New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

@toperloid According to the logs the driver is working fine but it fails to pick up the MAC address. This is the reason why it doesn't work as expected on your machine because DHCP fails to acquire an IP address due to the broken MAC address. I'll try to find a solution for it and will publish a new test build ASAP.

EDIT: What happens if you enable the UEFI network stack in BIOS?

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

On 4/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, macky1 said:

Thank you for your suggestion will try it out. I've got a feeling it is the network stack and thus possibly Mojave bug.

So far in testing of beta RealtekRTL8111-V2.3.0d5 it works good. Whatever the issue was with the driver v2.2.2 using RTL8111H on Mojave it has disappeared in this version. Internet starts up every time now.

Thanks Mieze for the updated driver.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, Roran90 said:

I have the same issue, how did you solve the issue? I tried a clear cmos, I changed the cable but still have the problem and it is very annoying 

Try beta version RealtekRTL8111-V2.3.0d5 and see how it goes. So far for me it works good.

3 hours ago, toperloid said:

@Mieze sorry for late reply. My BIOS does not have that option, unfortunately. 

My device is this using coreboot (mrchromebox) bios running in High Sierra if that info helps

No problem! I'm currently investigating possible solutions to resolve situations when retrieving the MAC address fails. Either way I could use a random MAC address or add an option to supply a fallback address and I'm not quite sure which way to go because both methods have drawbacks.

2 minutes ago, Mieze said:

No problem! I'm currently investigating possible solutions to resolve situations when retrieving the MAC address fails. Either way I could use a random MAC address or add an option to supply a fallback address and I'm not quite sure which way to go because both methods have drawbacks.

What would be the drawback of manually supplying one? it requires more user work, but seems the solid route. a random one could change and that could cause all sorts of havoc (software license tied to MAC for instance). This issue is probably rare to begin with, I think a plist edit is a good solution for a fallback address. just make sure its disabled by default so it requires user interaction (adding a valid address and enabling the fallback).

g\

4 hours ago, genzai said:

What would be the drawback of manually supplying one? it requires more user work, but seems the solid route. a random one could change and that could cause all sorts of havoc (software license tied to MAC for instance). This issue is probably rare to begin with, I think a plist edit is a good solution for a fallback address. just make sure its disabled by default so it requires user interaction (adding a valid address and enabling the fallback).

Problems arise when the fallback isn't properly configured, e.g. when multiple machines are using he same MAC address or there is no valid fallback address supplied. On the other hand using a random address also might cause trouble as it will change on each and every boot. I'm still not sure what to do but will have to make a decision tomorrow.

Mieze :cat:

• Like 1

@toperloid This one is especially for you but all users are encouraged to test it! 

Here is version 2.3.0d7 in which I added an option to supply a fallback MAC being used in situations when retrieving a valid MAC address fails.

In the driver's Info.plist I added the option "fallbackMAC" to "Driver Parameters". "fallbackMAC" is a string which may be used to supply your original MAC address. It is used only if retrieving a valid MAC address fails. In the default configuration, the string is empty. In case you need it, please fill in your MAC with the following syntax "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" in which every x represents exactly one hexadecimal digit.

Warning: This is not an option for MAC address customization and I won't add such an option because it would be stupid to do so. Use with care because MAC addresses have to be unique. Using another machine's MAC address may produce unexpected results!

PS: Could anybody be so nice to test test WoL with this built because it doesn't work on my test machine and I have reasons to beliefe that it's not the driver's responsibility.

RealtekRTL8111-V2.3.0d7.kext.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver works perfectly on my signature rig. WoL works...but not reliably. It seems to loop back on its own. From 3 tests, the first one was ok, the following two, bounced back almost immediately after going to sleep.

I'll test a bit more and update if anything interesting comes up.

WoL from shutdown works with no hiccups (so far).

Update:

Batch test nr 2 from sleep:

[Attempt nr. | result]

01 | ok
02 | nok 
03 | ok
04 | nok
05 | ok
06 | nok
07 | ok
08 | nok
09 | ok
10 | nok

Ok = went to sleep ok, woke up by network trigger
Nok = sleep not ok, woke up on its own

First attempt made after a complete shutdown and reboot (just to have clear results).

Batch test nr 2 from shutdown:

[Attempt nr. | result]

01 | ok
02 | ok
03 | ok
04 | ok
05 | ok
06 | ok
07 | ok
08 | ok
09 | ok
10 | ok

Ok = shutdown ok, rebooted by network trigger

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, txlajiwo said:

Hello, could you please help to check whether realtek killer e3000 can use this driver? Thank you very much!

Realtek Killer E3000 is based on RTL8125/RTL8125AG.

And could you delete the translated texts you quoted? It's unnecessary to quote #1.

Edited by Henry2010

53 minutes ago, Henry2010 said:

Realtek Killer E3000 is based on RTL8125/RTL8125AG.

And could you delete the translated texts you quoted? It's unnecessary to quote #1.

Thank you for your answer, please forgive me for any inconvenience, deleted, thank you!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, arsradu said:

atch test nr 2 from sleep:

[Attempt nr. | result]

01 | ok
02 | nok 
03 | ok
04 | nok
05 | ok
06 | nok
07 | ok
08 | nok
09 | ok
10 | nok

Ok = went to sleep ok, woke up by network trigger
Nok = sleep not ok, woke up on its own

First attempt made after a complete shutdown and reboot (just to have clear results).

Batch test nr 2 from shutdown:

[Attempt nr. | result]

01 | ok
02 | ok
03 | ok
04 | ok
05 | ok
06 | ok
07 | ok
08 | ok
09 | ok
10 | ok

Ok = shutdown ok, rebooted by network trigger

Thank you very much for the support. I'm going to check the code again as your test results indicate that there might be a race condition in the driver code. As already mentioned, WoL didn't work at all with my Asrock B85M Pro4 but it works perfectly with the Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3.

• 2 weeks later...

No because this chip isn't supported by the underlying Linux driver. I could make a new driver but as there are no add-on cards with this chip available and I need hardware to test, there won't be any macOS driver in the near future.

Mieze :cat:

Hi @Mieze, with the latest driver my ethernet works fine but sometimes when I turn on my hackintosh, it has a self-assigned ip and I need to unplug the cable from router then plug in again and a new IP is assigned.Could this be a driver issue or it depends from something else in the configuration? thanks

@Roran90 Sounds more like a DHCP related problem. Anyway, check the kernel logs to see what's going on!

@Henry2010 Yesterday I ordered one of these RTL8125 add-on cards on aliexpress but it won't be delivered before mid of November.

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 5

Can someone please point me to the debug version of the driver? My search has been unfruitful.

I am having intermittent ethernet issues on Catalina. I thought I narrowed it down to the router having issues but I ruled that out.

I can recover the interface by taking it down and bringing it back up (ifconfig en0 down and up) so I suspect the driver is behaving strange but I don't have any logs to prove it one way or another.

EDIT:  After pulling my hair out for a bit. I found a rouge WIFI extender out in the garage was causing an IP conflict with my main router (which it shouldn't do). So instead of relying on DHCP I gave the extender a static IP address which seemed to fix everything.

It seemed to affect my hackintosh most which confused the issue and made me go down the wrong path. 

Edited by edifice98

• 2 weeks later...