Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Hi, a newbie here...  I'm mostly a PC person but have some or average knowledge of Mac.   I have an AMD based PC with AM3+ processor / Gigabyte motherboard, and installed VIrtualBox to run Mac OSX 10.7 and 10.8 on my machine in the emulator.   First question, can I use the AMD patch to get this done and how do I use the patch to patch OSX 10.8 or 10.7 which I'm trying to install.  I've looked thru the standard installs I've found online and they all say that AMD processors are not supported in running OSX in Virtualbox on a PC (64bit).   I'm running WIndows 7 Pro....  I've looked thru some of the postings here and didn't see any obvious instructions so i decided to post.    Any help would be appreciated or a point in the right direction...

thanks

have you installed the latest XCode 5.1 Beta 5 Version? or do you use an older version?

Edited by spakk

.........is these the same version ? or newer Version?

I think it's the same version

Never mind, I had the newer build. I tried downgrading to 5.1 beta 5 but it still didn't work. Downgrading to 5.0.2 and using its command line tools finally worked for me. Still, I'm not sure why the newer version would cause a segmentation fault...

• Like 1

I have a FX 8320 based ESXi 5.5. For Mavericks. I installed the BSA_kernel and got it working. However I have to have all 8 cores assigned to this virtual machine otherwise it will throw a kernel panic. I also have a Lion VM and it was fine with 4 cores.

Does anyone have the same experience or has solution to use only four cores on Mavericks in VM?

Where are our sources?! Shame on you, Apple!

Yeah, we wait and we wait.

Also had another bad episode with Apple.

I used to be able to use my developer account (paid with bank transfer).

As of this year bank transfer is no longer an option (only {censored} credit card) so the 2nd of April it will be done developping for Apple...

I'm really angry at Apple for doing this...

Where's Steve? Damn you, why leave Timmy in charge ... ugh ...

• Like 3

To preface, I feel like I've looked everywhere to help myself before posting this:

I can't find information on whether or not this will install to an Acer AspireOne 722 Netbook (AMD C-60 APU). I've got the AnV kernel on my USB, but I get stuck at 'hfs: mounted XXXX on device root_device" no matter what flags I type in, unless I specify "busratio" (which loops through the opemu error), it just stays there. Sometimes even -x will cause it to loop. I did rollback the kext files to 10.9 and rebuild, but still a no go.

Tried with Mountain Lion but it would complain about backtrace .... PowerManagement, then ACPI kexts once I remove the PowerManagement kext. I'm trying Mavericks because it goes much further into the installation, except for the "hfs: mounted..." issue.

Any suggestions?

To preface, I feel like I've looked everywhere to help myself before posting this:

I can't find information on whether or not this will install to an Acer AspireOne 722 Netbook (AMD C-60 APU). I've got the AnV kernel on my USB, but I get stuck at 'hfs: mounted XXXX on device root_device" no matter what flags I type in, unless I specify "busratio" (which loops through the opemu error), it just stays there. Sometimes even -x will cause it to loop. I did rollback the kext files to 10.9 and rebuild, but still a no go.

Tried with Mountain Lion but it would complain about backtrace .... PowerManagement, then ACPI kexts once I remove the PowerManagement kext. I'm trying Mavericks because it goes much further into the installation, except for the "hfs: mounted..." issue.

Any suggestions?

OSX on AMD C -60 APU is not easy to install. So that you will be helped , so you should move your question here --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285760-help-topic-further-help-in-chatosx86hulegacykernel-irc/page-99

Edit:

• further make your signature with all your hardware , otherwise no one can help you properly
  • what other graphics card you have (yet) ? (sh_it this is a laptop ) The internal APU graphics card causes significant Install problems!!!
  • Perform the BIOS settings correctly
  • create the USB install stick with myHack, use the last BSA kernel (R6, R7, R8 or R9 as well) or Bronya's mach_kernel_rc4 or mach_kernel_rc4_fix, all amd_kernels should work, problem remains with your APU-GPU !!
  • Install the amd kernels in root of your USB install stick and boot so your system, try the following boot flags: -v-f npci=0x2000 cpus=1 , or -x npci=0x2000 cpus=1
  • (If your system get stuck somewhere, so make a picture and upload it here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285760-help-topic-further-help-in-chatosx86hulegacykernel-irc/page-99   )

good Luck!

Edited by spakk

I installed, but in an unconditional way. I used my desktop to install through it's external SATA Mount, copied over the AnV 10.9 mach kernel applied the appropriate kexts, DSDT, edited my chameleon boot file, applied the latest bootloader(chameleon), and then rebuilt S/L/E and E/E from Kext Wizard.

Messing with different boot flags I get to a new issue: SleepCapability. Unfortunately any attempt to alter my DSDT with an EHCI patch results it "ATT3" object not existing being produced.

On an additional note, the Nonpci kext was applied to my system too. That gave me better results than the "npci=0xX000" flags.

What is contained in my Extra Folder: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77418315/Extra.zip

I've included my Original DSDT pulled from an Ubuntu Live session.

Image: http://s28.postimg.org/d44xdd1rh/20140330_114204.jpg

Why, Apple, why? Why are you holding the sources back?

What about we flood the discussions.apple forums with source code requests for the latest releases? I'm sure a lot of guys from Cupertino check those forums on a daily basis...

• Like 1

Since you can rely on it, that they are watching us here up to 100 percent.

which we are become a thorn in there eyes.

SSSE3EMU ... that Apple has accepted teeth gnashing

but who intervened in the opcode? questionable.

:)

I do not see why Apple would worry core AMD, AMD focuses on APU with 2 modules max, as saying that this is the end of AMD CPU, Intel takes all markets, AMD PC are very isolated now even more isolated hackintosh AMD, Apple has no trouble to do on that side and even less developed AMD opcode.

je ne vois pas pourquoi Apple s'inquièterait du noyau AMD , AMD se concentre sur de l'APU avec 2 modules max , autant dire que c'est la fin des CPU AMD , Intel prend tout les marchés , les PC AMD sont très isolés maintenant et encore plus isolé en hackintosh AMD , Apple n'a aucun soucis à se faire de ce côté là et encore moins développé un opcode AMD . 

Still no sources @Apple...

I guess they won't give them anymore ?

• Like 2

Any solution to the clang compilation error from xcode 5.1??

maybe this can help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22313407/clang-error-unknown-argument-mno-fused-madd-python-package-installation-fa

on the other hand, Apple already has seeded Xcode 5.1.1 GM, maybe this will be solved in this release.

Xcode Release Notes

About Xcode 5.1.1 GM Seed

Supported Configurations

Xcode 5.1.1 supports development for iOS 7.1, OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.8. It supports running

on OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.8.4 or later.

Installation

This release is a single application bundle. To install, double-click the downloaded DMG file, and

drag the Xcode.app file to your Applications folder.

Within Xcode you can launch additional developer tools, such as Instruments and FileMerge, via

the menu item Xcode > Open Developer Tool. You can then keep the additional tools in your

Dock for access when Xcode is not running.

Installing Xcode on OS X Server

To ensure that OS X Server can use Xcode follow these steps to install Xcode:

1. Open the App Store and update OS X Mavericks and OS X Server 3.1

2. Download Xcode 5.1.1

3. Quit any running Xcode and Server

4. Install Xcode 5.1.1

5. Install OS X Server 3.1

6. Open OS X Server

7. Select the Xcode service, then click Choose and select Xcode 5.1.1

Technical Support and Learning Resources

Apple offers a number of resources where you can get Xcode development support:

http://developer.apple.com: The Apple Developer website is the best source for up-to-date

technical documentation on Xcode, iOS, and OS X.

http://developer.apple.com/xcode: The Xcode home page on the Apple Developer website

which provides information on acquiring the latest version of Xcode.

http://devforums.apple.com: Interact with other members of the community, as well as Apple

engineers, in a moderated web forum that also offers email notifications. The Developer

Forums feature a dedicated topic for Xcode developer previews.

Use http://bugreport.apple.com to report issues to Apple. Include detailed information of the

issue, including the system and developer tools version information, and any relevant crash logs

or console messages.

What’s New in Xcode 5.1

Arm64 is Now a Standard Architecture

Xcode 5.0 introduced support for building 64-bit iOS applications. The new architecture

was not enabled by default, that is, it was not added to the “standard architectures” list,

in order to give developers a transition period to opt into supporting it. To make 64-bit

easy to adopt, Xcode 5.0 also introduced a new Architectures setting: Standard

Architectures Including 64-Bit (ARCHS_STANDARD_INCLUDING_64_BIT).

In Xcode 5.1, arm64 is included as a standard architecture by default, so projects using

the standard architectures setting will now automatically start building for it along with

the other standard 32-bit architectures. Any project not able to support 64-bit will need

to specifically set the Architectures build setting to not include 64-bit.

To build for all architectures projects should remove any explicit Architectures setting:

i.e. use the default standard architectures setting. And projects that previously opted

into using the Xcode 5.0 "Standard Architectures Including 64-Bit” setting can now

remove it. The "Standard Architectures Including 64-Bit” setting has also been redefined

to be $(ARCHS_STANDARD).

When opening a project, Xcode 5.1 may display a warning about the use of the Xcode

5.0 setting: selecting the warning will provide a workflow to remove the setting for you.! !

OS X Garbage Collection

Xcode 5.1 does not support building and debugging apps and frameworks that use OS X

Objective-C garbage collection. Attempting to build such targets will result in a build error. It is

recommended that any projects using GC employ Xcode’s migration tool to convert to ARC

(Automatic Reference Counting).

Installing Device Support

Xcode has a new -installComponents command line argument. It will launch Xcode, install

Xcode's required device support packages and then quit Xcode. (15127411)

Debugging

Developers can now provide Quick Look content for their classes. When an instance of a class

is Quick Look'd via the variables view or a data tip, the debugger looks for a method named

debugQuickLookObject. This method is expected to return an object with an existing Xcode

Quick Look; e.g. UIImage, NSAttributedString, etc. (12723736)

In Xcode 5.1 log breakpoint actions now print out the logical value of expressions. For example,

a log breakpoint action like "myString = @myString@" will now print the value of myString,

rather than the pointer value. (13211695)

Interface Builder

IB documents can now contain specific information about new features they use and the OS

versions they require, so previous versions of Xcode can display better warning messages

when trying to open such documents. (7659982)

Building interfaces in Interface Builder using auto layout now offers the full suite of possible

constraint types: aspect ratios, proportional sizes and positions, cross attribute alignments, and

a new constraint inspector with features for editing nearly all properties of a constraint.

IB's constraint Attributes inspector now shows a constraint's items and attributes and allows

editing of the attributes. This enables the ability to create cross attribute constraints such as

view1.centerY = view2.bottom. (13739009)

IB now allows editing the relation of any type of constraint, including alignment constraints (e.g.

view1.leading = view2.width)

(14721954)

You can now create aspect ratio and proportional sizing constraints and edit the multiplier of

constraints in Interface Builder. The multipler can be a decimal number (e.g. 0.5), a fraction (1/2)

or an aspect ratio (1:2) (11935843)

Constraints attached to ambiguous views in IB now only draw orange in the axis with ambiguity.

This makes it even quicker to identify a potential problem in the canvas. (15114120)!

The canvas in IB now displays overlay scrollers when appropriate, based on the "Show scroll

bar" setting in the General pane in System Preferences. (10069033)

The Inspector now has support for:

• NSTableView's floatsGroupRows property (9617000)

• UISegmentedControl’s apportionsSegmentWidthsByContent property (9950528)

• UITableView’s sectionIndexBackgroundColor property (14776025)

• setting "Detail" button type for prototype UITableViewCell's editingAccessoryType property

(15039987)

Compiler

As of Apple LLVM compiler version 5.1 (clang-502) and later, the optimization level -O4 no

longer implies LTO (link time optimization). In order to build with LTO explicitly use the -flto

option in addition to the optimization level flag. (15633276)

Instruments & Symbolication

Instruments now finds symbols much more reliably. (14269449) If symbols aren't showing up

automatically, try the following:

• When Spotlight indexing is disabled for Xcode derived data, such as when using /tmp, add a global

list of additional Search Paths configured in Instruments' preferences.

• The context menu for an address now includes the option Symbolicate with DSYM... to add a

specific symbol file.

• Under the File menu, select Symbols... to see a more detailed list of the state of individual

executables and libraries. Green lights indicate the presence of symbols and source information,

yellow lights indicate libraries with some symbols but can still benefit from locating a dSYM, and red

lights indicate situations that prevented symbolication.

The instruments command line tool now supports specifying the simulator SDK and device type

using the "-w" flag. You can see a list of the supported simulator configurations, as well as

attached devices, by running "instruments -s devices”. (14996865)

General

Emoji and other Unicode surrogate pairs are now supported in scheme settings and in project

files. (14837623 & 13827044)

Issues Resolved in Xcode 5.1.1 GM Seed

Compiler

Fixed a compiled code crash on when targeting iOS 5.1.1. (16485980)

Fixed a compiled code crash when using ARC and C++. (16368824)

Updated compiler options logic to allow "Enforce Strict Aliasing" to be set to off with the -Ofast

flag. (16368909)

Fixed a compiler error after converting a project from SenTest to XCTest. (16387456)

Fixed a compiler error when using the -fsanitize=undefined-trap -fsanitize-undefined-trap-onerror

options. (16387418)

Debugging

Fixed a crash when debugging with Xcode. (16369101)

Fixed an Xcode crash with multiple debugging sessions. (16369025)

Fixed some issues with the UIView quick look popover in the Xcode variables view. (16368999)!

Fixed a problem with quick look for UIImageView. (16489265)

Fixed an issue where some objects would not display in the quick look popover on the first try.

(16368930)

Xcode Server

Fixed an issue where Xcode Server would sometimes incorrectly claim that the version of OS X

Server is incompatible. (16436893)

Xcode Build System

Fixed assertions when using the -parallelizeTargets xcodebuild option or the Xcode build

setting. (16420957)

Deprecation of SenTestingKit and OCUnit

SenTestingKit and OCUnit are deprecated and will be removed from a future release of Xcode.

Source code using OCUnit will generate warnings while being compiled. Developers need to

migrate to XCTest, by using the "Edit > Refactor > Convert to XCTest…" menu command.

Developers need to replace all their SenTestingKit and OCUnit code with XCTest.

Deprecation of ATS.framework

ATS.framework is being deprecated. Source code using ATS APIs will generate warnings while

being compiled. For 10.8, there will be no loss of functionality but there could be areas where

performance will suffer.

Developers need to replace all their ATS code (including ATSUI) with CoreText. ATS functionality

will be removed in future OS X releases:

More information about this change is available at: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/

#documentation/StringsTextFonts/Conceptual/CoreText_Programming/Introduction/

Introduction.html

Copyright Apple Inc. 2014 All Rights Reserved.

• Like 1

Still no sources @Apple...

I guess they won't give them anymore ?

my far-fetched note / suggestion've written here recently not so wrong.? Unfortunately Andy