New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Good afternoon.
There is an ASUS P9X79 Le motherboard, it has a built-in Ethernet - Realtek 8111F and when the operating system boots, the process hangs on

[ PCI configuration begin ]

If you disconnect the network card in the BIOS, then the operating system boots successfully. Tell me what you can do?
I cannot execute the command "log show --predicate" processID == 0 "--debug" - since the operating system will not boot.
I also cannot not use the boot flags "npci = 0x2000 or npci = 0x3000" - without them the video card does not work (I get such an image)

Spoiler

2038143891_2021-08-2600_23_26.thumb.png.505e6b83f2c084e4f23a2abbb30fe595.png

Edited by NEOSoftWare

searched through this thread but couldn't find an answer to these two questions:

1. is this driver compatible with add-on PCIe ethernet cards that have the 8111 chipset? (Sonnet Presto Gigabit PCIe in my case)

2. does it support AVB Audio?

thankyou so much!!  

2 hours ago, martthie_08 said:

searched through this thread but couldn't find an answer to these two questions:

1. is this driver compatible with add-on PCIe ethernet cards that have the 8111 chipset? (Sonnet Presto Gigabit PCIe in my case)

2. does it support AVB Audio?

thankyou so much!!  

1. PCIDs are PCIDs if they are contained in the .kext and it matches it loads the driver for it. That is how these things work in an OS during hardware discovery process, it does not matter if the chips are on the motherboard or add-in card. The way to be certain is to install the driver and see if it loads for your card.

2. No clue have never heard of it until now.

thanks for your reply.

I installed the 2.4.2 version of this kext and verified it successfully loaded with kextstat.

Unfortunately, when I go to System Preferences - Network - Advanced - Hardware there is no option for AVB

too bad, might have to shell out some cash for the current Sonnet 10G card, which is supported natively and has AVB too. Bit overkill, but oh well...

Edited by martthie_08

just a quick follow-up to my last message:

I did some more testing both with 2.4.2 and 2.2.2 version of this driver and although the interface shows up in the System Preferences - Network and I can configure it there,

LAN does not work (only tested AVB the other day when I wrote my last post).

When I insert the cable from my router into the NIC card (Sonnet Presto Gigabit PCIe), the Network System Preference keeps jumping back and forth between "Not Connected" and "Cable Unplugged". In the left column of the preference it stays red and says "Not Connected". Please note everything works fine with the onboard network interface.

I assume the kext is not properly loaded or that it is in conflict with IntelMausi.kext or that there are other issues.

This is with Big Sur 11.5 on OpenCore Version 0.6.7, RealtekRTL8111.kext in EFI - OC - Kexts and the extension listed in config.plist as the last entry after WhateverGreen.

A couple pages back I noticed @aww adding it to /L/E to make it work, but I'd rather not go that route if it's avoidable.

34 minutes ago, martthie_08 said:

I assume the kext is not properly loaded or that it is in conflict with IntelMausi.kext or that there are other issues.

This is with Big Sur 11.5 on OpenCore Version 0.6.7, RealtekRTL8111.kext in EFI - OC - Kexts and the extension listed in config.plist as the last entry after WhateverGreen.

The IntelMausi should not be loading if you have done the proper thing and disabled the onboard when adding an internal pci-e card. A .kext will only load if it detects the hardware enabled during the hardware discovery process. Not to mention you should not have a .kext in the config,plist that is not intended to be used, it makes no sense to do it that way.

6 hours ago, martthie_08 said:

well, I will need to continue to use my mainboards Intel Ethernet for my internet. 

The extra PCI card is for my AVB audio interface that needs a completely separate network.

So there is a method to your madness, a first for me never heard of an audio interface that needed a special network to work. Indeed you do learn something new every day.

• 1 month later...

I have a gigabyte z390 ud motherboard with Realtek RTL8111 chip, version 2.3.0 does not work properly on both big sur and Monterey systems, it only works properly with version 2.4.2 I have tried to erase the network configuration and the system persists if you connect but there is a network connection delay that makes it impossible to do things decently

Cat8 Ethernet cable I just asked for it I think the problem and the connection is bad if I update the kext it is a slow connection. I just ordered this cat8 cable to see but I think there is the problem, mine is cat51883207024_2021-10-0222_11_31.thumb.jpg.bd766ffb712ee3e2ce74d9cfced2f3d1.jpg

Edited by kaoskinkae

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 5:48 AM, kaoskinkae said:

I have a gigabyte z390 ud motherboard with Realtek RTL8111 chip, version 2.3.0 does not work properly on both big sur and Monterey systems, it only works properly with version 2.4.2 I have tried to erase the network configuration and the system persists if you connect but there is a network connection delay that makes it impossible to do things decently

Cat8 Ethernet cable I just asked for it I think the problem and the connection is bad if I update the kext it is a slow connection. I just ordered this cat8 cable to see but I think there is the problem, mine is cat5

I have Realtek RTL8111 chip on my motherboard. Try version 2.3.0d5

I have been using this kext for a long time with no issues.

https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=331774

Edited by macky1

• 8 months later...

Updated MacOS from BigSur to Monterey 12.4 due to a GPU change; now Realtek RTL8111 doesn't seem to work anymore. 

As someone described previously, it just switches between `Cable Unplugged` and `Not Connected`. This is on a GA Z490 UD; I've tested various versions of the kext, none of them changed anything.  I can confirm the kext is loaded, but that's about it. 

Edited by Adyjay

4 hours ago, Adyjay said:

now Realtek RTL8111 doesn't seem to work anymore. 

Just update whatever the latest of Mieze's release, since it has been almost a year that nobody (including me) reported about the issue you're having on monterey

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...