[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have a really weird problem with Mavericks 10.9.x and AR5B195 mini-module AR9285 Wifi & AR3011 bluetooth, at boot up, the wifi and bluetooth are on but not active because it can't set to CountryCode US, it can't see any SSIDs at all. Now, when I put it to sleep and wake it up, everything works perfectly, US is set, bluetooth and wifi are active and connected extremely well. It doesn't matter what Chameleon version I use, right now I'm at r2377.

I tried clover and it doesn't have a problem connecting at boot up but it has problem of "still waiting for root device" since my HP Envy4-1117nr has 32GB SSD raid with the hard drive.

Most of the problems I read about wifi with Mavericks are waking up, not boot up, mine is boot up and work perfectly after wakes up. 

I had it worked once when I was debugging the installation, but now, it's totally back to failing at boot-up and working after sleep/wake.

If someone has any idea on how to fix this please let me know. It's a little frustrating to have to boot-up, put it to sleep (wait a little long for Mavericks ~30 sec), wakes it up and use wifi and bluetooth.

post-613357-0-36716200-1396893387_thumb.png

post-613357-0-68129100-1396893405_thumb.png

Thanks so much,

Louis

post-613357-0-46092200-1396902183_thumb.png

After sleep/wake 11:21: and 12:47 "US"

Boot up after iRepair @1:18:10PM.

Hello iFire,

Thanks for the file, I ran it and it didn't help.

I did try editing dsdt and it didn't help either. This is an amazing problem. The bios sees the card. I wonder how clover bootloader turns on the wifi - I can see it sets channel to 1-11 in verbos mode.

What's difference between booting up and waking up from sleep? initialization?

I tried to unload the kext, but it's already loaded, couldn't unload. 

It doesn't work only at boot up - after sleeps and wakes, it works every time. I think somehow, the boot loader fails to initialize the country code at boot, but from sleep to wake, it initialized and apply "US" code.

The way clover boots, it works at boot up without "US" country code.

Thanks for your input,

Louis

here a DSDT patch for this card

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0C)
{
    "AAPL,slot-name", 

Buffer (0x05)
    {
    "PCIe"
    }, 

"name", 

"pci168c,2a", 

"device-id", 

Unicode ("*"), 

"IOName", 

"pci168c,2a", 

"device_type", 

Buffer (0x11)
     {
          "Wi-Fi Controller"
     }, 

"model", 

Buffer (0x34)
     {
          "Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"
     }
     }, Local0)
  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
  Return (Local0)
}

and here to patch device id of your card in the kext System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
<string>pci168c,30</string>
<string>pci168c,2a</string>
<string>pci168c,2b</string>
<string>pci168c,2e</string>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,23</string>

Where do I add that? What's the correct codes and format please?

Thanks,

Louis

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{
   Store (Package (0x0C)
   {
    "AAPL,slot-name", 
    Buffer (0x05)
    {
      "PCIe"
    }, 
    "name", 
    "pci168c,2a", 
    "device-id", 
     Unicode ("*"), 
    "IOName", 
    "pci168c,2a", 
    "device_type", 
     Buffer (0x11)
     {
          "Wi-Fi Controller"
     }, 
     "model", 
     Buffer (0x34)
     {
           "Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"
     }
     "IO80211Locale", 
     Buffer (0x04)
     {
         "FCC"
     }, 

"IO80211CountryCode", 
     Buffer (0x03)
     {
         "US"
     }
     }, Local0)
   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
   Return (Local0)
}

Add and get error compilation.

post-613357-0-83631800-1396982789_thumb.png

Thanks,

Louis

PS: I think the problem is NOT that the kext is NOT working, it's working, but not at BOOT-UP. I checked with clover boot loader today on the external USB, and it assigned "US" without any problem from the first boot up, but it doesn't boot from hard drive "Still Waiting For Root Device". The initialization between Chameleon and Clover is different somehow.

How do we put a script for it to simulate sleep/wake at boot up?

Add and get error compilation.

attachicon.gifdsdterror.png

Thanks,

Louis

PS: I think the problem is NOT that the kext is NOT working, it's working, but not at BOOT-UP. I checked with clover boot loader today on the external USB, and it assigned "US" without any problem from the first boot up, but it doesn't boot from hard drive "Still Waiting For Root Device". The initialization between Chameleon and Clover is different somehow.

How do we put a script for it to simulate sleep/wake at boot up?

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist and remove these line.

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Network-Root</string>

Fix file permissions and reboot. Dont forget to backup the original first.

Hello Rals2007,

1. Removed the lines in info didn't work.

2. loaded the kext, removed the add in ssdt, the locale = FCC and CountryCode=US but it still didn't work at boot-up. 

post-613357-0-64867100-1397061061_thumb.png

Not connected 14 channels

post-613357-0-84601000-1397062036_thumb.png

Connected 11 channels

post-613357-0-44510400-1397062113_thumb.png

I think even we force the driver to US and FCC, but the initialization of the kernel fails to connect somehow. Can it be the Lapic patching of Chameleon? I'll try to use cpus=1 and remove the patch.

Thanks again,

Louis

Thanks Rals2007 but sorry, it didn't help. I did the comparison between the clover boot and chameleon boot is this.

Clover boot that works from boot-up - "airportd" is EN1 UP

post-613357-0-59791600-1397098548_thumb.png

post-613357-0-54496800-1397098641_thumb.png

Chameleon boot that doesn't work from boot - up - something about NOT powered "airportd" is EN1 DOWN

post-613357-0-44684700-1397098781_thumb.png

Chameleon somehow boot the wifi and doesn't see the atheros WIFI NOT powered up?

After wake up (chameleon)

post-613357-0-63657500-1397099147_thumb.png

post-613357-0-91522400-1397099160_thumb.png

I don't know much about how the boot loaders boot, but there are differences on the process numbers for clover and chameleon

Thanks,

Louis

post-613357-0-27769900-1397098727_thumb.png

You cant type \ in terminal?

You cant type \ in terminal

when I type in open /Volumes\OS\X\Install\ESD/BaseSystem.dmg it just says it doesn't exist!?

HEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!! >:(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I would also like to join the multitude of members of this community who are sincerely grateful to rockinron_1 for his crystal clear guide.
However, I seem to be unfortunately unable to progress with my 10.9.2 installation after creating the USB installer stick.

More precisely, although I apparently followed the guide step-by-step (indeed, applying the Mavericks' specific instructions in red whenever  this was needed), and although I now repeated a few times all the steps to create the installer stick (formatting it with a  GUID partition scheme and trying also with the MBR one), I am not able to get to the initial/main OSX installer splash screen.

In facts, after the usual initial lines displayed on the screen when booting the installer stick in verbose mode, everything gets always stuck after the line <<*** [iOBluetoothHCIController][searchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!>>

I am sure that the system is not completely frozen, both because I see the screen scrolling adding blank lines if I hit the enter key, and because if I remove the USB stick the display shows a message telling that the computer is waiting for the installer stick...

My current bare system, after removing any extra board and disk, is:

MB:    Asus P7P55D-E 

CPU:  I5-670

RAM: 4*2GB 1333

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5670

HD:   200GB Maxtor

I tried using, in whatever combination, all the usual boot flags (-f npci=0x2000/0x3000, PCIRootUID=0/1, cpus=1, maxmem=4096, Graphicsenabler=No/Yes...)

Even when using the -x flag the installer boot stops still at the same exact point.

Among the many attempted troubleshooting actions I did also:

• Download again a couple of times the 10.9.2 package from the apple site just to exclude from the possible root causes any incomplete download issue
  • Extract the mach_kernel file from the packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg in the downloaded 10.9.2 instead of using the one included in the Essential zip for Mavericks attached to this guide (to make sure that its version is 100% compatible with the 10.9 version I am trying to install).
  • Preventively remove any other card in my system else than my display adapter (see bare system details above)
  • Repeatedly restore system default in my bios and ensured that AHCI was enabled.
  • Obviously, make deem sure that I copied in the /S/L/E stick directories the FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement Kexts
  • make deem sure I saved a suitable SMBios settings selecting, in this sense, the iMAC 12.3 configuration that indeed seems to best match my hardware 

Still, I am not able to go any further than the above mentioned <<*** [iOBluetoothHCIController][searchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!>> line where the log stops on screen....

For the sake of clarity, I must highlight that previous attempts to install 10.9.2 using "### other" methods available on the web let me successfully start the Apple OS X installer (10.9.2) and to execute it up to its completion (including the usual post-installation steps like bootloader installer on the OS disk) and successfully boot (still with issues like sound and QE/CI missing and a need to use several flags) from the OS X installed drive, so I am quite sure that my bare system is potentially OK to install 10.9.2.

This said, I would indeed like to be able to successfully go through the steps described in this guide since it looks much much more promising to reach a fully working installation with the system I have.

To this extent, any help and suggestion about something else to try would be much appreciated.

By the way, all the above said I just have a lost-minute doubt that I would be happy to clear (to make sure that I did not really overlook any crucial step while preparing the usb stick):
step 2.1.3 of the tutorial states <<Go back to disk utility and click on “(Mac )OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop “(Mac )OS X Base System” to “source” and your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while>>
What's the meaning of the 'erase' directive? I don't find any "erase" button not any option that could be selected in the disk utility restore section.
I initially thought that the "restore than erase" could be the label of the restore button in disk utility, but this is not the case...

Thanks very much for your patience going through my long and verbose post (sorry about this...).

Marco

hello

ur problem is with graphics card

just delete the amd5000controller.kext and boot

-f -v GraphicsEnabler=No

after install u should see if ur graphics device id is in this kext

amd5000controller.kext and amdradeonx3000.kext

how to

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=736

good hack

Hi,

thanks very much for looking at my issue and for replying my help request.

Unfortunately, I just tried your recommendation but the system still stops at the same point and the splash screen of the installer does not popup.

Any other idea?

Thanks

Marco

EDIT:

Since I wanted to double check that I indeed moved the amd5000controller.kext out of S/L/E and not just 'copy' it to a backup folder, I double-checked the S/L/E content.

To my surprise, I found both the FakeSMC and the NullCPUPowerManagement kexts missing  :surprised: meaning that possibly I forgot to move them there during my n-th trial of rebuilding the USB stick last night. 

This proves the principle that when you're very tired would be better going to bed instead of insisting at 2:00 AM to fix some issues... :wallbash:

Now (of course, after removing the graphic kext) I could successfully reach the installer splash screen and launch the installation. At the time I'm writing this post, the installer is running on my other (hopefully) new Hackintosh (wish me Good Luck!...) 

Thanks very much for your help. :)