ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

mr. west

220 posts in this topic

Rampagedev will know better, currently im using NullPowerManagement but with a corrected DSDT and sleepenabler.kext i can get sleep to work.

I dont believe full power management works in Mountain Lion but in 10.9 it should as Apple are using the socket 2011 CPUs.

My CPU is overclocked to 4.6Ghz but i think its performing at its stock 3.6Ghz as Geekbench score is 18000, whereas on my 3960x at 4.6Ghz in 10.8 i hit 22000.

FakeSMC doesnt support the Ivy-E CPUs yet so my iStat and HWmonitor are not working to check the speeds of the CPU and Multipliers/Voltages. Im assuming that with that Geekbench score its running at stock, no idea if its speedstepping or Turbo'ing at the moment.

Updating to 10.8.5 has killed the system, without the Mach_kernel replaced you get black screen, with replaced I get kernel panic from AppleACPIPlatform (unable to find driver for this platform).

Maybe 10.8.4 AppleACPIPlatform kext will fix, but have no access to one.

Rampagedev will know better, currently im using NullPowerManagement but with a corrected DSDT and sleepenabler.kext i can get sleep to work.

I dont believe full power management works in Mountain Lion but in 10.9 it should as Apple are using the socket 2011 CPUs.

My CPU is overclocked to 4.6Ghz but i think its performing at its stock 3.6Ghz as Geekbench score is 18000, whereas on my 3960x at 4.6Ghz in 10.8 i hit 22000.

FakeSMC doesnt support the Ivy-E CPUs yet so my iStat and HWmonitor are not working to check the speeds of the CPU and Multipliers/Voltages. Im assuming that with that Geekbench score its running at stock, no idea if its speedstepping or Turbo'ing at the moment.

Maybe 10.8.4 AppleACPIPlatform kext will fix, but have no access to one.

Thanks for the info ;-)

I've attached 10.8.4 AppleACPIPlatform.kext for you

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

Many thanks, im wondering if it should bother trying though, as i have no way in repairing the permissions after swapping the Kext through Windows, itll probably end up not liking the replacement kext at all, any ideas before i try it?

Edit

Did it anyway and its back!  :lol:

Got a fresh install of Mountain Lion up and running.  This was the process:

1.  MyHack installer with 10.8.5 install

When done, add these to /Extra/Extensions

ML 10.8.4 AppleACPIPlatform.kext (from subdleku's link above)

VoodooTSCSync.kext from rampagedev.wordpress.com

(In addition to the defaults)

Swap the default Kernel on the installer with:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/40-10-8-4-haswell-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/

If you can't just cut and paste, go to terminal and try something like

cd /Users/user/Downloads/Folder WIth Kernel/

sudo cp mach_kernel /Volumes/my hack disk name/

Run MyFix on myhack installer

Setup bios to boot to USB, use these falgs

-v -f DSDT=No GraphcisEnabler=No npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0

Run install

Now, you'll need to boot back into the installer and go to terminal

Copy the mach kernel from the root of your myhack disk to the root of your new operating system

E.g.,

cd /Volumes/myHack*

sudo cp mach_kernel /Volumes/OS\ X/

You also need to copy your kexts

I did this by going to the extensiosn folder in the myhack installer (e.g., cd /Volumes/MyHack...)

then use thsi command for each important one

cp -R file.kext /System/Library/Extensions

If you don't copy the ACPIPlatform.kext again, you'll get KPs on boot.  Copy other important kexts (i.e., ethernet, voodootscsync)

exit terminal

go to disk utility

repair permissions on your main install

Boot into OS X, make sure to type bootflags again

Install Chameleon, update your bootflags, etc.

And you're rocking.

I haven't tried to get sound working.  But otherwise things are fast.  Check out these Geekbench scores when overlcocked to 4.0ghz

Phew!!!

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/65344?baseline=65344

Calling it a night.... I'll try Mavericks tomorrow using similar methods.  Cross my fingers....

post-780084-0-95526800-1379401524_thumb.png

• Like 1

Ive managed to get a Geekbench score of 20k with 3.6Ghz, it isnt overclocking even with C States and Speedstep disabled.

MSRDumper and HWMonitor both report x36 Multi.

One more issue, the vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext will not allow the Kernel Cache to build. Using the 10.8.5 patch in Mult1beast does allow the Kernel cache to Build, but results in a Kernel Panic (Unrecognized CPU) on reboot.

Without AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext installed (and without NullCPUPowerManagement) the C States seem to work and sleep works too. But still cant get it to Turbo to my overclock. Not sure if AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement Kext is related to the overclock.

Im going to try Mavericks soon.

Tried Mavericks, it wont boot the installer, same black screen issue (Kernel issue again), so i tried the patched 10.8.4 kernel that worked previously, but that didnt work for obvious reasons (gave it a shot anyway).

Yeah... I've been happily using 10.8.5 on my 4930k.  It's stable and fast.  No complaints.  Not gonna tinker at all until Mavericks with LGA 2011 support comes out.  So I'll give a shot with each new kernel from new developer previews.  Whenever the Mac Pro gets close to release, it will probably work.  Waiting....

We need that guy to patch the 10.9 kernel as well, but i think we need to wait till Apple release the kernel source, maybe a couple of months.

I patch 10.9 GM mach_kernel but not know if it works so try it and tell me if it works

credits to PikeRAlpha for the original patch for haswell on 10.8.4

Wow thanks I'll see if the DP boots to try install 10.9 as I don't have the GM yet.

Can you share more info on how you patch the kernel?

I use the following patch in a hex editor

eb1183f83a TO eb1183f83e

Well it gets to start loading OSX, in verbose i can see the following:

Flags used: -v -f

Stuck at PCI Configuration

Flags used: -v -f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0

Stuck at USBF and some other USBXHCI errors slightly before hang.

This is with the DP however, so i will use myhack to make the bootable installer with GM now.

Well it gets to start loading OSX, in verbose i can see the following:

Flags used: -v -f

Stuck at PCI Configuration

Flags used: -v -f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0

Stuck at USBF and some other USBXHCI errors slightly before hang.

This is with the DP however, so i will use myhack to make the bootable installer with GM now.

Apparently the patched kernel works your problem is that you try to use the Gm kernel on DP build

Another thing, When you prepare your custom kext ,use only Fakesmc and NullCPUPowerManagement if you use the latest bios update for your motherboard I don't think you need the VoodooTSCSync. About the chameleon flags, For the first boot use -v -f and npci=0x2000

Im using the patched Kernel on the GM now, stuck at hfs: Mounted myHack OS X Install Disk, just hangs after that.

Running myFix on the installer to see if there was a permissions issue.

Out of ideas, tried latest Chameleon Bootloader too.

Hangs at hfs: Mounted myHack OS X Install Disk to root_device.