generate secondary NX_BRIGHTNESS event into the system.

Zeroing out the string is a junkie move, the assertion is still there and you need to find the cause of it.

The assertion is produced by AppleHDAWidget::pinDefaultDeviceType() so it's something caused by the changes you made to the pinConfig (ConfigData). With my pinConfig I don't get any sound assertions. 

codec commander is not working in lion 10.7.5

not show sound popup 

14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: __ZN9IOService12updateReportEP19IOReportChannelListjPvS2_
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: __ZN9IOService15configureReportEP19IOReportChannelListjPvS2_
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Can't load kext org.tw.CodecCommander - link failed.
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Failed to load executable for kext org.tw.CodecCommander.
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Kext org.tw.CodecCommander failed to load (0xdc008016).
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Failed to load kext org.tw.CodecCommander (error 0xdc008016).
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: __ZN9IOService12updateReportEP19IOReportChannelListjPvS2_
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: kxld[org.tw.CodecCommander]: __ZN9IOService15configureReportEP19IOReportChannelListjPvS2_
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Can't load kext org.tw.CodecCommander - link failed.
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Failed to load executable for kext org.tw.CodecCommander.
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Kext org.tw.CodecCommander failed to load (0xdc008016).
14. 2. 27. 오전 2:21:10.000 kernel: Failed to load kext org.tw.CodecCommander (error 0xdc008016).

Re: decompiling. We don't handle DSDT manually, it remains in the BIOS and upon being passed to OSX ACPI interpreter the patches get applied to it. So unless it's extracted from the system via DarwinDumper, IOReg (ACPIPlatformExpert - ACPI Tables) or by any other means that would produce a binary output such decompilation isn't possible.

Yes... I see...

One "sanity check" you might do is extract each of your DSDT/SSDT tables from ioreg:

- run IORegistryExplorer, search for AppleACPIPlatformExpert, open "ACPI Tables" property

- select each DSDT/SSDT data bits

- select just to the right of the '<', then shift select to the left of '>', copy to clipboard

- in Terminal: 'pbpaste|xxd -r -p>dsdt.aml' for each dsdt, ssdt, ssdt-1, ssdt-2,etc.

Now you have the binaries extracted as injected via Clover. Next step is to verify that iasl can load all of them.

- in that directory (with only the dsdt.aml, ssdt*.aml), in Terminal: 'iasl -da *'

This will cause iasl to create an ACPI namespace, and attempt to load all the AML files into that namespace (same thing OS X must do). Duplicate definitions or injections into scopes which don't exist will cause a problem for both iasl and OS X. If you get a successful load and disassembly of all the binaries, then there is no issue, but if you get errors and failure to disassemble them, you might want to look into why...