Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2020 at 4:05 AM, ShroomKing said:

the patch for 1024mb vram can break with system updates right? i'm asking cause i just updated to 10.15.6 dev beta 2 and it's back to 512mb.

it was working fine on 10.15.5 and 10.15.6 dev beta 1.

btw thanks for adding an opencore config. i love how fast it boots. also maybe it's placebo but i feel like macos is running slightly faster with opencore

the same patch should work since the gfx kexts are the same from 10.13 onward. 

it could be a placebo. if you are happy, then it works!  Clover and OpenCore are boot managers - once macOs is booted well then the boot mgrs are done. but i havent had a gfx freeze on my 8GB AUO T420. but it could be because i changed to a different EDID.

glad that 10.15.6 still works!

Edited by tluck

hey @tluck thanks for doing this and the guide, although this is my first time installing mac os on T420, it works perfectly! Although I think I need to use more pressure whenever I move my cursor with my touch pad, is this expected or is there any fix for this or a configuration?

@wadaw123 glad it worked out for you. on touchpad/trackpad pressure - you can adjust it by changeing the FingerZ value. look in the SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl  maybe change to 30. recompile with the iasl tool provided (run: iasl SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl ) then move the resulting .aml to replace the original in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

On 6/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, heavyhdx said:

Has anyone tried macOS 11 Big Sur yet?

no i will see if dosdude can create a patch process. and it seems he tends to wait for GA. 

is anyone who use 1366x768 can avoid glitches?  I have down grade to 10.12 a long time,and it works well,except it have no dark theme。if anyone use 1366x768 (Mojave or Catalina ), and have no glitches, pls let me known

Edited by klwang

Hi, my "forward" and "backward" keys (the ones near the arrow keys) don't work, and they aren't picked up by karabiner nor Bettertouchtool, does anyone have a solution ?

I feel like i have looked anywhere and i didn't find any.

btw a big thanks for the 1024 vram mod, I think it fixed my graphical glitches on 10.13.6 !

22 hours ago, Bhleg said:

Hi, my "forward" and "backward" keys (the ones near the arrow keys) don't work, and they aren't picked up by karabiner nor Bettertouchtool, does anyone have a solution ?

I feel like i have looked anywhere and i didn't find any.

btw a big thanks for the 1024 vram mod, I think it fixed my graphical glitches on 10.13.6 !

well. i never use them so never noticed. i think the debug version of voodoops2 may provide keystroke info?

On 6/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, tluck said:

well. i never use them so never noticed. i think the debug version of voodoops2 may provide keystroke info?

I installed the debug version of voodoops2 and it picked the key, e06a=80 and e06a=80

My assumption was that the key were rebind to a bogus ps2 code (I didnt find any key with the 80 ps2 code for macos) so i tried to rebind them in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl but that didnt work.

I'm not very familiar with macos so I'm not even sure that my syntax in SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl was correct, do you have any idea ?

6 hours ago, Bhleg said:

I installed the debug version of voodoops2 and it picked the key, e06a=80 and e06a=80

My assumption was that the key were rebind to a bogus ps2 code (I didnt find any key with the 80 ps2 code for macos) so i tried to rebind them in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl but that didnt work.

I'm not very familiar with macos so I'm not even sure that my syntax in SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl was correct, do you have any idea ?

yeah if you look in the ApplePS2ToADBMap.h file the kext these keys are mapped to nothing...  

DEADKEY,// e0 69  WWW Forward

DEADKEY,// e0 6a  WWW Back

compared to

0x73,   // e0 47  Home

0x7e,   // e0 48  Up Arrow

0x74,   // e0 49  Page Up

DEADKEY,// e0 4a

0x7b,   // e0 4b  Left Arrow

On 7/2/2020 at 5:28 AM, tluck said:

yeah if you look in the ApplePS2ToADBMap.h file the kext these keys are mapped to nothing...  

DEADKEY,// e0 69  WWW Forward

DEADKEY,// e0 6a  WWW Back

compared to

0x73,   // e0 47  Home

0x7e,   // e0 48  Up Arrow

0x74,   // e0 49  Page Up

DEADKEY,// e0 4a

0x7b,   // e0 4b  Left Arrow

Thank you !

I was finaly able to remap the key, I edited the key in the ApplePS2ToADBMap.h file and compiled the kext and it worked.

btw a final question, from what I understand a kext is a driver, so in order to rebind a key I ended up editing and recompiling a driver wich seem a bit overkill, was there a simple method, like editing a config file I didnt know about ?

On 7/3/2020 at 1:20 AM, Bhleg said:

Thank you !

I was finaly able to remap the key, I edited the key in the ApplePS2ToADBMap.h file and compiled the kext and it worked.

btw a final question, from what I understand a kext is a driver, so in order to rebind a key I ended up editing and recompiling a driver wich seem a bit overkill, was there a simple method, like editing a config file I didnt know about ?

glad it helped. well if you look in the kext you can modify the Info.plist to change parameters - does not require recompiling. or maybe easier is change the key maps in SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.dsl (but you do need to recompile to new aml file)

@freddie the way I do updates:

1) get latest Catalina tool from Dosdude1

2) downloaded Catalina from AppStore.

3) create USB with the Catallina Packager on GPT formatted USB - make sure installer is set to install post patches automatically.

4) optional: put Clover ESP on USB - not really needed since Clover on T420 can boot the USB

5) reboot and select the USB and reinstall macOS. 

4 hours ago, tluck said:

@freddie the way I do updates:

1) get latest Catalina tool from Dosdude1

2) downloaded Catalina from AppStore.

3) create USB with the Catallina Packager on GPT formatted USB - make sure installer is set to install post patches automatically.

4) optional: put Clover ESP on USB - not really needed since Clover on T420 can boot the USB

5) reboot and select the USB and reinstall macOS. 

OK thanks!

I need to backup everything then... :no:

Do you find it more stable than 10.15.4?

2 hours ago, freddie said:

OK thanks!

I need to backup everything then... :no:

Do you find it more stable than 10.15.4?

no you install on top the existing version - you dont need to wipe it clean. 

Hi all, I'm back again. I got frustrated with Catalina 10.15.3, was getting kernel panics. I've got rid of windows and back on Mojave. Want to try latest Catalina and see if that sees my ssd as I know 10.15.3 couldn't. Going to try tlucks oc and go from there.

Love macOS on my t420. Runs faster than Windows does. Thanks for all your hard work tluck

• Like 1

Hi all. Seem to have hit a wall. Copied oc files to usb efi and to my ssd, removed clover files but the USB still seems to boot clover and not show any of my drives. Im extremely noobish with the open core stuff

15941204183496008179534638960871.jpg

{censored}.. ive got to manually create my own config.plist. Guess opencore isn't for me then, I have zero clue how to do this. Still don't know why clover is still loading when it's not on my ssd nor usb 

Hello to all
I have install mac on my lenovo t420i with patcher and every things works fine, but some times a see some black lines in screen which appear and when screed updated like open another app it disappear.

is this a common problem or it can be corrected ?

my system specification is:

Screenshot_2020-07-07_20-36-09.png

Ok.. i keep getting denying core dump for pid, the loading bar under the apple logo gets full and doesn't boot up. Could this be because I have my ssd split in two? One portion has Mojave and the second is Catalina. Going to create a time machine backup of mojave and completely wipe my ssd and try again.

Or it could be the fact some of the patches on the post install section fail to apply and its always getting stuck on rebuilding caches

24 minutes ago, Sicole1811 said:

Ok.. i keep getting denying core dump for pid, the loading bar under the apple logo gets full and doesn't boot up. Could this be because I have my ssd split in two? One portion has Mojave and the second is Catalina. Going to create a time machine backup of mojave and completely wipe my ssd and try again.

Or it could be the fact some of the patches on the post install section fail to apply and its always getting stuck on rebuilding caches

you can have multiple volumes

but make sure you have 1 ESP

check for any nvram values.

if you want to boot OC you need to change the BOOT file

and there is a full config.plist for you.

i use this logic to switch from Clover to OC (or Back)

$ cat ~/bin/switch_bootmgr.bash 
#!/bin/bash

vol=$( espmount.bash / )
if [[ $? != '0' ]] 
then 
    printf "%s\n" "Error mounting /"
    exit
fi

cd $vol/EFI

if [[ -e BOOT.C ]]
then
    printf "%s\n" "Booting from Clover now"
    mv BOOT BOOT.OC
    mv BOOT.C BOOT
else
    printf "%s\n" "Booting from OpenCore now"
    mv BOOT BOOT.C
    mv BOOT.OC BOOT
fi

51 minutes ago, mortezaom said:

Hello to all
I have install mac on my lenovo t420i with patcher and every things works fine, but some times a see some black lines in screen which appear and when screed updated like open another app it disappear.

is this a common problem or it can be corrected ?

yes common and no good cure known. results depend on memory and LCD type (and the EDID)

Edited by tluck