Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck really would like to thank you for your excellent work - I'm a first time Hackintosh user and installing Clover and using your EFI my system is really smooth and it works great. I had some very high temperatures with the I7-2820QM (reaching the 80c/90c a lot), changed it to a i7-2630QM and the temp. are now fine. Only very high temp. when starting MacOS. Using Catalina now, maybe that's the reason?
Experimenting now with the heat-step DSDT, but is there a reason why you don't use this as default? Opening Firefox still gives some peaks in temp, maybe I just have to ingore this and don't look at the temp. :)

Everything is still very new for me, but your extensive info helped a lot understanding everything. OpenCore or Clover - what to use is maybe the next step, but everything runs fine now so maybe not bother changing it to OpenCore.

6 hours ago, kaosnews said:

@tluck really would like to thank you for your excellent work - I'm a first time Hackintosh user and installing Clover and using your EFI my system is really smooth and it works great. I had some very high temperatures with the I7-2820QM (reaching the 80c/90c a lot), changed it to a i7-2630QM and the temp. are now fine. Only very high temp. when starting MacOS. Using Catalina now, maybe that's the reason?
Experimenting now with the heat-step DSDT, but is there a reason why you don't use this as default? Opening Firefox still gives some peaks in temp, maybe I just have to ingore this and don't look at the temp. :)

Everything is still very new for me, but your extensive info helped a lot understanding everything. OpenCore or Clover - what to use is maybe the next step, but everything runs fine now so maybe not bother changing it to OpenCore.

glad it worked for you. you are welcome. yeah the heatstep method a good way to go to keep the temps down by getting the fans working sooner. i use this method by default :) 

on the bootmgr, I can boot either clover or OC - i like to have alternates. the downside of OC is dualboot with windows. Clover just steps aside and lets the Windows bootmgr take over. but OC hands the modified enviroment DSDT mods etc over and will not boot Windows sucessfully. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kaosnews said:

Not really a problem - but when the computer is going to sleep and I 'wake' it up the power button is blinking. Is this normal?

yes.

blink fast while going to sleep.

blink fade on/off while sleeping

blink when waking

solid on after wake/normal.

If thats not the sequence - like if the light doesn't go solid after wake, then perhaps you are not using the patched DSDT -  which has these modes set for macOS?

For me i disable hibernation mode - to save space and i never need it 0  (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0) plus since I am on SSD, so it really doesn't blink much since it goes to sleep very fast.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, kaosnews said:

Ok noob question - how do I patch the DSDT? is the DSDT in the ZIP file not patched? Or is this really a stupid question :)

the DSDT files in the zip are already quite heavily modified/patched for macOS. 

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a stupid question, but is OC bootloader on github fully configured or is there anything I have to add/change? Because when I switch to it I get into OC, choose the disk where Catalina is installed but it just restarts after loading up to a half. On the other hand Clover boots just fine.

20 hours ago, Rhinemann said:

This might be a stupid question, but is OC bootloader on github fully configured or is there anything I have to add/change? Because when I switch to it I get into OC, choose the disk where Catalina is installed but it just restarts after loading up to a half. On the other hand Clover boots just fine.

Have the same 'problem'. Clover works perfect, but changing BOOT.OC to BOOT doesn't work. It loads up to half like you said. So curious what the solution is.

14 hours ago, goodguess said:

@Rhinemann

@kaosnews

Are you sure you are using the latest build from 2020/08/28?

There was a small glitch with the OC loader, but it has been ironed out by tluck.

The build named above does boot Catalina fine on my side, albeit with (only) 512 MB RAM assigned to the OS.

odd. i get 1024MB with OC on Catalina. i did notice the HD3000 kexts on Mojave are in /S/L/E and i got 512? so i copied them to /L/E and then got 1024.  

i just pushed an update to the repo. update OC, Clover and Lilu family of kexts to the latest. 

• Like 1

So it’s not as simple as to mount EFI and rename BOOT.OC to BOOT. Because that won’t work for me. I see the boot selection of OpenCore but it won’t boot. Changing it to the old situation (BOOT from Clover) works again

Edited by kaosnews

1 hour ago, kaosnews said:

So it’s not as simple as to mount EFI and rename BOOT.OC to BOOT. Because that won’t work for me. I see the boot selection of OpenCore but it won’t boot. Changing it to the old situation (BOOT from Clover) works again

it should be that simple. do you have the latest github repo/zip installed? 

cd ~/Downloads

git clone https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover.git

~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover/Utilities/root/usr/local/bin/espmount.bash /

cd /Volumes/ESP

mv EFI EFI.old

cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover/EFI .

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI

mv BOOT BOOT.Clover

mv BOOT.OC BOOT

ctrl-alt-delete ... er I mean reboot.

Edited by tluck

On 9/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, kaosnews said:

Nope not working for me. It boots (I use the last files from Github) but hangs on 90% on the Apple logo page (booting).

hmm... well could be 1 of these issues - ie guessing without any explicit debug/crash info:

1) a gfx issue? the OC config explicity sets DualLink=1 and injects a 1600x900 LCD EDID. So what is the resolution of your LCD?

2) power mgt - the OC SSDT-CpuPM.aml file is built for my cpu i5-2520m. 

1 hour ago, goodguess said:

Well, kaosnews posted this link two pages ago for Intel WLAN: https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm

I did not try so far. Please let us know you fare. ;)

As you mention it, redrafting the Brave browser window is a bit choppy on my side too.

Guess we have to live with that using a "unsupported" GPU with macOS.

Thank you for replay. But i think the Intel HD 3000 has native support for Sierra? Thats why i am asking why is this resize animation so choppy?

Thanks for the link , i will try , and let you is it working for me. Sorry for bad English :)

On 9/17/2020 at 12:03 AM, tluck said:

hmm... well could be 1 of these issues - ie guessing without any explicit debug/crash info:

1) a gfx issue? the OC config explicity sets DualLink=1 and injects a 1600x900 LCD EDID. So what is the resolution of your LCD?

2) power mgt - the OC SSDT-CpuPM.aml file is built for my cpu i5-2520m. 

LCD is 1600x900 (working fine with Clover), think maybe it's the CPU. It's a i7-2630QM  so that could be the problem, also maybe the reason with the insane temperatures.

10 hours ago, Kralj said:

Hello! So is there a way to enable Wifi on Lenovo T420 with Intel Wifi Card on Sierra?

And do you have this problem when you resize window from Safari or Chrome

not sure about the intel wifi - both my systems have atheros.

wow - resizing the youtube window in safari on my real 2019 macbookpro looks just as "choppy" - same on my T420 (and just like yours). i dont think that's a good test of whether gfx is working!? 

1 hour ago, tluck said:

not sure about the intel wifi - both my systems have atheros.

wow - resizing the youtube window in safari on my real 2019 macbookpro looks just as "choppy" - same on my T420 (and just like yours). i dont think that's a good test of whether gfx is working!? 

Thanks for replay Tluck. I was thinking that only i have this problem with resize window animation , that i have to do something to fix it , but now when you say that you have the same problem in your macbook pro , no worries than :). One more thing I use Sierra with Clover version R5121 with configEDID 2e2 and didnt find any graphics glitch , no white line on the screen , nothing. Yesterday i opened five applications in background and Chrome with more than 10 tabs , watch youtube and no problems with graphics , everything worked just fine , i hope it will stay like that :).

• Like 1

hi

Big sur and HD3000 ?  https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher

will Big sur can be used on our T420, did anyone test it have feed back on this? 

have a good WE

hi

Big sur and HD3000 ?

https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher

https://parrotgeek.com/bigsur/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/page-72?post=28657337#post-28657337

will Big sur can be used on our T420, did anyone test it have feed back on this? 

have a good WE

• Like 1

I think we will have to wait Tetonne.

If DosDude offers a Big Sur patch for HD3000 MBP we can sure ride on the footboard again.

I did not even think we would make it to Catalina, actually.

Once Apple will be rolling out their ARM based laptops, it wont matter much which outdated OS we are using. ;)

• Like 2

Hello. I am trying to fix Facetime and Imessages , and i am following this tutorial , of course for Clover :

But when i open GenSMBIOS.command with terminal and choose option 3 to generate SMBios i get error " Error checking for updates (network issue) "

Can anyone help me ? Thanks.

Edited by Kralj