Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I see... but I'm not trying to make an installer. Just to boot Clover in UEFI mode, off of a CD/DVD.

And...with the help of fusion71au's script (and ./ebuild.sh -mc, so I don't have to manually replace boot6 with boot7 from Clover3911 anymore), I managed to create an iso for booting with BiosBlockIO. So, that part is covered. You can take a look at the script, and the resulting ISO. I can boot that no problem, from CD.

Now I just want to be able to create a CD/DVD for booting Clover (just Clover) in UEFI mode. I'm not interested in making a MacOS Installer.

How is is possible for that Ubuntu DVD to show up as UEFI boot item in Boot Menu? Wouldn't be able to do the same for Clover?

Clover-v2.5k-5005-X64.iso

makeiso_boot7

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I see... but I'm not trying to make an installer. Just to boot Clover in UEFI mode, off of a CD/DVD.

And...with the help of fusion71au's script (and ebuild.sh -mc), I managed to create an iso for booting with BiosBlockIO. So, that part is covered. You can take a look at the script, and the resulting ISO. I can boot that no problem, from CD.

Now I just want to be able to create a CD/DVD for booting Clover (just Clover) in UEFI mode. I'm not interested in making a MacOS Installer.

How is is possible for that Ubuntu DVD to show up as UEFI boot item in Boot Menu? Wouldn't be able to do the same for Clover?

Clover-v2.5k-5005-X64.iso

makeiso_boot7

The problem is DVD use cdboot

cdboot boot from Legacy clover not EFI partition

I don't know if that is possible ?????????

• Like 1

I know what you're saying. I'm definitely not an expert. But I did test that iso. And it does work. :) How...? Ask someone with more experience. :))) I can only tell you that it works. If that's not Legacy (since, in theory, I shouldn't be able to boot like that), then it's definitely not UEFI either (cause it doesn't show up as UEFI: in Boot Menu).

This is from Clover, booting from CD.

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.a292c66d305e07602e46706f6e40aaf9.jpg

Edited by arsradu

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I know what you're saying. I'm definitely not an expert. But I did test that iso. And it does work. :) How...? Ask someone with more experience. :))) I can only tell you that it works. If that's not Legacy (since, in theory, I shouldn't be able to boot like that), then it's definitely not UEFI either.

This is from Clover, booting from CD.

cdboot in /usr/standalone/i386 use EFI on the root DVD or CD not in the EFI Partition

908835083_Capturedcranle2019-07-1318_24_46.png.9b3419f577394993ba36425a80e4846b.png

6 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

cdboot in /usr/standalone/i386 use EFI on the root DVD or CD not in the EFI Partition

I know that. There is no EFI partition on a CD/DVD. :)

Still, the questions remain:

1. how does this trick work then? Cause it does work.

2. how can I make it work in UEFI mode (like that Ubuntu DVD I mentioned above)?

Edited by arsradu

30 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I know that. There is no EFI partition on a CD/DVD. :)

Still, the questions remain:

1. how does this trick work then? Cause it does work.

2. how can I make it work in UEFI mode (like that Ubuntu DVD I mentioned above)?

Ubuntu  use EFI folder on root 

I don't think You can using EFI partition with cdboot;  it use only EFI on root

Maybe its possible but I don't know how to ??

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

But, but...Chris, the iso I posted above also has an EFI folder on root... But I guess that's not used in the same way as a real UEFI boot.

And....if cdboot is only for Legacy booting...I'm not interested in using it for UEFI. As I said, for Legacy, somehow it works already. :))) No need to focus on that anymore.

Now I just wanna focus on booting that CD in UEFI mode (maybe similar to how Ubuntu is doing it with that DVD).

I also don't know how... But...it seems to be possible...somehow. :))

Thank you so much for your feedback, Chris! Always nice talking to you. :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Hi @fusion71au did you also install 10.15 in HFS+..? On my case am no longer able to proceed Clover installation since r4999. It just got stuck at osascript read-write or whatever it's name. I believe HFS+ has no r/o limitation under Catalina. And it does nothing with $ sudo mount -uw / either. Thanks.

No, I only installed hfs Catalina on a VMware virtual machine.  For my physical machines, 10.15 is installed on apfs formatted HDs.

Maybe your issue is SIP? Did you set CsrActiveConfig to 0x3E7, CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS?  What is the output of csrutil status in Catalina?  Tried booting to Recovery HD and setting csrutil disable?

I also use @ASentientBot's launch daemon - copy CatalinaAutoMountWritable.plist into /Library/LaunchDaemons which auto mounts the root volume as R/W at every login (sudo mount -uw /).

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys,

So...apparently UEFI DVDs do work on my machine. I've got an older Ubuntu 15.04 around, so I was curious if that one shows up in boot menu.

And it does! With no extra changes in BIOS settings. Right now, my BIOS is set to LEGACY + UEFI. That's why it shows the DVD ROM as both UEFI and Legacy.

So I think it should be (at least in theory) possible to make a bootable DVD with Clover on it.

In Disk Utility, DVD ROM shows up as Apple Partition Map (intended...I guess...?)

And the partition itself is a FAT12.

But I guess that can't be all. Since the installer can't be only 2.3MB in size. :)) I know linux partitions can't be mounted by default with Disk Utility. So I didn't really bother to mount it.

That looks interesting and promising.  If you can find out how the Ubuntu ISO is prepared and burnt to disk in linux, it should in theory be easy to do that for the Clover ISO as well.  Somehow it has a FAT partition (like a FAT32 EFI?).  Note Clover can also be compiled in Linux Mint/Ubuntu with the Build_Clover.command script.

Edit: This post and the subsequent wiki link maybe relevant on how to create a UEFI bootable ISO in ubuntu...:)

In addition, see if you can manually add an extra UEFI BIOS entry for the Clover CD/DVD (linking to CLOVERX64.efi) in linux with efibootmgr, or with bcfg in UEFI shell.

On macOS, have a look at man for hdiutil makehybrid.  Maybe -udf format will allow the Clover CD/DVD to be recognised when BIOS set to UEFI Only?

Finally, if you multi boot with UEFI Windows, then maybe you can manually create a UEFI-CloverCD/DVD entry with the EasyUEFI program.  Link to my guide for adding a Clover entry in UEFI Windows here and @GhostRaider's how to for MSI H81 boards (should be similar or the same BIOS settings to your system). <--- only works with GUID HDs that have EFI partitions

13 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Thanks anyway. I need a rw cd, or a UEFI virtual machine to do some tests..

13 hours ago, arsradu said:

Sure, no worries. Fusion71au seems to have made some progress with VM (if I got this right).

If you need any more tests on "real hardware", meaning a real CD, I can help you with that. :) 

The Clover ISO at least is able to EFI boot into macOS Catalina with VMware EFI firmware (also boot7 in your case which is Clover's EFI DUET firmware)...Note Clover's boot log

"Starting Clover Revision ... on VMware. Inc. EFI"

1664840985_CloverISOUEFIboot.thumb.png.48d6dc5c99374269caecf420559c48c7.png

The issue is getting the MSI UEFI Bios to recognise the Clover ISO burnt to CD/DVD as a UEFI bootable entry...

Edited by fusion71au
Link to linux xorriso -isohybrid-gpt-basdat option
  • Like 1

After 4992 there are no more error "Not found"?

Don't replace boot6 with boot7. boot7 is BiosBlockIo, it will not work with DVD.

And about UEFI DVD I think it is impossible because there is no EFI partition.

The Not Found errors are there if:

1. I boot with SATA (boot6) instead of BiosBlockIO (boot7).

2. If I have missing drivers for boot. I'm still not sure which drivers created issues for me...that's why I uploaded above the exact ones that worked for me, but yeah, same error for both cases.

The only difference is that:

1. For case Nr 1, after the Not Found error, if I press Enter, I get that x64 Exception Type 000000000000006.

2. For case Nr2, I get stuck at Not Found and nothing happens if I press Enter.

I don't know why I can't boot with boot6, but I can't.

I'll try the newest commit 5006 with boot6 to confirm the "not found" error.

About UEFI DVD...it's not impossible, since Ubuntu does it already. :) But....after some brainstorming with fusion71au, it seems to be doing it by creating a mini EFI with efi.img within /boot/grub folder. So yeah, there is no EFI partition on a CD/DVD, but they managed to "emulate it" in some way that it it seems to work.

If you wanna take a look, I attached the boot files from Ubuntu 18.04.

Ubuntu ISO boot files.zip

Update: Build 5006 (and later) can't boot with default boot6. Not Found error + x64 Exception (red text screen).

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

This depend by a lack of your bios, why a variant that uses the bios block io was done.

Most likely yes. I know it's a weird issue, and with my previous Gigabyte board, I think I used to use SATA (boot6). But that was like years ago, before even knowing I can boot UEFI. So yeah, it's most likely a particularity of this motherboard.

@vector sigma Can you please, tell me if this is normal for building clover with ebuild.sh -mc?

426948517_Screenshot2019-07-14at14_01_24.thumb.png.8c18cc661ed79ad7bc8935be8af9af02.png

254094728_Screenshot2019-07-14at14_01_34.thumb.png.843bd1b43813f69c9afdba7ffbea0bef.png

Also, when writing Clover (pkg variant) to an USB drive, formatted GPT, shouldn't we remove boot6/boot7 file (named just "boot") from EFI partition root directory, when the user switches from Legacy booting to UEFI only?

Cause that doesn't seem to happen right now.

Edited by arsradu

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Also, when writing Clover (pkg variant) to an USB drive, formatted GPT, shouldn't we remove boot6/boot7 file (named just "boot") from EFI partition root directory, when the user switches from Legacy booting to UEFI only?

Cause that doesn't seem to happen right now.

that is done automatically, if you can see boot6 or boot7 is because you selected alt boot?

20 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@vector sigma Can you please, tell me if this is normal for building clover with ebuild.sh -mc?

It is ok, for others looks at off folder ;)

Anyway suppose you have a fresh Clover, I guess you want boot6 as well right? so a secondary pass without -mc is needed.

Edited by vector sigma

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

It is ok, for others looks at off folder ;)

Anyway suppose you have a fresh Clover, I guess you want boot6 as well right? so a secondary pass without -mc is needed.

Yeah...I've noticed. Well, I don't really want boot6. :)) That's the problematic one. I can't boot with it.

And...it's built by default. So..if I want boot7 (which allows me to boot), I need to do another pass with -mc.

About the boot file at the root of the EFI partition, it doesn't seem to be removed when reinstalling in UEFI mode only... Meaning I get this before and after installing Clover in UEFI only mode. Does it work ok for you?

913296905_Screenshot2019-07-14at14_55_37.thumb.png.6d18683c99d83fc272698b4b17cd053c.png

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

About the boot file at the root of the EFI partition, it doesn't seem to be removed when reinstalling in UEFI mode only... Meaning I get this before and after installing Clover in UEFI only mode. Does it work ok for you?

Sorry but no one want to remove a boot file! Can be another bootloader , i.e. not Clover. Anyway if you remove the boot file... what do you want to do with your boot sectors Lol?

4 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Sorry but no one want to remove a boot file! Can be another bootloader , i.e. not Clover. Anyway if you remove the boot file... what do you want to do with your boot sectors Lol?

For UEFI-only booting, that boot file is not necessary, for as far as I know. Is it...?

7 minutes ago, arsradu said:

For UEFI-only booting, that boot file is not necessary, for as far as I know. Is it...?

Yes your image is ESP Installation not UEFI only!

EDIT ***

Or you have install previously on ESP and after you have made a UEFI install on the same EFI partition but Clover will not remove previous ESP choice

if you are select UEFI only is only change the Clover LOG and the Drivers

Edited by chris1111

Just now, arsradu said:

No but, boot, isn't there for your will? Isn't installed by case. Once you selected a legacy installation, also your master boot record and the partition boot record of your disk are modified (boot0->boot1->boot). Removing the bootloader file didn't change mutch. As I said this is unsafe, the world didn't start nor ends with Clover. What you ask cannot be done, sorry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Yes your image is ESP Installation not UEFI only!

This is the setup.

1099865737_Screenshot2019-07-14at15_14_27.thumb.png.37c43844b47f2eaa2618030d61a61304.png

And you've already seen the outcome. :))

2 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

No but, boot, isn't there for your will? Isn't installed by case. Once you selected a legacy installation, also your master boot record and the partition boot record of your disk are modified (boot0->boot1->boot). Removing the bootloader file didn't change mutch. As I said this is unsafe, the world didn't start nor ends with Clover. What you ask cannot be done, sorry.

Sure, no problem. :) I just thought that's a bug. Since we do add that boot file for Legacy installations, I thought it makes sense to remove it for UEFI-only installations.

4 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

it's a bug only if you've never selected Clover EFI in previous installations, but I guess you did it:)

Maaaybe... :P :))) A-ha! So it IS a bug. I knew it!

I'm joking, Vector. I perfectly understand the reasons why you would want to keep that file there. It just seems redundant to me for this particular case. :) 

Thing is, I was playing around with Legacy booting. And...at some point, I finished my tests, and decided to switch to UEFI only. That's when I noticed that boot file doesn't get removed. So...yeah, I did use Legacy before that.

Anyway, thank you very much for your answer!

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Anyway, thank you very much for your answer!

You're welcome. In addition installing a legacy boot loader is it a delicate task that can lead to boot failures, in fact the installer provide you the possibility to update Clover with out touch again the MBR and the PBR just to have less risks because once you did this there's no reaon to do that again, they will works having no surprises.

• Like 1