Ozmosis

xpamamadeus
6,231 posts in this topic

Sorry, but it is tiring to read discussions about stuff nobody involved can influence over and over.

If the folks care to do another release, they will. If they care to OSS it, they will OSS it. If they don't for either, they won't either.

Debating personal preference regarding a subjective topic nobody can really influence causes nothing but clutter.

@THe KiNG Thanks mate for keeping the boat float...

• Like 2

Ok changing the subject...

here goes..

For some reason on my system Oz fails to see my Ubuntu partition where as Clover has no problem.  The issue is that there are three linux partitions in total and Oz sees only two of them and misses seeing the grub loader partition. I know its there because Clover sees it and loads into Ubuntu.

Is the following code snippet from my defaults.plist incorrect?

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
	<dict>
		<key>UserInterface</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AndroidDiskOptionTemplate</key>
		<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid androidboot.hardware=android_x86 ro SRC=$path</string>
		<key>AndroidDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>DarwinCoreStorageTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label ($platform.$major.$minor)</string>
		<key>LinuxDiskOptionTemplate</key>
		<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>
		<key>LinuxDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label $build</string>
		<key>LinuxRescueDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label Rescue</string>
		<key>LinuxRescueOptionTemplate</key>
		<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>

Thanks

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

With full respect bro, I had the similar situation once. Came with simple (or fool?) idea on my mind, to keep convincing people that development still on going.. and ended up with apologies to everyone I know on team.

-- keep rockin -- they all know who you are --

• Like 1

Well that all didn't go over too well :(

Sorry for the sidetrack, honestly thought I was doing the right thing, Oh well, back to the drawing board...

if you pushed some buttons you did the right thing maybe you set off a spark in someone who devs ozmosis to get the ball rolling again 

I don't know but, as i know Ozmosis was maid for QUO-Board and support for it still continue "by the help of OTHERS". Another work for a new born maybe will see the day, but it need a big cost, if no one interested, i don't know if this beautiful story will continue!  :(

@WarDoc

Schermata 2017-07-31 alle 21.14.50.png

Causing Chaos just to watch the world burn

I see you are doing it very well

Please do not feed this debate, it will not take us anywhere. All of us respect your work, but you as we comply with the regulation

We use common sense,
These things are not good for us, you and the community,

• Like 7

Well anyone care to comment about my issue? Thought it would be good to change the subject.

I care, but as i see your code is correct, but my knowledge of OZ aint so big as other people here. 

Logicly, you can try blank defaults- if not working, maybe you use unsupported filesystem on ubuntu? 

p.s. better wait for someone who knows more, just bumping ur post. 

• Like 1

I care, but as i see your code is correct, but my knowledge of OZ aint so big as other people here. 

Logicly, you can try blank defaults- if not working, maybe you use unsupported filesystem on ubuntu? 

p.s. better wait for someone who knows more, just bumping ur post. 

Thanks Firefly. I appreciate it. I wonder if the reason I don't see it is that Oz is not capable of displaying more than a certain amount of OS boot options in its menu maybe? I mean if I press the right arrow I go off of the screen. Wish I could hide partitions from appearing on the menu like its done with Clover. Perhaps its possible?

Thanks again.

Well, how many boot options do you have? Are you talking about bootentries in the Ozmosis GUI? Have you disabled the BootEntriesFilter? For Defaults.plist that would be

<key>DisableBootEntriesFilter</key>

<true/>

No I don't use that value in my defaults.plist. 

Also made a youtube video showing that theres a bug in the Oz  bootmenu:

Looks like an out of bounds bug..

Put the Ubuntu partition as one of the first boot options in BIOS so that it should appear as one of the first entries. If it appears in OzmGUI this way then there's no detection but an out of bounds error.

Theoretically you can edit the horizontaltheme to be able to show more boot options. You can also try to use the black theme and see if it shows more entries but keep in mind that some of the old theme versions don't work anymore.

Btw: does anyone know if it is possible to add new badges for upcoming OSs like HSierra to the theme withouth changing Ozmosis itself? Is there an automated OS detection to select certain badges within the theme?

Btw: does anyone know if it is possible to add new badges for upcoming OSs like HSierra to the theme withouth changing Ozmosis itself? Is there an automated OS detection to select certain badges within the theme?

I debug Oz once (cant remember when), and cannot figure out how can we trick those problem with my patched Oz. I believe (in green) is something important values to be readed by Oz. Changing "00_00" value to Darwin / OS vers still doesnt help, and Oz will use the generic one as a fallback.

Put the Ubuntu partition as one of the first boot options in BIOS so that it should appear as one of the first entries. If it appears in OzmGUI this way then there's no detection but an out of bounds error.

Theoretically you can edit the horizontaltheme to be able to show more boot options. You can also try to use the black theme and see if it shows more entries but keep in mind that some of the old theme versions don't work anymore.

Thats a good idea changing the boot order in bios but not sure how to edit the horizontaltheme or use the black theme. Going to have to research that subject and read old posts,

Thanks

@cecekpawon @davidm71

The theme (in its non-compressed Version) consists of an XML/plist file and a huge list of PNG files with their HEX Data just copied underneath. You can extract every image and the XML by copying + pasting them into seperate files and giving them the right suffix. Every PNG has an implemented tEXt function to identify itself. This function is what you can see in cecekpawons screenshot.

It seems like Ozmosis selects the right image according to this function. The plist at the beginning of the theme file refers to certain images with an ID and the file type which equals to the last 2 numbers of the tEXt function and the first word. For example: Badge.Generic_00_00 = type: Badge; ID: 0.

As for the types, there are:

Font (for Text), Pointer (mouse), Bus Image (connector type), Button (buttons for Shell, Info, Option and link to Firmware) , Device (Internal, External, Optical Disk), Badge (gets displayed on top of the Device image) (for every OS there's one Badge, unknown = generic), Selector (the selector image displayed under/around/over... the selected OS) and Special (can be added to the device picture if it's for example the recovery or a legacy partition).

The XML section of the theme refers to most of these types but nowhere to the Badge files. So I think that not the theme itself, but Ozmosis.efi determines which Badge it should use according to the OS thats installed on the drive. But how can we add new Badges for new operating systems like HighSierra? Is there a need for adding something to ozmosis so that a new Badge would be used or does a new Badge just need a certain name or ID to get recognized?

@devidm71 You have to edit the right values within the theme XML file to change the width of the boot images. I think the default-value is 200 in height and width.

No I don't use that value in my defaults.plist. 

Also made a youtube video showing that theres a bug in the Oz  bootmenu:

Looks like an out of bounds bug..

What about the 'Text Boot Menu' ?

Do you still have missing BootEntries ?

What about the 'Text Boot Menu' ?

Do you still have missing BootEntries ?

Not sure how to get into pure 'Text Mode' Boot menu..

disable userinterface?

Thanks

Edit: For some reason all of a sudden I can load Ubuntu from Oz boot menu. I have two boot menu items though for Ubuntu differentiated by their version numbers. Even in bios theres two Ubuntu disks differentiated by version numbers and each just like in the Oz boot menu load the same Ubuntu desktop environment. 

I suppose I have to delete the extra boot menu item in the shell using bcfg or something?

For some reason on my system Oz fails to see my Ubuntu partition where as Clover has no problem.  The issue is that there are three linux partitions in total and Oz sees only two of them and misses seeing the grub loader partition. I know its there because Clover sees it and loads into Ubuntu.

@davidm71

I have this problem all the time with ArchLinux when I install other OS that change de boot partition, like Win10 with EFI for example.

What I do to solve this is boot Arch with pendrive and do the EFI boot for Arch again with GRUB.

But I don't know how to do this with Ubuntu.

@davidm71

I have this problem all the time with ArchLinux when I install other OS that change de boot partition, like Win10 with EFI for example.

What I do to solve this is boot Arch with pendrive and do the EFI boot for Arch again with GRUB.

But I don't know how to do this with Ubuntu.

Maybe using Clover to boot the ubuntu partition fixed it as my linux partitions is working now fwiw..  just got to be careful pressing the right arrow key too much..  however I can't get rid of the duplicate boot entry for Ubuntu. I went into hermit shell and did a 'bcfg boot dump' and tried deleting the linux boot entry with the lesser version number but it returns upon every reboot. According to bcfg both boot entries refer to the same partition and have the same hard drive identification guid number leading to an EFI\Boot folder with a filename like 'Vmlinuz-xxxxxxx036' vs 039. So it makes me wonder if I delete those files in the linux boot folder that reference the lesser version number would that remove the duplicate entry?

Anyhow as an aside I think it would be great if us modders can come up with different themes for Oz with different colors and visuals. I don't think the main developers would care about that. I only wonder if changing the theme requires changing the firmware directly or just  replacing the file in the EFI folder be good enough?

Thanks

I debug Oz once (cant remember when), and cannot figure out how can we trick those problem with my patched Oz. I believe (in green) is something important values to be readed by Oz. Changing "00_00" value to Darwin / OS vers still doesnt help, and Oz will use the generic one as a fallback.

@cecekpawon, @TypeThree

Where do you pull that theme.bin file from? I used UefiTool to extract the raw body from horizontaltheme and got an xml file with font, color, and other values but no tEXT values. Theres some binary at the end of file. I suppose thats the png files you mentioned. Just confused how to extract those png files?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind.. Found it! 

Yosh david Ive learned from this hacker to get all pngs ==>

@cecekpawon, @alanlcarlos,

Thanks. Is it necessary to place the theme.bin file back into the firmware or can it be loaded from the 'EFI\OZ' folder if I already have an ozmosistheme file in my rom? 

Don't want to over flash my system while I test out different themes..

Thanks