Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

I bought Gigabyte 965P DS3P rev 3.3 (P stands for Firewire onboard)

I'm runing Jas 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 update + gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2

System is working nice, but I have some questions:

1. Sound... I used Pion's patch from gigabyte ds3-4 pack and got only Stereo out, nothing more, no mic, no input, no digital...

(just solved sound problem with ALC888Audio.pkg http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520, I used 3ports + digital option when instaling. Got Line IN/OUT, MIC IN, DIGITAL IN/OUT)

I used the 6 ports option and got 5.1 working fine.

2. Sleep... When setting bios to "S1", resuming from sleep is working but S1 doesn't shut down power fan and CPU fan :)

"S3" shuts down everything nicely, but after resuming from sleep USB keyboard and mouse must be re-plugged to use them again :(

I think this might be more of a kernel issue than a hardware issue. If I use S3 then it doesn't even reinitialise the Finder correctly which is a pity. I might have a bit more of a play with this and see what other things might be causing issues with it (CPU Throttling etc.?)

3. Benchmark... can anyone post XBench 1.3 scores ? I'm interested what's good what's not. THX!

My benchmark attached. I'm running at standard clock speed at the moment (2.4Ghz instead of my usual 3.1Ghz) but there ya go.

Overall score, 138. CPU = 124, Thread = 237, Memory = 162, Quartz = 182, OpenGL = 167, UI = 456, Disk = 53.

This is on 10.4.10 with a 8.9.1 SSE3 kernel, 7900GT videocard.

Solved SLEEP problems ! ;)

Look at my signature...

I attached needed kext.

ok now to quote myself....

there is something weird going on with sleep function...

Sometimes, after resuming, it just stays on "beach ball of death" instead of bringing desktop or asking for a password....

(LAN is working, (I can tell it by working ICQ), monitor/video is working (I see beach ball), usb mouse is working (I can move beach ball), usb keyboard is working too (I resumed computer by pressing a key)

Kernel / finder problems ???

BUT most of the times it's working right....

I downloaded the JaS 10.4.8 DVD and started the install program, but when the installer asks for the partition, it shows my HDD as a 128 GB one, but it's 250 GB (Seagate ST3250820AS Sata II).

It's strange, because the other partitions above the first 128 GB aren't visible in the disk utility.

Anyway, I decided to install in the first partition (100 GB FAT32, converted to HFS+ Journaling). The install proccess starts ok, but after the part one, it shows a message like this: "Please, try installing again"

I don't know what's happening. The DVD test was OK.

How can I fix the HDD size detection and the install error?

I don't know if it's a problem caused by the motherboard or my HDD.

THANKS

Just thought you might be interested to know that I managed to install Jas 10.4.8 without having to jump through any hoops.

Set the DVD as master, HDD as the slave, both on the DS3's sole IDE port.

Installation went well, however upon reboot it would stop at the grey Apple.

So I rebooted again, saw the welcome message, and then "Cannot recognize the keyboard" screen, my USB mouse & keyboard weren't functioning. So I plugged in a PS2 keyboard and mouse... keyboard was detected, mouse did not work. So I hit the reset button, kept the PS2 keyboad plugged in, and plugged in the USB mouse. Oddly enough that worked. Then when the formalities were over, and the desktop was loaded, I plugged in the USB keyboard, and it worked fine. Go figure!

And voila, an easy *enough* installation!

Obviously I don't know how well the onboard sound works, but the LAN is fine. *EDIT: Sound works thanks to the gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2*

Setup:

E4300 @ 2.7Ghz (300Mhz FSB)

Gigabyte DS3 Rev3.3 F10 Bios

2GB PC2-6400 5-4-4

Leadtek 6600GT

Quantum Fireball AS 20.5GB IDE

Pioneer DVD-ROM 6X (From 1999!)

Now I'm going to try and install it on my main box, E6400 @ 3.2Ghz(400Mhz FSB), DS3 Rev1.0 F8 bios, 4GB PC2-6400 5-4-4, Leadtek 6600GT, Seagate 320GB SATA, Benq DW1640, Creative Labs Audigy.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok thanks, I guess i'll try a different drive :'-(I just don't get it... I thought a SATA WD and a SATA something else would do the same thing. Sabr have you switched drives yet? has anyone. I can't really go out and spend any more cash unless i'm sure (2 MoBo's + 3 Video cards into this project). Just to confirm: The Gigabyte SATA controller on mine (Purple tabs) is the same as everyone elses on here right? I'm using the GA-965P-S3 so I know it's the same Intel chip. Sorry, i'm still a little new to all this!
Hello BigBirdDo you have GA-965P-S3? If yes, did you ALC888 6 channels + Digital In/Out working? If true please tell me how? I've tried Taruga's and Skippy patches and didn't work!!!ThanksYuYu DJ
I got 10.4.8 to boot. Got IDE working, got Audio working (that installer was nice :thumbsdown_anim:) - but no luck on the internet still. I have a 965p-s3 board, not the ds3. Looking on newegg, I see the lan chipsets are different. For the s3 it is: Marvell 8056. For the ds3 it is: 88E8053.Do you think that could be the problem? It's kind of useless without internet :)
Just add your ID on IOAppleNetworkFamily.kext. In my mobo's is Ven 11AB DEV 4364. I've got fully internet.Did you have Audio ALC888 6ch+Spdif IN/Out working? How do you?ThanksYuYu DJ

Look here, my Xbench results, Disk Test 79.73, Overall 170.84 ;)

Do you have full Realtek ALC888 Azalia 6 channels output and digital spdif in/out support?

How did you do?

YuYu DJ

I bought Gigabyte 965P DS3P rev 3.3 (P stands for Firewire onboard)

I'm runing Jas 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 update + gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2

System is working nice, but I have some questions:

1. Sound... I used Pion's patch from gigabyte ds3-4 pack and got only Stereo out, nothing more, no mic, no input, no digital...

(just solved sound problem with ALC888Audio.pkg http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520, I used 3ports + digital option when instaling. Got Line IN/OUT, MIC IN, DIGITAL IN/OUT)

2. Sleep... When setting bios to "S1", resuming from sleep is working but S1 doesn't shut down power fan and CPU fan :)

"S3" shuts down everything nicely, but after resuming from sleep USB keyboard and mouse must be re-plugged to use them again :(

3. Benchmark... can anyone post XBench 1.3 scores ? I'm interested what's good what's not. THX!

THX!

Hello,

Could you try with ALC888Audio.pkg the 6ch out+Digital (last choice in the installer)?

I have GA-965P-S3 rev 3.3 and doesn't work...

THX

YuYu DJ

Gigabyte's SATA controller doesn't work in any OS but windows ATM.

Beyond that, the osx doesn't seem to like ICH8 to much as hd access speeds are horribly slow in osx.

If you want to run osx, avoid this board, or anything else 965.

Great, I just posted and was told to get this board.

Arrived today, and this explains why im having so much problems...

I have SATA drives with the OSX86 boot drive (10.4.8) on the port that's used for RAID (purple I think) andI got to burn uphuck 1.4i r3 successfully with a TDK DVD+R 16x but when I boot to DVD to make an installation it just shows me the Apple logo then after a while, it should this circle with a slash thing. What does it mean? and how do I solve this? My board is a revision 1.0

Gigabyte's SATA controller doesn't work in any OS but windows ATM.

Beyond that, the osx doesn't seem to like ICH8 to much as hd access speeds are horribly slow in osx.

If you want to run osx, avoid this board, or anything else 965.

i m not agree at all

hd speed is very good here !!!! ( i m doing video & music so i need great hd speed )

everything is as fast as in windows

& the 965 chipset is one of the best to get to run osx

dont know where you had your infos .....

So I finally got it all working! I'm still using 10.4.8 as 10.4.9 recgonizes my computer as a 1.6gig instead of 2.1

I used this cd:

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso

Find this package here and it will fix ethernet right up for you!

RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg

going to just buy a usb sound, its worth the 10 bucks over the hassle...

the two audio with ac883 didnt work, nor the betta 899a..sigh..

one last fight..

i cant get past 1024x768 on the 7950gt nvidia 512mb card...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9&hl=7950gt

but the site is down...

anyone know anyhting

Jas is the compatible installer for our board, isnt' it? I've had success with only Jas so far (uphuck and koolkal, not yet), from Jas .8 to .9 but .8 is more compatible. Btw if you still don't have 2 working purple ports, you just switch the OS X boot hardisk to the lower purple SATA. If you have two hardisk, it'll run in full speed and boot OS X too.

Jas is the compatible installer for our board, isnt' it? I've had success with only Jas so far (uphuck and koolkal, not yet), from Jas .8 to .9 but .8 is more compatible. Btw if you still don't have 2 working purple ports, you just switch the OS X boot hardisk to the lower purple SATA. If you have two hardisk, it'll run in full speed and boot OS X too.
Could you be a bit more detailed?I found out that if you do these exact settings that uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 will work:HDD plugged into yellow sataUSB DVD drivesata raid/achi - Enabledsata port 0-3: enabledonboard sata/ide device: enabledonboard sata /ide ctrl: achiI will say that my 10.4.8 jas ran on the purple sata and took 30 secs to bootuphuck on the yellow/orange takes about 2 mins. ughif you have the jas version, plug into purple and just install. boom

I went back to Jas' 10.4.8 after trying koolkal and uphuck 1.4 10.4.9 updates which seemed incompatible. I'm still gonna' try uphuck 1.3 to upgrade to try upgrading 10.4.9. Jas's 10.4.9 works but it doesn't recognize the CPU that it's overclocked- it sets it to default. I'm using an IDE DVD and 2 SATA drives both on the purple. I discovered that you could have the other one be detected on OSX without using the orange ports (putting it to legacy mode first in the BIOS), if you put the boot drive to the lower purple port and the other at the top (simply switching them). I must have overlooked it but I'm sure I'm not the first to discover it. Both my drives are not in full speed. My board is rev. 1.

Anyone here tried installing the uphuck 1.3 with this board revision or with the 3.3 rev?

I went back to Jas' 10.4.8 after trying koolkal and uphuck 1.4 10.4.9 updates which seemed incompatible. I'm still gonna' try uphuck 1.3 to upgrade to try upgrading 10.4.9. Jas's 10.4.9 works but it doesn't recognize the CPU that it's overclocked- it sets it to default. I'm using an IDE DVD and 2 SATA drives both on the purple. I discovered that you could have the other one be detected on OSX without using the orange ports (putting it to legacy mode first in the BIOS), if you put the boot drive to the lower purple port and the other at the top (simply switching them). I must have overlooked it but I'm sure I'm not the first to discover it. Both my drives are not in full speed. My board is rev. 1.

Anyone here tried installing the uphuck 1.3 with this board revision or with the 3.3 rev?

I got 1.3 to work on the first instal with i changed my bios settings to achi. and enabled port 0-3

installed with usb dvd and worked fine..

only things i noticed was my cpu speed was recgonized properly, though there is a fix (i didn't get it to work)

i find that everything seems to work a bit faster/compatible with jas 10.4.8

plus if you like i have a folder that sets up jas 10.4.8 in about 30 mins *audio, lan video, photoshop*

let me know how you do...

I have Uphuck v1.3 running for a couple of days now on my r3.3. seems stable, but had to deal with crashes initially.

Here are some of my setting that might be of help.

Sata ACHI ( top most setting) : Disabled

Sata/IDE: IDE

Power management :S3

SMART: enabled

sata port 0-3: disabled

first boot device : disabled ( i dont know if this has any affect, probably none)

OSX boot drive connected to 1st purple sata port

XP boot connected to first orange sata port

IDE DVD to IDE port

Problems encountered and fixed.

1. loginwindow.app crashing during boot ( from cold boot, restarting seems to work fine sometimes). In your bios set your video card to Auto, i had mine in turbo and it keeps crashing my nvidia 7300GT. Auto setting will get you a lower user interface score but doesnt crash, maybe an upgrade to 7600GT is in order.

2. PS keyboard did not work, so i slapped a usb one and installed the p/s2 fix from the gigabyte DS3 pack and worked.

I also remember juggling between AHCI, no AHCI etc etc in the bios to get it installed. i used only the intel files, loginwindow, titan ( for my 7300gt) and universal 3 kernel on the uphuck v1.3. i could not get the 1.4i r3 to work.

Specs.

gigabyte P965 DS3 3.3

Intel E2140 1.6Ghz @ 2.4Ghz (300x8 bus)

2gb ddr2

seagate 300gb sata II

EVGA 7300GT 256

xbench: 130

Adobe CS3, Aperture, iwork08(patched), iLife 08, etc

got JaS 10.4.8 working and updated it to 10.4.10 with Koolkal combo update, really easy:)

Hello,

Could you try with ALC888Audio.pkg the 6ch out+Digital (last choice in the installer)?

I have GA-965P-S3 rev 3.3 and doesn't work...

THX

YuYu DJ

I have GA-965P-S3 and use ALC883Audio.pkg 6ch out without Digital - > full sounds 5+1 support in and out! Both in 10.4.8 and in 10.4.9.

I don't know why you guys have all got your HDDs plugged into the JMicron controller... The ICH8 SATA controller is much better and works fine for me under OS X (though I'm using a DQ6, rather than a DS3.)

Edit: By the way, I don't think the ALC883 package will work on rev 3.3 DS3s which have the ALC888 instead of the ALC883 on the earlier revisions.

Please help me get working Mac OS X :P

I've installed without any troubles Mac OS X JaS 10.4.8.

PC reboots after installation, shows grey apple in center of screen, shows spinning wheel below grey apple.

After about 7 seconds screen gets black and monitor go into standby mode.

My PC:

1) FSP Blue Storm 400W

2) Core 2 Duo 4300

3) 2x1GB PC-6400 Samsung

4) Gigabyte 965P-DS3 ver 1.0, BIOS ver. F12 (that's why I posting here)

5) Radeon X550 256 MB Gigabyte connected by DVI link to Samsung 970P

6) 320GB Western Digital SATA-II 300 working in AHCI mode

7) DVD-RW ASUS 16082P IDE

Thanks in advance! :)

did you choosed the ATi display drivers in the installer?