[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface2osx)

If it stops during installation and you're installing to the SD card, the device probably went to sleep.

I don't recommend installing on an SD card either; it is recognized as a USB 3 device in OSX and until we solve problems of sleep, it's probably not the best way.

Also, I really recommend everyone patching their own dsdt via rehabman's guide.

The dsdt.aml file works, but it does have a bunch of warnings.

https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

To fix brightness on a resolved dsdt.aml file with no warnings & errors, I did the below:

From Rehabman's patches:

1. Use patch 2.11 (Rename GFX0 to IGPU)

2. Find out the BAR1 for the Intel Corp VGA controller in Windows with RW-Everything

3. Use patch 2.10 (Brighness fix Haswell), modify the patch so "Subtract(\_SB.PCI0.IGPU.BAR1, 4)" is equal to the value you found out for BAR1

and remove "^^PCI0.IGPU._DOS(Arg0)\n"

Only issue for me now is sleep, and perhabs the USB (probably a related issue). My wifi dongle (EDUP N508) works, but seems to crash the entire usb process when I unplug it, so I'm wondering if its drivers from Realtek, or more dsdt patching is needed.

Geekbench2 giving me a 7002 score, pretty happy so far!

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2412644

(surface2osx)

It is installed on a partition in the ssd.

Try booting from the USB into the installer again, but don't run the installer.

Open Terminal from the menu and copy mach_kernel from the USB to where you installed OS X.

Something like below (replace USBDrive and MacintoshOnSSD with your names)

cp -R /Volumes/USBDrive/mach_kernel /Volumes/MacintoshOnSSD/

Try booting from the USB into the installer again, but don't run the installer.

Open Terminal from the menu and copy mach_kernel from the USB to where you installed OS X.

Something like below (replace USBDrive and MacintoshOnSSD with your names)

cp -R /Volumes/USBDrive/mach_kernel /Volumes/MacintoshOnSSD/

Same issue copying mach_kernel so. Loading drivers............ And reboot.

@Dahnark

(surface2osx)

If the files are the same the only thing that i can suppose is that you could have a different firmware on the actual machine.

You can try to clean the disk verifing and repairing permission via disc utility using utility in the installer, cause it seems it get stuck loading the kexts and it seems that it isn't ignoring kext cache...

(surface2osx)

I'm noticing only now that RampageDev posted a clean dsdt with warnings removed to this topic that i had opened the past month, so go check it out.

@Dahnark

(surface2osx)

If the files are the same the only thing that i can suppose is that you could have a different firmware on the actual machine.

You can try to clean the disk verifing and repairing permission via disc utility using utility in the installer, cause it seems it get stuck loading the kexts and it seems that it isn't ignoring kext cache...

(surface2osx)

I'm noticing only now that RampageDev posted a clean dsdt with warnings removed to this topic that i had opened the past month, so go check it out.

I have the latest Firmware of Microsoft (January).

Verification and repairing done. It has changed some of them. Same issue in same position.

(surface2osx)

the problem could be that latest Firmware of Microsoft (January). 

is there someone with the same firmware? Please report.

@rfic

[surfaceOSX]

Brightness control is actually not working, i remember i tried a couple of dsdt patch including the one that works for the sp2 without success. 

Probably if we fix brightness we will fix sleep too.

@Dahnaek which CPU do you have in your SP2? Microsoft did a silent upgrade on the CPU end of December / beginning of january.  It may give different results

(surface2osx)

I'm noticing only now that RampageDev posted a clean dsdt with warnings removed to this topic that i had opened the past month, so go check it out.

That's why I was asking last week what was a "clean" DSDT ;)

@Dahnaek which CPU do you have in your SP2? Microsoft did a silent upgrade on the CPU end of December / beginning of january. It may give different results

That's why I was asking last week what was a "clean" DSDT ;)

I bought the surface pro 2 on end of October.

@macspike

I used the first technique, mostly because I had it already on the usb and just needed to reinstall Clover from a few days ago (been busy). It basically launched like I just bought a brand new computer at the store and I was registering things. Works well, just working from the usb. Trying to figure out how to clone it, but I cant launch into recovery.

(surface2osx)

Regarding sleep, I took a look today, I am able to get the device to go to sleep, but it will wake up immediate due to a device called 'SAM' (as reported in the console: a 'remote wakeup').

I reckon it's some kind of sensor, but i'm not really sure what it is. The usb port that  the 'SAM' device is on is port 3 of the internal usb hub, which seems to be a composite device in Windows.

:-/

I'm wondering if there is a way to disable this 'SAM' device / port, or even all the USB ports when the system goes to sleep, and wake them up when you press the power button.

(surface2osx)

​I got my surface pro 2 and osx installation is stuck on apple logo. Got the spinning beach ball. I have the silent CPU upgrade with Intel 4300U CPU (1.9 GHz) Any suggestions ?

Did you launch in Verbose mode ?

@macspice:

Sorry. Yes i did. Everything seems to Boot Fine. The last step all Terminal commands run and the installer is going to start theScreen hangs with the Apple logo and the beach ball is spinning. Boot with -v -x got the installer running but says cannot install on this maschine only restore it form timemachine Backup.

So something got wrong when the System is trying to start the installer with your config that you posted. 

@macspike or another surface pro 2 user

can you download ioregistryexplorer save as file and share it?

i'm working with RehabMan to fix sleep.

thanks

(Surface2Osx)

Here you are ... I hope you solve it :-)

File is at the end of this post (Surface Pro 2.zip)

does brightness control works? NO, does not work on the Surface Pro 2.

@macspice:

Sorry. Yes i did. Everything seems to Boot Fine. The last step all Terminal commands run and the installer is going to start theScreen hangs with the Apple logo and the beach ball is spinning. Boot with -v -x got the installer running but says cannot install on this maschine only restore it form timemachine Backup.

So something got wrong when the System is trying to start the installer with your config that you posted. 

(Surface2Osx)

A few questions :

You get to the terminal commands, so you installed OSX on the Surface ?

You have to boot without caches and injected kexts (not safe mode) ? Did you try that ?

Surface Pro 2.zip