OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

@TW, thank to mention about brightness info. i use the rehadman's default patch http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/121031-native-brightness-working-without-blinkscreen-using-patched-applebacklight-kext.html.  After remove the config.plist patch, install the patched kext from rehadman's script and dsdt. works well. But i still have 0 step as black, so i guess you mod the script, right ?

One more thing, i found IOR's about backlight panel value isn't right, real mac has 0x400 max & 0x0 min, but  i have 0x28 mac & 0xff min. 

You have two options here in regards to brightness.

1. To use native AppleBacklight kext with an injection of your panel (no need to use the kext his script produces, we have CustomPeripheral kext and we can use that). We have the info of all 3 displays found on Inspiron and Vostro.. so I've added them to CustomPeripheral injector (not sure about 02e9 display panel).

2. Use ACPIBacklight kext that allows you to have fluent and subtle transition between brightness levels like on real Mac .. but with our stupid WMI keyboard it's not really that subtle, still rough and jumpy, because driver takes time to process WMI packets before sending NX_BRIGHTNESS notifications to system.

You can try both if you like .. I'm still debating on which approach to use.. 

The intel folder includes CustomPeripheral kext with injections for bluetooth and wireless for the AzureWave Broadcom card, the kext included in amd folder doesn't. If you need these injections on your amd machine just take them from intel kext. CustomPeripheral kexts in ACPIBacklight folder are just a roll back (to the one before you tried AppleBacklight) in case you forgot to back up the kext you had before.

I've also included latest HWsensors (you need to replace everything)...

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0dio2mck58t028/Fan%2BBrightness-Control-10.9.2.zip

P.S. Forgot an important bit. In your config edit the 'HDMI+VGA+Brightness' patch (the start of the replace part from it) to 01020300 10070000 10070000

@TW, thank to mention about brightness info. i use the rehadman's default patch http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/121031-native-brightness-working-without-blinkscreen-using-patched-applebacklight-kext.html.  After remove the config.plist patch, install the patched kext from rehadman's script and dsdt. works well. But i still have 0 step as black, so i guess you mod the script, right ?

One more thing, i found IOR's about backlight panel value isn't right, real mac has 0x400 max & 0x0 min, but  i have 0x28 mac & 0xff min.

0 step as black is 'by design'. It is the way Macs work. My Apple MacBookAir is the same.

• Like 1

You need to boot without caches and with injected kexts. Your hard drive on the controller is not being detected. 

I've booted "without caches and with injected kexts" I still cannot boot into installer, I get the message: 

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 35 in context 2 on CPU 0

Please see the screenshots from boot

boot_error_05.jpg

boot_error_06.jpg

Anything else I should try?

Attached files with the wifi signal and ioreg.

I fail to see any issues, make sure your kexts are ok.

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 35 in context 2 on CPU 0

Anything else I should try?

Remove my SSDT table for i3-2350M and enable P and C state generation in clovers config file:

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
			…..

<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>C3Latency</key>
			<integer>250</integer>
			<key>EnableC2</key>
			<false/>
			<key>EnableC4</key>
			<false/>
			<key>EnableC6</key>
			<true/>
			<key>EnableC7</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>

In regards to brightness - I've fixed the bug when it would reboot with display set at full brightness after you adjust backlight in OSX. For this we need RehabMan's ACPIBacklight with subtle level changes. I've noticed that after reset CBLV VGA register is being set with value 0x80000064 and when EC queries perform AND 0xFF on it the result is 0x64 - 100% brightness. I've added a table to check against and set CBLV to a value between stock 6% to 100% with 6% increments. This way laptop reboots with about the same brightness (in BIOS, Clover or Boot Manager) as you had in OSX.

I left the '0' level as backlight off, since it's a feature 'by design' .. 

Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwjhqh8tckl0n26/proper-backlight.zip

@TW, works well from latest acpibacklight as fan control. 

Edit:

i find something in the kernel log:

2/21/14 9:35:19.000 PM kernel[0]: Unable to parse max RPM for fan 1

It seems that acpisensor has detect fan control as real FAN.

@TW, works well from latest acpibacklight as fan control. 

Edit:

i find something in the kernel log:

2/21/14 9:35:19.000 PM kernel[0]: Unable to parse max RPM for fan 1

It seems that acpisensor has detect fan control as real FAN.

glad it works for amd models as well. kudos to RehabMan for finishing what hotKoffy started .. I've tried the kext ages ago (in early 2012) and it didn't work at all. 

fan 1 is actually the system fan, it doesn't know (and has no way to tell) what is the maxim rpm for it. fan0 is fake fan.. and i have no way to make it something else except a fake fan, so pay no attention to it.

@timewalker75a

which patch you used to get control and read speed of  FAN  

my dsdt doesnt have EC device will this effect ?

none. I deciphered what the embedded controller registers are and how to control the fan, then made my own acpi tables and control logic (except average temp part, that was borrowed from Rehab's). this won't affect because you can always add what's missing.. your laptop has to have an embedded controller and you can read all the data from it from RW Everything.

• Like 1

actually i learn os x from 2009, when hotKoffy create post, but i owned a laptop just has ten steps brightness, it is controlled by bios, also doesn't use WMI to control it. so there is no way know how to do it, a friend from chinese forum has a temporary idea, make 6 fake value to BCL, then it has 16 steps to adjust brightness. But the laptop is too old then i bought 14R instead. 

glad it works for amd models as well. kudos to RehabMan for finishing what hotKoffy started .. I've tried the kext ages ago (in early 2012) and it didn't work at all. 

fan 1 is actually the system fan, it doesn't know (and has no way to tell) what is the maxim rpm for it. fan0 is fake fan.. and i have no way to make it something else except a fake fan, so pay no attention to it.

none. I deciphered what the embedded controller registers are and how to control the fan, then made my own acpi tables and control logic (except average temp part, that was borrowed from Rehab's). this won't affect because you can always add what's missing.. your laptop has to have an embedded controller and you can read all the data from it from RW Everything.

i added yours SSDT-1 

but it can't read values :/

post-378955-0-05329100-1393006036_thumb.png