ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

mr. west

220 posts in this topic

I've got the same motherboard, but using a 3930k instead!

I've successfully installed Mavericks, but when trying to boot into the new OS I just CANNOT reach it. The computer just restarts itself over and over again. Not even reaching the apple loading logo with the spinning wheel.

What should I do?

I've tried all kinds of bootflags and combinations suchs as -v npci=0x3000 or  npci=0x2000 -x and all other kinds of commands, I've tried literally 30-40 combinations, I kept trying over and over again yesterday. No luck at all.

Please, ANY help is greatly appreciated!! I can't get my computer to work after the update at all :/

I'm using Chameleon as bootloader (I think) and u n i b e a s t  though.

Jasjeet, thank you for your response. Unfortunately I don't have any real device in my sound preferences. 

i was checking the system log and i found the following:

10/24/13 4:53:27.671 PM VoodooHdaSettingsLoader[284]: No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
10/24/13 4:53:27.673 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[158]: (org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper[284]) Exited with code: 1

It seems that I need to change the info.plist file with some information. Any help is appreciated.

My kext VooDooHDA 2.7.3 was install from MB 6.0...Installed kext from another source - no problem too.

You can delete Apple HDA .kext and EnablerHDA.kext before install.

Maybe add device ID + vendor ID to info.plist  but on my motherboard audio device appear

in sound preferences without add device ID .

J use modified  VooDooHDA kext 2.7.3  because were little issues ; Low Volume and  noise at load from

Gain 90. Sounds is wonderful  :)  

Here is a link to modified kext:  http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/46043-modified-voodoohda-2-7-3-no-noise-pops-192khz-sample-rate-3.html

I was testing your kext ALC892/10.8.4  . Safari sound  little skipping  , iTunes and  Premiere

sound not acceptable .

VooDooHDA 2.7.3 is only solution for Sabertooth X79/i7 4930. 

• Hey amiga5, Thank you for your response. i'll try it and report later!

Hey Guys I made a new version of kernel compiled with source code provided by apple

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/163-109-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/

• Stinga11 I cannot acces to the file, you know why? it says:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Need Help?

I've got the same motherboard, but using a 3930k instead!

I've successfully installed Mavericks, but when trying to boot into the new OS I just CANNOT reach it. The computer just restarts itself over and over again. Not even reaching the apple loading logo with the spinning wheel.

What should I do?

I've tried all kinds of bootflags and combinations suchs as -v npci=0x3000 or  npci=0x2000 -x and all other kinds of commands, I've tried literally 30-40 combinations, I kept trying over and over again yesterday. No luck at all.

Please, ANY help is greatly appreciated!! I can't get my computer to work after the update at all :/

I'm using Chameleon as bootloader (I think) and u n i b e a s t  though.

What Kind of information (Kernel panic?) you have in your screen before the computer resets? 

• Hey amiga5, Thank you for your response. i'll try it and report later!

• Stinga11 I cannot acces to the file, you know why? it says:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Need Help?

What Kind of information (Kernel panic?) you have in your screen before the computer resets? 

Finally an answer! THANK YOU! That's the weird thing - NOTHING. It just resets. It goes so fast that it just resets. Doesn't say anything particular at all.

EDIT: or is there any way to see it afterwards? (not meanwhile the text are rolling down, it goes sooo fast I can't even see!)

OK I took a photo on my phone while it was scrolling down.

This is what it says in the end:

using 64-bit bootache playlist

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

Kext loading now disabled.

Kext unloading now disabled.

Kext autounloading now disabled.

Kernel requests now disabled.

Jontah, multiple possibilites to your issue.

A) Boot in verbose and videotape the issue so we can better understand the problem. Unplug any unnecessary device you may have connected, just leave your keyboard and mouse (no lan cable)

B) List all your parts.

C) In case you didn't. Reformat and use myhack. Everyone in this thread has used myHack for installing Mavericks. Prepare your usb accordingly to your configuration.You shouldn't modified your kernel since you have 3930k. After successful installation, install chameleon and the kexts from rampage DMG. Then report. (it will take longer to resolve the issue than reinstalling the system with a proven solution as my hack (also installing manually the kext)

I hope it helps

Jontah, multiple possibilites to your issue.

A) Boot in verbose and videotape the issue so we can better understand the problem. Unplug any unnecessary device you may have connected, just leave your keyboard and mouse (no lan cable)

B) List all your parts.

C) In case you didn't. Reformat and use myhack. Everyone in this thread has used myHack for installing Mavericks. Prepare your usb accordingly to your configuration.You shouldn't modified your kernel since you have 3930k. After successful installation, install chameleon and the kexts from rampage DMG. Then report. (it will take longer to resolve the issue than reinstalling the system with a proven solution as my hack (also installing manually the kext)

I hope it helps

Again - mega thanks for answer dude! I'll videotape it and upload it for sure.

Do I need to use chameleon though? Ive been using Chimera only so far and wondering if I can continue to do so? since I'm not a developer or even have the knowledge to play around with open source.

Here comes the list of my parts:

Geforce GTX 660

Intel 3930k

Asus Sabertooth x79

16GB ram 1888Mhz

Jontah,

1. Myhack is an automated script that generates your installation usb disk
  2. Then install and when my hack ask you to install kext just reset your computer don't proceed!
  3. After, boot with your usb, select to boot into your new installation (your hard drive not the usb) (with the same flags). You will be able to access Mavericks. Don't reboot! Install chameleon with the configuration (located in DMG: files/asus/kexts/.jpg1 ) in rampage's DMG http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/dsdt-downloads/asus-x79/
  4. Then browse the DMG and use Kext helper (DMG: files/tools/) to install from files/asus/kexts genericUSBxhci.kext, fakeSMC.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.kext (you may have kernel panic with this one (rampage told me he is working on a fix this weekend), try it if not  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/?p=1928728)
  5. EDIT: add the new ssdt from rampage's page in the /extra folder of your hard drive ( http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/new-dsdt-solution-released/ ) and change the org.chameleon.Boot.plist from the extra folder and add <key>SSDT</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
  6. For the sound please read the previous posts.
  7. After installing everything you are safe to boot, (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I hope it helps

Jontah,

2. Then install and when my hack ask you to install kext just reset your computer don't proceed!
  3. After, boot with your usb, select to boot into your new installation (your hard drive not the usb) (with the same flags). You will be able to access Mavericks. Don't reboot! Install chameleon with the configuration (located in DMG: files/asus/kexts/.jpg1 ) in rampage's DMG http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/dsdt-downloads/asus-x79/
  4. Then browse the DMG and use Kext helper (DMG: files/tools/) to install from files/asus/kexts genericUSBxhci.kext, fakeSMC.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.kext (you may have kernel panic with this one (rampage told me he is working on a fix this weekend), try it if not  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/?p=1928728)
  5. For the sound please read the previous posts.
  6. After installing everything you are safe to boot, (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I hope it helps

Updated network kext to that version while I debug. 

Great job! I replaced my old kernel and no KP. Would you like that I test something? 

Thanks.

With OS X Mavericks the kernel patcher from chameleon not work but with this kernel should be able to load kexts from Extra/Extesion without any problem. For example Fakesmc and NullCPUPowerManagement. If you could confirm this

Jontah,

5. EDIT: add the new ssdt from rampage's page in the /extra folder of your hard drive ( http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/new-dsdt-solution-released/ ) and change the org.chameleon.Boot.plist from the extra folder and add <key>SSDT</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
  6. For the sound please read the previous posts.
  7. After installing everything you are safe to boot, (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I hope it helps

I really can't reach the hard drive at all. Rampaged helped me yesterday and we weren't able to do anything to reach anything unfortunately. what should I do?

Okay i used another usb drive and it works now.

My mackintosh 4930k Asus P9x79 Pro and Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan almost works perfectly.

I tested Audio, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, Displayport and Ethernet, all working.

Temperatures of the devices are correctly recognised.

Graphics Card, CPU and Ram are correctly recognised as well.

But few issues are left: It seems that the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext is loaded and the gpu does adapt to different load states but i only get half the fps in cinebench under Mac compared to Windows (47fps and 96fps). Maybe you have an idea how to solve this or do I have to wait for the Nvidia drivers to be released for Mavericks?

And yes the mach_kernel for ivy bridge e will come out with the new Mac Pro. I can image that it is an extra build of Mavericks pre installed on the new Mac Pro.

Second: I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement installed, is it a good idea to do so? My CPU does currently not adapt its multiplier, is there another way?

Thank you for your help!

(If someone needs advice on how to get audio working, ask me)

Nilz--you are in 10.9.0 I take it?  Is OpenCL working on the Titan?  It is not in 10.8.5 for me.  Please test with LuxMark: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark

Cinebench (OpenGL) performs much better on Windows.  This has nothing to do with power management and is not a "problem."  As I understand it, OS X  never runs the most current implementation of OpenGL.  If you want OpenGL (gaming) performance, then you should be using Windows.

Your CPU not changing ratios properly might be fixed with native support for IVB-E, but if you are alluding to overclocking via multiplier, then I am not aware of any solution.  You should not install NCPUPM.

I switched to BCLK overclocking instead.

With my 3960X the Multiplier Overclock worked, only switching between x12 and x45 however. I managed this by playing with the Power Saving options (CStates/Speedstep).

On 4960X, it doesnt work, you have to use bclk overclock to get anything to register in OSX.

RampageDev also says that using NullCPM can actually fix the Multiplier not switching between x36 and x12 in some cases on 10.9 (oddly enough). Mine is stuck at x36 without NullCPM, i will test with NullCPM at some point.

Okay, OpenCL seems to work with LuxMark but i only get 1300 score with GPU only. (don't know if its bad)

I figured out how that the graphics card actually changed between power states but doesn't offer that much performance.

For the cpu im still trying and trying.

Also i try that all the motherboard fans are detected. Atm only the graphics card fan and the cpu pump speed is detected...

I haven't managed to get my 3930k to speedstep on my P9X79 in 10.9 either. Some people on rampagedev's blog reported success with this chip but I've no idea why it worked for them and not for me.

To get power management working with NullCPUPowerManagement (this will probably just give you two states: low and high) go to your BIOS, disable Speedstep and enable C1E (it will probably be set to Auto). This gives me 12x and 32x according to HWMonitor (though if you install the Intel Power Gadget you can see it's scaling all the time).

Now i also installed the Nvidia Cuda drivers and trying the benchmarks again. For Cinebench its no improvement and I try the after effects benchmark again as well.

Do you have other disadvantages from the NullCPU beside sleep not working?

My graphicscard changes g states and i have a good setting for it in applegraphicspowermanagement.kext - i think. Somehow after some rendering load it stays at highest state, i have to investigate it further.

cpu fan and optional cpu fan is detected but the case fans are not. I think it may be a problem with my ssdt. Which ssdt or dsdt do you use? Or don't you use any?

The last problem i have is that after startup and sleep the bluetooth icon shows to be broken for 10-15 seconds. Do you know a solution? I upgraded manually the bluetooth firmware from at3k (or something like that) without it bluetooth didn't work.

You know a tool to find out what c and p states are available? Maybe we have more luck with MacPro6,1 and speedstep and native power management.

Okay, hwmonitor does only show the changes between 1,2 and 3,4 ghz. Intel Power Gadget shows a smooth line but it could also calculate the average.

How do i see that sleep is not working? Because i can put the computer to sleep and my power supply shuts off as it does under windows. Cpu wattage is only at 17 on idle and not on 50 w anymore.

Thank you for your help.

If PC sleeps successfully the CPU Fan will be off as well as other fans. Also the Monitor will go into standby too.

On my PC the case Power On LED flashes to indicate it is asleep.

Clicking the mouse or hitting the keyboard will wake the PC to the point at which it fell asleep.

MSRDumper kext will output the c/p states to system.log in realtime.

Hello! My laptop is Acer Aspire 5749 Z with 2.2 intel pentium double core B960 Sandy bridge, 6 gb ram, 500 gb hdd, intel HD graphics. I'm trying to boot hackintosh on it but it goest 'till somewhere in the middle of loading files and shows black screen. I tried some flag combination but it didn't work. Maybe I haven't typed the right combination of flags but I'm confused and I don't know what to do. Please if you can, help me somehow! When I type -v-f pcirootuid=1 graphicsenabler=no igpenabler=yes npci=3000 I get this message

post-1239610-0-78368000-1383073458_thumb.jpg

Hello! My laptop is Acer Aspire 5749 Z with 2.2 intel pentium double core B960 Sandy bridge, 6 gb ram, 500 gb hdd, intel HD graphics. I'm trying to boot hackintosh on it but it goest 'till somewhere in the middle of loading files and shows black screen. I tried some flag combination but it didn't work. Maybe I haven't typed the right combination of flags but I'm confused and I don't know what to do. Please if you can, help me somehow! When I type -v-f pcirootuid=1 graphicsenabler=no igpenabler=yes npci=3000 I get this message

You will be better off makein a new thread as nobody in here will know much about getting OSX to work with your hardware, its completely different to ours.

But to make sure the flags should be like this: -v -f PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No igpenabler=Yes npci=0x3000

Okay, hwmonitor does only show the changes between 1,2 and 3,4 ghz. Intel Power Gadget shows a smooth line but it could also calculate the average.

A smooth line in Power Gadget probably means it isn't scaling. For example, here's a shot of mine:

cs0m.png

Even though HWMonitor only shows 12x and 32x power states you can see my CPU is running at various states in-between. I'm assuming the Intel gadget is accurate. I think HWMonitor is only pulling the states from the OS, while the gadget is accessing the chip directly (C1E is on-chip power management vs OS-based with Speedstep).

To see the pstates reached, I use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext

Okay then my mac goes successfully to sleep with nullcpu. I check out the logs tomorrow to see the c/p states, thanks for your answer!

@Riley Freeman, i mean rather smooth compared to switching only between two states, like an on / off switch which only has 2 states and not "half on"

Here's a shot of my cpu:

post-1233869-0-46152500-1383074482_thumb.png

HWMonitor only shows 1,2 and 3,4 ghz as i said before.

Does somebody also experience the bluetooth issue that it does not work after startup? Or any idea?

And about power management of the cpu and graphics card, can you also edit something by yourself? Meaning do you know a method for improving performance, enabling turbo mode? I can also edit files by myself, but is it in general possible or do we have to wait.

Sorry for a bit stupid questions, its my first hackintosh and I already googled a hell lot. Maybe you know some pro tips.

But im so content that now almost everything works beside the bluetooth thing (i think i can live with it), the missing fans and case fans only spinning at mid rpm.

Thank you, this forum already helped me a lot :)

Okay i used the info kext and it only shows me 2 p states: 12 and 34. mm...

Yeah that's to be expected. It'll only show more if you have working Speedstep. Though even with that it's dependent on your SMBIOS. MacPro5,1 typically only shows 2 pstates. MacPro3,1 will show a few more.

Bearing in mind we're running CPUs that aren't fully supported I think we're doing OK. Once the new dustbins are out we should get an updated kernel with wider CPU support. Hopefully then we can ditch NullCPUPM and still get some stepping.