Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2020 at 4:54 AM, tluck said:

and if you are saying enabling the PID thing is important change SIP from whatever to this 0x3E7

turns on the bold items with these 10 bits

Default Disable SIP: 0x3E7 = 11 1110 0111

/* Rootless configuration flags */

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS       (1 << 0)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS       (1 << 1)

#define CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID          (1 << 2)

#define CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER       (1 << 3)

#define CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL        (1 << 4)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE   (1 << 5)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM    (1 << 6)

#define CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION  (1 << 7)

#define CSR_ALLOW_ANY_RECOVERY_OS       (1 << 8)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS      (1 << 9)

check: old was 0x3C3 = 11 1100 0011

$ nvram -p|sort

csr-active-config %e7%03%00%00

Hi @tluck , I've successfully upgraded to 10.15.5 and now, every time I boot I have the issue with the "denying core dump for PID" and it would get stuck at boot. Now, if I go to the settings of CLOVER, and change the parameter "System Parameters"-> "System Integrity Protection" -> "Allow Task for PID" it allows me to boot.

How can I make this change permanent?

You had this comment some time ago, but I don't really understand what you are proposing to change here.

Could you please give me a hand?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck I'm just getting this on standard hdd and ssd. Don't know what to do with it

what is the issue exactly? denying core dump?

7 minutes ago, freddie said:

Hi @tluck , I've successfully upgraded to 10.15.5 and now, every time I boot I have the issue with the "denying core dump for PID" and it would get stuck at boot. Now, if I go to the settings of CLOVER, and change the parameter "System Parameters"-> "System Integrity Protection" -> "Allow Task for PID" it allows me to boot.

How can I make this change permanent?

You had this comment some time ago, but I don't really understand what you are proposing to change here.

Could you please give me a hand?

Thanks!

put this in your config.plist

<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x3E7</string>
	</dict>

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tluck said:

what is the issue exactly? denying core dump?

put this in your config.plist

<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x3E7</string>
	</dict>

Thanks a lot, it worked! Only the CsrActiveConfig string was different.

Here's a screenshot from this issue, while booting. It just hangs there successively "denying core dumps" 

IMG_0089(Edited).thumb.jpg.722f426f6994079c1fa188b022b73dee.jpg.0f4a7ec483f698dda74bb37797f45326.jpg

Edited by freddie

@tluck  yes and also creating too many corpses. I looked at what Freddie said about pid and he had similar issues. I completely disabled sip in clover settings and it booted straight away. Just have to remember to tick all the boxes in clover settings each time I boot15941589254157752174417783785767.thumb.jpg.9e4c968481888bdb909f367f89299a9f.jpg

1 hour ago, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck  yes and also creating too many corpses. I looked at what Freddie said about pid and he had similar issues. I completely disabled sip in clover settings and it booted straight away. Just have to remember to tick all the boxes in clover settings each time I boot

you can fix it by editing your config.plist to change the value.

I'm experiencing something strange after updating to 10.15.5: I cannot launch any Microsoft Office 2019 app... I uninstalled and installed again Office and nothing. They just "quit unexpectedly". Anyone experiencing this?

Edit: some other Apps (e.g. Chrome) are also crashing by "quitting unexpectedly" ...

Edited by freddie

I've ended up back on Mojave. Catalina 10.15.5 is just too glitchy for me, transitions, animations etc also had a few system freezes too. Not sure if its to do with me using the standard config but, Mojave for me is absolutely perfect

On 7/7/2020 at 3:00 PM, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck

On 7/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, freddie said:

I'm experiencing something strange after updating to 10.15.5: I cannot launch any Microsoft Office 2019 app... I uninstalled and installed again Office and nothing. They just "quit unexpectedly". Anyone experiencing this?

Edit: some other Apps (e.g. Chrome) are also crashing by "quitting unexpectedly" ...

you probably need  to merge the updates for config.plist (look at boot args) in my repo which fix this.

• Thanks 1

@tluck

I'm having a weird issue with mojave and the atheros AR9285 wifi kext. 

when I came back to hackintosh the other day, I was able to get the WiFi working straight away. But since returning to Mojave from catalina, the same atheros installer is now not working for the WiFi. I've even got the high Sierra atheros files and put them in the right place, rebuilt the caches and rebooted etc but it still won't work. Im not sure if its to do with the dosdude1 patcher I used. The first one I used the other day seems to be slightly different to the one I have now. I don't want to give up but I don't know what else to try

12 hours ago, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck

I'm having a weird issue with mojave and the atheros AR9285 wifi kext. 

when I came back to hackintosh the other day, I was able to get the WiFi working straight away. But since returning to Mojave from catalina, the same atheros installer is now not working for the WiFi. I've even got the high Sierra atheros files and put them in the right place, rebuilt the caches and rebooted etc but it still won't work. Im not sure if its to do with the dosdude1 patcher I used. The first one I used the other day seems to be slightly different to the one I have now. I don't want to give up but I don't know what else to try

make sure you didnt turn it off on the right side with the little tiny button.

i just looked at my system and i have the same AirPortAtheros40.kext version CFBundleVersion = 700.74.5 for Sierra, HighSierra, Mojave, and Catalina. 

dosdude1 will put it in /Library/Extensions

make sure the owner and perms are right. see my script below:

so ~/bin/fix-kext-perms.bash /Library/Extensions/Air* to make sure

$ cat ~/bin/fix-kext-perms.bash

#!/bin/bash

sudo chmod -R go-w $@

sudo chown -R root:wheel $@

sudo xattr -cr $@

On 7/10/2020 at 12:32 AM, tluck said:

you probably need  to merge the updates for config.plist (look at boot args) in my repo which fix this.

Thanks @tluck I basically replaced all the EFI files (BOOT and CLOVER) with the latest ones from 02-June. Now it works well!

Edited by freddie

@tluck

Hi. I've now got Mojave running almost perfect. But I'm still unable to get imessage and facetime to work. I've set serial to an invalid one and created a unique UUID via terminal but it they still won't work. I've got as far in imessage where apple sends me a verification code for 2 factor authentication but won't sign in. I do have my apple id signed in on an iPhone SE with imessage activated on that device, so I'm struggling now 

If anyone wants to give macOS BS a try, this patcher supports the hd3000 gpu: https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher

I will keep my t420 on catalina for now because BS is glitchy and the process of installing it is annoying(most stuff has to be done manually)

but i would love to hear how it's performing on a t420 if anyone is willing to try.

Check this thread for instructions on how to get it to install(not noob-friendly at all, and the fact there are over 2000 posts already doesn't really help):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/

On 7/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck

Hi. I've now got Mojave running almost perfect. But I'm still unable to get imessage and facetime to work. I've set serial to an invalid one and created a unique UUID via terminal but it they still won't work. I've got as far in imessage where apple sends me a verification code for 2 factor authentication but won't sign in. I do have my apple id signed in on an iPhone SE with imessage activated on that device, so I'm struggling now 

I could be wrong but i always thought you need a valid serial for iCloud stuff.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ShroomKing said:

I could be wrong but i always thought you need a valid serial for iCloud stuff.

iCloud works fine but not imessage or facetime.

Everything I've seen always says use an invalid serial due to using a real one is using someone else's mac serial etc. So yeah I have no clue.

I'm going to give Big Sur a try with the link you provided..... scratch that, im on Mojave and the guy on that forum says you need Catalina

Edited by Sicole1811
updating comment

3 hours ago, Sicole1811 said:

iCloud works fine but not imessage or facetime.

Everything I've seen always says use an invalid serial due to using a real one is using someone else's mac serial etc. So yeah I have no clue.

I'm going to give Big Sur a try with the link you provided..... scratch that, im on Mojave and the guy on that forum says you need Catalina

maybe try this to get a valid SMBIOS generated

git clone https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS
cd GenSMBIOS
chmod +x GenSMBIOS.command

#######################################################

#             MacBookPro8,1 SMBIOS Info               #

#######################################################

Type:         MacBookPro8,1

Serial:       W89H20Y8DH2G

Board Serial: W89201207GUDM6D1M

SmUUID:       FE07DCD2-87E3-4879-909C-BAF71AE6F31E

Press [enter] to return...

@tluck

Thanks, I've tried this now but its not providing a valid serial. Checked each one it made via check coverage on clover configurator and it always came back invalid.

Anyhow. I decided to do the software update to Catalina 10.15.6, it worked which I was very surprised about but I did a post install which dosdude1 catalina patcher to be sure.

Even WiFi works which I've never achieved on previous catalina versions. 10.15.5 for me was sluggish on animations etc but this one seems so stable. Only issue I have is the WiFi signal bar doesn't work properly but Internet is working fine.

Have you any more ideas regarding imessage please? Sorry for being such a pain

20200722_144039.jpg

On 7/22/2020 at 6:47 AM, Sicole1811 said:

@tluck

Thanks, I've tried this now but its not providing a valid serial. Checked each one it made via check coverage on clover configurator and it always came back invalid.

Anyhow. I decided to do the software update to Catalina 10.15.6, it worked which I was very surprised about but I did a post install which dosdude1 catalina patcher to be sure.

Even WiFi works which I've never achieved on previous catalina versions. 10.15.5 for me was sluggish on animations etc but this one seems so stable. Only issue I have is the WiFi signal bar doesn't work properly but Internet is working fine.

Have you any more ideas regarding imessage please? Sorry for being such a pain

Catalina works fine for me too! did the stuff I sent in you via PM work for iMessage?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tluck said:

Catalina works fine for me too! did the stuff I sent in you via PM work for iMessage?

Thank you! I'll try in the morning as its midnight and I need sleep. Can't thank you enough for all your support thus far

Thanks for your 2020-Jul-21 update, tluck! Only took notice today.

One funny thing: With Mojave 1024MB are allocated for the HD3000.

Same EFI, same T420, booting Catalina I´m getting 512MB for the HD3000 - Clover or OC.

Am I missing something?

Not a problem of course, just puzzling me. :)

@tluck 

Hi! I am running this machine on 10.12.6 since forever now. But now I will have to update. In your opinion what version is more stable for a day to day work? High Sierra? Mojave? 

I have a 16gig T420 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

And thanks for the guide and the repo. Invaluable resource for me :)

Edited by Whalid

On 7/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, Whalid said:

@tluck 

Hi! I am running this machine on 10.12.6 since forever now. But now I will have to update. In your opinion what version is more stable for a day to day work? High Sierra? Mojave? 

I have a 16gig T420 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

And thanks for the guide and the repo. Invaluable resource for me :)

I've got 8 gigs of ram and im running Catalina 10.15.6 with no issues whatsoever. Just make sure you update all your kexts before updating