ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

mr. west

220 posts in this topic

Heres 4.5Ghz with bclck OC and Ram at 2000Mhz CL11 in 10.9

f7JJfEus.png

About 600 points higher than 10.8.5

Nice one.  I pushed my 4930k to 4.5 and got this result:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/125656

24,000+.  Not bad.  But with that aggressive overclock it was only recognizing 24gb of memory, not 32.  Probably could figure that out but I can't be bothered.

Toned it down a little for now... running at 4.25ghz. 23,000+ on Geekbench 3.

In Windows I topped 25,000, I think, using a normal multiplier overclock, which was sweet.  Mac Pro Kernel will solve a lot of issues.

Sweet rig though.

Honestly it's so fast running stock... will I notice a difference?  Not sure!

I got my mavericks installer to work with the patched kernel but im stuck at another problem: My install failes afters some minutes. I get the following error message: "an error occurred while extracting files from the package Essentials". Anybody an idea why i get this error? Im quite new to Hackintoshes.

My system:

Asus P9x79 Pro

intel i7 4930k

8gb 1866mhz ram(for testing / installing purposes)

EVGA GTX titan

Samsung SSD 840 PRO

Thanks in advance

I got my mavericks installer to work with the patched kernel but im stuck at another problem: My install failes afters some minutes. I get the following error message: "an error occurred while extracting files from the package Essentials". Anybody an idea why i get this error? Im quite new to Hackintoshes.

My system:

Asus P9x79 Pro

intel i7 4930k

8gb 1866mhz ram(for testing / installing purposes)

EVGA GTX titan

Samsung SSD 840 PRO

Thanks in advance

Usually happens if the file wasnt copied perfectly to the USB, try create the install media again.

Guys, is 4930k supported in the final Mavericks? For some reason I thought it was and then I suddenly got a creeping suspicion it's not (seeing how Mavericks installer gives me a black screen on my new build).

Not officially supported, but there is a patched kernel posted a couple of posts back to allow it to work on Ivy-E CPUs.

Not officially supported, but there is a patched kernel posted a couple of posts back to allow it to work on Ivy-E CPUs.

Hah, "there's your problem". I thought I was just going to pop in the flash drive and get it going. That's what I get for sleepintoshing at 4 am. Looking back I see that it was clarified that Ivy-E support is expected with Mac Pro release, not Mavericks. Now I got it straight.

What's the best way to use the posted mach kernel file then - does it go into the Extra folder on the flash drive or do I need to find an existing file on the installer and replace it?

• Like 1

Tried all USB Ports? Stick to USB 2 where possible.

Every single usb port with every single osx version from snow leopard up! even did a reboot between pluging it into a different usb and even tried a USB PCI-E addon card. so i tried something like 20+ usb ports on three different osx installtions while rebooting before each port change. lol but the main thing is all i do is pop in a 3930k, and bam! audio works. just a cpu swap and audio works.nothing else. i suspect i will have to wait until the new mac pro gets released with IB-E support to get my apogee one to work, and even then, with the 4930k i suspect it will only work in mavericks. ill never get my audio recording system running in snow leopard with a 4930k  wish i could get to the root of what is causing the stuttering with the 4930k

Hah, "there's your problem". I thought I was just going to pop in the flash drive and get it going. That's what I get for sleepintoshing at 4 am. Looking back I see that it was clarified that Ivy-E support is expected with Mac Pro release, not Mavericks. Now I got it straight.

What's the best way to use the posted mach kernel file then - does it go into the Extra folder on the flash drive or do I need to find an existing file on the installer and replace it?

Just copy and replace mach_kernel to the root of the USB stick after you've created the install media. If it complains that the file is invisible use the Terminal.

After installation, the mach_kernel will need replacing before it is able to bootup. So either use Terminal from the USB installer to copy it's mach_kernel to the new installation or use another OSX partition to copy the file over.

J have a problem with audio on  ASUS Sabertooth X79 and CPU i7-4930K 3.4 GHz, BIOS 4302

My audio Realtec ALC 892  is stuttering and skipping . 

Problem is on 10.8.5 ML and Mavericks 10.9 too. J install and tested ALL drivers 

from Lion and newest for Mavericks from Toleda.

Drivers from Lion (from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.6.1 ) are better but Audio is still not good.

This drivers works very well with my old CPU 3930K but not on 4930K. 

J try  standard motherboard  settings at 3.4 GHz no overclocking .

All other hardware works very good and my system ML/Mavericks is very stable 

My Geekbench 3.0 is 27172 at 4.8 GHz !  Render 5 hours project at max speed

no problem.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/126471

Maybe  old BIOS version 4210 ( for IvyBridge -E)  for Sabertooth  X79  is solution but

is not available on Asus webside ...J think that Bios 4302 hurt audio .

Is any chance to download old 4210 ?

Yesterday i notice some audio issue too, not skipping but audio degredation, almost like a loose connection. Switching the Audio device, or changing the MIDI settings relieves the problem. It happens mainly if Im playing music in iTunes and then open a youtube link.

The audio problem not think it is the patched kernel for mavericks because Music Producer wrote that tested with snow leopard and the problem persist and this kernel was made using the source code provided by apple, instead of a dirty binary patch

Problem is solved ! J install drivers VooDooHDA v.2.7.3 and sound is perfect  :)

Sounds from Safari or  iTunes is very clear 

Only version 2.7.3 works correctly , newer  driver 2.8.4 or older dont work.

Only on Mavericks . ML and probably Snow Leopard  no chance to get correctly audio with

Sabertooth/i7 4930K.

Additional was installed new SSDT from rampagedev.wordpress.com .

My build is finish )

Problem is solved ! J install drivers VooDooHDA v.2.7.3 and sound is perfect  :)

Sounds from Safari or  iTunes is very clear 

Only version 2.7.3 works correctly , newer  driver 2.8.4 or older dont work.

Only on Mavericks . ML and probably Snow Leopard  no chance to get correctly audio with

Sabertooth/i7 4930K.

Additional was installed new SSDT from rampagedev.wordpress.com .

My build is finish )

I will try =) Thanks

Do you leave original AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E?

Edit

Using VoodooHDA now and testing.

Volume is lower overall comapred to AppleHDA.

Also updated to SSDT.

Hey amiga5,

Did you modify the VoodooHDA. kext by any mean?

I have the same config. (sabertooth x79, bios 4302, 4930k, new ssdt from Rampage)

I remove applehda from s/l/a and install voodoohda. Now I have a virtual audio device in sound preferences without output controls.

The VoodooHDA installer I've got it from here: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1393-voodoohda-2-7-3-installer-for-10-6-10-7-10-8/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Change Virtual Output Device to the Real device you are outputting, for me that was Green Rear Port.

If you cant see that, and only Virtual port is listed, make sure you installed VooDooHDA v.2.7.3 pkg and not any other version.

Edit: that link you used is same as i used. Worked on my P9X79 Pro.

Jasjeet, thank you for your response. Unfortunately I don't have any real device in my sound preferences. 

i was checking the system log and i found the following:

10/24/13 4:53:27.671 PM VoodooHdaSettingsLoader[284]: No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
10/24/13 4:53:27.673 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[158]: (org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper[284]) Exited with code: 1

It seems that I need to change the info.plist file with some information. Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I have another issue that is not causing any problems but I see it in my log all the time

10/24/13 4:53:42.000 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    32.970    AppleUSBEHCI::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5000 milliseconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)
10/24/13 4:53:42.000 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    33.  5    The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 8 of Hub at 0x1d100000)
10/24/13 4:53:48.000 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    38.975    AppleUSBEHCI::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5000 milliseconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)
10/24/13 4:53:54.000 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    44.981    AppleUSBEHCI::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5000 milliseconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)
10/24/13 4:54:00.000 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    50.984    AppleUSBEHCI::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5000 milliseconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr: 0, EP: 0)

And yes, I install rampage's GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Help is appreciated!