Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

I have my SATA drive connected to the top purple slot, with native enabled, and ahci disabled to the other two bios options. What else am i missing? The drive will allow the system to be installed onto it, and i can see its files and folders from within a linux live cd, but it still refuses to boot. when i take out the dvd, nothing happens. the computer never leaves the bios screen. when i leave the dvd in, it counts down like normal and then stops at the screen telling me the selectable boot devices. i then either just press enter to boot normally, or try -v, or try designating the root drive with root=disk1s3 (or whatever it actually is. i cant remember off the top of my head). after trying those, it just boots right into the installer. however, it doesnt do any of this when i try booting an install from a usb hdd, so whats wrong with my setup? please help me out here guys. thanks

At Punkrockml13. After shutting down the PC, the drive you plan to boot OS X from should be in the purple SATA II ports. I have not set it up to AHCI in the BIOS, just IDE. You could also use the orange SATA II ports with its BIOS setting set to Legacy but the downside is, if your drive is faster than 1.5 Mb/s it will be slower. To be sure, just use the purple ports. Other SATA drives connected to the orange ports could be seen even even if its BIOS setting is set at IDE, if it's not going to be the boot drive.

I have my SATA drive connected to the purple ports and set to AHCI, not sure why people are having problems with that? I have a second revision board, maybe that's why :S

Okay i've successfully installed 10.4.8 on the DS4 moterboard, thanks to you guys! Now how do I update to 10.4.9? Has anyone done it on this board? Please explain :(

Haven't yet, I wanted to download the 10.4.9 Combo update from Demenoid (JAS) but there aren't any accounts available yet. I tried upgrading form the Apple site and it just refuses to boot after it's updated. Just reboots the computer automatically, so don't give that a try unless the update definately has "JAS" printed on it :(

Also, I haven't been able to get the PS/2 ports working correctly, either. Luckily I have an Apple store here in Southampton so I think I'll go buy a mac mouse and keyboard :D

Thanks for the help with all the drivers and everything (original posters).

I just ordered this board and get it on Tuesday!!! =)

One Question: When I hook up my LiteOn IDE burner using the SATA adapter will I experience and problems in speed or burn quality in XP or OSX?

I'm using a LITE-ON USB DVD burner and it's worked perfectly. However, I have a Sammy DVD drive connected via SATA and it wouldn't let me install Mac from it, I think you may have to use an external USB drive, that's what I've been hearing. Not sure about burning speeds, haven't tried it in Mac yet.

By the way, has anyone noticed the mouse cursor being kind of sluggish? It's alright if you move the mouse at normal speed, but say, if you're using the cursor to select text, it seems really tedious and a lot more hard work than XP!

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping for a quick assist here, a referral to another thread is fine, my search just turned up empty.

I've successfully dual booted OSX86 with XP and Vista on other machines, but my new machine with this Mobo is giving me trouble.

I attempted to partition my 500 gig SATA into 3 parts - Vista x64, Common Partition, and finally OSX86 partition.

Installed Vista X64 on first active NTFS partition, booting fine. Also created a second NTFS partition for misc file storage between the two OSes.

Tonight, I tried and install of the Jas 10.4.8 DVD on the 3rd partition. It really hosed stuff up -- It made itself active and totally corrupted the bootability of XP. Even when I F8'ed the darwin boot and selected the vista partition, it wasn't booting anymore. Gave me a file not found error on the bootup.

Did I do something wrong or miss a step with my partitioning? On past installs, I've just been able to install acronis, or use F8 and select my OS during the Darwin bootup. What happened this time that corrupted my Vista boot record?

My DVD drive is native SATA by the way, and I do believe I have everything in the proper color coded ports.

Really appreciate any assistance from the experts!

DMK

Need help:

I can´t get sound working anymore! I shut dow my machine one night and, the day after, the sound doesn´t work anymore.

I tried reinstall pion´s package but nothing happened. I tried the old way (Original Two Channel Technique): everything is correct but...no sound.

Any ideias?

Thx!

EDIT: sound is now working! I tried ALC883 and ALC888 packages: the second one did not work.

ALC883 was the right choice.

Well I just grabbed an 80gb ide from my other comp and tried installing and booting it. it works! im very happy now. Now just to get my damn 7600gs to work.

By the way i'm using the 965G DS3 (not P). This is exactly the same but has the intel x3000 graphics (which im not using).

I installed 10.4.8 on purple sata, sata native disabled and mose ide.. now I have to use the 2 purple for my windows raid so I have to put macosx86 on orange one.. but It won't boot (my grey apple show me a no smoking simbol..) what can I do?? thanks

I installed 10.4.8 on purple sata, sata native disabled and mose ide.. now I have to use the 2 purple for my windows raid so I have to put macosx86 on orange one.. but It won't boot (my grey apple show me a no smoking simbol..) what can I do?? thanks

Hum... I think you have to change the Bios settings. My 2 hard drivers are connected in orange ports and the system boots.

I am newbie in Mac OS X,

Got this message "still waiting for root device" when installing OSX 10.4.8.

I'm using Giga-byte DS3 mobo,

with 2 SATA dvd drives, both installed in 2nd orange sata port.

3 HDDs -- 2 SATA 320GB, both in 1st sata orange port,

1 PATA 120GB in IDE port.

Purple sata ports not in used.

Pre-installed Vista at 1 st SATA HDD, Win XP SP2 in 2nd SATA HDD.

I would like to install OSX on my empty PATA HDD.

In Bios:

SATA mode: disabled.

SATA 0~3 native : disabled.

On board SATA/IDE: Enabled, IDE.

my installation steps:

Disabled HDD those 2 SATA HDD,

Left PATA HDD alone in Bios, jumper set as master.

Boot from my sata DVD drive with OSX DVD, then stuck at "Still waiting for root device" message.

Please help.

If there is anyone with a Revision 2 P965-DS3 board and a seagate SATA 2 hdd and they have a working mac os x install, please give me your bios settings that are working for you. (i.e. the native option, the sata ahci option, and the onboard ahci option). Thank You!

Or could my setup not be working because I need to jumper my drive to work at the slower 1.5 gb/s as opposed to the full speed 3.0 gb/s that the drive is capable of?

My Installation works now, but the Performance is really slow.

With my E6400@ 3,2 Ghz and 1 GB DDR2 Dual Channel 800 i get a Score of under 500(Dual CPU Rendering) in Cinebench 9.5

In Windows XP i got around 1000 with the same System.

My Graphic Performance is also really slow, with my 7900GS i get around 7500 in Openmark (My G5 with a Radeon 9800Pro scored around 1000).

I used the JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 only DVD + JAS 10.4.9 Combo Update (Newest Kernel 8.9.1) and Pions Install Package 1.2 plus Diablos Nvidia Kext.

Is there a solution for the performance-loss?

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

I'm worried about changing this. Mine looks so different...

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x0$

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

What do I change here, and I'm not understanding HOW I change it... What is the keystroke for changing it? We're a bit over my head :)

i bought the IDE-to-SATA adapter for my Seagate 120G PATA drive, and plug it to Purple SATA port 0, set onboard to AHCI. The drive detected correctly, and I tried to install Mac OS X 10.4.8 thru LG SATA drive that plug in Orange Port.

At the end, still got this message "Still waiting for root device", before able to start any installation steps.

Please help.

I noticed something odd.

If i increase my CPU Frequency, the CPU Score gets lower (in Geekbench, Cinebench and Xbench).

The odd thing is, that with a FSB of 200 , my CPU Speed gets higher ( 3,2 Ghz = Low Score, 1,66 Ghz= higher Score).

Whats wrong with that?

Geekbench shows a Dual Core 1,6 Ghz CPU, even if my CPU runs at 3,2 Ghz.

Is it possible, that OS-X decreases the fsb automaticly?

how can i remove that?

My Harddisc is also really slow, and with my Geforce 7900GS (natit dual kext) gets a Openbench Score auf 10.000 .... (Shouldnt it get around 16-17K ?)

Why is everyone having problems with the SATA ports? I have a DS4 and i just plugged in my 2 hard drives and my DVD-RW drive all in the first 3Orange SATA ports on the board, with AHCI and native turned on in the BIOS and everything worked fine right away, OS X detects thedrives perfectly fine, even reports that it's in AHCI mode and has SMART enabled too...why are people fiddling with purple SATA ports and what not? I image that the DS3 board shouldn't be all that different from my DS4.

I've re-read this thread twice now and still cannot get the damn hard drive to run faster. My Xbench scores are terrible for the HD.

I tried plugging it into the purple SATA port, setting the BIOS settings you guys talked about, but I get "BOOT MGR IS MISSING, CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTART" I dunno :D

Results	45.12	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.4.8 (8L2127)
	Physical RAM		2048 MB
	Model		ADP2,1
	Drive Type		WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1
CPU Test	104.50	
	GCD Loop	237.28	12.51 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	114.21	2.71 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	84.12	2.78 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	74.53	12.98 Mops/sec
Thread Test	198.61	
	Computation	181.22	3.67 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	219.70	9.45 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	138.65	
	System	119.56	
		Allocate	114.57	420.74 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	130.90	6364.80 MB/sec
		Copy	114.63	2367.60 MB/sec
	Stream	164.99	
		Copy	153.30	3166.41 MB/sec
		Scale	152.24	3145.26 MB/sec
		Add	181.01	3855.80 MB/sec
		Triad	177.71	3801.70 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	149.39	
	Line	121.68	8.10 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	153.26	45.75 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	147.76	12.04 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	133.63	3.37 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	223.43	13.98 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	147.52	
	Spinning Squares	147.52	187.14 frames/sec
User Interface Test	370.93	
	Elements	370.93	1.70 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	8.54	
	Sequential	5.98	
		Uncached Write	4.95	3.04 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	5.20	2.94 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	9.63	2.82 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	5.84	2.94 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	14.94	
		Uncached Write	12.79	1.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	9.19	2.94 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	70.62	0.50 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	15.00	2.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I have GA-965P-S3 (BIOS F8) and Optiarc AD7170A DVD-RW. I try to use HW-628 SATA-to-IDE but it is incompatible with the DVD-RW.

Who have experience what is compatible DVD?

I tried all BIOS setting but fruitless.

I've read nearly every thread on the site, tried most of it... If someone could help me with the post I made above I would appreciate it. Been trying for a while to get this working.

I had the same error. What solved my problem was booting off the XP disk and deleting both partitions. Set bios settings (SATA native, IDE). Reboot on osX86 disk. I used Jas 10.4.8 (sourced from tbp). Used disk utility, erase 4 times and erased free space. Installed osX86. Booted, patched kext file to get the drives in AHCI mode, instructions are on this site. Set bios to AHCI on both. Rebooted. Installed sound driver. I am happy with speed. :censored2:

Everything you need can be found on this site, except the iso torrent file.

Link to sound driver.

sound driver

What else can you do? Install "Parallels" this will allow you to install XP, Vista, and Linux..... Very cool. :police:

post-113394-1181783859_thumb.jpg

Here are some screen shots of Parallels. :tomato:

installed_starting_updates.tiff

parallels_for_u.tiff

The sad truth is that it is easier to install XP in Parallels and the 91 update and the ensuing reboots are less painful; because you can browse in osX86 while the virtual machine reboots. Speed is not bad. I am using a E6600 and everything is snappy..... It is as fast as an AMD 3000 or better <purely subjective opinion, no benchmark to support>