New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, Mieze said:

I discovered a small bug in 2.3.0d3 and will publish version 2.4.0d4 in a few moments. In case I'll get a few more positive results, I'll also post a release version here in this thread during the weekend.

Mieze :cat:

Good morning @Mieze thanks for your upcoming updated version, should we expect a release on your Git repository a package of Debug/Release kexts? Am I correct to assume that 2.4.0 will work with Mojave 10.14 as minimum? Thank you.

Here is version 2.4.0d5 in which I fixed an issue with EEE support. The archive contains a debug and a release build and was built for Mojave and above. Provided nothing unexpected happens, I think we are pretty close to an official release 2.4.0. I'll continue to support Mojave and, in case there is a demand, High Sierra too. Let's see what users have to say about High Sierra?

RealtekRTL8111-V2.4.0d5.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2.4.0d5 works fine here on 10.15.7 with FD+FC+EEE.

I think maybe another year for 10.13? Because a lot of people still stay with it.

Or some of them would upgrade to Mojave next year once Apple releases the last security update for it.

Edited by Henry2010
  • Thanks 1

I'm using OpenWRT on my Netgear R7800 router too but I can't confirm the issue. See screenshot below. Keep in mind that in case you are using jumbo frames, all devices involved with communication must support them. It might also be a problem with your router?

Does it work when you disable jumbo frames?

2097141870_Bildschirmfoto2020-10-17um16_58_30.thumb.png.48b3cf4a945124d7aa4c6b0e8ac68ef2.png

Edited by Mieze

/targets/ramips/mt7620/ here.

Do you mean trying FD+EEE only? BRB.

No, that doesn't work either. Maybe related to the 100baseTX mode. The router only offers that speed.

Plus, SSH-ing into the router always gets "client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe" and breaks up the connection.

Edited by Henry2010

Duplex and EEE shouldn't have any effect. Try disabling jumbo frames (MTU 1500) first and see if it works. I case of yes, increase MTU step by step, e.g. 2000, 4500, 9000, and check the result. By the way, which Realtek chipset do you use?

Mieze 

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

Duplex and EEE shouldn't have any effect. Try disabling jumbo frames (MTU 1500) first and see if it works. I case of yes, increase MTU step by step, e.g. 2000, 4500, 9000, and check the result. By the way, which Realtek chipset do you use?

Mieze 

Thanks.

Gigabyte's website says 8111F.

And here only 1280 to 1500 is allowed...

The router only offers 100Mbps.

If possible, you probably need to limit jumbo frames for 1000Mbps only.

Edited by Henry2010

@Henry2010 Please send me you kernel logs, or take a look at the driver's entry in IORegistry in order to identify the exact chipset. Unfortunately it's not possible to limit jumbo frames to gigabit connections because of the way the configuration interface works.

Am I right to assume that everything is working fine with MTU 1500 in your network? Have you tried jumbo frames with a gigabit connection to another device in your network which is known to support jumbo frames?

Mieze

@Henry2010 Thanks for the test. Looks like the router is causing the problem because many Fast Ethernet devices don't support jumbo frames at all and simply treat them as bad packets.

As I also have an RTL8111E-VL, I will run some additional tests with this chip accessing my OpenWRT router just to be sure.

EDIT: Accessing my OpenWRT router with the RTL8111E-VL and Jumbo frames (MTU 9000) enabled works fine for me.

Edited by Mieze
Added test result
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Mieze said:

@Henry2010 According to your IOReg screenshot you are running version 2.3.0 which doesn't support jumbo frames.

Before I took the pic, I changed it from 2.4.0.d5 back to 2.3.0 in order to fix my router, because when it was 2.4.0.d5, I thought it was broken and flashed 19.07.4 and several snapshots. And as I said, even SSH-ing did not work.

Also, 1000Mbps does NOT work. I set it to show you MTU cannot be more than 1500 here. The router only offers 100Mbps.

Edited by Henry2010
  • Like 1

Hello, Laura. I'd like to report a bug with the latest version of your kext (maybe other versions are affected as well). I've been sharing wifi connection through ethernet that's powered by your kext and the problem is that it shares only if the cable is connected prior to ticking the checkbox of "internet sharing". If the receiving computer restarts or powers off, it then obtains ipv4 and v6 from from the sharing hack, but nothing pings even locally. I've had a usb Gbe AX88179 lying around and decided to give that a try - and it does not produce that behaviour, the other side connects normally to the internet after restar or cable disconnection. I'd be happy to provide the details if you cannot reproduce the bug such as the exact controller name and whatsoever. Currently writing from another machine.

P.S.

the problem is definetly on Realtek side, as I've tried connecting and keeping that connection alive from different controllers. 

3 hours ago, rotoyouoio said:

the problem is definetly on Realtek side, as I've tried connecting and keeping that connection alive from different controllers. 

No way because a driver handles packets, nothing more and nothing less. What your are describing falls into the realm of the network stack and is far beyond the scope of the driver. Therefore I can rule out a driver issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Mieze.

Thank you for the driver,  been working for me, since 10.12, no problem, NONE.

Now, 11.0.1,  Clover loader hit the Wall, no go.

Switched to OpenCore,  install and boot no problem,  LAN driver will not load.

Rollback to 10.15.7 with OpenCore, not loading,  => OpenCore andOr Plist problem.

I do not know what parameters/patches, needed to be added to plist.

But, driver still work, by manually,  install it onto Library Extension.

this tool, make it easy: chris1111

https://github.com/chris1111/Kext-Droplet

Add 1 entry on plist, fixed the Lan Loading thing:

image.png.04f895a01bbf1543aae66c37badd439d.png

Edited by aww
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:31 AM, subandit said:

i'd like report that new 2.3 and 2.4 (beta) dont work.

This is a user error because either

1. you haven't been smart enough to make it work
  2. or you haven't been smart enough to file a problem report which allows me to reproduce the issue or narrow it down to a certain cause

Therefore the only thing I can recommend you is to fix your system or read the instructions.

Edited by Mieze

This evening I tested the latest development version of the driver (2.4.0d5) under Big Sur and can confirm that it's working as expected with both of my test devices, RTL8111E-VL (chipset 16) and RTL8111H (chipset 29). 

• Like 2

For me on Big sur (under opencore bootloader v0.63), version 2.2 shows no problem.

Version 2.3 load the device, but can't connect the internet and after few minutes system freezes.

Update: The version 2.4.0d5 have the same issue. 

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 13.18.48.png

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 13.39.52.png

Edited by plsh2me

@plsh2me

looking at your uploaded image,  your kext were installed on LE,

OpenCore will not rebuild the kext cache, may need to reinstall it.(the kext)

The installer will rebuild it,

for me, sometime, i have to do it 3 times,

see my other post for install RTL8111.(in OpenCore's Folder)

image.thumb.png.36ca42ec1353e6f7fdc90b156363ca31.png

Edited by aww