Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i am having a strange problem with Clover.  Since Clover Configurator doesn't (yet) have preset MacbookPro 11,1-11,2-11,3 or any haswells yet.  I could get a real macbook pro 11,2 serial that i tried to use for my Smbios (with RevoBoot Smbios data):

#define SMB_BIOS_VERSION    "MBP112.88Z.0138.B00.1310031144"
#define SMB_PRODUCT_NAME    "MacBookPro11,2"
#define SMB_BOARD_PRODUCT   "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41"

But mavericks doesn't boot anymore and give the reason for the boot problem as : Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 .  Using the same data with Chameleon boots normally and recognized the Macbook Pro 11,2.

Whereas if i try Smbios data for an iMac 14,2 using RevoBoot's data there's no problem.

Can you please let me know the reason of this problem?

<key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>MBP112.88Z.0138.B00.1310031144</string>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>05/03/13</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>MacBookPro11,2</string>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBookPro</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>**************</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-3CBD00234E554E41</string>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
    </dict>

@xpamamadeus

Tried to use Clover Configurator but without any luck. Same messages as described in my previous post. :(

@Slice

It seems like I'm too dumb to setup the config.plist in the right way. Could you point me to right direction?

@Maniac10

Thank you for your fast reply. I've tried to use a valid iMac 10,1 Serial, but without any success. So I've decided to let Clover make the job. Do I really have to use the "SerialNumber" key?

I solved this issue, just putting my Credit card Info on my Appstore account   Reboot thats it done   B)  thanks to slice for that    :thumbsup_anim:

I have been advocating Clover EFI for a bit now. I help other people with it. I am very vocal about my love for it. I just wish that my ideas concerning Linux would be considered.

If you can't give me that then how about an official Windows installer? Would that be to much, too?

You can't target a linux package, so no, it will never happen, you'd have to create all sorts of change roots and I still don't even think it's possible because it needs the things it uses to be where it's installing.... There won't be anything where you're installing clover, or shouldn't be  :lol:

Ok, so I'll try to generate a new one. But I can't understand why the original iMac Serial I dumped from it's iOReg isn't working using Clover. I've used the same one in Enoch and everything was fine. Furthermore, what about the "BoardSerialNumber" key? Do I have to use it as well?

OS X is actually working properly through clover as it has firmware interface to grab all the details about stuff, these are all set to return unsupported for every other boot loader. It's obtaining more information about your system and using it to generate a new uuid for it so that it can determine which system you are logging in from for certain services to function properly, like imessages, icloud, and find my mac.

Let me clarify this, Slice

Either give me a Windows INSTALLER (not a boot disk maker) or I am done with the Clover project.

EDIT

I have decided to elaborate and explain myself a bit more.

I would love to have full-blown Linux support, but in the spirit of compromise, a Windows Installer would suffice.

I love Clover EFI. I am a Clover fanatic, so much so that people in #clover will tell you that I am crazy head-over-heals in love with it.

I don't want to see Clover succeed; no, I want to see it dominate. I want to see it take its rightful place.

We have a brilliant piece of software here. While we Hackintosh users benefit, no one else does. Thats why I am making this ultimatum. Either I am given my installer or I am done. 

Who cares? Don't use it then! I don't see how hard it is to install in os x since you know that's what this entire project is about, you can manually build the stuff in windows and linux and install it, it's not hard I do it multiple times a day. Or just use 7zip and extract the package in windows or linux and install it.

Hi guys,

me again. :) After several hours of testing, I'm getting insane! Clover is up and running like I wrote before. Nearly everything seems to work really flawless and very smooth. It's definitively the best Bootloader for my Mainboard.

But, I am still having huge problems logging in into App Store and iCloud because of the "Your Device or Computer Could Not Be Verified. Contact Support for Assistance" message. I've tried every fix I found on the Internet, such like customizing keys "MLB" and "ROM" in "RtVariables", playing with my UUID and so forth, but without any success. :( If I'm using Ermac's Enoch Bootloader everything is fine. By the way, my en0 is a Atheros 9380 which in identified as AirPort Extreme.  

I've uploaded my config.plist and my DSDT, so if there is anybody who could help me to solve this problem, I would be very grateful! 

Are you using MacBookAir smbios? Because that is only one that works with wifi as en0, otherwise you ust have ethernet with built-in=1 in _DSM at en0 or it will never work. You also need a certain amount of security for your passsword, depending on your region a credit card, a proper smbios, and not have been banned from registration.

hello to all
My question is is to introduce in Clover config.plist to start with 2 or more monitors?
Clove off a monitor in your boot screen, and even after the monitor just call back to sleep.
I seem to wake up from sleep transmitter enable framebuffer and Clover does not turn it on start

Clover works perfectly fine with multiple monitors, I have multiple monitors, it just clones each display. There is no way to have multiple screens with different buffers though as only one framebuffer can be created in EFI, even if you have two cards it will only create a framebuffer for one of them, hence the option in your firmware setup menu to choose which graphics chip to initialize, ie, auto, igfx, pcie...

• Like 2

Hey guys, i am having a strange problem with Clover.  Since Clover Configurator doesn't (yet) have preset MacbookPro 11,1-11,2-11,3 or any haswells yet.  I could get a real macbook pro 11,2 serial that i tried to use for my Smbios (with RevoBoot Smbios data):

But mavericks doesn't boot anymore and give the reason for the boot problem as : Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 .  Using the same data with Chameleon boots normally and recognized the Macbook Pro 11,2.

Whereas if i try Smbios data for an iMac 14,2 using RevoBoot's data there's no problem.

Can you please let me know the reason of this problem?

<key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>MBP112.88Z.0138.B00.1310031144</string>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>05/03/13</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>MacBookPro11,2</string>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBookPro</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>**************</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-3CBD00234E554E41</string>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
    </dict>

Not sure but may be you need DropMcfg=Yes?

@christ1111

Thanks for the advise. I'm using already a Credit card. 

@Maniac10

Thank you once again for your help. Still the same result. :(

@apianti

Are you using MacBookAir smbios? Because that is only one that works with wifi as en0, otherwise you ust have ethernet with built-in=1 in _DSM at en0 or it will never work.

This seems to be a good approach! Could you please take a look on these screenshots. As you can see, Wifi is en0 and my Ethernet controller is en2. Or am I getting something wrong?

wificcpoc.png

terminalen0rcuog.png

onboardethernetzhewx.png

Using Clover 2377 on a BIOS Laptop with MBR table.

Partition 1 Windows (NTFS)

Partition 2 Data (NTFS)

Partition 3 Mountain Lion (HFS+)

Without the NTFS.efi in the drivers64 folder, I get the option to load Windows 7 from "Legacy HD 1" or "Legacy HD 2".

No partition labels, and Windows only boots from Legacy HD 1 - The other partition being the Data Partition.

With the NTFS.efi in the drivers64 folder, I only get the "Data" partition as a boot option. The bootable Windows partition is not even displayed!!

Any idea?!

Edit: I meant drivers64 not 32.

@christ1111

@Maniac10

@apianti

This seems to be a good approach! Could you please take a look on these screenshots. As you can see, Wifi is en0 and my Ethernet controller is en2. Or am I getting something wrong?

wificcpoc.png

terminalen0rcuog.png

onboardethernetzhewx.png

You need an EFI string.

Download EFI Studio, open it up, generate it for your Ethernet card. Write to com.apple.boot.plist. Open up Clover Configurator, click "Devices", and paste that EFI string under "Properties"

And, as for your ethernet being en2, unless if you are using iCloud then it really does not matter what your devices are named. In that case, you will need ethernet to be en0.

@christ1111

@Maniac10

@apianti

wificcpoc.png

terminalen0rcuog.png

onboardethernetzhewx.png

Just remove your network interfaces from the system prefs > network, then readd them in correct order. It should now be en0 as ethernet and en1 as wifi, unless you got some other adapter going on, like i have firewire too so it shows up as en2 for me, after ethernet and wifi.

You need an EFI string.

Download EFI Studio, open it up, generate it for your Ethernet card. Write to com.apple.boot.plist. Open up Clover Configurator, click "Devices", and paste that EFI string under "Properties"

And, as for your ethernet being en2, unless if you are using iCloud then it really does not matter what your devices are named. In that case, you will need ethernet to be en0.

Nope, it is used for all of the services. Your en0 adapter's mac address is used to seed the uuid that is generated, it is also passed in the registration packet so that if your mac address changes then it will think you are on a different device entirely. However since apple expects that their devices have certain things, such as every one has builtin ethernet as en0 except macbookair, they make assumptions.

Here comes a little update. I am one step further now, because I was able to solve my App Store / iCloud issue. :)

@Maniac10

Your Serial was 16 digits long, one digit was missing :)

@ameris_cyning

Thank you for your advise. I could solve the issue without the EFI string using "Ethernet fix" in Clover.

@apianti

Clover's "Ethernet fix" was a part of the solution

@all

So here is what I had to do ...

1. Booted using Chameleon with FileNVRAM file, because my previously used CustomUUID which I've taken from Chameleon's System-ID without FileNVRAM seemed not to work probably.

2. Copied the new generated System-ID into <key>CustomUUID</key> and activated <key>InjectSystemID</key>

3. Booted Clover and generated a new config.plist by Terminal with ...

/usr/local/bin/clover-genconfig >config.plist

4. Copied <key>SmUUID</key> from the new generated config.plist into my own

5. Corrected <key>BoardSerialNumber</key>

6. Activated <key>FixLAN_2000</key> and <key>FixAirport_4000</key> and voila ... everything works! :)

So far, so good; but when I try to use my new Crucial M500 SSD with the same installation method and the same settings I used for my "normal" HDD, I'm always getting the boot0af error. :(  Is there any difference between installing Clover on a HDD or SSD? By the way, I used my pre generated Chameleon Installer to install Mavericks on the SSD.

Hi slayer2333,

Did you even look into /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist?

There is no "Mac-3CBD00234E554E41"!!!  :shock:

I don't know how Chameleon can work. May be with it Apple suppose "O! This is hackintosh! Let it work for a while!"  :thumbsdown_anim:

Hi slayer2333,

I don't know how Chameleon can work. May be with it Apple suppose "O! This is hackintosh! Let it work for a while!"  :thumbsdown_anim:

Good point Slice, i will give it a shot :frantics:

Hi slayer2333,

Megamegamegamega........ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

tried to open a new topic, didn't work ..

For the purpose of using a non-Apple video card (one which is supported on hackingtoshes through Clover) in a REAL Mac Pro: is it possible to install Clover on a real Mac, and boot OX X through it?

Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008 - EFI 1.3

For the purpose of using a non-Apple video card (one which is supported on hackingtoshes through Clover) in a REAL Mac Pro: is it possible to install Clover on a real Mac, and boot OX X through it?

Real Mac compatibility rev.981 10.01.2013

I don't know the procedure but people tested this.

• Like 2

Real Mac compatibility rev.981 10.01.2013

I don't know the procedure but people tested this.

OK great Slice, thank you, I'll find out.

I booted Clover USB via rEFInd; Clover sees the OS X install and correctly displaying its the name --> double-click --> boot starts, then kernel panic

anyway, it's a place to start :)

Thanks,

Bugs

Yes, it is possible. I am doing it on my MacBook3,1 to run 10.9.

You just need to make your SMBios data in config.plist as close as possible to your real SMBios data, disable all DSDT fixes and other unneeded fixes, make sure you do not have any unneeded drivers in drivers64UEFI (such as VboxHfs, OsxFatBinaryDrv, etc.), and also make sure you are not loading any unneeded kexts (such as FakeSMC).

After all, the MacPro3,1 is just another UEFI machine running on AppleEFI, which doesn't need any of the regular UEFI fixes or DSDT patches. ;)

Also, booting it via Refind like you did is fine and should work.

Edit: some corrections and additions

• Like 1

Yes, it is possible. I am doing it on my MacBook3,1 to run 10.9.

You just need to make your SMBios data in config.plist as close as possible to your real SMBios data, disable all DSDT fixes and other unneeded fixes, make sure you do not have any unneeded kexts in drivers64UEFI (such as AppleHFS, etc.), and also make sure you are not loading any unneeded kexts.

Also, booting it via Refind like you did is fine and should work.

:wub:  thank you so much, Pene, I'll try that tonight.

How is Mavericks running on your MacBook3,1 - totally fine? Are you happy? Feel free to post a link to another topic as to not hijack this topic here too much.

• Like 1

:wub:  thank you so much, Pene, I'll try that tonight.

How is Mavericks running on your MacBook3,1 - totally fine? Are you happy? Feel free to post a link to another topic as to not hijack this topic here too much.

I wouldn't call it totally fine... It's mostly fine, except that we have no good driver for X3100, so no much of graphics acceleration is working. The closest we have to a graphics driver for that is Apple's driver from 10.6.2, which was the only OSX version ever to include a 64-bit X3100 driver (it was added with 10.6.2 and removed with 10.6.3, probably because it was too broken and they decided it's easier to never support 64-bit on the MacBook3,1 than to fix the driver...).

But I still need 10.9 quite often for all kinds of tasks, so for that I can live with a crippled gfx driver (it works on 10.9 just as it did on 10.6.2 in 64-bit mode). And when I need a fully working gfx driver, I have no choice but use a 32-bit OSX.

• Like 1

I see., thanks for the info.

Regarding Clover, did you install it DIRECTLY to the ESP so your MacBook boots directly into Clover, or do you use rEFInd --> Clover --> 10.9? And with what settings did you install Clover? I realize that my Mac Pro's EFI 1.3 is NOT 64bit (and that the switch to 64bit for 10.8.5 or 10.9 occurs a bit later in the boot process, after rEFInd's 32 bit EFI boot loader passes over the booting to whatever is next).

The reason why I ask: with the Clover USB flash drive plugged in, my Mac Pro's EFI does NOT detect the USB Flash as something bootable .. but it does recognize the USB Flash w/ rEFInd .. so I did not dare yet to install Clover, missing the exact install config (32bit I bet).

Hi guys is there any way to get clover to support touch screen or to respond to device physical keys such as volume up down and windows button on a surface pro.

Touch screen is possible but when some developer will have it.

Volume up is not needed in Clover yet because we have no boot sound at all. After entering OS you will have all you need without Clover influence.

Windows button... In OSX it works as Options key. Clover interface seems not needed such modifier.

I see., thanks for the info.

Regarding Clover, did you install it DIRECTLY to the ESP so your MacBook boots directly into Clover, or do you use rEFInd --> Clover --> 10.9? And with what settings did you install Clover? I realize that my Mac Pro's EFI 1.3 is NOT 64bit (and that the switch to 64bit for 10.8.5 or 10.9 occurs a bit later in the boot process, after rEFInd's 32 bit EFI boot loader passes over the booting to whatever is next).

The reason why I ask: with the Clover USB flash drive plugged in, my Mac Pro's EFI does NOT detect the USB Flash as something bootable .. but it does recognize the USB Flash w/ rEFInd .. so I did not dare yet to install Clover, missing the exact install config (32bit I bet).

A few things:

First, I'm not sure why you think your EFI is not 64-bit and that there is some kind of "switch". MacPro3,1 has 64-bit EFI. Mavericks doesn't even support booting on 32-bit EFI (and MacPro3,1 is supported).

So, you are probably using rEFInd's 64bit EFI boot loader (and consequently Clover 64bit).

Second, for Macs you don't really need to install neither rEFInd nor Clover on ESP, as they can be installed to a regular HFS+ drive. And Apple's firmware will not detect any of them as bootable unless you "bless" the .efi which is used to boot (you can look up on rEFIt's or rEFInd's site how blessing works on Macs). The reason you see Clover as bootable in in rEFInd is because it scans all disks for various .efi bootloaders (while Apple's firmware doesn't do this, so there is no reason your Mac would see it directly as bootable).

When you installed rEFInd/rEFIt, you must have run a script which blessed the .efi (directly or indirectly), otherwise it wouldn't be bootable by itself. And for this matter, Clover is very similar to rEFInd in how you get it to be the main bootloader on a Mac.

Third, if you already have rEFInd working, and Clover not working, there is absolutely no reason for you to replace it. Try booting Clover from rEFInd like you did - this gives you the flexibility to make sure everything works properly (without losing the possibility to boot OSX), and when all's working, then you can consider replacing rEFInd with Clover.

And last but not least, you really should not use the installer to install Clover on a Mac, it was never meant for that. Use your USB disk, or install it manually to HDD - you can also just copy what's needed to the right place without blessing it, stay with rEFInd blessed, and it will pick up Clover from your HDD. And only after everything in Clover is all configured and working, consider blessing it if you want.

So, about "installing" - for Clover on a real Mac, all you need is to copy some files to an /efi directory (which as mentioned, on Macs, can be on any partition, including regular HFS+ ones).

In that /efi directory, create a CLOVER directory, and put there what you need. The basic needed files/directories are:

/efi/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi (which is 64-bit CLOVER)

/efi/CLOVER/config.plist (CLOVER's configuration file, which must be carefully configured and suited to your Mac model, with your SMBIOS information duplicated, and unneeded fixed disabled)

/efi/CLOVER/themes (subdirectory containing Clover's themes).

(Regarding other directories - such as acpi, misc, drivers64UEFI, kexts - they normally would not be needed on a real Mac, but of course its not a problem to add them. However, you need to be careful with what drivers/kexts you are copying, as normally none are needed on a Mac)

Note that by copying Clover's files you aren't replacing any of rEFInd's files, which still stay blessed, and when it boots it will pick up Clover from HDD without needing to use your USB anymore.

(And to make Clover the default bootloader, if/when you want that, all that's left is to bless /efi/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi)

Also, keep in mind that Clover was never targeted to be a bootloader for real Macs, and you are usually better off using refit or refind. It is really meant only for advanced cases where you need one of Clover's features (for example, I need its capability of patching SMBIOS information on my MacBook3,1, to make 10.9 think that it is actually a MacBookPro3,1). You also need to have a good knowledge of Clover's features, remember the fact that it replaces your original SMBIOS data when it is used, and be familiar with its configuration options.

• Like 2