[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Thanks cs4602!!

(Surfaceosx)

I probably know the answer to this but once everything was running I get new updates for the efi firmware, Remote Desktop client and thunderbolt firmware. I shouldn't install this correct?

I don't think you should as OSX see your hardware as a macbook air 6,3 (or something like that) so it's showing you the updates for that hardware.

@cs4603

i'm using MacOs since version 9 and the virtual keyboard it implements is almost the same from that time, it's NOT multitouch, no sound, easy hiding menu, transparency, and it miss a lot of other things too.

definetly unuseful in 2014.

check out the demo version of corallosoft's keyboard and you'll see.

P.s. 

thanks for helping out other users.

@swyner

On the update windows right click and hide all the f/w related updates.

;)

@cripplediguana

The surface pro got the same hardware (a bit more powerful) of 3years old "not pro" unibody aluminium macbooks, so every app, aperture too, will work perfectly.

The screen is very detailed, and after a good calibration the blacks will be really good, is a good companion for a photographer to postproduce "on the go" and 4gig of ram are enought for almost every raw file ;)

i'm using it with my little baby (5dmkII) 

P.s.

touch is perfect to manipulate pictures in Aperture.

(Surface2Osx)

Well so far I still have a few things annoying me:

1- When I CCC my USB to my SSD (As per Macspike guide), then I boot Clover from the USB and then load OSX on my SSD, it takes about 20 mins to get into OSX and everything is slow as hell...  Anyone else got that? So I still have to boot on my USB key...

2- Audio still not working, I tried different version of VoodooHDA. The sound card is recognized in System report tho.

3- Touch pen drivers from touch base aren'T working great. The pen is completly off and the calibration doesn't work. In the center of the screen it's not bad, but on the sides, it's way off. I sent them an email.

Other than that, it's pretty stable, waitting on my wiifi usb that should be in tomorrow. Would be nice to have all of that fix by tomorrow!! Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, enable the secure boot

Hmm  but, if you enable the secure boot, does Clover still work (?) / can you install Clover on the SSD and use it to boot (and not have the red screen?)

Also, do any of you SP2 guys notice a flashing orange light inside the device, the right of the device after OSX has booted up? (It's like, right where the microsd card slot is)

Hmm  but, if you enable the secure boot, does Clover still work (?) / can you install Clover on the SSD and use it to boot (and not have the red screen?)

Also, do any of you SP2 guys notice a flashing orange light inside the device, the right of the device after OSX has booted up? (It's like, right where the microsd card slot is)

My understanding (I'm not there yet because of the problem explained abive) is that once your bootloader (Clover) installed on the SSD, you should be able to enable the secure boot because you disable it to be able to boot on the USB. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I did observe the light inside the device close to the micro SD slot. Dunno why.

(Surface2OSX)

Hi Everyone,

With the latest filesPackage that you can find at the end of this post, you can make a bootable stick to direct install OSX to your Surface Pro 2.

Direct Install OSX on Surface PRO 2

A. Make a bootable USB Mavericks (Vanilla Installation)

1. Prepare your USB as GUID partition map with a HFS+ partition.
2. Download Mavericks from the APPStore (it will be installed in your application folder) and mount InstallESD (Right click on “Install OS X Mavericks”,  then it's in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg)
3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal: open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
4. Restore “OS X Base System” to your USB
5. Navigate to /System/Installation on your USB drive.

Delete the “Packages” link then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.
6. Install Clover to the pen drive (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/)
• Select your USB Drive and the select “Custom Install”
• Select “Install for UEFI booting only”
• Select Themes
• Select Drivers64UEFI
6. When installation is finished , copy Config.plist from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/
7. Copy dsdt.aml/ssdt-0.aml/ssdt-1.aml from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
8. Copy mach-kernel from attached files to your USB drive
9. Copy the extensions from the attached files to System/Library/Extensions

B. Prepare a partition to install OSX

1. Start Windows 8.1 on your Surface Pro 2
2. Go to the desktop, right click on the "Start" button, and open Disk Management
3. Select the C:\ partition, right click, and go to "Shrink Volume"
4. Enter the new size for the volume and click OK
5. Afterwards, right click on the empty space and select format
Format the new partition as NTFS
6. Shutdown the device

C. Install OSX on the Surface Pro 2

1. Power up holding the volume down, with the USB stick installed
2. Clover will boot up, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext
3. Open Disk Utility once the installer has come up
Locate the newly created NTFS partition and select "erase"
Change the file system to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled)
Exit Disk Utility
4. Install OSX to your the New OSX Partition
• When the Installation is finished. It counting down to restart.
Go before the coundown is ended to the menu and launch the terminal
• If you are to late, boot again with volume down, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext and then start the terminal from the menu
5. Copy the extension
• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/

A Little Trick : Press the Up Arrow key in the command prompt, and you’ll see the most-recently used command. Use your arrow keys to go back and erase FakeSMC.kext and replace it with the other Kexts.

• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBatteryManager.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
• cp –R /mach_kernel /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/

6. Quit terminal and Shut Down the installer

7. Reboot back into Clover (you will need to hold the volume button again)
Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext

D. Post-install

1. Install HWSensors (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/)
2. Install Touch-Base drivers (http://touch-base.com/documentation/SurfacePro.htm)
3. HiDPI

If you just prefer to have a bigger UI, you can enable HiDPI.

this is the mode used by retina displays to show a 2x interface, and this helps for touch and pen inputs

Open the terminal

• type: sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES;
• Then download switchresx to enable custom resolution, from the sresx preference panel add this scaled resolution: 2732x1536
• this will add a 1366x768 Hidpi resolution, great for the surface.

E. Extra Hardware

It's also a good thing to buy a mini USB3-HUB (4 ports), a USB mini Wifi dongle that support OSX EW-7811UN (bought it on Amazon) or an USB Ethernet cable from Apple

Surface Pro 2 OSX FilesPackageV0.3 for OSX 10.9/10.9.1

Surface Pro 2 OSX FilesPackageV0.3 for OSX 10.9.2

• Like 5

Thanks MacSpike

guide and files updated to the main post!

Since i'm removing from it the old surface2 guide by sonicrat, i'm posting it here as reference.

@everyone

keep on using badges, thx

OLD

the guide for the SurfacePro2 is a work in progress,

check this one and macspike's one, read the thread or wait for a update.

Keep in mind that i suggest a direct install to the surface drive

Follow this guide to create a bootable USB Mavericks: Mavericks Vanilla installation

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL CHAMELEON

Download and install Clover to the pen drive (http://sourceforge.n.../cloverefiboot/)

If you wish to repartition your drive, skip the following steps:

Install Mavericks

Prior to restarting, open Terminal

Post-Install Steps:

• Select Custom Install
      • Select UEFI Install
      • Select OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and VBoxHfs-64.efi under Drivers
    • Copy the included mach_kernel to the root of the USB device
    • Copy the included kexts to USB:/System/Library/Extensions
    • Copy the included ACPI patches to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
    • Copy the included config.plist to EFI/CLOVER/
    • Start Windows 8.1
    • Go to the desktop, right click on the "Start" button, and open Disk Management
    • Select the C:\ partition, right click, and go to "Shrink Volume"
    • Enter the new size for the volume and click OK
    • Afterwards, right click on the empty space and select format
    • Format the new partition as NTFS
    • Shutdown the device, then power on holding the volume down key with the USB stick installed
    • Open Disk Utility once the installer has come up
      • Locate the newly created NTFS partition and select "erase"
      • Change the file system to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled)
      • Exit Disk Utility
    • Copy the required kexts to /S/L/E:
    • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
    • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
    • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBatteryManager.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
    • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
    • Reboot back into Clover (you will need to hold the volume button again)
    • Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot
    • Install HWSensors: http://sourceforge.n...ects/hwsensors/
    • Install Touch-Base drivers: http://touch-base.co.../SurfacePro.htm (may not yet support Surface Pro 2, but touch works)
    • Check HiDpi from the first's SurfacePro guide.

​OLD

@macspike

Excellent and easy guide for everyone.

Should the sound be working with these files? Any possibilities to add a section to the guide to have clover installed on the SSD so that we don't need the USB at all and we can dual boot OSX and Windows?

That would make it the perfect guide.

@macspike

Wow!

it's really strange, i've one of those superdrive somewhere i'll definetly try!

i remember it required a hw mod to work on regular pcs! here a link

Now here’s a bit of background. The MBA SuperDrive is designed to work only with the Apple MacBook Air. How is that possible?

Some people have speculated that perhaps the MBA SuperDrive draws more than 500 mA and that the MacBook Air provides more than 500 mA via its USB port. This is not the problem. My attempt at connecting the SuperDrive to several PCs and Macs while injecting additional current using a special cable was unsuccessful...

So, this must be a "gift" from Microsoft.

Clover new version might help fix the sleep problem:

Revision 2525 - hibernation

In 10.8.5 and perhaps later versions of OS X, DSDT method _WAK

# called after resuming from S3 suspend (Sleep, or suspend to RAM),
# is called with garbage in Arg0, where it should be a value
# representing the sleep state being left (1-5).
#
# This causes problems for code in DSDT _WAK method which expects
# and checks against Arg0==3 for wake from sleep to turn on various
# devices or restore internal state to a working state.
#
# This patch adds code at the very beginning of the method to
# force an an out-of-range Arg0 to 3.
#

(surface2osx)

I've managed to get sound on the SP2 via VoodooHDA working (2.8.4)

The Realtek ALC 3230 = ALC 280 Codec (I could not find an AppleHDA patch for this codec)

Vendor ID = 8086

Device ID = 9c20

Had to modify the Info.plist in the stock VoodooHDA.kext or i'd get a kernel panic on boot.

1. Backup and delete AppleHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions

2. Install VoodooHDA.kext from the zip

3. Install VoodooHDA.prefPane to System/Library/PreferencePanes

4. Reboot, don't forget to set your sound output to Speakers in your System Preferences (it might be set on the headphone jack)

https://mega.co.nz/#!VYlH3LJZ!OWfKZ6fT8qfExQl9XXy7tmuaEOk6e7ojH4R4xD_wUWI

Also got some DSDT patches, 1. to fix the brightness controls and 2. a battery DSDT patch following Rehabman's guide (Shows actual time remaining, time to charge and whether you're plugged in or on battery). But i'm getting a weird 'Service Battery' alert though so i'll see if I can resolve this first before sharing.

• Like 1

(surface2osx)

The Realtek ALC 3230 = ALC 280 Codec (I could not find an AppleHDA patch for this codec)

Vendor ID = 8086

Device ID = 9c20

Had to modify the Info.plist in the stock VoodooHDA.kext or i'd get a kernel panic on boot.

4. Reboot, don't forget to set your sound output to Speakers in your System Preferences (it might be set on the headphone jack)

https://mega.co.nz/#!VYlH3LJZ!OWfKZ6fT8qfExQl9XXy7tmuaEOk6e7ojH4R4xD_wUWI

Also got some DSDT patches, 1. to fix the brightness controls and 2. a battery DSDT patch following Rehabman's guide (Shows actual time remaining, time to charge and whether you're plugged in or on battery). But i'm getting a weird 'Service Battery' alert though so i'll see if I can resolve this first before sharing.

Not working for me... When I go in the voodooHDA pref pane, I get the pop up:  No VoodooHDA Devices Detected  :\

Not working for me... When I go in the voodooHDA pref pane, I get the pop up:  No VoodooHDA Devices Detected  :\

Hmm, I didn't use the VoodooHDA from Macspike on my Clover USB or install at all, that could be why.

Try removing it from the Clover drive.

Clover new version might help fix the sleep problem:

Revision 2525 - hibernation

In 10.8.5 and perhaps later versions of OS X, DSDT method _WAK

# called after resuming from S3 suspend (Sleep, or suspend to RAM),

# is called with garbage in Arg0, where it should be a value

# representing the sleep state being left (1-5).

#

# This causes problems for code in DSDT _WAK method which expects

# and checks against Arg0==3 for wake from sleep to turn on various

# devices or restore internal state to a working state.

#

# This patch adds code at the very beginning of the method to

# force an an out-of-range Arg0 to 3.

#

Just to clarify, this comment and patch is from my laptop repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

I'm not sure what it has to do with Clover.

(Surface2osx)

I redid the installation as per macspike guide and I still have the same issue. Slow boot and very slow in OSX when I boot from the SSD. It's much faster when I boot on my USB... Doesn't make sense

Is it possible that we have different hardware? Do we all have the 128GB version of the SP2?

(surface2osx)

(surface2osx)

Vendor ID = 8086

Device ID = 9c20

I came across an issue with Voodoo 2.8.4 where the sound crackled and was distorted throughout the system.

I went back and tried all the Voodoo versions, and found that 2.8.0 seemed to be fine (except the microphone was not working). I patched the nodes in the info.plist, and hurrah. Working sound and mic.

Updated zip here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!5ZN1yZhI!ffq6q9a5Y8HZcvacbUyK6Mz0JE9IMnygJtI1UC0s61w

PS. You will want to get rid of the original VoodooHDA, and also backup and delete AppleHDA.

Might give patching the original AppleHDA a go if I get bored sometime... 
  • Like 2