Monitor your temperature under OSX

aberracus

117 posts in this topic

hello guys...i have one question: how can i read the temperature of a AMD CPU? It's a Turion64 X2 TL-52.

In windows i've checked the sensors and the thermal zones and they were called TZ_1 , TZ_2 and TZ_3. I also checked a thermal kext in OSX and it shows that those zones are recognized and "something" is read from them (a decimal number with 4 digits). Can they be used to monitor my temps?

Thank you

same here, using a intel915 btx shuttle SB86i xpc.. since 10.4.9 i see "thermal-zone" in ioreg and a value that changes if under load but it updates just every 5 minutes or so, and theres no matching "HW-Sensor" i think thats the reason why we cant use all the temperature tools?

this stuff seems to be top secret, no docs to find about this on adc or somewhere else..

my front and ps fan have changing values too, post up some screenshots later..

"smart" temp regulation works pretty good, although it gets a bit too hot for my opinion..

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi!

I've made Thermal Monitor widget for DaemonES's thermo (See screenshot inside archive :unsure:

Installation:

0. Unpack archive provided here to /tmp for example

1. Install DaemonES's thermo (double click on thermo.pkg installer included in the archive), do not reboot!

2. Open root console, cd /tmp/blagecsThermoWidget

3. cp thermo-oneshot /sbin

4. chmod ugo+rx /sbin/thermo-oneshot

5. - reboot -

6. Open console as ordinary user and type: thermo-oneshot

Your output should look like this:

Cojy3:~/Desktop/Zeta blagec$ thermo-oneshot

Press any key to exit.

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name SYS temp: 40.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name CPU Temp: 44.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name AUX Temp: 46.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name CPU VCore: 1.24

Cojy3:~/Desktop/Zeta blagec$

If no sensors data is displayed, you have no luck ;( Abort mission

7. Double click on the widget icon. This will install the widget.

Notes:

* OS X 10.4.3 or higher requred. UPDATE: Leopard compatibility confirmed.

* I have applied one small binary patch to genuine thermo binary and created thermo-oneshot in order this to work: sleep is removed and program ends immediately after first display cycle (instead of the endless loop).

* Confirmed to work on ASUS P5PL2/C, 945PL Chipset + Intel Pentium D 915. Also tried on HP 7600dc + D820 without success.

* This software and widget are provided for educational purposes only, without any warranty. Please support Apple - buy real Mac!

* Many thanks to DaemonES!

Best regards,

blagec

blagecsThermoWidget_1.zip

Works great on my hack, thanks a bunch!!

If you could make this to display on the menu-bar it would be awesome...

Like this

tempsy7.png

Or if I want to to display this info on the desktop with Geektool, what would you do?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I changed my motherboard from a asrock 775i945gz to a msi 945gm3-f and the temps increased from 40-50 to 60-70... I'm using the same heatsink and fan, the same case, same processor, same everything, and i don't overclock or anything, so maybe there is really something wrong with readings in temerature monitor.

i have installed Mac OX on my HP dv 1677ea.

The Temperature Monitor shows Between 55-63 C always while in windows its about 30-35C i want to know whether its harmful for the CPU or whether the temperature monitor is showing wrong temp.

when i just boot my PC temperature monitor shows 28C and its goes upto 67c in 5min and then comes down and settles around 60 always.Whats the Max. allowable temp. for my processor?

Thanks.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]

Intel core duo (yonah) 1.83Ghz

1GB RAM

Conexant HD Audio (working)

SATA 100GB Hard Drive (working)

WIDCOMM bluetooth 2 (working)

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945BG (not working)

Touchpad (working)

USB 2 (working Flash drive and xternal hard drive detected)

Graphics Intel 945GM Express chipset (Working)

i have installed Mac OX on my HP dv 1677ea.

The Temperature Monitor shows Between 55-63 C always while in windows its about 30-35C i want to know whether its harmful for the CPU or whether the temperature monitor is showing wrong temp.

when i just boot my PC temperature monitor shows 28C and its goes upto 67c in 5min and then comes down and settles around 60 always.Whats the Max. allowable temp. for my processor?

Thanks.

Max temperature for _continious_ work is usually around 75C (depends of CPU), but I saw Intel's processor with dead fan working flawlessly at as high as 95C! Most modern CPU have thermal protection (throttling etc.) built in them, but they will work with the performance penalty in such circumstances. In extreme situations the CPU will shutdown. Even so, processor average life at operating temp (defined by manufacturer) will be decreased with raised temperature. Some components will die two time faster on average if temp is raised by 8C for example. On very high temps (above 100..120C) average CPU will be permanently damaged in very short time.

I think that root cause of your problem might be non-fuctional CPU power management and Volt/freq scaling.

Do you have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded? Some kernel dont work with this kext - and my CPU is much hotter without it! Some settings in BIOS can also make CPU hotter (QuietFan etc.) You should also try to enable SpeedStep if you can (especially on laptop).

There are people with much more knowledge than me about this topic, and I am encouraging them to join this discussion - and to correct me if I said something wrong.

Best Regards

blagec

Hi!

I've made Thermal Monitor widget for DaemonES's thermo (See screenshot inside archive :)

Installation:

0. Unpack archive provided here to /tmp for example

1. Install DaemonES's thermo (double click on thermo.pkg installer included in the archive), do not reboot!

2. Open root console, cd /tmp/blagecsThermoWidget

3. cp thermo-oneshot /sbin

4. chmod ugo+rx /sbin/thermo-oneshot

5. - reboot -

6. Open console as ordinary user and type: thermo-oneshot

Your output should look like this:

Cojy3:~/Desktop/Zeta blagec$ thermo-oneshot

Press any key to exit.

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name SYS temp: 40.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name CPU Temp: 44.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name AUX Temp: 46.00

Winbond W83627EHF/EF, W83627EHG/EG. Sensor name CPU VCore: 1.24

Cojy3:~/Desktop/Zeta blagec$

If no sensors data is displayed, you have no luck ;( Abort mission

7. Double click on the widget icon. This will install the widget.

Notes:

* OS X 10.4.3 or higher requred.

* I have applied one small binary patch to genuine thermo binary and created thermo-oneshot in order this to work: sleep is removed and program ends immediately after first display cycle (instead of the endless loop).

* Confirmed to work on ASUS P5PL2/C, 945PL Chipset + Intel Pentium D 915. Also tried on HP 7600dc + D820 without success.

* This software and widget are provided for educational purposes only, without any warranty. Please support Apple - buy real Mac!

* Many thanks to DaemonES!

Best regards,

blagec

Great too. My CPU shows about 20-25 °C, but I thinks this can't be. System is about 34 °C. Is this real or does the tool make mistakes by reading temperatures of my MSI board?

Great too. My CPU shows about 20-25 °C, but I thinks this can't be. System is about 34 °C. Is this real or does the tool make mistakes by reading temperatures of my MSI board?

Although the Sys temp is fine, I never saw an oridinary CPU working on 20C (excluding short period of startup).

I think that temp reading is aligned for Intel CPU, and since you have AMD readings are lower. Anyway, you can make simple correction:

- Enter BIOS: single core CPU in bios is at 100% load, wait for 5 min, and remember max CPU temp(T1) in BIOS. Remember m/b temps & Vcore also.

- Boot OSX, open console

- Leave machine idle for 5 min to reach lowest temp

- type thermo-oneshot (or thermo) in console (CPU temp in the response should be same as displayed by the widget)

- Apply 100% load on the CPU (this can be achieved by typing: while true; do echo 1; done) and see if temp is rising fast. If so, that is CPU temp, but should be recalculated. Wait for another 5 min under heavy load, and record maximal temp (T2). NOTE: On full load M/B temp will rise as well as CPU, but much slower.

You can easily change widget source to multiply reading by factor of K=(T1/T2) and display approx AMD temp. K should be around 2, I think. You may place Intel/AMD checkbox or correction factor sliders (multiplier K and constant C: Treal = K*Treported + C) in widget settings for example.

Regards

blagec

Well, with about more than 73 % to 80 % CPU load, CPU temp don't gets over 23 °C and System dont over 35 °C. I didn't added any multiplier or similiar yet.. but the temp don't rises much.. strange.. any other way to add new sensors or something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems to work pretty well with my GA-EP35-DS3P and Q6600. Sometimes the temps will blank out on some of the cores, but when they are there (for the majority of the time) they look fairly accurate. BIOS reads the temp at 31° at idle and Temperature Monitor reads each core 26°-30° at idle. I'm not sure if the BIOS just looks at one core or averages the temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember with the built-in CPU-sensor in the Conroe and later chips, that it's actually reading core-temperature as opposed to surface temperature. This will be about 10-20 degrees-C higher than what the motherboard temp-sensor reads (on those boards that actually have a CPU temp-sensor).