Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@King A Could it be you picked channel 12/13 for your 2.4GHz WLAN?

My DW1510 cards will only work up to channel 11, as shown below.

802.11 a/b/g/n, channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

5GHz should of course work. Is your router talking to other devices in that band?

Some older router chipsets were switchable, so they could do 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Tetonne said:

hi everyone,

thanks for this update tluck (5127 OC 0.6.5)

unfortunately without success here (clover) back to previous release
due to new clover add in config?

have a nice we

Hi Tetonne!

Now that you are mentioning it - no fun here either: i5-2540m, 8GB, AUO display, config.EDID-2e2.plist.

Maybe we just made the same mistake. :)

17 hours ago, goodguess said:

@King A Could it be you picked channel 12/13 for your 2.4GHz WLAN?

My DW1510 cards will only work up to channel 11, as shown below.

802.11 a/b/g/n, channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

5GHz should of course work. Is your router talking to other devices in that band?

Some older router chipsets were switchable, so they could do 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

that did the trick, went from channel 13 to 6.

very weird...it‘s a hackintosh thing I guess, since Ubuntu and windows do the job nevertheless

On 12/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, Tetonne said:

hi everyone,

thanks for this update tluck (5127 OC 0.6.5)

unfortunately without success here (clover) back to previous release
due to new clover add in config?

have a nice we

what is happening (or not)? 

• Like 1

For me, your latest Clover package is working as advertised with my LG rig.

The similar AUO machine gets into a boot loop when using the config.EDID-2e2.plist.

Maybe the plist was edited, the older one was working fine for AUO.

Again - not a big issue, as the previous package is working flawlessly with Clover.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:57 AM, goodguess said:

For me, your latest Clover package is working as advertised with my LG rig.

The similar AUO machine gets into a boot loop when using the config.EDID-2e2.plist.

Maybe the plist was edited, the older one was working fine for AUO.

Again - not a big issue, as the previous package is working flawlessly with Clover.

yup. the issue maybe the changes in the config.plist for 5127 (OcQuirks section) ... However, most of the Clover and Kext updates were geared to Big Sur. so the package from September will be fine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone successfully installed Big Sur on the T420?

I kow the problem is the HD3000 and i think OpenCore is necessary for this.

Has anyone switched from Clover to OpenCore. Is a config available?

Sorry I've only read a few pages back. But the thread is very long here.

Edited by witjojo

As far as I know the answer is no. We used dosdude1's method of creating an installer and patching for Mojave and Catalina and that seems to be the end of the road. My T420 can boot with Clover or OpenCore - and the github repo has both examples - but that doesnt help with Big Sur. Impressive to think that a 10 year old box is still working fine. Sadly though today I just use my box when i need to  stream media to my TV, but it mostly just is a host for my timemachine shares. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, tluck said:

We used dosdude1's method of creating an installer ...

@tluck - I stumbled upon this thread and didn't realize you were also using DosDude's method.  I also use DosDude's patcher to achieve a perfect HackBookPro6,2 with my Dell Latitude E6410.  Have you been able to apply supplemental Catalina updates now that Apple releases them without full installers?  See my attempts here.  If so, how are you applying the supplemental updates on a DosDude patched system?  Thanks!

Edited by tonyx86

15 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

@tluck - I stumbled upon this thread and didn't realize you were also using DosDude's method.  I also use DosDude's patcher to achieve a perfect HackBookPro6,2 with my Dell Latitude E6410.  Have you been able to apply supplemental Catalina updates now that Apple releases them without full installers?  See my attempts here.  If so, how are you applying the supplemental updates on a DosDude patched system?  Thanks!

use CatalinaOTAswufix.app

• Thanks 1

BTW with coreboot you can actually upgrade the T420 to an Ivy Bridge CPU(those have the HD4000 which has metal support and should work fine in Big Sur)

I haven't tried this but if i ever find an Ivy Bridge CPU for cheap i might flash coreboot and give it a try. https://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420

12 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

@ShroomKing - that is the solution I posted with my question.  Are you able to review my steps and tell me where I went wrong?  Thanks!

The force cache rebuild shows up at the end when its done applying the patches(it gives you 10 seconds to check it before it reboots automatically)

EDIT: after an update i have to force rebuild the cache or it doesn't boot, i assume the problem is you didn't do that

Edited by ShroomKing
  • Like 1

@ShroomKing Thanks for the quick replies!  As I mentioned in my steps, Force Cache rebuild does not appear for me in this case (unusual, since it has always appeared previously).  I suspect that the difference between our builds is that I'm using CLOVER Legacy (not UEFI) (which causes Bless and other installer errors).  Thanks again for your suggestions.  The Dell Latitude E6410 was flakey when attempting to boot UEFI macOS.  I may switch to OC and see if that helps.

Sorry everyone for dragging this thread off-topic and thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Hello guys! 

I recently get a T420 and tried to install macOS High Sierra with the (awesome) Tluck guide but when I try to boot the USB Installer I get a Kernel Panic, I tried different USB keys (3.0 and 2.0)/port, Opencore and clover..etc but I always have the same result.

Any idea ? Thanks

(Sorry for my bad English, not native speaker) 

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 17.27.48.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:55 AM, tonyx86 said:

i have only built a dosdude installer. i didnt bother to try to go further since the patches dont provide much.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, heyadrien said:

Hello guys! 

I recently get a T420 and tried to install macOS High Sierra with the (awesome) Tluck guide but when I try to boot the USB Installer I get a Kernel Panic, I tried different USB keys (3.0 and 2.0)/port, Opencore and clover..etc but I always have the same result.

Any idea ? Thanks

(Sorry for my bad English, not native speaker) 

not sure. why there is a panic. the picture doesnt show what crashed. what crashed? note: if you put clover onto a macOS usb installer it will work but you may need to change the config.plist to match the LCD resolution ... 1600x900 resolution?

• Like 1

Hi. i'm having trouble getting Catalina or mojave installed. I'm using your opencore config on a thinkpad X220, only thing ive changed is the ethernet kext and also changed stuff in the config plist to get display working and that worked perfectly in high sierra. Both catalina and mojave fail to install and I made the installers with dosdudes patcher.

I think the problem is to do with SIP because the install log says archive verify failed, this is for mojave but there was a similar issue with catalina aswell. csrutil says sip is disabled though

NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}}} {
	    NSFilePath = "/Volumes/Mojave/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cCore.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "Core.pkg -- file:///System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg#Distribution";
	    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive verify failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///System/Installation/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=99, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=52157, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777227, NSFileSize=5312492961, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=99, NSFileOwnerAccountName=_unknown, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2021-02-28 22:07:51 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTyFeb 28 22:45:19 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[587]: OSIInstallElement <OSIInstallElement: 0x7f93f7b6b6f0> errored out:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred installing OS X. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, pressing the power button, and immediately holding the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred installing OS X. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, pressing the power button, and immediately holding the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins.}

Just tried with clover aswell and that also fails

Edited by NO_obsctruction

On 3/1/2021 at 1:00 AM, NO_obsctruction said:

Hi. i'm having trouble getting Catalina or mojave installed. I'm using your opencore config on a thinkpad X220, only thing ive changed is the ethernet kext and also changed stuff in the config plist to get display working and that worked perfectly in high sierra. Both catalina and mojave fail to install and I made the installers with dosdudes patcher.

I think the problem is to do with SIP because the install log says archive verify failed, this is for mojave but there was a similar issue with catalina aswell. csrutil says sip is disabled though

NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}}} {
	    NSFilePath = "/Volumes/Mojave/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cCore.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "Core.pkg -- file:///System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg#Distribution";
	    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive verify failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///System/Installation/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=99, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=52157, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777227, NSFileSize=5312492961, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=99, NSFileOwnerAccountName=_unknown, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2021-02-28 22:07:51 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTyFeb 28 22:45:19 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[587]: OSIInstallElement <OSIInstallElement: 0x7f93f7b6b6f0> errored out:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred installing OS X. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, pressing the power button, and immediately holding the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred installing OS X. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, pressing the power button, and immediately holding the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins.}

Just tried with clover aswell and that also fails

hmm it seems like a problem with the installer? says cannot extract files. did you make the installer on a mac? did you boot from USB to start the installer? I dont think SIP matters during the install step?

Edited by tluck

On 3/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, tluck said:

hmm it seems like a problem with the installer? says cannot extract files. did you make the installer on a mac? did you boot from USB to start the installer? I dont think SIP matters during the install step?

Yeah ive tried both making the installer from macos with dosdudes tool and also making it by using some script on linux, neither work. I thought it might be file corruption on the usb but it shows the same error when making a new usb

Managed to fix the issue not sure what solved it because i did 2 things. I read someone else had this issue and removing one of their ram sticks fixed it so I removed a ram stick. The other thing I did was copy the efi folder via macos. before i was putting the usb into my linux machine and then copying the efi folder over.

Edited by NO_obsctruction
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys i hope everything is ok for you.

last week i decide to apply the last pack on my t420 with its SDD and HHD (on bay) and a 10.57 update on my ssd on my iMac.

i should not. all was brocken lol 

i finally success to roll back to september release on both with a new install on my ssd with dude tips

my ssd is ok now with catalina

my dual boot HDD HSierra HHD/win 10 was ok too

for unknown reason now my Hsierra HDD boot but never end (screen with apple and progressive's bar)

i should kext repair from a other boot session on my mackintosh ssd or on my iMac but how?

i did it in the past but can't remember how

thanks for any help have a good sunday

On 3/21/2021 at 1:33 AM, Tetonne said:

hi guys i hope everything is ok for you.

last week i decide to apply the last pack on my t420 with its SDD and HHD (on bay) and a 10.57 update on my ssd on my iMac.

i should not. all was brocken lol 

i finally success to roll back to september release on both with a new install on my ssd with dude tips

my ssd is ok now with catalina

my dual boot HDD HSierra HHD/win 10 was ok too

for unknown reason now my Hsierra HDD boot but never end (screen with apple and progressive's bar)

i should kext repair from a other boot session on my mackintosh ssd or on my iMac but how?

i did it in the past but can't remember how

thanks for any help have a good sunday

so the question is how to fix your kext cache on HighSierra?

Note: you should not need any custom kexts on the HD as part of macoS

All the custom kexts can be put in the ESP for Sierra, HighSierra, Mojave, Catalina B

But you can target a different disk cache with something like: sudo kextcache -i /Volumes/HighSierra

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...