10.4.8 AMD apparently

djpc47

62 posts in this topic

I've just had a thought as I sit here contemplating whether or not to double click the installer icon for 10.4.8:

I installed via JaS 10.4.6 w/ SSE2 [was the only option that worked at the time] and then upgraded to JaS 10.4.7 via update pkg. Will the 10.4.8 installer detect my X2 4200s' SSE3, or will it rely on the existing SSE2 information the system detects?

GBK.Xscape,

I use Newshosting. I have the unlimited download account. It costs $15 a month, but I download A LOT.

For me, it's worth it.

That, and along with Newsleecher, I can usually find anything and everything that I'm looking for. Once in a while, though, like this patch, it happens that it's not on the newsgroups.

--

Getting back to subject... about this upgrade, since I don't have it yet, is it a simple .pkg you click on to install? What this thread reads so far about it, it requires an AMD cpu with SSE3. Simple as that?

In windows with cpuz it showes this

127796.png

and in OSX in the System Profiler i get to see it only supports SSE2

Am i doing something wrong or that's the way it should be!?

I'm in the same boat as you are, and I just installed the update. I'm happy to say it worked *flawlessly*! Enjoy!

Well, I just tried it. It was a BUST with me!

First boot: tons of errors rolling up the screen. Pressed reset button.

Second boot: my hard drive wasn't found. Disk0io error rolling up the screen...strange...because no hardware at all was touched on the system. Pressed reset button.

Third boot: It managed to get into the blue screen with cursor. Then the cursor disappeared, and I'm stuck on the blank blue screen.

Forth, fifth etc...boot: Same as thrid.

System:

AMD64 3000+ Winchester (939)

Ati X1600Pro 512

30 gig Maxtor HDD

512 megs RAM

EDIT:

Searching only found the blue screen on GMQ900 chips. I do not have a GMA900, so that was no help.

This is odd though, I rebooted using the VGA (15-pin) output instead of the DVI w/VGA dongle. I'm still stuck at the blue screen, but now I can see the cursor instead of just an empty blue screen. The refresh rate is a t 85 which tells me the video card drivers are working.

Oh well, I'm off to wipe the drive clear and reinstall again.

so this acually works??!?!

everything 10.4.8 for AMD..?!?...!?1??!

is this release stable and reliable?.!?!..?!

Yes, it's disco.

If you have sse3 of course. :whistle:

Have you tried with bootflags -x and -f ?

If you can boot it to the desktop with -x -f it is maybe just a kext problem.

Also try to boot with -s, do the mount instructions as they tell you and then

type "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" (without the quotes).

Thanks for the tips!

I tried with -x and -s. But not -f. I've already startede over with a clean install of JaS 10.4.7, so I'll have to install the update again and see what happens.

Check my one of my previous posts. I explained what happens.

Maybe since I get an arrow and blue screen that I'm almost there and can somehoe edit a .kext or something.

BTW, xtraa, do you have everything running corrently? QE/CI, SSE3, Quicktime... etc?

EDIT:

Well guess what...for kicks, I checked CPU-Z with my AMD64 3000+ Winchester and lo-n-behold NO SSE3. Ever since I bought this thing over a year ago I swore it had SSE3. A little searching, and I found that SSE3 started with the Venice.

I'll try this patch on my X2 PC.

BTW, xtraa, do you have everything running corrently? QE/CI, SSE3, Quicktime... etc?

Yes everything :) frontrow, udma, wlan, lan, qe/ci, qt, sound, even i-tv works :)

Success!...kind of.

The patch works on my other PC an AMD64 4400+ X2 (this one DOES have SSE3 as opposed to my AMD64 3000+).

About this Mac states 10.4.8, but SSE3 is still not listed and Quicktime still doesn't work. QE/CI and everything else does as far as I can tell.

I have a feeling Quicktime has something to do with the X1000 Boris drivers (I have an X1900XT in this PC) and SSE3 not working. Before the Boris drivers are installed, Quicktime works (QE/CI, DVD player don't), as least it shows a picture. There's no acceleration.

I have a problem with my HDD(again),and i couldn't solve it to install the OS and try the update.When i boot from the install disk the HDD(150 GB Seagate SATA) is not detected properly i guess?The partitions are not mounted and are displayed in grey text.

Here's how my HDD is devided:

WinXP(NTFS) - 20GB - primary

Mac(I tried to partition that one with windows diskpart command,not working.i tried with leaving it unallocated again not working) - 20GB - Primary

Extended

Vista(NTFS) - 20GB - Logical drive

Data(NTFS) - 90GB - Logical drive

When i go and try to format the partition with Disk Utility,when booted from the instalation disk i get the messege that i'll lose all information on all volumes of my disk - something i really don't want to :censored2: .Any advice how to make that partition from Windows!?

Ok, finally found the time to jump and try it (after proper backup).

No problems on install or reboot, no panick attacks, smooth as a morning snowbank created out of dizzying nightly dreamlike snow flurries. Or something like that. Flunk poetry, does it show? :)

So far, only problems are non-working Logic Express (crash) and Filemaker Pro Advanced (just doesn't open, only shows splash, then dies out). Will check later what's the problem; non-critical applications anyway.

MS Office 2004's ok: 10.4.7 Rosetta I guess.

Thanks to TubGirl, or Goatsecx, or... well, whoever wants to stay anonymous.

Your humility honors you.

(and saves you from possible lawsuits of course... ;) )

I have a problem with my HDD(again) (...) HDD(150 GB Seagate SATA) is not detected properly i guess?
If you want to install osx, there are good threads dedicated to this, before the further problem of updating to 10.4.8.

Anyway... what motherboard do you have? Just want to warn you that osx on nforce4 mobo's doesn't handle well sata drives... so if that's your case, get yourself a PATA drive (the ones with the flat ribbon) for osx.

If that's not your case, well discard my comment.

So far, only problems are non-working Logic Express (crash) and Filemaker Pro Advanced (just doesn't open, only shows splash, then dies out). Will check later what's the problem; non-critical applications anyway.

MS Office 2004's ok: 10.4.7 Rosetta I guess.

I'm not on AMD, but i had same problem with Logic on intel SSE3.

I copied back IOKit.framework from 10.4.7 and it solved Logic issue.