ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

mr. west

220 posts in this topic

I got my new 4930k and got the system up and running in Windows.  No issues.

Haven't been able to get into my 10.8.5 install.  I also tried booting into Mavericks.

My issue is that I get through a verbose boot fine, but then I get a blackscreen.

I've tried a number of bootflags, mostly different combinations of:

-v npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

tried 0x2000 as well... all the same result.  I'm going to try a fresh install of 10.8.5 and see how it goes.

Anyone have luck with Ivy Bridge-E yet?

I actually haven't heard of anyone doing an Ivy Bridge-e hack yet... you'll certainly be one of the first few to attempt this!

Unfortunately I can't offer any help, other than to say that as the new Mac Pro's will be Ivy Bridge-e based, you shouldn't have too much to worry about CPU wise.

That said, are you sure the black screen is CPU related... could it be to do with your graphics? What GPU?

Anyway, please let us know how you get on... I'm interested to know what sort of power management we'll be able to get out of the box with IB-e and 10.9. The only drawback of the previous generation Sandy Bridge-e based hacks was/is the lack of it.

• Like 1

I actually haven't heard of anyone doing an Ivy Bridge-e hack yet... you'll certainly be one of the first few to attempt this!

Unfortunately I can't offer any help, other than to say that as the new Mac Pro's will be Ivy Bridge-e based, you shouldn't have too much to worry about CPU wise.

That said, are you sure the black screen is CPU related... could it be to do with your graphics? What GPU?

Anyway, please let us know how you get on... I'm interested to know what sort of power management we'll be able to get out of the box with IB-e and 10.9. The only drawback of the previous generation Sandy Bridge-e based hacks was/is the lack of it.

Yep, I'm on the bleeding edge here.

I thought about that -- that it may be the GPU.  I have a pretty vanilla card - EVGA GTX650.  I used to just have to do GraphicsEnabler=no to get into the installer, and then I had no issues.

Now, I get through everything and only then do I get a black screen, and my monitor light turns off.  I get the same issue on OS X 10.8.5 (installed) and installer.  I also get the same problem with Mavericks install.  So maybe it is GPU

I've tried a number of boot flags, including all the usual variants of:

-v -x PCIRootUID=0 (or 1) npci=0x3000 (or 0x2000) GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1

I've also added dsdt=No

so no luck. I'm downloading DP4 from the App Store now and I'll make an installer for that and see if I have any luck there.

Till then, I'm stuck in Windows 8  :wacko:  <_<

I just tried again, this time with the 10.9 DP 4 installer.  No luck.  I then noved my graphics card to another PCI slot hoping that would make a difference. Nope.

Gotta get focused on getting work done for now so can't tinker too much.  Always interested to hear people's ideas.

Same issue, working hack (10.8.4) from 3960X upgraded to 4960X, now after Verbose info completes, i just get a blackscreen, the OS doesnt load at all. I also think its a bootloader issue.

Im using Chameleon bootloader and MyHack installer with 10.8 Mountain Lion. The installer also suffers the same problem.

try clover with

<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I am going to try with the latest Chameleon release, not the default one on MyHack.  I'll also try with Clover.  Report back later.

no luck with Chameleon.  Clover starts to load the OS (white screen etc.)   I get exact same problem as you so far (wont boot verbose even if I tell it to).  STill trying.

I was able to play with /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to get a verbose screen, and play with boot flags.  If I do verbose & safe mode, I get the following:

http://i.imgur.com/3OD7MUn.jpg

Loading Drivers......

........ then some plus signs and it's dead.

I'm trying one last time with PandorasBox, but after that I think it's time to give up until Chameleon supports the chip or someone can offer some better advice as to what to do.

I made some progress.  I used the Pandoras Box beta 2 tool to create the installer using DP4 Mavericks. Once that's done, I replace the following Kexts from the http://rampagedev.wordpress.com unified 10.9 DMG:

/S/L/E/:

FakeSMC.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

GenericUSBXHCI.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext (added later, doesn't make a difference)

I edit /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist with the following boot flags:

-v PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 cpus=1

I run the installer and it recognizes the CPU and starts loading kexts.  However it gets caught on a Looking for Root Device error.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbBILf5RWso

So this is progress.  I feel like I'm close to getting into the installer.  But I've played around with a number of kexts and had no luck.  Any ideas?

Following these steps, I am able to get all the way through to chameleon mounting the installer on root device, but then I crash:

1.  Run Pandora Installer selecting Mavericks, Mac Pro 3,1 on an external eSata hard drive

2.  Using Unified DMG from RampageDev.wordpress.com, I replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, FakeSMC.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Boot with flags:

-v npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0 cpus=1

It hangs there.  Another fellow (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289080-thoughts-about-mavericks-with-atom-yes-atom/) was able to get just as far on an Atom computer, but it hangs there.

Given that, I do not think the Mavericks kernel yet supports Ivy Bridge-E.  That's my guess. 

To that end, I replaced mach_kernel with the version from DP7 (which has some power management stuff for X79 that other builds don't) and replaced the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext for that version from the RampageDev repo and I got stopped at the same thing.

I'm quitting until anyone else has some better ideas.  

I tried on my ML installer, i got up to PCI Configuration Start, then it hangs. Could be because i have a GTX 780 installed atm, might try with the ATi 4850 later.

Using Transmac i replaced mach_kernel on my actual OSX partition, that got up to NullCPUPowermanagement Kext loading then it hung.

Edit

Booted by adding DSDT=No flag !!

I tried on my ML installer, i got up to PCI Configuration Start, then it hangs. Could be because i have a GTX 780 installed atm, might try with the ATi 4850 later.

Using Transmac i replaced mach_kernel on my actual OSX partition, that got up to NullCPUPowermanagement Kext loading then it hung.

I used Pandora and ML 8 and that other Kernel.  All is fine and then it hung and gave me waiting on root device... again.

I'm still on chameleon bootloader, this OS has had no modification from the working 3960x (10.8.4) build except adding the Mach_kernel file and using DSDT=No flag.

I haven't encountered root device error in my troubleshooting so not sure why that's happening.

I'm still on chameleon bootloader, this OS has had no modification from the working 3960x (10.8.4) build except adding the Mach_kernel file and using DSDT=No flag.

I haven't encountered root device error in my troubleshooting so not sure why that's happening.

I couldn't get chameleon to boot my old OS.  it just goes blank.  so i've been using the one packaged with pandora install.  even when i use teh same one (rev 2248) I get nothing.

I booted into Windows and used Transmac to replace the mach_kernel file that was on the OSX partition that i also could not get into (same issue black screen), then with -v -f DSDT=No it boots.

You need to somehow edit that mach_kernel file on the root of your OSx Parition without booting into it.

I think if you create an OSX installer with myHack and replace the mach_kernel file that should be able to boot too, providing the rest of the system is compatible.

I booted into Windows and used Transmac to replace the mach_kernel file that was on the OSX partition that i also could not get into (same issue black screen), then with -v -f DSDT=No it boots.

You need to somehow edit that mach_kernel file on the root of your OSx Parition without booting into it.

I think if you create an OSX installer with myHack and replace the mach_kernel file that should be able to boot too, providing the rest of the system is compatible.

Hi,

May I ask you a few questions about your System right now?

1. Do you get some kind of power management? Any turbo mode? Which multipliers?

2. As I understand NullCPUPowerManagement mandatory for now?

I intend to go with i7 4930K to replace my 3820, if I can get full Power Management with OS X 10.9.

Thanks! :-)