Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Kralj said:

Why I cant boot with OpenCore ? Mounted EFI on my hard disk , deleted BOOT , and CLOVER , and put BOOT.OC and OC. I want to switch from Clover to OpenCore.

what is your config? the config i posted works for 1600x900 and specific CPU (SSDT for PM) . you may have to tweak to match.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, Kralj said:

Hello . Can someone give me Kext for Intel ethernet card for El Capitan ?

see here for a ooooold zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYtz2MZW1aIBX_MuCU473aI05AxRxiid/view?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:30 AM, Tetonne said:

Thread 'Update Directly to macOS Big Sur'
tony.../threads/update-directly-to-macos-big-sur.304629/

yes for supported platforms it should be pretty easy to upgrade. I have been pushing the lastest clover/oc builds and kexts to the repo. However, with the T420 and HD3000 gfx, we need the dosdude1 method to replace certain frameworks and drivers.

• Like 3

"found a proper solution that fits in any possible case!!
gibMacOS is able to download and build full macos installers that apple doesn’t release!

*download: https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS/archive/master.zip
*get the latest catalina or mojave with gibMacOS.command
*build a full installer .app with BuildmacOSInstallApp.command
*patch the full installer .app with dosdude’s patcher
*install your prefered way"

solution provided thanks to UNIKAT

Edited by Tetonne
  • Like 1

I tried latest CLOVER EFI from page 187 but it is not working for me - system crashes at startup. I upgraded to CLOVER 5199 (before OC merge) and latest version of Catalina (10.15.7 + Safari 14). Seems to be working fine for now. 

I'm thinking on staying on Catalina because the laptop is getting a bit slow and I don't think it is going to get any faster in Big Sur. I'm assuming nobody has been able to install it yet due to issues with HD3000. Even if we overcome this I wonder what is the experience going to be like in Big Sur ... probably not that great.

This laptop is now almost 10 years old and I'm thinking it is time to move on. Still has its usage doing remote learning for my kids. Thankful for that as Windows on the same machine was unusable. Amazing that you guys still support this ; BIG thanks from me and my kids ; but there is a limit how much you can push.

Maybe it is time to get that M1 Macbook ... It is kind of interesting since I was never "an Apple" person. I guess hackintoshes (have NUC as well) sucked me into Apple ecosystem. Amazing how stable those machines are ...

Edited by roki303

6 minutes ago, roki303 said:

I tried latest CLOVER EFI from page 187 but it is not working for me - system crashes at startup. I upgraded to CLOVER 5199 (before OC merge) and latest version of Catalina (10.15.7 + Safari 14). Seems to be working fine for now. 

I'm thinking on staying on Catalina because the laptop is getting a bit slow and I don't think it is going to get any faster in Big Sur. I'm assuming nobody has been able to install it yet due to issues with HD3000. Even if we overcome this I wonder what is the experience going to be like in Big Sur ... probably not that great.

This laptop is now almost 10 years old and I'm thinking it is time to move on. Still has its usage doing remote learning for my kids. Thankful for that as Windows on the same machine was unusable. Amazing that you guys still support this ; BIG thanks from me and my kids ; but there is a limit how much you can push.

Maybe it is time to get that M1 Macbook ... It is kind of interesting since I was never "an Apple" person. I guess hackintoshes (have NUC as well) sucked me into Apple ecosystem. Amazing how stable those machines are ...

I reset my Thinkpad from macOS years ago. Give it a chance to windows 10. Works like a charm.

Edited by trifero

With dosdude1 not being too optimistic about patching Big Sur for the HD3000 at all, dropping back to W10 is of course an option once Catalina shall become deprecated.

Nobody will stop us from using our favorite OSX/macOS off line with a T420, if need or desire say so.

W10, though a moving target, is not that bad on our T420. I only lost sound, once in a while.

Either way our black MBP were hilarious, while they lasted with macOS, just as tluck`s work to keep us updated. 

For us, its really easy throwing another OS onto the T420, much easier than with a real MBP 8,1. :)

Our wallets were not stressed much either, methinks.

Edited by goodguess
typo, as always.

51 minutes ago, goodguess said:

With dosdude1 not being too optimistic about patching Big Sur for the HD3000 at all, dropping back to W10 is of course an option once Catalina shall become deprecated.

Nobody will stop us from using our favorite OSX/macOS off line with a T420, if need or desire say so.

W10, though a moving target, is not that bad on our T420. I only lost sound, once in a while.

Either way our black MBP were hilarious, while they lasted with macOS, just as tluck`s work to keep us updated. 

For us, its really easy throwing another OS onto the T420, much easier than with a real MBP 8,1. :)

Our wallets were not stressed much either, methinks.

Anyway, still 2 years more with Catalina offiicial support. That´s a lot.

23 hours ago, trifero said:

Anyway, still 2 years more with Catalina offiicial support. That´s a lot.

yeah. could be the end of the road.

For me, I have always had a dual boot setup on my main SSD: Clover can boot either Windows 10 or MacOS. I dont use this box as my day-to-day system anymore, but it streams video to my TV quite well with Plex and HBOMax... and it also my TimeMachine for the various macs the family has. And it is rare these days that I actually need a windows app that I cant find on macOS, but I like having the Windows 10 option.

Edited by tluck

I recently tried hooking up the t420 to an older monitor I had laying around. (using VGA) 

But I wasn't able to get any output from it in Catalina, so I bought a DP-VGA adapter on ebay.

While I wait for it to arrive I was wondering if there's something else I had to do to get VGA output

People say it should work after waking from sleep or if VGA is plugged in before turning on the laptop but that doesn't seem to work, the monitor doesn't detect anything.

Does VGA just not work at all in Catalina or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, ShroomKing said:

I recently tried hooking up the t420 to an older monitor I had laying around. (using VGA) 

But I wasn't able to get any output from it in Catalina, so I bought a DP-VGA adapter on ebay.

While I wait for it to arrive I was wondering if there's something else I had to do to get VGA output

People say it should work after waking from sleep or if VGA is plugged in before turning on the laptop but that doesn't seem to work, the monitor doesn't detect anything.

Does VGA just not work at all in Catalina or am I missing something?

No VGA native in Mac Os X.

Edited by trifero
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I have a X220 with an 1366x768 panel. Clover working fine with Catalina.

Nevertheless I want to test Opencore since it is supposably way more modern.

When I was installing Catalina, laptop seems to boot because backlighting is on and after some time I hear a woman's voice from the setup assistant.

I finished the setup with Clover boot and I can't figure out what to change in OC to make display work.

The config.plist for 1366 is for Clover and not working with OC.

Can somebody please help me out here?

Very appreciated.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:55 AM, King A said:

Hi all,

When I was installing Catalina, laptop seems to boot because backlighting is on and after some time I hear a woman's voice from the setup assistant.

I finished the setup with Clover boot and I can't figure out what to change in OC to make display work.

Very appreciated.

so you have Clover and Catalina working. great. so why are you reinstalling the OS?

if you have a working OS, you can just switch the bootmanager in the EFI. with the zip you will have EFI/BOOT, EFI/BOOT.OC, EFI/CLOVER, EFI/OC - just rename/mv boot to boot.clover and the rename boot.oc to boot.

And is your Catalina installer made with the dosdude1 method?

On 12/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, trifero said:

No VGA native in Mac Os X.

@ShroomKing

well - you can use VGA on the T420 - there is a framebuffer patch in the config.plist that adds this port. it is not active so you have boot or resume from sleep with the monitor attached. check the clover log and you can see if the patch is applied. 

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tluck said:

so you have Clover and Catalina working. great. so why are you reinstalling the OS?

if you have a working OS, you can just switch the bootmanager in the EFI. with the zip you will have EFI/BOOT, EFI/BOOT.OC, EFI/CLOVER, EFI/OC - just rename/mv boot to boot.clover and the rename boot.oc to boot.

And is your Catalina installer made with the dosdude1 method?

yeah well..I may have explained it a bit wrongly. I did create a dosdude install stick and then added your stuff to the EFI partition and bootet with Clover. Installed Catalina and without having it stressed too much, I have not experienced any glitches or so.

It's a X220 with 16GB RAM (1GB VRAM), Dell 1510 wireless and 512 Samsung SSD + 120 mSATA and the original IPS panel.

I know Clover for some years, but since OC is supposed to be so much better, I wanted to boot with OC. With the switching of the EFI folders, it seems to boot to macos but the screen doesn't show anything after Apple logo is gone but backlighting is on.

Is the OC folder specifically for the 1600x900 resolution or is it supposed to detect the actual resulotion?

I have not tried to attach an external display.

8 hours ago, King A said:

yeah well..I may have explained it a bit wrongly. I did create a dosdude install stick and then added your stuff to the EFI partition and bootet with Clover. Installed Catalina and without having it stressed too much, I have not experienced any glitches or so.

It's a X220 with 16GB RAM (1GB VRAM), Dell 1510 wireless and 512 Samsung SSD + 120 mSATA and the original IPS panel.

I know Clover for some years, but since OC is supposed to be so much better, I wanted to boot with OC. With the switching of the EFI folders, it seems to boot to macos but the screen doesn't show anything after Apple logo is gone but backlighting is on.

Is the OC folder specifically for the 1600x900 resolution or is it supposed to detect the actual resulotion?

I have not tried to attach an external display.

Hmm. there are 2 things you may need to change in the OC config for 1366x768. search for AAPL00... I set DualLink to 1 and inject a better EDID specific both are good for1600x900 res. 

also, note the SSDT for power management is for a specific CPU so may not match yours.  

have fun. but I cant see any bonus or reason to swith to OC. My T420 runs exactly the same on Clover as it does with OC. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 3:26 AM, tluck said:

Hmm. there are 2 things you may need to change in the OC config for 1366x768. search for AAPL00... I set DualLink to 1 and inject a better EDID specific both are good for1600x900 res. 

also, note the SSDT for power management is for a specific CPU so may not match yours.  

have fun. but I cant see any bonus or reason to swith to OC. My T420 runs exactly the same on Clover as it does with OC. 

My X220 is having the same CPU as your T420, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So I used Clover Configurator to read the EDID and copied it via Opencore configurator to OC. (Opened EFI/CLOVER/config.1366x768.plist and EFI/OC/config.plist).

Changed via DeviceProperties / PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) as in screenshot.

When trying to boot via OC, I see black screen with Apple logo and boot progress bar. At around 75% of progress bar, the backlight dims and screen does not refresh, when waiting screen get totally black, upon mouse movement I see boot screen again. Caps lock working also. 

But since you're suggesting Clover is exactly the same, maybe I'm putting to much effort into this.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 13.34.47.png

On 12/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, King A said:

When trying to boot via OC, I see black screen with Apple logo and boot progress bar.

Yeah, same here.

OC was definitely working with 10.15.5 on my side.

Either something is incompatible with 10.15.7 or some setting got lost in the repository maybe.

Same old rig as always: i5-2520m, 1600x900 LG, 16GB RAM, 128GB mSATA for Catalina.

Not such a big loss, as Clover does its job perfectly well, but I did like the startup sound. ;)

Edited by goodguess
specs

3 hours ago, goodguess said:

Yeah, same here.

Either something is incompatible with 10.15.7 or some setting got lost in the repository maybe.

Same old rig as always: i5-2520m, 1600x900 LG, 16GB RAM, 128GB mSATA for Catalina.

Not such a big loss, as Clover does its job perfectly well, but I did like the startup sound. ;)

Ok, I’ll give Mojave a shot...

6 hours ago, goodguess said:

Yeah, same here.

hmm. im on 10.15.7 (probably end of the road) and 10.15.4 - no issues.  I pushed the most recent updates Clover and OC to the github and will make a release out of it. and you can have boot sound with either - Clover and OC!

On 12/9/2020 at 4:38 AM, King A said:

My X220 is having the same CPU as your T420, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So I used Clover Configurator to read the EDID and copied it via Opencore configurator to OC. (Opened EFI/CLOVER/config.1366x768.plist and EFI/OC/config.plist).

Changed via DeviceProperties / PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) as in screenshot.

When trying to boot via OC, I see black screen with Apple logo and boot progress bar. At around 75% of progress bar, the backlight dims and screen does not refresh, when waiting screen get totally black, upon mouse movement I see boot screen again. Caps lock working also. 

But since you're suggesting Clover is exactly the same, maybe I'm putting to much effort into this.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 13.34.47.png

Maybe i should have been more clear for 1366x768

- you can remove DualLink and the override-no-connect. 
if you see boot screen again i wonder what crashed?

did you replace SSDT-CpuP.aml with one for your cpu? 

Ahh...just deleting these entries really helps...:D

SSDT-CpuP.aml ... I also have the 2520M.

Somehow only 512 MB VRAM now.

Weird thing is, my Wifi is not working properly anymore...I have a Dell DW1510 and I cannot connect to 5GHz networks and my 2.4GHz is not found