Vista post-RC1 'test' release build 5728 - now PUBLIC

br0adband

36 posts in this topic

I've downloaded but not tryed vista rc1... let's see how this version has improved from beta 2, which I tried on a Celly 331, and it was a lil bit slow ;)

I don't know whether to laugh at that admission, feel sorry for you because of it, or start up a collection to get you a real computer.

:dev:

bb

MS screwed me on the reg key error which I don't need. I received 3 keys for RC1 5700 and when I tried to log in with my MSN account, it errored saying I got more than my share of keys and wouldn't give me the direct link to the download. I had to get the direct link from an outside site. I think it was because i download and got 3 different keys for Beta 2, pre-RC, RC1 5700, and now the current RC1 5728.

is there any issues with this build? cause it says it could be unstable :\

so far people have been saying that this build is way faster/more stable than 5600 and 5600 was a really stable build. i doubt there will be too many problems with it, we are getting very close to the final release, so most bugs are going to be worked out. microsoft only puts that line about being unstable because it isn't the final version.

Anyone else getting excited for the final version? I didn't think I would, but it seems like MS has at least partially gotten its act together on this one. Mainly I just want something better than XP...

use server 2003, it runs alot better than xp when set up right and is way better than xp or vista (so far, dont flame me about how good vista will be, cause idc)

max

Well, I should probably create a new thread for this post but whatever...

I had RC1 installed as soon as it was released, it was still a bit bloated but lightyears ahead of Beta 2 in terms of performance on this old Dell Inspiron 4150 with the following specs:

- Pentium 4-M 1.7 512KB L2

- 1GB DDR2100 running at CAS2

- ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 16MB running the XGA (1024x768) LCD

- Hitachi 80GB 7200 rpm 8MB hard drive

- Pioneer DVR-K05 slot loading dual layer DVD burner

- 3Com 3x905 10/100 NIC

- Atheros 5001X 11a/b mini-PCI card

- etc etc

Beta 2 sucked down like 700MB or so just to boot then leveled off around 450-500MB of usage at the Desktop.

RC1 sucked down about 500MB or so just to boot then leveled off around 380-400MB of usage at the Desktop.

5728 sucks down about 400-425 to boot, 300-340MB at the Desktop, a notable improvement.

The install time was 8 mins better than RC1 which was about 35 minutes. 5728 with 3 reboots was done in about 26 mins roughly.

It's faster, at least on this machine and I notice it pretty much whenever I do most anything. Explorer opens in a split second, even IE7 opens incredibly fast. Haven't installed any software on it and I probably won't. I forgot to mention I installed the Business-N version, not Ultimate, so that might have something to do with the speed increases I've noticed. I never install the Ultimate version because that is the supreme bloat for Vista and I simply don't need all that BS.

Business-N is the version of Vista most closely resembling XP Pro, so that's the one I intend to use when Vista is finally released. Should run very well on the MacBook Pro I believe I've decided upon.

We'll see...

bb

It´s the 3rd time I install RC1.

First was 5600 32 Bit and the second was the same 5600 but 64 bits.

Both ran fine in my system:

Pentium D 920 @ 3.75 Ghz

2 GB DDR 2 - 533 Corsair

Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard

1 250 SATA 2 Samsung HD

1 120 SATA 1 Maxtor HD

1 250 PATA Samsung HD

1 120 PATA Seagate HD

Radeon x1600XT Sapphire 256 Mb

Dell 19" LCD

Pionner DVR-A109

HP LaserJet 1020

HP ScanJet 3800

Everything running fine. The only card that is not supported is the Pixelview Mpeg2, but is not a major problem.

Both 5600 installations took about 20 minutes to complete. And about 30 sec to boot.

This 5728 release took less time to install and the same time to boot.

Now it consumes less 200/300 mb of memory in IDLE state.

Also speed is improved.

I think the final product will be faster and use less memory.

But I do have a question, how do you managed to choose which VISTA to install? Everytime I get VISTA Ultimate (running fine) here = 5.0 is the performance index (processor).

The key that Microsoft gave you is a Vista Ultimate key, so when it asks for a key, don't type one in, just click Next. It will {censored} about you not putting in a key, and you don't want to put one in, so click No and it'll pop up the list of available versions, just pick which one you want and install it.

Word of warning: by doing this, you can't activate your installation no matter which edition of Vista you choose to install. The Ultimate key only works for the Ultimate edition; once you install some other edition, you'll be limited to using it for the number of days (I think it's what, 7, or 3, can't remember) and then forced to reinstall to keep it working.

:D

bb

Anyone else getting excited for the final version? I didn't think I would, but it seems like MS has at least partially gotten its act together on this one. Mainly I just want something better than XP...

yeah, i've been getting more excited as i've seen the newer builds get faster. at beta 2 i thought vista was gonna be a complete failure, but 5728 is actually pretty speedy. i'm still more excited about leopard though...

The extra security features are nice, but also annoying.

Lets see when more RC`s come out or the final version.

I'm using the suggested antivirus. And you?

And for burning "files"? Are you using the internal feature or any program? I've tried the latest NERO and the new Roxio 9, with no luck.

I don't know whether to laugh at that admission, feel sorry for you because of it, or start up a collection to get you a real computer.

:dev:

bb

I own three computers, two of them can run vista ultimate edition pretty well, but I don't want to mess up my bootloader, because I already have Osx86 in them, and I don't want to delete it... so, I sell computers and I tried vista in one of them, it was an entry level one, instead of messing with bootloaders and partitioning software... When I'll sell a faster setup for other people, I'll try the new release ;)

But if you want to start a collection to get me a real computer, I'll wait for you :) :pirate2:

And what about the x64 version? Is it public too?

with acronis everything is fine here, 3 systems: XP, OSX and VISTA.

I´m not so sure but I think Darwin bootloader managers all of them too in my system.

Next time I'll boot pressing F8 to confirm that

I am extremely impressed with Vista by far... MS has truly picked up their work and done something with it for god's sake. It's come a long way from Longhorn PDC, and they have made something of it. When RC2 comes (if it does) I am seriously considering flipping from XP to Vista completely.

has it got opengl support in it?

No, opengl apps crash if you try to open them and Vista says: openglxl0.th.jpg

However, DirectX does really well with the WDDM driver and looks great (DirectX10 btw), but acted funny with the proprietary ATI driver with my x1600.

But this build is definately the best yet, not only of Vista but of Windows in general, IMO. After spending some time with it, I do like it much better than when I said I hated it in the 5600 thread. Especially with the performance of 5728.

use server 2003, it runs alot better than xp when set up right and is way better than xp or vista (so far, dont flame me about how good vista will be, cause idc)

max

hell yea