nVidia web drivers

24 posts in this topic

I am over my head.

I tried my best to hack this to work on Mavericks and I can't do it.

Can anyone take this on?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-313.01.02f01-driver.html

This is what I found so far:

You need to have a MacPro3,1 or higher SMBios to install

You need to use the minimum OS to 10.8.3 and use the build number of 12E55 in your SystemVersion.plist

Those two are necessary. 

• Like 1

Yo dude you're going to have to do some reversing and binary rewriting. Looks like the APIs have changed in 10.9, which is to be expected. How significantly is the question. I might have some time tonight to bust out IDA Pro, but the linker might also run into further errors after fixing the first few, so this could easily take me a week+ if I didn't have a day job.

This is what happens when you try to load Resman. There might be an easier hack, but I don't know objective c internals well enough to know... so my first approach would be to determine what the assembly looks like when a class uses OSDeclareDefaultStructors and OSDefineMetaClassAndStructors and try to inject that into the OSObject classes the binary so it can link properly.

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost com.apple.kextd[12]: WARNING - Invalid signature -67050 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA16 for kext "/Users/mark/oldnvidia/NVDAResmanWeb.kext"

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.NVDAResmanWeb]: Relocation failed because some class in this kext didn't use the OSDeclareDefaultStructors and OSDefineMetaClassAndStructors, so it still references __ZN9IOService19_RESERVEDIOService0Ev, which has been patched with another symbol for binary compatibility. Please make sure all classes that inherit from OSObject use these macros.

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.NVDAResmanWeb - link failed.

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.NVDAResmanWeb.

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.NVDAResmanWeb failed to load (0xdc008016).

Jul  1 11:38:09 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.NVDAResmanWeb (error 0xdc008016).

• 1 month later...

Lastly, unless you need CUDA and/or PhysX support, the drivers themselves are pointless, even in Mountain Lion - the exception is if you have a GTX7xx or TITAN.  GeForce 5xx and 6xx (up to and including the GTX5xx/6xx) are supported directly in ML and Mavericks - a lot more than can be said for their AMD equivalents (HD5xxx/6xxx).  No, I'm NOT picking on AMD here - I migrated from HD5450 to my GTX550Ti, and I didn't even have OS X in mind when I migrated, for reasons having to do with getting a great hardware deal.  However, my experience with the new (to me) GTX550Ti has been painless, and utterly, if not scarily, so.

• 2 months later...

mavericks isn't working like it should and vidoe cards that should work don't and there is eithera black screen or no 3d accleration. the GTX4xx and 500 series is having problems for sure.

I am on a Mac Pro 1,1 using a PC GTX 570 running Mavericks and am having no problems. The Mac Pro 1,1 is not supported by Mavericks so I am using Chameleon to boot.

I don't have hwmonitor installed yet but the Heaven benchmark shows GPU temp.

Letting it run, it'll reach 82 degrees after a while (as it always has), but if I stop it by clicking the menu bar temps quickly drop down below 60 degrees.

Heaven.png

AFAIR idle temp was about 35 degrees in Mountain Lion. Let me grab hwmonitor and I'll see what I can see.

/EDIT yep Riley you're right..it seems to be cooking at full throttle:

hwmon.png

On Windows, only Firefox open, it jumps around a bit but temps stay reasonable:
GPU 324-744-769 MHz
MEM 162-405-1502 MHz
TMP 37-38C
FAN 30% - 1230 RPM

You also don't have power management. If you check you'll see the card is running in it's highest power state from boot.

I am running two GTX670's on 10.9.  MB is P9X79WS with RampageDev's SSDT-based injection solution. 

Anyhow, I noticed that both cards throttle down correctly at rest.  The only two things I did in addition to the above are adding a 2nd card injection entry in the SSDT and also installing CUDA drivers (they are out for 10.9).  

Might be worth adding the CUDA drivers and seeing if that gives power management some visibility.  If you have a single card I am not sure you would need to inject anything for a single 660.  

I am still not getting the 2nd card to throttle up correctly with OpenGL taskings, so am hopeful the "retail" drivers will address this when released.   Also unsure about QE/CI... Chess and Screen Savers animate, but no ripple in Dashboard.  Unsure if this is a reliable test under 10.9.  

David

So far I found "0" solution on this issue because the problem is caused by the NVidia kexts so If I remove nv* I get display with no acceleration or choppy video.

I tried all methods but no luck. I have everything working except proper display (my card 8600GT 512 MB ) if anyone have the answer please share it.

Thanks

I found this post because I was interested in the WebDrivers, however my GT 610 and GTS 250 have already been working great under Mavericks. On my machine using the GT 610 I had to remove all of the AppleIntelHD* kexts to get past a black screen.

I have a GeForce gt 430 and every time it try to get it working I get a black screen. When I boot verbose it says That it is loaded and registered and it says nvidia official startup but then I get a black screen... Any suggestions?

My help topic. Check this out :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293766-graphic-issue-or-something-geforce-gt430/

• 4 weeks later...

The delay may have something to do with the fact that the OpenGL level was upgraded to 4.1 with Mavericks, so they also have to implement new OpenGL functionality into all the drivers. For instance, now the drivers need to support tessellation, among other things.

And it seems they're not exactly up to the par of Windows 8.1, and from the comments on that post, it seems those are beaten even more so by running the benchmark from Linux. How much of this is up to the display drivers, and how much is up to the operating system API layers, is unknown to me, but maybe somebody knows.

I do know that I was recently attempting to play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in Dolphin 4.0, and the new GLSL code makes it slow down to 80% or worse solely due to the GPU. And it regularly causes the GPU to lock up, which halts everything on the display including other applications on my second monitor, except for the mouse cursor.

I would play it on my Wii, since I bought it years ago, but I hate the waggle controls. Hence the GameCube version in an emulator.

Off topic, but vaguely related. Maybe updated web drivers could make that playable, or maybe not. In the mean time, I'll stick to playing it in my dual boot Linux setup.

• 3 weeks later...

probably apple and nvidia, obivously apple would need some classified infrom from nvidia to write such drivers. it's just proprietary nonsense.

i'm wating for an iatkos version of mavericks since it black screens with the MSI GTX480

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I Still have the black screen issue after 10.9.2 update, I can't get to the desktop, unless I use nv_disable=1 bootflag but I don't have QE/CI if I do. Tried GraphicsEnable=No or Yes IGPEnabler=No or yes, npci=0x3000 & 2000 etc… but no way. What is the correct combination to make it works ? Now, I have a system reset after boot. My monitor is plugged via an DVI-VGA adaptor.